Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #77

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just think - if Amazon is slammed now, imagine what shipping will be like in November and December.

My family is spread out across the US and we are seeing delays in delivery, wrong items received and missing deliveries. So we’re decided to reduce the stress and just do presents for the children. Standing outside in the heat lined up at the post office is a nightmare with no masks or social distancing.

I wonder why supplies are not back up to scratch by now. It has been months and months. One would think that they know what the demand is by now and suppliers could have upped their game.

it is always hard for me to retain such complex data--but the statement about the "bradykinis having been overlooked" struck me. My guess is the newest research will be addressing it more, and answering more questions.

It seems every day there are new revelations about this virus- so much to still learn!!!

I’ll prob do moderate stockpiling of necessary or favorite things. Only because bizarre sections of grocery & pharmacy aisles are laid bare still- as if pre-hurricane. Which aisles are hit varies week to week. One day there’s no meat, the next no dairy, the next no baking. And to get my ONE allowed per customer tub of disinfecting wipes, I have to be at Walmart, in line, before 7AM & make a beeline for the cleaning section. So yeah- I don’t see cold & flu season, the tail end of hurricane season, election chaos, plus the holiday season helping with any of that. I plan to complete the last ⅔ of my Christmas shopping online by Halloween. Because you won’t see me anywhere near black Friday, malls, or mail centers come Nov 1. But that’s just me...
If Amazon is slammed now - just imagine what it will be like later this year. I handle Amazon orders for multiple family members in various states. It has been wonderful until the past 3 weeks. Delivery delays go from a few days to weeks, deliveries missing and wrong items delivered.
So with that in mind, we are only doing presents for the children. The older family members can’t stand in the long line outside the post office - I ride past the building and see the people not wearing masks or social distancing. They don’t put masks on until they go in. Perhaps they think it’s ok to not wear masks outside chatting with strangers standing within arms length.

There's even a lumber shortage.

IMO you need employees and an open pipeline to up your game.

Why is there a lumber shortage in the U.S.?
Went yesterday to Home Depot for some plywood & nearly passed out from the sticker. 50% increase! This will create additional issues of deferred maintenance, blight, foreclosures, etc that will impact lenders. Not good. Plus repairs from “protest” damage that just won’t happen after job/business shutdown. Very concerned about lumber prices!

There's even a lumber shortage.

IMO you need employees and an open pipeline to up your game.

Why is there a lumber shortage in the U.S.?

I could understand while people were busy hoarding. Do you think the hoarding is a continual practise?
Because things *should* have settled back into normal production and normal usage, once things calmed down a bit.
Obviously excepting the things that we need more of now. Like sanitisers and disinfectants.

But meat, dairy, baking goods (as Judge Joe said) being so erratic? What is happening with the farms? And are the meatworks still having virus outbreaks?

I could understand while people were busy hoarding. Do you think the hoarding is a continual practise?
Because things *should* have settled back into normal production and normal usage, once things calmed down a bit.
Obviously excepting the things that we need more of now. Like sanitisers and disinfectants.

But meat, dairy, baking goods (as Judge Joe said) being so erratic? What is happening with the farms? Are the meatworks still having virus outbreaks?
Erratic is the perfect word to describe the fluctuations in supply that I’m seeing in my area. No rhyme or reason that I’ve figured out. Let me know when you find the secret algorithm!

I wonder why supplies are not back up to scratch by now. It has been months and months. One would think that they know what the demand is by now and suppliers could have upped their game.

I question this every week! And why does it change so much??? Last week, there was zero dishwashing liquid available. And I have not been able to get jasmine or basmati rice for some time now.

As virus cases drop, governors may gamble on bars. Again.

More at link
AUSTIN, Texas — A guy walks into a bar, which still isn’t allowed in Texas.

But Jeff Brightwell owns this bar. Two months into an indefinite shutdown, he’s just checking on the place — the tables six feet apart, the “Covid 19 House Rules” sign instructing drinkers not to mingle. All the safeguards that didn’t keep the doors open because Dot’s Hop House & Cocktail Courtyard is a bar under Texas law. And bars, in a pandemic? “Really not good,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s infectious disease expert, told Congress in June.

But some governors are warming up to good enough. Thousands of bars forced to close after massive virus outbreaks swept across the U.S. this summer could be starting to see an end in sight as cases drop off and the political will for continuing lockdowns fades. For some states, it is a gamble worth trying, only a few months after a rush to reopen bars in May and June ended in disaster.

But meat, dairy, baking goods (as Judge Joe said) being so erratic? What is happening with the farms? And are the meatworks still having virus outbreaks?

I have a friend that works on the family owned beef farm. The butchers are so backed up, my friend is on a wait list and out of beef to sell. I don't know about large commercial facilities.

Erratic is the perfect word to describe the fluctuations in supply that I’m seeing in my area. No rhyme or reason that I’ve figured out. Let me know when you find the secret algorithm!

I can't work it out. But I am curious as all heck. Our supplies have been back to normal for quite some time - months -although there is a little less toilet paper on the shelves ... still more than enough though.

I can't think of a reason why things haven't got back to normal by now. Unless more staff are ill, more absences from work, more transport workers are ill?

I am aware that farms are having difficulties without having their usual migrant workers though, to pick crops.

Went yesterday to Home Depot for some plywood & nearly passed out from the sticker. 50% increase! This will create additional issues of deferred maintenance, blight, foreclosures, etc that will impact lenders. Not good. Plus repairs from “protest” damage that just won’t happen after job/business shutdown. Very concerned about lumber prices!
Is anyone concerned about grocery prices? I cannot believe my grocery bill today (Sep) compared to Jan/Feb. There's just my husband and I. How are people feeding their families?

From Minnesota Governor Walz:
September 3
"Steep climbs in new cases have led health authorities to sound the alarm in recent weeks that the state is on the wrong path as fall turns to winter and that Minnesotans must do more to stem the spread, including wearing masks and socially distancing even at casual meetups with friends and family."
State Health Commissioner Jan Malcolm and Kris Ehresmann, the state’s infectious disease director, have been sharpening their messages of personal responsibility for weeks. In their remarks, they’ve expressed rising frustration that too many Minnesotans are acting like the pandemic is over when it is not.
Sept. 3 update on COVID-19 in Minnesota

Is anyone concerned about grocery prices? I cannot believe my grocery bill today (Sep) compared to Jan/Feb. There's just my husband and I. How are people feeding their families?
We’ve stopped buying steak & reduced hamburger patties to ¼ pounders, knowing full well we should have cut portion sizes YEARS ago, lol. Our diet has offset the price increases.:cool:

US average daily deaths have been 828 the last 7 days.

Source Google/Wikipedia

Coronavirus (COVID-19) statistics data
About this data
It changes rapidly
This data changes rapidly and might not reflect some cases still being reported.

It includes confirmed and probable cases
Total counts include both confirmed and probable cases in some locations. Probable cases are identified by public health officials and use criteria developed by government authorities. Some areas may not have data because they haven’t published their data or haven’t done so recently.

It comes from Wikipedia & other authoritative sources
Data comes from sources like Wikipedia, government health ministries, The New York Times, and other authoritative sources, which may be added over time with attribution. Cases are constantly updated from resources around the world. Daily situation reports are also available on the World Health Organization site.

Why do I get different data from different sources?
There are various sources that are tracking and aggregating coronavirus data. They update at different times and may have different ways of gathering data.

Hoping the downward trend continues.

Last edited:
I am wondering if people still feel the need to stockpile for the second wave?

It seems to me that it is not so urgent now.

What do you all think?
I've always kept things stocked up even before Covid. IMO we should all keep a 14 day supply of anything we might need, in case we have to self quarantine because of exposure to a positive case. Or if we get a cold mimicking Covid symptoms we really shouldn't go out for 14 days unless we test for Covid with a negative result IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow