Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #64

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So we can go to the pub or shops or meet friends, but your own dad can’t walk you down the aisle on your wedding day?

There’ll be grumblings about this “rule”.
I guess he can if you both wear gloves and have your bodies 1 metre apart ? Or you create a bubble with him beforehand. Gotta be creative.

I mentioned China yesterday, today the world.

Gee, where are we going wrong!?! /s

Last night’s NBC Nightly News featured a segment on China and how they seem to have successfully squashed the recent Beijing flare up in just two weeks, officially declaring an end to that outbreak. They have testing sites set up everywhere, parks, fields, you name it. They have tested the equivalent of the population of NYC and have done incredible contact tracing.

See 12:55:

There are more than 500 testing sites in Beijing that can candle half a million tests a day. See at video how aggressive their contact tracing has been.

Last edited:
This is very hard for some people to understand or accept, but Covid isn't the only thing in the world. Life goes on and this is just one more thing to manage. From personal experience, I find that people who have remained locked down since March are exhibiting signs of harm to their mental health.

Everyone needs to decide how much "real life" they are prepared to lose in exchange for mitigating this particular risk. I feel for the kids that are losing a summer - times that are supposed to be the best of their lives and are gone forever.
I don't disagree with this, however I do disagree with their choices to be in large groups, not social distancing, and without masks. There is a difference between responsible entertainment and reckless abandon and the photos I saw leaned towards the latter.

I have missed some threads and am trying to catch up so forgive me if this has been asked and answered:

Are there any seniors here who have had the virus and recovered? Will you share your experiences on this thread? Or does anyone personally know someone over 65 who suffered through the virus and recovered? I would like to know duration of sickness, how sick compared to cold and flu, symptoms, lingering symptoms, etc.

Thanks so much if you are willing to share.

This is from the article above. Does anyone know where those statistics are from? Eg. which state, county ?

"Between 85% and 90% of the very sick and dying are African American."

It is not clear from the article where the Guardian got that data? It's clearly important to track the source down IMO.

I cannot take the rest of the op ed seriously.

I agree with Cags. If the deaths and hospitalizations reduce but cases have increased then we are travelling towards herd immunity. You cannot have herd immunity if all those infected die.

Not quite sure what you are looking for??? But the data is regarding Montgomery Al, Montgomery County AL.

this below is just an older link showing the high percentage of sickness among African Americans in Alabama. The numbers have increased since that article was written

Black people dying from coronavirus at much higher rates in cities across the USA
Montgomery County, Alabama - Wikipedia

This is very hard for some people to understand or accept, but Covid isn't the only thing in the world. Life goes on and this is just one more thing to manage. From personal experience, I find that people who have remained locked down since March are exhibiting signs of harm to their mental health.

Everyone needs to decide how much "real life" they are prepared to lose in exchange for mitigating this particular risk. I feel for the kids that are losing a summer - times that are supposed to be the best of their lives and are gone forever.
I'm not so concerned about summer because I can get out and bicycle, hike, walk. It's cold Minnesota weather that concerns me. I don't want to return to the health club, and Baby, it's cold outside.

I have missed some threads and am trying to catch up so forgive me if this has been asked and answered:

Are there any seniors here who have had the virus and recovered? Will you share your experiences on this thread? Or does anyone personally know someone over 65 who suffered through the virus and recovered? I would like to know duration of sickness, how sick compared to cold and flu, symptoms, lingering symptoms, etc.

Thanks so much if you are willing to share.
Good to see you again, Chelly.

I blew off my cleaning too. Was supposed to have done it just before all the dental offices closed.Now they are open again, but I think I will skip the cleaning for now.

Yeah me too and this sucks because I’m meticulous about it.

Like many of you, I’m growing my hair out, not taking a life and death risk for a haircut, nor an eyebrow wax, which I’m also meticulous about. As for manicures, the shorter the nails, the better imo.

I had noted that some States with rising numbers have now cancelled their elective procedures again. I have a friend who needs a very important medical procedure, but it is one that wouldn’t be deemed non-elective, should we have a resurgence and once again elective surgeries be cancelled. So, while I joked in the early days about how we all better hurry and go get our boob lifts done before they cancel the ability to have these procedures, I also told my friend this might be a good time to get your procedure done in case things go south here, as you may not be able to get it done later.

As for no teeth cleaning, all the more reason to wear masks lol.

Can we anticipate an overall national decline in oral health? I would guess yes.

Last edited:
Just got an email that a family at my church has tested positive and they attended Mass on Father's Day. They believe they contracted it the day prior but didn't begin exhibiting symptoms until mid-week. So, Sat exposed, Sun went to church, mid-week symptoms and tested, email from church today. Seems like a fast turnaround from when they think they were exposed to testing positive.

I'm not surprised by this news but it is a good reminder of why we have no plans to attend Mass in person any time soon. At least they were responsible enough to contact the church and let them know.

40,450 cases on Sunday. 43,581 on Saturday.

Rising positivity in tested cases in Florida, Texas, Arizona, Georgia...elsewhere. And meanwhile, sane people are staying home and not supporting any of those small businesses mentioned above. Home Depot, Lowe's, Amazon, Costco, Walmart, Target FTW, right? It's a dramatic end to an older economy, which at this rate will never recover.

At least 63% of Americans are worried about getting CoVid at a bar, restaurant or salon. 60% say they are still avoiding all unnecessary transactions. Naturally, states with higher rates top those numbers.

Americans prioritize staying home and worry restrictions will lift too fast — CBS News poll

I miss going to craft stores, especially the small one-off stores like two of our local ones that I have been patronizing for a long time. I did make a Facebook order a week or so ago from one of them that I will pick up when it comes in. (I have enough craft supplies to last me the rest of my natural life and beyond, but I enjoy the shopping. Online is not the same.)

Amid U.S. coronavirus surges, Cuomo considers slowing NYC's reopening

“I want to continue to move forward, but we may move forward with caution,” Cuomo said in an interview with local cable news station.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo warned Monday that he might tap the brakes on New York City’s reopening amid “troubling signs” that some are flouting social-distancing rules to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

“Our numbers are good, very good right now, but there are troubling signs,” Cuomo said in an interview with local cable channel NY1. “We’re seeing large social gatherings on sidewalks, et cetera, which is not helpful.”...

AZ Governor Doug Ducey to give a presser at 3 today. On Thursday he said that they fully expected cases to remain at record levels, and that it would take a couple weeks for things like masks to show an effect. So here he is, with one business day in between, where I expect he will follow TX and FL. This is what makes many on my side of the issue absolutely crazy. He (and State's top health official) had a consistent message on Thursday. Absolutely nothing changed relative to what they predicted Thursday. Yet, today they will announce sweeping new restrictions. So either they were lying Thursday, or whoever is actually calling the shots tapped them on the shoulder in the interim.

AZ Governor Doug Ducey to give a presser at 3 today. On Thursday he said that they fully expected cases to remain at record levels, and that it would take a couple weeks for things like masks to show an effect. So here he is, with one business day in between, where I expect he will follow TX and FL. This is what makes many on my side of the issue absolutely crazy. He (and State's top health official) had a consistent message on Thursday. Absolutely nothing changed relative to what they predicted Thursday. Yet, today they will announce sweeping new restrictions. So either they were lying Thursday, or whoever is actually calling the shots tapped them on the shoulder in the interim.
Or maybe your hospitals are filling up and they have to slow it down or the patients will be in parking lots. And you are going to be stepping over bodies.

Could you include links ? Much thanks.

I have posted a lot of links. At this point, I'd have to post about 10 or so. I'll start with the heat map (CoVid rates by county with the more rural parts of the nation largely still...white. Yet to have a known first case. If you follow the map daily or so (I take screen shots) you'll see that, for example, Arizona was mostly white about 6 weeks ago - tiny number of cases, mostly in Phoenix. Then the Phoenix area got tan, then orange, then red. As that happened, the surrounding counties changed from white to tan.

You can thereby watch this happening in real time here:

Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count

Then, you can click by county and each county tells a similar story. Nevada County, CA for example had less than 1 case per day 2 weeks ago. Now it's 6 cases per day - it has more than doubled in one week. So...if it doubles again, it's 36 cases per week...next week which, for that very small county...will be a health emergency.

The virus is now on all sides of them. People work and shop in nearby areas, so soon the orange places may turn red - unless they change their behavior in a significant way. Take a look at Florida and Texas for a more advanced stage of an emerging CoVid in a region.

Data rolls off into the past at 2 weeks, but each state has its own webpage which can be googled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow