Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. What is happening with blood vessels - is it constriction?
EDITED:
That is my opinion. When you can't smell you can't taste, could be a clotting issue as well...
However the eyes, would be the opposite, dilation of blood vessels.
So... maybe it's dilation of the nasal vessels that cause the loss of smell.
Something to do with the vessels of the nose and eyes for sure.
You know how your nose runs when you cry? It's all connected.
Moo

Last edited:
Warning over coronavirus scams and fake products

The public have been warned to stay vigilant to criminals selling fake coronavirus-related products.

The Local Government Association said some councils have seen a "significant surge" in reports of scams by those seeking to exploit virus fears.

More than 500,000 sub-standard masks were seized by a London council, while other criminals have attempted to trick people into giving personal details.

The LGA is calling on the public to report scams to their local council.

Fraudsters are seeking to take advantage of public fears by selling bogus medical products and other counterfeit items.

The LGA - which represents councils in England and Wales - said criminals have been preying on vulnerable and older people who are self-isolating.

In one case, a woman in her 80s answered the door to a man who demanded £220 to complete a health and safety check.

Meanwhile, a telephone conman is being investigated after posing as a Swindon Council worker sorting lockdown food parcels, in a bid to obtain a pensioner's personal details.

A car repair garage was reported after allegedly trying to sell coronavirus testing kits to customers.

In Ealing, 2,600 illegal bottles of hand sanitiser as well as 500,000 substandard face masks were taken off the market by the local council, according to the LGA.

Residents are being tricked into buying goods online, door-to-door, by phone, text and email, the LGA said, with councils advising people not to accept services from strangers or cold callers.

Simon Blackburn, chairman of the LGA's Safer and Stronger Communities Board, warned the public to be "cautious", adding: "If something doesn't seem right or sounds too good to be true, don't hesitate to end a phone call, bin a letter, delete an email or shut the door."

He advised people to report scams to avoid others becoming victims of these "despicable crimes" and so fraudsters could be brought to justice, with councils seeking "the toughest penalties".

It comes after the National Crime Agency (NCA) warned the virus was increasingly being used as a "hook to commit fraud" and that such scams were "likely to increase" during the pandemic.

And it's not just bogus health products being sold by fraudsters.

Some people hoping to buy kittens and puppies during the lockdown are being conned with fake online advertisements, according to Action Fraud, with victims losing more than £280,000 in two months.

Last edited:
EDITED:
That is my opinion. When you can't smell you can't taste, could be a clotting issue as well...
However the eyes, would be the opposite, dilation of blood vessels.
So... maybe it's dilation of the nasal vessels that cause the loss of smell.
Something to do with the vessels of the nose and eyes for sure.
You know how your nose runs when you cry? It's all connected.
Moo

I'm curious. Blood vessels that constrict or dilate unnecessarily, what controls constriction and dilation in blood vessels?

Coronavirus updates: Travellers to UK expected to face quarantine - BBC News

Summary
  1. The UK government plans to bring in a 14-day quarantine for arrivals from anywhere except the Republic of Ireland, airlines say
  2. The policy is expected to come into force at the end of May and require self-isolation at a private residence
  3. China's president has expressed concern about the threat of the coronavirus to North Korea and offered help
  4. In South Korea, renewed restrictions are imposed on bars and clubs after a series of transmissions linked to Seoul's leisure district
  5. In the US, a top aide to Vice-President Mike Pence tests positive for the virus - the second White House staffer this week
  6. On Friday, 75 years after the end of World War Two in Europe, The Queen said: “Never give up, never despair, that was the message of VE Day"
  7. US jobless rate rises to 14.7% - the highest level since World War Two
  8. Global confirmed cases of Covid-19 near 4 million, with 275,000 deaths

Last edited:
Coronavirus: Garden centres in England to reopen next week

Garden centres in England will be allowed to reopen next week as one of the early steps to ease coronavirus lockdown measures.

A senior government source told the BBC centres can reopen from Wednesday, if they comply with social distancing.

Nursery bosses must control the number of people inside their shops so customers can keep 2m from each other, while in-store cafes must stay closed.

The Welsh Government has said garden centres can open from Monday.

