Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #57

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which opened up states are going back up? I would like to monitor them as UK is partially opening up a bit.

Just to point out, where you are quoting the deaths per 100,000 I think you must mean deaths per million right? Big difference obviously.

No, when I typed in the post you responded to (about the 50 in Georgia) I meant per 100,000. I didn't have my bigger calculator, and I was rounding off at the 100,000 mark.

Florida is the state to watch today (I posted a link not too far back). Keep in mind that Florida is sunnier and hasn't been doing too badly. But it does have lots of elderly people, so we shall stay tuned.

I received the results of my coronavirus antibody test on Saturday. I posted some background last week on why I chose to get the test (italics)-

Just signed up for a coronavirus antibody test. Tomorrow at 11:45AM. $130. Couple of days turnaround, I think.
Why? I think I had coronavirus, and would put the odds at 75%. This would likely mean my wife and daughters had it as well since we have been together for 2 months.

My symptoms-

Late February, early March: I felt off for about two and half weeks, experiencing unusual fatigue. I got winded and a little weak going up two sets of stairs where I never did before. I felt like I was running at 50-75% energy. The first week I was at my desk and felt a very strong fatigue come on and also felt slightly feverish. I took my temperature the next day but it was normal. From then, I just had the fatigue and my light cough persisted, tapering back to normal in a couple of weeks. Now none of this is particularly pointing to CV, but I suspect the virus since these were symptoms I never had before- I recall thinking that at the time. It wasn't until a month ago that I tied this episode to possibly being coronavirus.

My boss/colleague at work also had a month long cough, weakness etc before my episode. He joked about probably infecting everyone (10) at work with a cold, but this was before coronavirus was thought to be a possibility in Massachusetts.

So hoping for a great outcome- a positive reading. I repost with my results when I receive them.

The antibody test I am getting is by Quest Diagnostics.

Massachusetts has been hit pretty hard so maybe here in eastern MA there are 10% people that are AB positive. So my test has a false positive rate of ~ 1.25%. So out of 100 tests, there would be 10 accurate positive and 1.25 false positives (for my example), an 11% error rate. For a positive result, I would also then have my wife take it because if she tested positive as well, the false positive total error would be ~1%.

The Definitive Guide to Antibody Tests: What They Do, Where to Get Them, and How Much They Cost

So I have the results, but a little more detail. In the last week, I talked to a colleague at our small company of 10 people. He reminded me that at the beginning of February, five of the employees attended Photonics West in San Francisco, the biggest optics trade show in the U.S., and maybe the world. Upon returning, the attendees (age) had these outcomes-

EC (24)- very sick for a month
JN (57)- very sick for two weeks
SC (25)- not sick, but his girlfriend was diagnosed with COVID-19
AM (25)- not sick
AZ (25)- not sick

Not attending, but sick in this time period as well, was myself and the president, both 57. After revisiting this info, I bumped up my odds of having had CV to 90%.

So the test results came back with the following diagnosis: Negative for coronavirus antibodies.
You know, almost everyone hubby and I have talked to thinks they've had it. There's a new antibody test site a few miles from here and I've been tempted to get tested but now I don't know if I want to spend the $65. If everyone who thinks they've had it really did, then some of us should be dead by now IMO.

Something that really concerns me though, of the many out there who think they've had it, are they taking less precautions?

Last edited:
I received the results of my coronavirus antibody test on Saturday. I posted some background last week on why I chose to get the test (italics)-

Just signed up for a coronavirus antibody test. Tomorrow at 11:45AM. $130. Couple of days turnaround, I think.
Why? I think I had coronavirus, and would put the odds at 75%. This would likely mean my wife and daughters had it as well since we have been together for 2 months.

My symptoms-

Late February, early March: I felt off for about two and half weeks, experiencing unusual fatigue. I got winded and a little weak going up two sets of stairs where I never did before. I felt like I was running at 50-75% energy. The first week I was at my desk and felt a very strong fatigue come on and also felt slightly feverish. I took my temperature the next day but it was normal. From then, I just had the fatigue and my light cough persisted, tapering back to normal in a couple of weeks. Now none of this is particularly pointing to CV, but I suspect the virus since these were symptoms I never had before- I recall thinking that at the time. It wasn't until a month ago that I tied this episode to possibly being coronavirus.

