Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
US store guard killed after mask row with customer

More info about this. The family left the store then returned with the gun. Some arrests made, thank goodness.

From the link.

"A woman has been charged along with her husband and son with killing a security guard who refused her daughter entry to a shop because she was not wearing a face covering.

Calvin Munerlyn, 43, was shot in the back of the head on Friday at the Family Dollar store in Flint, Michigan, one of the US states hardest hit by the pandemic.

He was attacked after telling 45-year-old Sharmel Teague's daughter she could not come into the shop without a state-mandated mask.

The mother's husband, Larry Teague, 44, and son, Ramonyea Bishop, 23, are accused of going to the store shortly afterwards and fatally attacking Mr Munerlyn.

Sharmel Teague has been arrested, but the two other suspects remain at large. All three face first-degree premeditated murder and firearms charges.

Larry Teague is also charged with violating the governor's order requiring face coverings inside stores in order to prevent coronavirus transmission.

Her daughter has not been charged.

_112149176_suspects.jpg
Image copyrightGENESEE COUNTY PROSECUTOR’S OFFICE
Image captionLarry Teague (l), Sharmel Teague (c) and Ramonyea Bishop (r) face murder charges
After the initial verbal altercation at the store, Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton told a news conference on Monday, Sharmel Teague shouted at and spat on Mr Munerlyn before driving away in a red GMC Envoy.

She returned a short while later with her son and husband before the fatal confrontation ensued, according to officials.

It was the son who allegedly pulled the trigger. "

Continued at link.

Last edited:
And so it begins... unemployment
IMO the crazy thing about this is the White House is considering a pay-roll tax cut. Well, if you're unemployed, that's not going to help.

A top executive at United Airlines is telling employees to consider leaving the company voluntarily as it grapples with the consequences of the coronavirus pandemic.

In a memo to some United Airlines staffers, which was obtained by CNN Business, Greg Hart — the company's chief operations officer — said the airline will need to "right size" its workforce.
United Airlines COO says employees should 'seriously consider' voluntary separation from the airline - CNN

And more...
California on Monday borrowed money from the federal government to make payments on unemployment benefits, the first state in the U.S. to do so, reports The Wall Street Journal.

Illinois and Connecticut may soon follow suit – both received approval for federal loans of up to $12.6 billion and $1.1 billion, respectively.

California borrowed $348 million after receiving approval to draw up to $10 billion until the end of July.
California Is 1st State to Borrow From US Over Soaring Joblessness; Others Are Lining Up

And one more...
Unemployment Rate in the United States is expected to be 15.00 percent by the end of this quarter, according to Trading Economics global macro models and analysts expectations. Looking forward, we estimate Unemployment Rate in the United States to stand at 19.00 in 12 months time.

A payroll tax cut doesn't do anything to help the economy. It does, however, reduce Social Security funding for future retirees. Apparently, that's the goal, to cut SS.

RSBM.
I guess it depends which sources one trusts the most. I respect your choice to trust the info China provided the WHO but, even though I'm not American, I would hesitate to label Department of Homeland Security reports as propaganda.
This is an analysis by the BBC.

Is there any evidence for coronavirus lab release idea?

It is quite a long article so I am just showing the final section below.

"Then there is the allegation of an accidental release of a natural virus from a lab. The proximity of the Wuhan seafood market, where the outbreak came to light, to at least two institutes carrying out research on infectious diseases fuelled speculation about a link. In addition to the WIV, the city is home to another centre - the Wuhan Centre for Disease Control and Prevention.

That the WIV had carried out research on bat coronaviruses is a matter of public record. This work was entirely legitimate and published in international journals. Given the country's experience with the Sars outbreak in the early 2000s, this should come as no surprise.

According to the widespread narrative, Sars-CoV-2 spread from the Huanan Seafood and Wildlife Market in Wuhan, where various species of live mammals were kept and sold. The idea is that a bat virus may have been transmitted to humans via an intermediate animal.

_111827424_thumbnail_c0172947-chinese_horseshoe_bat20-1.jpg
Image copyrightSPL
Image captionThe virus is thought to have originated in wildlife - most likely in bats
Some researchers raised questions about this explanation as early as January, when a paper in The Lancet showed that, while most of the early Covid-19 patients had been directly exposed to the market, many others had no known link. However, it's also possible those other patients were connected in some way that isn't yet understood.

Dr Lentzos said the issue of its origin was a "very difficult question", and added that "there have been quiet, behind-the-scene discussions... in the biosecurity expert community, questioning the seafood market origin that has come out very strongly from China".

But there is currently no evidence that any research institute in Wuhan was the source of Sars-CoV-2.

On 16 April, China's foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian addressed the matter at a news conference, telling journalists the World Health Organization's officials "have said multiple times there is no evidence the new coronavirus was created in a laboratory".

China has repeatedly been accused of lacking transparency in the early stages of the outbreak, and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said Beijing "needs to come clean" on what they know.

Amid this war of words between the countries, the painstaking - and largely unseen - scientific work to trace the origin of the virus will continue."

