Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #66

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy ... the situation in Victoria is officially being called a 2nd wave.

As well as closing its state borders, the whole of metropolitan Melbourne (about 5 million people) is now going under stay-at-home orders for 6 weeks. Their chief medical officer has advised it. Their case numbers are creeping up further.

So disappointing. They are blaming the situation on public complacency.

“This is not where any of us wanted to be, but we have to face the reality of our situation.
“To do anything else would have deadly consequences.
“I don’t take this step lightly, and I know just how deeply frustrating this is for everyone.”
“This isn’t over, and until there is a vaccine or a drug or a cure, there is no such thing as ‘normal’.
“For every restriction that you break and all the health advice that you ignore – the consequence may be someone’s life.”

Mr Andrews said he had requested an additional 260 ADF personnel to help with “on the ground support”, including assisting police in maintaining a perimeter around Melbourne.

https://twitter.com/australian/status/1280374958955229185

Unfortunately this relates to me SA :( we are back in lock down from tomorrow night for another 6 weeks, it's so disheartening to be back in this situation! I have been super careful since the beginning of the pandemic but I really noticed during the past month when restrictions were easing off that many peoples attitudes started to change and it seemed to me like they convinced themselves that the virus was gone. I also believe that the Black Lives Matter protest in Melbourne negatively influenced many peoples behaviour, helping them to justify not doing the right thing..... if the government would let thousands of people attend the march, then it can't be that bad....why should I do the right thing etc..

Sold my beloved little sailboat today.
Why? Money.
Our restaurant business, and many other businesses here in San Diego were closed down again today for another minimum of 3 weeks.
Yes, we can do take out and outside dining. However, those rules lesson our income again, by 30 to 40%.
Restaurants operate on about a 10% margin. Sooooo, we're again looking at a loss of up to 30% per month.
Fortunately, we have a large outside open air, uncovered patio.
I am very concerned about when our weather turns cold, usually November. How are we supposed to protect our customers, will they even come in when it's too cold or wet to sit on our patio?
I refuse to take any of our meager savings and plow it back into our business as we go through this.
I want to add to our savings so that, if we have to leave, we've got a cushion.
I have to make hard decisions for hard times.

Sorry to hear that Kali. I know how you loved that boat. I just posted an article about what UK pubs are doing now they have reopened. Three had to temporarily close and test all their staff and contact their customers. Do you have to do something like that if a customer calls you to say they tested positive?

Unfortunately this relates to me SA :( we are back in lock down from tomorrow night for another 6 weeks, it's so disheartening to be back in this situation! I have been super careful since the beginning of the pandemic but I really noticed during the past month when restrictions were easing off that many peoples attitudes started to change and it seemed to me like they convinced themselves that the virus was gone. I also believe that the Black Lives Matter protest in Melbourne negatively influenced many peoples behaviour, helping them to justify not doing the right thing..... if the government would let thousands of people attend the march, then it can't be that bad....why should I do the right thing etc..
Sorry to hear this. 6 weeks seems harsh to me. Leicester here in the UK has to stay closed for 2 weeks.

ITA regarding your comment about the marches. That happened here too.

Good news just from the radio but will post link when I find it. Deaths in last two weeks have been below average here in the UK.

Death rate 'back to normal' in UK

"The number of deaths registered in the UK over one week has fallen below the five-year average for the first time since mid-March.

More than 80% of local authorities in Great Britain have also seen death rates fall to normal levels.

The decrease reflects a decline in coronavirus-related deaths, official data shows.

Of 10,681 deaths registered in the week up to 19 June, 849 (8%) mentioned coronavirus.

This is the lowest number of coronavirus deaths registered since the week lockdown was announced.

The total number of deaths registered in the week up to 19 June was eight below the five-year average for that week and the lowest figure since the week of 13 March.

_113164313_optimised-uk_mortality_v_average30jun-nc.png

BBC analysis of the figures shows that more than four out of every five local authorities in Great Britain have seen death rates fall back to or below normal levels.

At the peak of the epidemic in mid-April, only 10 of 187 local authorities were in this range, with nearly 160 seeing registered deaths significantly above the five year average in that area."

Weeks ending 26th June and 3 Jul Uk had less Covid deaths so that will now be for three weeks running.

Here's an interesting link I found while looking.

What do global death patterns reveal about the UK?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this. 6 weeks seems harsh to me. Leicester here in the UK has to stay closed for 2 weeks.

ITA regarding your comment about the marches. That happened here too.

Thanks tresir, I agree 6 weeks is very harsh especially considering 3/4 of the population that is locked down, have very low/ or no cases of covid19. That's interesting to hear that UK experienced similar behaviours after the marches.

Apparently over 27 million US citizens do not have health insurance. That is more people than the population of my entire country.

How Many Americans Are Uninsured? — 2020 Research.
That's less than 10% of the US population though so they don't have to fund all testing.

Your link states 8.5 million have Obamacare so that reduces those not covered to 18.5 million (about 6% ).

How Many People Are on Obamacare in 2020?
The US government published a report stating that a total of 8.5 million people signed up for the Affordable Care Act in 2018, for the year 2019. This is a decrease when compared to past years, and reasons tend to differ. Some of the main arguments quoted by officials include the fact that more Americans are now employed, thus receive health insurance coverage through their employers. Some of the other reasons include budgetary cuts associated with the promotion of the program, but also the appearance of numerous other insurance options that are deemed as competitive.

Obamacare statistics reveal that the number of insured Americans will continue to drop if the Trump administration refuses to further promote the Affordable Care Act. This is unlikely to happen, but people throughout the US are now actively hoping that a new insurance regulatory framework will be released, for the purpose of increasing access to the healthcare system and ensuring that people throughout the country are eligible for quality and cheap medical services.

Last edited:
6% (19 million) as a percentage is not large but why aren't they signed up for Obamacare or Medicare? Doesn't that cover the tests?

Health care explained: Medicare for All vs public option vs the ACA - CNNPolitics

Because millions of people fall into the middle range. Not poor enough for medicare, not affluent enough to pay health insurance. And their jobs don't offer health insurance as a benefit.

It is easy for us who have national healthcare to wonder why. But when people have minimum wage jobs all they have is money for rent, food, utility and fuel costs. I know of people there who asked their family to buy them tyres for their car for Christmas. They were working people, but there was never enough money for 'extra' things.

When the govt is splashing out for events like Mount Rushmore (which reportedly cost around $600,000 ... there is a TMZ link out there which I don't think I can post here), I can't see why they don't help the states who are overwhelmed and struggling with the necessary testing.

6% (19 million) as a percentage is not large but why aren't they signed up for Obamacare or Medicare? Doesn't that cover the tests?

Health care explained: Medicare for All vs public option vs the ACA - CNNPolitics
It’s expensive and they may be unemployed - the Cares Act money for small business may have been spent and they are laying off employees again at least in my area IMO and Medicare doesn’t kick in until 65
Medicare Benefits | SSA

Morning news is troubling ..again - rising numbers and Particles can go 30 feet??? At Super spreader events
CBS
ETA: rising

Last edited:

Any idea how expensive private insurance is?? Obamacare as you call it, ACA as named got so watered down but preexisting conditions as a reason to be denied is best feature, most just don’t have an extra thousand a month to line the pockets of the fat cat insurance industry

Because millions of people fall into the middle range. Not poor enough for medicare, not affluent enough to pay health insurance. And their jobs don't offer health insurance as a benefit.

It is easy for us who have national healthcare to wonder why. But when people have minimum wage jobs all they have is money for rent, food, utility and fuel costs. I know of people there who asked their family to buy them tyres for their car for Christmas. They were working people, but there was never enough money for 'extra' things.

When the govt is splashing out for events like Mount Rushmore (which reportedly cost around $600,000 ... there is a TMZ link out there which I don't think I can post here), I can't see why they don't help the states who are overwhelmed and struggling with the necessary testing.
The government has paid for the tests up to now though ( for everybody?) haven't they? How long do they pay it for before states have to fund it from their own taxes? That is the real issue I guess. The cost of the fireworks display would have been budgeted for on a yearly basis so that is nothing to do with the pandemic costs.
Any idea how expensive private insurance is?? Obamacare as you call it, ACA as named got so watered down but preexisting conditions as a reason to be denied is best feature, most just don’t have an extra thousand a month to line the pockets of the fat cat insurance industry
Yes I am aware how much it costs. That is not really an issue we can debate on here though but I don't disagree. The state will have to fund it if for those that are not covered.

It’s expensive and they may be unemployed - the Cares Act money for small business may have been spent and they are laying off employees again at least in my area IMO and Medicare doesn’t kick in until 65
Medicare Benefits | SSA

Morning news is troubling ..again - riding numbers and Particles can go 30 feet??? At Super spreader events
CBS
The state will have to step in. Here in UK the councils have housed all the homeless in the empty hotels so they will be safe from the pandemic.

We pay a percentage of earnings for National Insurance which covers the free Health Service. Both employer and employee pay a percentage. It can be a substantial amount. Furloughed staff will still be paying that in the UK. Not sure about the employers share though.