Wales' First Minister Mark Drakeford announced only "modest" changes to the lockdown on Friday - also including that people would be allowed to exercise more than once a day.

He warned that it was "too soon" to go further .

Prime Minister Boris Johnson will confirm the announcement regarding garden centres when he addresses the nation on Sunday.

Guidance issued by the government will tell garden centres they will not be able to reopen any cafes or playgrounds associated with the retail space.

Last edited:
Tesla ordered to keep main US plant closed

Electric car firm Tesla has been ordered to keep its main plant in the US closed, as California grapples with a coronavirus outbreak.

Chief executive Elon Musk had told staff "limited" production would resume on Friday at the Fremont factory, near San Francisco, according to CNBC.

But Alameda County says this could lead to a spike in coronavirus cases.

Nearly 9,500 cases have been reported in the San Francisco Bay Area, along with 342 virus-related deaths.

Since 23 March, all but "basic operations" have been suspended at the plant because of "shelter in place" orders enacted in the county. The factory employs more than 10,000 workers, and makes about 415,000 vehicles every year.

Last edited:
Hadn't thought about this, but I think the birthday candle industry will be another one to change forever:

96244841_2659615350955009_5670741145924141056_n.jpg
People will start baking cupcakes I think.

My DIL and I were just saying that about my granddaughter's birthday on Sunday. She is making cupcakes instead of a cake so the candle will be on just her cupcake. A number 5 candle.

There is only a ZOOM party anyway, but there will be a few people there for the party ---my son just went back to work in the office and got tested, he is negative. And his coworker and daughter will come too cuz they also just tested negative.

Malaria drug touted by Trump for coronavirus fails another test

Gene Emery
1 day ago
The malaria treatment repeatedly championed by U.S. President Donald Trump as a "game changer" in the fight against the novel coronavirus has again failed to show a benefit in patients hospitalised with COVID-19, according to a study released on Thursday.

While the study being published in the New England Journal of Medicine had certain limitations, doctors reported that the use of hydroxychloroquine neither lessened the need for patients requiring breathing assistance nor the risk of death.

"We didn't see any association between getting this medicine and the chance of dying or being intubated," lead researcher Dr. Neil Schluger told Reuters in a telephone interview. "The patients who got the drug didn't seem to do any better."

This seems to be the study which you are describing, for those who wish to read it in the New England Journal of Medicine.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2012410

From the study:
In this analysis involving a large sample of [1376] consecutive patients who had been hospitalized with Covid-19, the risk of intubation or death was not significantly higher or lower among patients who received hydroxychloroquine than among those who did not (hazard ratio, 1.04; 95% CI, 0.82 to 1.32). Given the observational design and the relatively wide confidence interval, the study should not be taken to rule out either benefit or harm of hydroxychloroquine treatment. However, our findings do not support the use of hydroxychloroquine at present, outside randomized clinical trials testing its efficacy.

Last edited:
I am saving so much money on hair appointments it has seriously made me reconsider their value. £100 per month at least. I'm easily taking care of it at home as well.
I actually miss all the appointments i had and likely won't have for a long time even after lockdown is lifted. Because even if you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it, until the virus goes away or they find a vaccine for it.

This seems to be the study which you are describing, for those who wish to read it in the New England Journal of Medicine.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2012410

Apparently a lot of hospitals jumped on it and started giving people those anti-malaria drugs. These drugs don't make good anti-virals.
They have been tried against other viruses and failed every time. They only seemed to have anti-viral properties in vitro, not in a live human being. They are not harmless either, as they have cardiovascular side effects.

Google extends coronavirus work-from-home plan till end of 2020
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05...navirus-work-from-home-plan-till-end-of-2020/

Facebook also reportedly extending employees’ option to work remotely

Google employees will continue working from home until the end of this year, CEO Sundar Pichai told workers. Employees who must return to offices will be able to do so starting in June or July, with extra safety precautions to prevent coronavirus transmission.

Facebook told it was planning to re-open offices July 6 but would let employees work from home through the end of 2020 if they wished.

I am saving so much money on hair appointments it has seriously made me reconsider their value. £100 per month at least. I'm easily taking care of it at home as well.
I'm saving a lot of money too, just by not having anywhere to spend it. I'm not particularly high-maintenance but even the little I do, I'm questioning the value of it.

