Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What? What? What is Florida thinking?
Florida now has the third highest COVID cases in the nation!

Orange County, which includes Orlando, has the country's eighth-largest school district with nearly 216,000 students and over 25,000 employees.

The state's Commissioner of the Department of Education, Richard Corcoran, issued an emergency order on Monday requiring all "brick and mortar schools" to open "at least five days per week for all students.
Florida will require schools to reopen in August despite a surge in coronavirus cases - CNN

You would choose it if there was rationed health care and limited equipment for treatment to keep costs down. My mother had to wait about a year for her treatment of kidney stones, in Canada, as she was on a waiting list for treatment. In the end, she died from a heart issue, that they thought was pain and discomfort from the kidney stones. I am not saying that I am against socialized health care, just that there are trade-offs and people need to be aware of them.

ETA She was only 68.
A year? That's crazy. I was treated for stones same day. Ontario Canada. So sorry about your Mom.

Tucson mayor says Arizona coronavirus patients may have to be sent to other states for ICU care

Tucson, Arizona, Mayor Regina Romero said that she’s very concerned about the lack of intensive care unit beds and the disorganized effort for testing and contract tracing as cases soar in the state.

Romero said that ICU bed capacity is at its limit. Pima County only has five to 10 ICU beds available some days, she said.

Romero said test results are taking too long and there’s a disjointed process for contact tracing.

Romero has implemented a mask mandate in her city, but she wants Gov. Doug Ducey to put a statewide mandatory mask order in place.

“We need the governor and the federal government to come and help organize our efforts so that we can take this under control,” she said.
Does she still not understand that no state or federal aid is forthcoming? Her governor and the white house have been clear about that. What does she think "learn to live with it" means?

I wasn't sure if things had changed or not. I turned up at A&E a couple of times when I lived in England and never received a bill. And I'm not even a citizen.

ETA: I did have a number of traffic citations though. I was definitely billed absurd amounts for those.:oops:

It doesn't work that way in Canada. If I move back to Canada, I have to wait one year before I am eligible for Canadian health care. Even though I have Canadian citizenship.

You would choose it if there was rationed health care and limited equipment for treatment to keep costs down. My mother had to wait about a year for her treatment of kidney stones, in Canada, as she was on a waiting list for treatment. In the end, she died from a heart issue, that they thought was pain and discomfort from the kidney stones. I am not saying that I am against socialized health care, just that there are trade-offs and people need to be aware of them.

ETA She was only 68.
Hey Sundog, that was what I had 30 years ago too. It was an infected kidney stone. So sorry about your mother. They are incredibly painful, worse than childbirth. I had to be on antibiotics for a year afterwards.

Isn't it free in England if you're over 65? (Not that I am saying you are over 65 of course, but I am)

Possibly - I have a couple of decades to go! Obviously it's free for children, people on benefits / out of work and I think certain illnesses.

I do wonder how many people in the US have died at home from Coronavirus purely because they couldn't afford the medical bills. It has probably made things worse.

Rising Covid-19 cases are "not purely as a result of testing," WHO official says

"In April and May we were dealing with 100,000 cases a day. Today we’re dealing with 200,000 cases a day — and that is not purely as a result of testing," Ryan added. "This epidemic is accelerating."

Ryan added that the rise in case numbers has occurred at the same time the global Covid-19 death rate has remained stable, which suggests that frontline doctors and nurses may be treating patients earlier and saving more lives.

Disney World Will Partially Reopen Saturday Despite Florida's Coronavirus Surge

Gov. Ron DeSantis on Monday defended the resort reopening, saying he had no concerns as the company put a "premium" on safety.
A large portion of the Walt Disney World Resort will partially reopen this weekend even as the number of coronavirus cases in Florida continues to rise, the company confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

Does she still not understand that no state or federal aid is forthcoming? Her governor and the white house have been clear about that. What does she think "learn to live with it" means?
I guess if the patients have to go to an ICU in another state, someone will have to pay that other state for the patient care. Hasn't this happened before? States helping each other like some states sending ventilators to NY. Maybe NY can return some favours perhaps. MOO.

Possibly - I have a couple of decades to go! Obviously it's free for children, people on benefits / out of work and I think certain illnesses.

I do wonder how many people in the US have died at home from Coronavirus purely because they couldn't afford the medical bills. It has probably made things worse.

Man With No Insurance Dies Of Coronavirus: 'He Was Afraid'

You Probably Read About an Uninsured Teen Who Died of COVID-19. The Truth Is More Complicated

More than 26,000 Americans die each year because of lack of health insurance

No insurance, no savings, no support: what happens when LA's least privileged get Covid

WinnCompanies extends eviction ban to those affected by coronavirus to the end of 2020

One of the largest low-income landlords announced on Monday that it will continue its moratorium on tenant evictions in cases of financial hardship as a result of COVID-19 through Dec. 31.

The company is the largest operator of affordable housing in Massachusetts. In terms of ownership, it owns 51 apartment communities in 22 cities and towns in Massachusetts, including Boston and nearly all of the state’s Gateway Cities, providing housing for more 12,240 individuals living in more than 6,500 households.

Last edited:
Tom Hanks 'has no respect' for people not using masks

"I don't get it, I simply do not get it, it is literally the least you can do. If anybody wants to build up an argument about doing the least they can do, I wouldn't trust them with a driver's licence," Hanks said.

"When you drive a car, you've got to obey speed limits, you've got to use your turn signals [indicators], you've got to avoid hitting pedestrians. If you can't do those three things, you shouldn't be driving a car."

"If you can't wear a mask and wash your hands and social distance, I've got no respect for you, man. I don't buy your argument."

Last edited:
Tom Hanks 'has no respect' for people not using masks

"I don't get it, I simply do not get it, it is literally the least you can do. If anybody wants to build up an argument about doing the least they can do, I wouldn't trust them with a driver's licence," Hanks said.

"When you drive a car, you've got to obey speed limits, you've got to use your turn signals [indicators], you've got to avoid hitting pedestrians. If you can't do those three things, you shouldn't be driving a car."

"If you can't wear a mask and wash your hands and social distance, I've got no respect for you, man. I don't buy your argument."
Is he advocating wearing a mask when driving a car?

I see he tested positive in Australia on 12th March. I wonder if he caught it there or before he arrived? That was the day after it was announced a pandemic by WHO so I guess noone was wearing masks then.

Last edited:
Tucson mayor says Arizona coronavirus patients may have to be sent to other states for ICU care

Tucson, Arizona, Mayor Regina Romero said that she’s very concerned about the lack of intensive care unit beds and the disorganized effort for testing and contract tracing as cases soar in the state.

Romero said that ICU bed capacity is at its limit. Pima County only has five to 10 ICU beds available some days, she said.

Romero said test results are taking too long and there’s a disjointed process for contact tracing.

Romero has implemented a mask mandate in her city, but she wants Gov. Doug Ducey to put a statewide mandatory mask order in place.

“We need the governor and the federal government to come and help organize our efforts so that we can take this under control,” she said.

Imperial County in California (which adjoins Arizona) is also having to send its patients elsewhere. Nearly all of SoCal cannot handle that kind of surge, so they're going north. What we feared would happen, is happening.

Romero has clearly not been following this story nationwide. FEMA is downscaling its efforts and in fact, many states never received much or any help. There is no federal body to "come and help organize" local efforts. That's why the Governors of each state have had to step in to do that with state-based resources.

At least she's speaking out, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member