DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone in public in the US ?

(The link is not Europe friendly.)
Here is what I found:

In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Sorry, I forget about Europe not being able to access sites.

From the link I posted:
June 1, 2020
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The World Health Organization is reiterating that healthy people should not wear face masks — though the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention disagrees.

The WHO says people should wear masks only if they are showing COVID-19 symptoms or taking care of someone with the disease.

The organization said its guidance has not changed since the pandemic began in March.

However, the CDC still recommends that everyone in public should wear a mask. The U.S. agency said that scientific evidence suggests that masks help curb the spread from people who are asymptomatic.
World Health Organization, CDC disagree on mask use in public

From the CDC website dated today, June 25 in the section “What you can do” “How to Protect yourself and others” which discusses washing hands, social distancing, etc.
Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others
  • You could spread COVID-19 to others even if you do not feel sick.
  • Everyone should wear a cloth face cover when they have to go out in public, for example to the grocery store or to pick up other necessities.
    • Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.
  • The cloth face cover is meant to protect other people in case you are infected.
  • Do NOT use a facemask meant for a healthcare worker.
  • Continue to keep about 6 feet between yourself and others. The cloth face cover is not a substitute for social distancing.
BBM
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) – Prevention & Treatment

This is so confusing regarding the CDC. I quoted a post right off their site that's different. I wish they would delete outdated info or just update one page. Jmo

I know I read on our Government Site for those who leave Canada by air best check that their travel insurance covers covid as some are not.

I had a US friend staying with me for 3 months this year (which turned into 5 months due to the virus). When my friend was getting ready to return to the US on 1st June, we discovered that NO travel insurance companies were covering any aspect of the virus.

We tried US companies and Aussie companies. No coronavirus coverage at all.

I had a US friend staying with me for 3 months this year (which turned into 5 months due to the virus). When my friend was getting ready to return to the US on 1st June, we discovered that NO travel insurance companies were covering any aspect of the virus.

I'm not surprised at all.

Look out South Dakota! While the rest of us have our 4th of July fireworks cancelled:

Trump To Attend Mount Rushmore Fireworks Show Amid Wildfire And COVID-19 Risks

For the first time in more than a decade, fireworks will light up the sky over Mount Rushmore as part of President Trump’s Fourth of July celebration despite coronavirus, wildfire and water pollution concerns.

Trump will bring fighter jets and fireworks to Mount Rushmore on 3 July as his campaign tour continues.

A total of 7,500 people from across the country are expected to attend the event and be “in close contact for an extended amount of time,” according to the event's website.

<modsnip: off topic, not related to Covid>

Last edited by a moderator:
Some Texas cities revive plans to add hospital bed capacity at convention centers if coronavirus cases climb

In Travis County, authorities have been quietly recruiting dozens of volunteer doctors and nurses to staff a possible 100-bed hospital in the Austin Convention Center. The site is not “currently functioning” but volunteers were given an estimated start date of mid-July, according to June emails sent to a member of the state’s disaster volunteer force and obtained by The Texas Tribune.

Like Travis, Harris County may use a temporary medical facility at a stadium if need arises. The mayor of Dallas said Thursday a previously discussed pop-up hospital would not be erected “at this time.”

Look out South Dakota! While the rest of us have our 4th of July fireworks cancelled:

Trump To Attend Mount Rushmore Fireworks Show Amid Wildfire And COVID-19 Risks

For the first time in more than a decade, fireworks will light up the sky over Mount Rushmore as part of President Trump’s Fourth of July celebration despite coronavirus, wildfire and water pollution concerns.

Trump will bring fighter jets and fireworks to Mount Rushmore on 3 July as his campaign tour continues.

A total of 7,500 people from across the country are expected to attend the event and be “in close contact for an extended amount of time,” according to the event's website.

Native Americans protesting Trump trip to Mount Rushmore

“Mount Rushmore is a symbol of white supremacy, of structural racism that’s still alive and well in society today,” said Nick Tilsen, a member of the Oglala Lakota tribe and the president of a local activist organization called NDN Collective. “It’s an injustice to actively steal Indigenous people’s land, then carve the white faces of the conquerors who committed genocide.”

Native Americans oppose Trump Mount Rushmore trip

I doubt that many will show up when they try to figure out the logistics of getting there. The Native people of the Dakotas are torn between protesting and battling CoVid. I was seeing a lot of posts on FB from my native family and friends near Rosebud about their Rushmore hate, but I didn't realize why that was coming up right now. They don't post much.

Good to know. Can't say I blame them. But it's very concerning and some system will have to come into place for travel to ever start again.

Meanwhile, Fauci says NIH was ordered to stop doing CoVid research.

The rest of the world is watching. We are about to move into 19th century isolationist postures. That did not work out so well for us before.

I wonder why it is always the blame game ... "You have to resign - even though you have been an esteemed public health professional for many years - because you reported some incorrect numbers to me". (This is not a quote, it is my interpretation of the article.)

It is not like anyone is doing much about the numbers anyway. It seems as though many have just thrown their hands in the air and put the coronavirus issues in the 'too hard basket'.

Last edited:
I realize there is not an answer forthcoming to this question. But I wish someone would ask, of those who say we should just live with a certain # of deaths going forward and that it's time to accept that as the price for moving forward. What # of daily deaths should we accept? Is there an actual limit, or will that be ever changing as the numbers rise?

500 per day? 1,000 per day? 1,500? Or if it gets to say 2,000/Day, will that be the # to accept? Just curious.
I’d like them to name the specific friends and family they are willing to feed to this disease by whatever percentage they choose.

I am starting to doubt that it's actually possible. If antibodies don't last a long time, then covid isn't producing a long lasting immunity. So is it possible to make a vaccine that causes long lasting immunity?

Vaccines usually have about the effectiveness of having had the illness. So that's why we have to keep getting flu shots. If CoVid turns out to be the same way, I suppose we'll all have to have vaccines once a year or every other year. For the elderly, I suspect it will become standard of care to get annual antibody serology done.

It does seem clear that people who have asymptomatic/very mild cases of CoVid are not forming strong antibodies (nor are children). With a vaccine, almost everyone can get enough of a dose to form proper antibodies, or at least that's the goal.

The 30,000 test participants have to be of all ages and of different genetic stocks. It'll be an interesting phase. I'll be much more optimistic when the various vaccines have gone through that.

Vaccines usually have about the effectiveness of having had the illness. So that's why we have to keep getting flu shots. If CoVid turns out to be the same way, I suppose we'll all have to have vaccines once a year or every other year. For the elderly, I suspect it will become standard of care to get annual antibody serology done.

It does seem clear that people who have asymptomatic/very mild cases of CoVid are not forming strong antibodies (nor are children). With a vaccine, almost everyone can get enough of a dose to form proper antibodies, or at least that's the goal.

The 30,000 test participants have to be of all ages and of different genetic stocks. It'll be an interesting phase. I'll be much more optimistic when the various vaccines have gone through that.
This is interesting, https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...ronavirus-vaccine-trial-could-start-by-august

My mother had surgery last Thursday, hernia. It had been delayed from March and she finally got it fixed. She is 80 and is in very good health except high blood pressure. I've been taking care of her and she does live alone. She did go to church twice I believe after many months of it being closed to indoor services.

Today I stressed to her that the virus has hit the nursing home the next county over, 48 cases within 3 days this week, 1 case so far at our nursing home here. I cautioned that the virus seems to be spreading quickly and that she shouldn't go out for While, I will get what she needs.

She proceeds to tell me that she'll be going back to church soon, as soon as her strength is back, 2 weeks she thinks. I tried to reason that it just isn't wise right now but if she sneaks off to go, wear a mask. Then she says, I'd be the only one and her faith is strong. (Beating my head against a wall!) I told her if she gets this virus, in this weakened state and her age it wouldn't be good and we wouldn't be able to visit her, nor would her church friends.

Hoping she will listen to reason but she'll do what she wants to. So she's in the if I get it, I get it. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bfred1221