My boss/colleague at work also had a month long cough, weakness etc before my episode. He joked about probably infecting everyone (10) at work with a cold, but this was before coronavirus was thought to be a possibility in Massachusetts.

So hoping for a great outcome- a positive reading. I repost with my results when I receive them.

The antibody test I am getting is by Quest Diagnostics.

Massachusetts has been hit pretty hard so maybe here in eastern MA there are 10% people that are AB positive. So my test has a false positive rate of ~ 1.25%. So out of 100 tests, there would be 10 accurate positive and 1.25 false positives (for my example), an 11% error rate. For a positive result, I would also then have my wife take it because if she tested positive as well, the false positive total error would be ~1%.

The Definitive Guide to Antibody Tests: What They Do, Where to Get Them, and How Much They Cost

So I have the results, but a little more detail. In the last week, I talked to a colleague at our small company of 10 people. He reminded me that at the beginning of February, five of the employees attended Photonics West in San Francisco, the biggest optics trade show in the U.S., and maybe the world. Upon returning, the attendees (age) had these outcomes-

EC (24)- very sick for a month
JN (57)- very sick for two weeks
SC (25)- not sick, but his girlfriend was diagnosed with COVID-19
AM (25)- not sick
AZ (25)- not sick

Not attending, but sick in this time period as well, was myself and the president, both 57. After revisiting this info, I bumped up my odds of having had CV to 90%.

So the test results came back with the following diagnosis: Negative for coronavirus antibodies.

I'm actually sorry you tested negative. :(

Editorial: Nicotine and SARS-CoV-2: COVID-19 may be a disease of the nicotinic cholinergic system

Can nicotine alternatives help combat Covid-19?

Tests to see if nicotine patches and other quit-smoking aids can help combat coronavirus have been called for by a group of Welsh doctors.

The three hospital consultants had already written in the British Medical Journal for investigations to be "urgently considered" to see if patches can help the body stop Covid-19.

French researchers are testing patches on coronavirus patients and France has subsequently limited their sale.

Now the Welsh doctors want more tests.

As trials continue in France, the consultants based in the south Wales valleys want to see what affect all nicotine replacement therapies, including gums, lozenges and nasal sprays, can have on people with coronavirus.

Funders of new drugs are to be contacted on the group's behalf by one of the UK's top anaesthetists in a bid to trial the theory in Wales.

Last month, data from a Paris hospital indicated that smokers were statistically less likely to be admitted for treatment for Covid-19.

This is a very interesting study and clinical trial. Researchers note the anti-inflammatory properties of nicotine which could be an inhibitor of pro-inflammation cytokines. Clinical trials are underway to see if nicotine could contribute to maintaining a balanced immune system response against viral infection. If positive results of clinical trial, nicotine patches, sprays, lozenges, etc. may be added to other therapeutic options, like antivirals.

I’m glad you got the first issue cleared up and your mom got her back pay. Sometimes the questions are not clear and it’s difficult to answer.
It’s impossible to get anyone on the phone.
What a mess.

Yes, and I am used to filing claims, have two masters degrees. Seriously, if I am making errors, heaven help the rest of those folks.

It is too early to say yet I'm saying it anyway, as that is why we are on here to share opinions, but avoiding a lockdown is benefit enough IMO. Any other benefit is a bonus.

I feel the whole world is benefiting from watching Sweden. Of course they will also experience economic hardship, but with some of the deeper harder issues we could face in the US, I do think that Sweden's model will be strongly considered if there is a second wave, whether it works or not within a particular culture. Even though, I feel the US would be one of the worst to try to adopt, because we don't like to pay attention to rules!!!

The US way of life is just based on credit. It will kill us. Large US corporations have been binging on debt for a long time. Drying up lines of credit for corps as well as consumers is going to be a huge part of the economic pain and misery.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-p...ebt-risk-tipping-point-after-pandemic-passes/

For cash-strapped Americans, loans are hard to come by

Ready for another stupid moment?

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison has filed an enforcement action against a bar owner who has vowed to reopen at least one of his bar locations in spite of Gov. Tim Walz's "Stay Safe Minnesota" executive order.

Kris Schiffler is the owner and manager of six "Shady's" bars: Shady's Hometown Tavern and Event Center in Albany, Shady's Long Shots in Cold Spring, Shady's Bar & Grill in New Munich, and Shady's Silver Spur in St. Martin, all in Stearns County; Shady's Railside in Rice, in Benton County; and Shady's Golden Eagle in Burtrum, in Todd County.