It's not that I don't want to put effort into looking good (I really, really want a fresh hair cut!), but it's nice not wearing make-up all the time and I personally am enjoying seeing other women without all the fussy hair and make-up. We look real.

I like seeing the women newscasters, etc, who are now doing their own hair and make up. They look professional and presentable without the overly "glam" look which adds absolutely nothing to what they are saying.

On the rare occasion I see a woman in full makeup, on a Zoom chat for example as everyone I see in real life is wearing a mask, it looks a bit odd now. imo

I hope the more natural look, while still being well- groomed, will stick around. It's nice.

jmo

Coronavirus concern grows as White House staffers, Secret Service personnel test positive

The coronavirus appears to be a growing concern inside the White House.

At least 11 members of the Secret Service -- charged with protecting President Trump and other officials -- had the virus as of Thursday evening. According to the DHS, 23 other members of the Secret Service have recovered and some 60 of the agency's employees are self-quarantining as a precaution.

Meanwhile, Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Stephen Hahn -- who tested negative Friday, nevertheless plans to self-quarantine for two weeks after coming into contact with Vice President Mike Pence's press secretary Katie Miller, who was confirmed to have the virus Friday. She is married to senior White House adviser Stephen Miller.

Ivanka Trump’s personal assistant, who has been working from home for the last few weeks, tested positive this week.

One of President Trump’s valets, a U.S. Navy member who takes care of the president’s wardrobe along with other tasks, tested positive Thursday.

Still, Trump and Pence have both been criticized recently for not wearing masks around the public.

Okay, I ain’t budging out of this house! My state and my county got a big ole stinking FAIL.

i was not surprised at my State (FL) but was sortof surprised by my county.... but then I thought about how many more people are out and about.... with no masks. It's like waiting for a Level 5 hurricane (familiar to me, of course) just not sure if it going to hit (second wave) or surprise us with a miss ..

Snipped

Ibecause their business WILL bounce back. They will make a lot of money when they get the go-ahead to re-open - people will be clamoring to get an appointment. Their future income is pretty much secure.

jmo

Well, I guess it is easy for us to say, unless we walked in their shoes. I cannot agree that we know people's future is secure. I like optimisim, but that is not necessarily true. There are people who live on the edge, weekly getting by. The reality is many of these businesses will not come back. Small business don't have the means to sustain a long period of shutdown. The Feds cannot keep artificially propping them up. It just does not work long term.

Google extends coronavirus work-from-home plan till end of 2020
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05...navirus-work-from-home-plan-till-end-of-2020/

Facebook also reportedly extending employees’ option to work remotely

Google employees will continue working from home until the end of this year, CEO Sundar Pichai told workers. Employees who must return to offices will be able to do so starting in June or July, with extra safety precautions to prevent coronavirus transmission.

Facebook told it was planning to re-open offices July 6 but would let employees work from home through the end of 2020 if they wished.

This is something that I believe we will continue to see from employers who rely on workers with specialized skill sets. Google and Facebook employees are no doubt monitored for their productiveness while working at home.

It will be interesting to watch if employees with greater productiveness while working from home, are ever brought back into open concept offices. Open concept offices do not work well for those people who need to be creative. Those employees are generally introverts who need their own space to perform well.

Well, I guess it is easy for us to say, unless we walked in their shoes. I cannot agree that we know people's future is secure. I like optimisim, but that is not necessarily true. There are people who live on the edge, weekly getting by. The reality is many of these businesses will not come back. Small business don't have the means to sustain a long period of shutdown. The Feds cannot keep artificially propping them up. It just does not work long term.
Yes, of course. This situation is hard and I don't minimize that at all. Apologies if I sounded insensitive to people's pain.

jmo

i was not surprised at my State (FL) but was sortof surprised by my county.... but then I thought about how many more people are out and about.... with no masks. It's like waiting for a Level 5 hurricane (familiar to me, of course) just not sure if it going to hit (second wave) or surprise us with a miss ..
I am concerned about Wave 2, I admit.

There will be no excuse not to be prepared for Wave 2, if we are unable to prevent the next wave. Are we doing enough to prepare, to ensure resilience financially, medically, mentally?

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members