Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #63

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, he must not have a lot of confidence in the one hour tests in use at the White House. Perhaps this explains his own physical distancing.

I would think basketball would be just as bad (is it ever held outdoors?) Lots of breathing and close contact in basketball too and no breezes. I guess a lot of FB is indoors these days too.

If the teams had invested in rapid testing set-ups, I wonder if Fauci would approve? I assume they are doing daily testing, but probably don't get the results in time for that day's practice.

Oh well. Not my gig. I am feeling for my friends and family who love the game and have so much fun watching football. I wonder what colleges and high schools will do. But, as everyone says, each person makes their own decisions (despite the fact that many businesses and schools make joint decisions at the top, not by democratic vote or will of the players).

Golf will be the only sport on TV, maybe even with distanced spectators. Maybe some beach volleyball. Archery. Tennis (without spectators; no doubles).

Baseball is going ahead, right?
BBM

Major League Baseball says 60-game season will start July 23 or 24 - CNN

Updated 11:38 PM ET, Tue June 23, 2020
200616111849-mlb-logo-file-exlarge-169.jpg

Last edited:
I hope so too. And I hope everyone's loved ones are alive and well, too. Preferably not having had CoVId at all.

I am steeled, now, for the inevitable "first case" among my local family. My dear cousin is already quite ill in Colorado (works in a higher risk job). We think he's going to make it (no underlying conditions except age - he's 69, almost 70).
Happened already in our house. DH has completely recovered and is doing all his normal stuff again. We were lucky with him as he does have several underlying conditions and age working against him. I still worry about my parents, but they are staying inside (separately/no longer married) and doing groceries online, drop-offs from family, etc.

Reality check for those who do not take Covid 19 seriously.

U.S.: 38,000+ new cases yesterday

Canada: 279 new cases yesterday

(Current border closure in place until July 21).

For per-capita comparison, Canada has a population of 37.7m, 1/10th of USA at 330m. Based on population, if Canada had 279 new cases, the States would be comparable with approximately 2790 new cases.

Why opening the Canada-U.S. border is unlikely

Happened already in our house. DH has completely recovered and is doing all his normal stuff again. We were lucky with him as he does have several underlying conditions and age working against him. I still worry about my parents, but they are staying inside (separately/no longer married) and doing groceries online, drop-offs from family, etc.
Glad your hubby has done so well. Yes we do worry for our own elders. Sounds like they are doing all they should.

Sure wish we had a crystal ball. Where will we all be say even just a year from now.

There are currently over 100 different COVID-19 vaccine candidates. It is likely that one or more of these will be confirmed as safe and effective. There should be a vaccine in mass production during the first half of 2021.

Local tv coronavirus briefing
Source- my ears

Gov. Ducey:
Arizona is on pause

I just finished watching the presser. Sounded kind of exactly like what came out of Texas yesterday: Not good, wear a mask, you have no reason to leave home, authorities cited a crowded club in Scottsdale. So it's like these responses are being written by a single source.

He said they expect all metrics to get worse over next two weeks, so I assume they won't be shutting down the boozer just yet. He did tell a reporter, during QA, that this will be with us for a long time and we need to learn to live with it. So it sounds like the plan is a "voluntary lock down," kind of like the "curfew" several weeks ago. Enough people will stay home to help lower the metrics, while those of us out living our lives will be a small enough minority to not move the needle.

There are currently over 100 different COVID-19 vaccine candidates. It is likely that one or more of these will be confirmed as safe and effective. There should be a vaccine in mass production during the first half of 2021.

I believe Moderna is the front runner:

Moderna eyes third quarter for first doses of potential COVID-19 vaccine with Catalent deal

The vaccine, among the first to be tested in humans in the United States, was found to produce protective antibodies in a small group of healthy volunteers last month.

Catalent will fill and package doses, support production and provide additional staffing for around-the-clock operations to produce the vaccine, which is still in clinical trials.

Moderna is preparing to begin the final stages of testing in July to evaluate the vaccine's effectiveness in around 30,000 adult trial participants.

Last edited:
CDC adds 3 new coronavirus symptoms to list

Congestion or runny nose, nausea, and diarrhea were added, joining the federal agency's list that already included fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell and sore throat.

Everyone in public in the US ?

(The link is not Europe friendly.)

Sorry, I forget about Europe not being able to access sites.

From the link I posted:
June 1, 2020
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The World Health Organization is reiterating that healthy people should not wear face masks — though the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention disagrees.

The WHO says people should wear masks only if they are showing COVID-19 symptoms or taking care of someone with the disease.

The organization said its guidance has not changed since the pandemic began in March.

However, the CDC still recommends that everyone in public should wear a mask. The U.S. agency said that scientific evidence suggests that masks help curb the spread from people who are asymptomatic.
World Health Organization, CDC disagree on mask use in public

From the CDC website dated today, June 25 in the section “What you can do” “How to Protect yourself and others” which discusses washing hands, social distancing, etc.
Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others
  • You could spread COVID-19 to others even if you do not feel sick.
  • Everyone should wear a cloth face cover when they have to go out in public, for example to the grocery store or to pick up other necessities.
    • Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.
  • The cloth face cover is meant to protect other people in case you are infected.
  • Do NOT use a facemask meant for a healthcare worker.
  • Continue to keep about 6 feet between yourself and others. The cloth face cover is not a substitute for social distancing.
BBM
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) – Prevention & Treatment

CDC adds 3 new coronavirus symptoms to list

Congestion or runny nose, nausea, and diarrhea were added, joining the federal agency's list that already included fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell and sore throat.
It's about time they added runny nose. Cause they were claiming for a longest time runny nose isn't a symptom.

Can you imagine the day when we do get a safe and effective vaccine! Happy dance and tears of joy and relief.
I am starting to doubt that it's actually possible. If antibodies don't last a long time, then covid isn't producing a long lasting immunity. So is it possible to make a vaccine that causes long lasting immunity?

Tell me more about this air bridge delivery of goods?

And that means learning to live with much less. Air bridge delivery of goods from China is going to make retail so expensive, for what retail survives. Christmas will be interesting. I doubt we'll have air bridges by then, anyway and we still have warehouses (rapidly depleting) of many Asian goods (not just from China, but from Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Japan, India and Pakistan). Wow - where are we going to get our stuff, I wonder? We can't even seem to make our own N95 masks at 4 months in. And they are not hard to make (although the factories need to be sterile and free of disease, obviously).

Yes, we need to prepare ourselves for an entirely different world. I don't think a truly tested vaccine will be available until 2022. Each of us can have our own standards for that, too, right? And a lot of people won't take it.

The sadness of this is just hitting me, and just hitting a lot of people. It's very sad for those now unemployed and those just reaching the job market. I sure hope the US finds a way for rent and mortgage protection.

One third of Americans have missed a mortgage payment in the past 4 months, and there will be little to no change to the status of their jobs. Most of their jobs depended on the business they worked for having a tiny profit margin, in which even a 5% dip in sales put the business in jeopardy and if the dip continued for a year, they had to close or lay off.

Business is going to see longterm serious 'dips' far beyond 5%. Hotels and motels will start to close next - the number of people willing to travel in this pandemic will not bounce back until it's over.

Yep. And congrats to your nation for its stellar handling of CoVid. I feel badly that we won't be seeing as many of you here in the US, if travel ever resumes. No one is going to want to come to Disneyland if the ticket prices are 5X higher. If it ever opens. My other hobby is being a DE on TripAdvisor, but, well, there are very few Australians asking for advice and I miss their "How many sleeps till Disneyland?" posts.

We can't come visit you, either.

But you are right and your country seems to share this highly sensible attitude, as do so many other nations. It must be eye-opening to read this forum.

I am starting to doubt that it's actually possible. If antibodies don't last a long time, then covid isn't producing a long lasting immunity. So is it possible to make a vaccine that causes long lasting immunity?
Inhaled vaccine with many, many boosters? Maybe like a nasal spray or inhaler that can be done repeatedly over time? I'm sure there would be lots of error with that mode of delivery. Who knows what we'll get...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bfred1221