Earlier this month, Schiffler announced his intentions to reopen all of his bars May 18. Attorney General, Keith Ellison, threatened a $25,000 fine per violation.

SO WHAT HAS HAPPENED? The ******** page is now up to more than $189,567 in donations. AND, HE IS GOING TO REOPEN!

According to the State of Minnesota COVID-19 dashboard, Stearns County now has the second-higher number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the state. In the first week of May, COVID-19 cases increased 454 percent in Stearns County, compared to 95.5 percent across the state as a whole.

The county's rate of COVID-19 cases per capita is 2.5 times higher than Hennepin County and 3.5 times higher than Ramsey County.
Update: Bar owner was threatened by a judge. Decided to stay closed. What happens to the money collected through Go F M?

Maybe he needed to for his job---my son needed a test to return to work last week.

Maybe he thought he might have been exposed so he decided to get tested?

Maybe he wanted to visit elderly relatives so decided to see if he was negative?

In California, you do not need to have serious symptoms to take the test.
Your last sentence does answer it, I guess. I still think you have to have symptoms to get tests here in FL... so maybe looser in CA.

But boy oh boy are you right-----> That is a terrible terrible headline on that article.

Hubby and I learned a long time ago to seriously avoid borrowing money. We have no loans on our restaurant, we built it cash with the sale of another restaurant and real estate.
This is why we are not applying for the ppp loans. We might be wrong, but I have a strong gut feeling to stay away from a government controlled loan.

I feel the whole world is benefiting from watching Sweden. Of course they will also experience economic hardship, but with some of the deeper harder issues we could face in the US, I do think that Sweden's model will be strongly considered if there is a second wave, whether it works or not within a particular culture. Even though, I feel the US would be one of the worst to try to adopt, because we don't like to pay attention to rules!!!

The US way of life is just based on credit. It will kill us. Large US corporations have been binging on debt for a long time. Drying up lines of credit for corps as well as consumers is going to be a huge part of the economic pain and misery.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-p...ebt-risk-tipping-point-after-pandemic-passes/

For cash-strapped Americans, loans are hard to come by

And from a restaurant that has decided to permanently close. Wow. He said it well.
I am part of the executive team at VIVO. To be honest, it is exactly this mindset that helped lead to our closure. We agonized over the decision to open our 400 seat restaurant in the midst of this pandemic. It is not about politics. It is about public health. That responsibility falls squarely on us. We determined that we cannot control the compliance to safety protocols or the behavior of our guests and it scared the hell out of us. Take some responsibility upon yourself for this closure and others like it.

Last edited:
Dr. Seheult last video #71 update has been taken down by YouTube bots/auto thingies. He said that might happen, I think due to he was reviewing a report on zinc/azith/chloroquine, and put that in his subject for the video (which many YouTubers that are science/Drs try to avoid in their titles for that very reason). I'll keep my eye out for his next one as we here know, he is not a quack.

Dr. Campbell is safe so far! Here are his two latest as folks all over are now speaking to mental health.

Yes he did indicate that that might happen... You think it was just because of the chloraquine???? Have you subscribed??? I usually try to avoid, but I really do want to keep track of his data...sometimes I have to go back a re-review what he has said.

Do you know if it cost anything to subscribe? He did indicate they would stay available if we are under subscription. But I basically don't trust subscribing. I often take notes from his lectures, but did not for #71. drat.

Hubby and I learned a long time ago to seriously avoid borrowing money. We have no loans on our restaurant, we built it cash with the sale of another restaurant and real estate.
This is why we are not applying for the ppp loans. We might be wrong, but I have a strong gut feeling to stay away from a government controlled loan.

I feel this will be your saving grace!

I know a number of medium sized operations that have been run on lines of credit for years.... when the lines of credit dry up businesses and people will not be able to just swap out yet another credit line. And I don't think we will see this right away. But it will be coming.

Only for the countries. I could not find a column on the individual states. Here's what I am looking at.

Link to follow.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 4,833,463 Cases and 317,225 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

USA deaths per million column = 275

United States Coronavirus: 1,529,291 Cases and 91,005 Deaths - Worldometer

Michigan deaths per million = 490

Forgive me - the state level does show it.

Its county level that doesn't show it. See California counties in link below.

California Coronavirus: 80,265 Cases and 3,289 Deaths (COVID-19 ) - Worldometer

I use this site for county data, since I do want to follow a few different states. I think it updates twice a day.

Global COVID-19 Tracker & Interactive Charts | Real Time Updates & Digestable Information for Everyone | 1Point3Acres

Only for the countries. I could not find a column on the individual states. Here's what I am looking at.

Link to follow.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 4,833,463 Cases and 317,225 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

I use this site for county data, since I do want to follow a few different states. I think it updates twice a day.

Global COVID-19 Tracker & Interactive Charts | Real Time Updates & Digestable Information for Everyone | 1Point3Acres
I did not find the patches at all addictive when I was giving up smoking some years ago. I wasn't a particularly heavy smoker though.

The article does go to great lengths regarding all the many many reasons to not smoke, of course. So I don't think it is really shady.
There were a set of studies about 5-6 weeks ago as well, so it is good to get updates on any of these things being tested/researched. Like, what ever happened to those studies on Pepsid!!!???

Link to follow.

I did not find the patches at all addictive when I was giving up smoking some years ago. I wasn't a particularly heavy smoker though.

The article does go to great lengths regarding all the many many reasons to not smoke, of course. So I don't think it is really shady.
There were a set of studies about 5-6 weeks ago as well, so it is good to get updates on any of these things being tested/researched. Like, what ever happened to those studies on Pepsid!!!???

ha ha!! Did you used a Translater???

Yesterday, the US had 19,891 new cases of CoVid and 865 deaths, bringing total deaths for the US to almost 91,000 people.

Unfortunately, a lot of counties across the nation have stopped updating deaths on the weekend, so we'll see a need to smooth the data when today's figures are reported. I'm guessing the smoothed average for the past three days will be around 1000 deaths per day, maybe slightly less.

That brings us to 295 deaths per million in the USA. If we can stay at 800 deaths per day until the end of May, that's around 10,000 more deaths by June 1.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 4,864,623 Cases and 318,821 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

Many factors affect the tail of a viral outbreak. We're seeing that people who had two negative tests can sometimes test positive again (very concerning). These are sailors who weren't declared "recovered" until they'd had two negative tests - but now they're shedding virus again. There are several other reports of this type, from Wuhan, Italy, France and elsewhere.

I've seen this discussed before. It's tough for someone making minimum wage to give up this temporary windfall. If their place of business reopens though, and they have a job waiting, they may no longer be able to collect unemployment. Plus, whether they realize it, this money is subject to taxation. And no tax is being collected from the extra $600 presently.

I think we all new this was going to happen......... with all that flooding of money going out. But it had to out fast so managing it be be equitable based on what it was replacing was just not feasible, imo.
I wish there had been some "public service announcements/discussions about this along the way...

and yet there are still so many people that cannot get through the dismal failing unemployment system in FL. The governor is blaming the former governor (Rick Scott, now Senator Scott) big time...and is going to be funding some huge investigation against Scott's role in designing and paying for said system.

oy vey.

Yes, I agree that it's possible. That's the whole point of social distancing, closing everything down, and washing like crazy with soap. As victims are harder to find, the virus will peter out. It's already happened in places that have been vigilant.

But, without humans working hard to stop the spread, I can't see it petering out on its own. For this virus, the world is its oyster.
Yup, As long as there are hosts, this highly contagious virus will thrive. There is a world full of hosts out there.

Mexico healthcare workers attacked for doing their job
18 May 2020
''Mexican nurse Ligia Kantun says that in 40 years of work, she has never witnessed such a poisonous reaction to health workers. While in many countries doctors and nurses are being praised for their work on the coronavirus front line, in Mexico dozens have been attacked.

Ligia, 59, says that she has worked during the swine flu pandemic in 2009 and an outbreak of cholera in 2013, but some people are "behaving psychotically in response to this virus. It is terrible".

She was attacked on 8 April after leaving work in her hometown of Merida, Yucatan. Someone drove past her and threw hot coffee down her back. "Infected!" they yelled through the car window before speeding away.

She says that luckily she was not badly injured but recognises it could have been worse.

As of 28 April, there have been at least 47 attacks against health workers, particularly nurses, in the country, the Mexican government says. And the authorities recognise the true figure may be higher - reports on social media of discrimination range from nurses stopped from getting on buses to doctors assaulted by relatives of Covid-19 patients.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mojojojo