Last edited:
Sold my beloved little sailboat today.
Why? Money.
Our restaurant business, and many other businesses here in San Diego were closed down again today for another minimum of 3 weeks.
Yes, we can do take out and outside dining. However, those rules lesson our income again, by 30 to 40%.
Restaurants operate on about a 10% margin. Sooooo, we're again looking at a loss of up to 30% per month.
Fortunately, we have a large outside open air, uncovered patio.
I am very concerned about when our weather turns cold, usually November. How are we supposed to protect our customers, will they even come in when it's too cold or wet to sit on our patio?
I refuse to take any of our meager savings and plow it back into our business as we go through this.
I want to add to our savings so that, if we have to leave, we've got a cushion.
I have to make hard decisions for hard times.

I could cry for you. I'm just so heartbroken watching small businesses bleed. Jmo

Anti-police demonstrations may have sparked new coronavirus cases, some cities now acknowledge

Several big-city mayors and top officials are acknowledging that weeks of anti-police protests and riots may have contributed to surging coronavirus rates, weeks after Democrats and even some epidemiologists openly encouraged Black Lives Matter allies to demonstrate in the streets.

In public statements and interviews with Fox News this weekend, officials in Los Angeles, Seattle and Miami-Dade County, Fla., have indicated that some link between protests and new cases was at least possible. Still, many officials declined to comment when contacted by Fox News this weekend, and others – including New York Mayor Bill de Blasio's office – disputed that the protests had caused any issue.

"Based on our health indicators, which measure hospital admissions, number of people in ICU and percentage of New Yorkers testing positive, we have seen no indication of an uptick in cases," Avery Cohen, de Blasio's deputy press secretary, told Fox News.

ATLANTA MAYOR UNLOADS AFTER CHILD KILLED NEAR BLM PROTEST: 'YOU CAN'T BLAME THIS ON POLICE'

WNBC reported on July 4 that "over the course of a week, New York's daily death toll has stayed constant, but its percentage of positive coronavirus cases rose four days straight." New York City, though, has seen cases steadily decreasing over the last few months, while Los Angeles, Seattle and Miami have seen recent spikes.

BLM-cropped-1135pm.jpg

In this June 6, 2020, file photo, demonstrators protest at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, over the death of George Floyd, a Black man who was in police custody in Minneapolis. Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation, the group behind the emergence of the Black Lives Matter movement, has established a more than $12 million fund to aid organizations fighting institutional racism in the wake of the George Floyd protests. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)

Responding to that report, Cohen asserted that the number of New Yorkers testing positive "remains at a steady 2 percent, far below the nationwide average," and that, "at this time, we do not believe there has been a resurgence in cases related to the protests, which reached their peak over a month ago."

Cohen's public Twitter feed explicitly praised the Black Lives Matter movement and encouraged mass protests. One June 28 post retweeted by Cohen read: "Are you ready to flood the streets to fight for Black lives and against police brutality and reclaim our roots of pride? Join us today at 1 PM at FOLEY SQUARE."

New York officials were previously less tolerant of mass gatherings — at least, for certain religious groups. In April, de Blasio told the Jewish community that "the time for warnings has passed" after he said a funeral gathering had violated social distancing guidelines.

HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE SAVED PATIENTS' LIVES, NEW STUDY FINDS -- CONTRADICTING MEDIA NARRATIVES

Councils urged to reduce protests during pandemic

Senior police officers haves urged local authorities to help reduce the number of protests and counter-protests held across Scotland.

In a strongly worded letter, Police Scotland divisional commanders said such events posed public safety risks due to coronavirus.

However, they accepted many protests were "entirely legitimate".

In recent weeks, police have handled clashes between anti-racism protesters and opposing groups at demonstrations.

_113000645_protestii.jpg
Image copyrightGRAHAM STEWART
Image captionMany protestors wore masks to attend an anti-racism rally in Glasgow
On one occasion, violent scenes escalated after a far-right group gathered in Glasgow's George Square to "protect the Cenotaph".

They arrived shortly before a planned demonstration against the evictions of asylum seekers.

Some councils have already seen planned demonstrations scrapped in light of the pandemic.

The Orange Order's annual 12 July celebration has been cancelled for the first time since World War Two.

Divisional commanders are chief superintendents in charge of local policing in divisions.

Their letter said protests and counter-protests have often required "significant resource deployment" from the police, meaning officers are taken out of their local area and are unable to attend to other demands.

It said the issues and grievances being aired are often rooted in "wider social and political issues", and can act as proxies for "ingrained sectarianism".

p08hk5zl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member