Last edited:
Having read the whole article, the pastor is social distancing his congregation plus instigating other measures so I believe he does have a very good point.

It doesn't look like he's doing that based on the photos at the link. JMO, most of the churches refusing to protect the public are motivated by money.

The law is the law, its there to protect the rights and health of innocent people, workers, health care providers, etc. It's there to protect communities. It's appalling that a few people are throwing temper tantrums and putting others at risk. MOO

I hven't posted in such a long time about covid19 because knowing a little science is dangerous. I was hoping for a scientific breakthrough but Arizona State University just identified a woman's test sample of Covid19 and it showed 80 some deletions in its genome sequence of 30,000 which is wonderful. I will try to find the exact scientific paper to link but this is the first time I feel like a corner is turned. The deletions show that that virus is weakening in even one person which is really something to celebrate, omg. How many other people have a weakened virus?!!!!!! If the virus attenuates over time, our immune systems will be able to fight this terrible virus, to me this is better than a vaccine but that is IMOO because it shows that this virus is being weakened. I have thrills and chills thinking about this! Thank God for all the scientists and lab assistants and donors who go in everyday to work with this virus under all kinds of conditions in their own lives. Will look for the scientific link! Might just be an abstract! Wonderful.

It has done what NextStrain is doing, mapping to follow. The paper is just noting that it found one and what it's sequence is, (says the deletion could be an effect of storage also) but says nothing to interpretation e.g. future prevalence. @Henry2326 has done many genomic mappings. It does appear that there are major clauds that are traveling through the world, which are shown on NextStrain.

For this one sample you are referring to, here is the non-peer reviewed upload of how they obtained the sample, and how they did the testing that you are referring to. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.17.20069641v1.full.pdf

Well, I guess that part of the "plan" is to reduce the current pool of Social Security recipients.

Europe is looking at us in shock and awe. US is coming apart at the seams - declining health care system and poor social safety net = economic decline. Say what you will, but countries like Germany, England, Italy and others are handling this much better.

It doesn't look like he's doing that based on the photos at the link. JMO, most of the churches refusing to protect the public are motivated by money.

The law is the law, its there to protect the rights and health of innocent people, workers, health care providers, etc. It's there to protect communities. It's appalling that a few people are throwing temper tantrums and putting others at risk. MOO

The photos may be families. I don't think he is having a temper tantrum. He appears to be limiting numbers to 25%, and keeping families more than 6 feet apart. This is what he says he is doing which is way more than stores are doing he says. See below.

"In an interview with MassLive on Monday, Casey acknowledged the gravity of the coronavirus pandemic. While not straying away from the danger associated with COVID-19, Casey explained his decision to conduct services at church are based on the first amendment as well as the precautions he’s taking.

“I’m thankful that our Founding Fathers created the first and fourteenth amendments along with the Bill of Rights,” Casey said. “Just because we’re in a crisis, doesn’t mean that Bill of Rights and the Constitution go into quarantine.”

Normally, the capacity of Adams Square Baptist Church is 325. However, Casey said he’s implemented new protocols that limit the capacity to about 50 to 80 people.

Every partitioner must wear a mask and gloves. If someone removes the mask or a glove is, the person is forced to leave. Casey said if anyone leaves their seat during the service, they are also forced to leave.

Each group, whether it’s a family or a single person, is separated by at least 6 feet.

“You don’t have someone walking around Lowe’s with a yardstick, or two yard sticks taped back-to-back saying you can’t get this close to somebody,” Casey said. “We do.”

Casey also said the church is cleaned prior to every service.

“The fact that we’re being persecuted for doing the right thing even though they say, well, you’re not doing the right thing, no, I totally am doing the right thing,” Casey said. “I’m doing better than what these stores are doing.”

In Baker’s order, home improvement stores, grocery stores and liquor stores are all deemed essential. Grocery stores must limit capacity to 40%. The order doesn’t close churches, but it limits services to 10 people or fewer.

Casey said he went to Lowe’s on Monday and counted 118 cars in the parking lot.

“One-hundred-and-eighteen cars. And yet I can guarantee you, people inside aren’t social distancing," Casey said. "There’s no police officer there issuing a citation. Do you see what I’m saying?” "

Last edited:
Global coronavirus death toll could be 60% higher than reported | Free to read

This article is interesting. It is actually tabulating the number of deaths reported in an area as an aggregate. For example, an area reports "54" COVID19 deaths. But the total number of deaths in the area is far higher than the report. The assumption is that there is a vast undercount of the total number of deaths due to COVID19.

<modsnip: removed political comment>

Last edited by a moderator:

More info about this. The family left the store then returned with the gun. Some arrests made, thank goodness.

From the link.

"A woman has been charged along with her husband and son with killing a security guard who refused her daughter entry to a shop because she was not wearing a face covering.

Calvin Munerlyn, 43, was shot in the back of the head on Friday at the Family Dollar store in Flint, Michigan, one of the US states hardest hit by the pandemic.

He was attacked after telling 45-year-old Sharmel Teague's daughter she could not come into the shop without a state-mandated mask.

The mother's husband, Larry Teague, 44, and son, Ramonyea Bishop, 23, are accused of going to the store shortly afterwards and fatally attacking Mr Munerlyn.

Sharmel Teague has been arrested, but the two other suspects remain at large. All three face first-degree premeditated murder and firearms charges.

Larry Teague is also charged with violating the governor's order requiring face coverings inside stores in order to prevent coronavirus transmission.

_112149176_suspects.jpg
Image captionLarry Teague (l), Sharmel Teague (c) and Ramonyea Bishop (r) face murder charges
After the initial verbal altercation at the store, Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton told a news conference on Monday, Sharmel Teague shouted at and spat on Mr Munerlyn before driving away in a red GMC Envoy.

She returned a short while later with her son and husband before the fatal confrontation ensued, according to officials.

It was the son who allegedly pulled the trigger. "

Continued at link.

Something I noticed in trips yesterday to the grocery store (hopefully the last trips for another month or so). People are doing their shopping with the whole family in tow. Groups of 6 or 8 people moving around the store together, none of them wearing masks. Kids and adults running around bumping into others, etc. I saw many groups like this in the stores I shopped at. Is it too much to ask that 1 or 2 adults go shopping and leave other family members at home?

The photos may be families. I don't think he is having a temper tantrum. He appears to be limiting numbers to 25%, and keeping families more than 6 feet apart. This is what he says he is doing which is way more than stores are doing he says. See below.

"In an interview with MassLive on Monday, Casey acknowledged the gravity of the coronavirus pandemic. While not straying away from the danger associated with COVID-19, Casey explained his decision to conduct services at church are based on the first amendment as well as the precautions he’s taking.

“I’m thankful that our Founding Fathers created the first and fourteenth amendments along with the Bill of Rights,” Casey said. “Just because we’re in a crisis, doesn’t mean that Bill of Rights and the Constitution go into quarantine.”

Normally, the capacity of Adams Square Baptist Church is 325. However, Casey said he’s implemented new protocols that limit the capacity to about 50 to 80 people.

Every partitioner must wear a mask and gloves. If someone removes the mask or a glove is, the person is forced to leave. Casey said if anyone leaves their seat during the service, they are also forced to leave.

Each group, whether it’s a family or a single person, is separated by at least 6 feet.

“You don’t have someone walking around Lowe’s with a yardstick, or two yard sticks taped back-to-back saying you can’t get this close to somebody,” Casey said. “We do.”

“The fact that we’re being persecuted for doing the right thing even though they say, well, you’re not doing the right thing, no, I totally am doing the right thing,” Casey said. “I’m doing better than what these stores are doing.”

In Baker’s order, home improvement stores, grocery stores and liquor stores are all deemed essential. Grocery stores must limit capacity to 40%. The order doesn’t close churches, but it limits services to 10 people or fewer.

“One-hundred-and-eighteen cars. And yet I can guarantee you, people inside aren’t social distancing," Casey said. "There’s no police officer there issuing a citation. Do you see what I’m saying?” "

As I've learned in many years of health care advocacy, unfortunately, failure is the only effective teaching tool for some institutions and groups. For some, its only when they personally experience a tragic and catastrophic situation that they realize the importance of prevention and minimizing risk.

Some folks are unable to empathize with others and the community at large and fully understand how their actions can affect others and, most importantly, that other people's lives are just as important as theirs. The latter is the biggest hurdle for many people today. I learned that in church, as a child. I guess they don't teach that in many churches today. It's at the core of many of our problems today.

From the link.

_112149176_suspects.jpg

It was the son who allegedly pulled the trigger. “

Continued at link.

Wonder if the jail where this group is being held has Coronavirus. Wouldn’t that be ironic?

'The favour is returned': 173 years on, Irish donors thank Native Americans

The organisers of a fundraising campaign for Native Americans hit by the coronavirus have thanked Irish donors for their support.

People from Ireland have been sending money through a '' page set up to help Navajo and Hopi families, with many of the Irish donors saying it was a way of saying thank you for the support shown to Ireland during the Great Famine.

In 1847, the Choctaw Native American people sent $170 of relief aid to Ireland, the equivalent of around $5,000 today.

This came at a time when the Choctaw people themselves were living in relative poverty.

The ‘’ page has so far raised $1.7m of its $2m target and organisers have thanked Irish people for their support.

"Several of our recent donations for our campaign have been inspired by the Great Hunger Famine in Ireland which started in 1845," said team member Vanessa Tulley.

"173 years later to today, the favour is returned through generous donations from the Irish people to the Navajo Nation during our time of crisis."

173 years on, Irish donors thank Native Americans

Maybe he is doing what’s right, but every church is not necessarily going to do this.

Agree Lowe’s and Home Depot should require masks.

Maybe the difference is in church a person is sitting for an extended time, while in Lowe’s people are moving and in and out quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emmab