Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #79

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hundreds of Jetstar and Qantas planes are being brushed off, oiled up, and are taking off again.

My state's borders opened up this morning to NSW. Thousands of tickets have been sold, according to Ch7 morning TV news.

We are now open to every state except Victoria.

And Dan the Man (Vic's Premier) is saying this morning that Victoria is poised to ease restrictions on Sunday, they have been doing really well and are meeting their goal. They are considering easing even more restrictions than they first thought they would ease.

Source: Ch7 TV News

Qantas and Jetstar say they have sold 6,500 seats in the past 24 hours and will increase domestic flights as a result of state borders reopening
Qantas and Jetstar slash fares and boost flights as border restrictions ease across Australia

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews is considering further easing of the coronavirus restrictions on Sunday, when Melbourne should meet the criteria to move to step 2 of the roadmap out of COVID-19.
Daniel Andrews has promised to ease more coronavirus rules. Here's what the experts think

It's a virus. It's made of a tiny molecule called RNA. Air is gases in our environment (oxygen, nitrogen, CO2, etc). The virus "rides" mostly on tiny water droplets that are suspended in air. Air also contains water (called humidity - right now, there's a lot of humidity where I live).

It's not the "air" that's the problem, it's that CoVid floats in the air. In dry air, it stays aloft longer, in humid air, it drifts more quickly to the floor.

It isn't only airborne. But it can't replicate in air, only inside a human body - with the longs being the most available and hospital host for CoVid.

A CoVid+ person breathes about 100,000 virions (individual CoVid units) into the air with each breath. Children, while hosting CoVId, expel far less per breath (but as they get older - by around 12-14, they're pretty much capable of breathing out 100,000 per breath).

We do not get CoVid from breathing in non-CoVid infected air. Unless someone comes to my house (who has CoVid) the air in my house is safe, it has no CoVid.

When we are outdoors, the volume of air recirculated is quite high (especially if there's a breeze). So a person exhaling CoVid has those 100,000 virions dispersed over a very wide area - quickly.

Indoors, well, you can do your own experiments (but be careful). Bl0w out a candle and watch the smoke plume - it may just hang above the candle, slowly disappearing (the particles are still there - but dispersed). If I do this in my home, I can see smokey particles at about 5 feet off the ground linger for a long time (because the draft in my house is near the floor and it takes a while for the smoke to go to ground. If there were CoVid in my house, it would do the same thing (hang out right where my nose is).

It's estimated that one is 1000X more likely to get CoVid indoors. A 6 minute conversation with an infected person (with neither wearing masks) can easily result in the uninfected person getting CoVid. Sitting next to someone on an airplane for 6 minutes can result in tranmission. This is with "normal" conversational distances.

With masks, we can have a 50-60 minute conversation and be unlikely to get CoVid. At 6 feet away, our chances of remaining healthy go up even further. If outdoors, even further. If it's breezy or humid, even better.

Dry indoor air - well, those CoVid-containing aerosol droplets can remain aloft for as long as a day - maybe longer. If 20 people were breathing out CoVid in, say, a large classroom, people might get CoVid from that space for the next 24 hours. A/C experts say that in older buildings (most buildings), the volume of air that turns over is about 10-25% of what it needs to be to prevent CoVid.

Thank you-- now it makes sense!!!

Some news from Canada: Two of the leaders of the oppositions parties are infected with Coronavirus. That means they can't attend the politically significant Throne Speech in Parliament today.

The brand new Conservative leader caught it from a staff member, and has now passed it along to his wife.

The Bloc Quebecois leader was infected by his wife.

Erin O’Toole’s wife tests positive for coronavirus following earlier negative result

Hundreds of Jetstar and Qantas planes are being brushed off, oiled up, and are taking off again.

My state's borders opened up this morning to NSW. Thousands of tickets have been sold, according to Ch7 morning TV news.

We are now open to every state except Victoria.

And Dan the Man (Vic's Premier) is saying this morning that Victoria is poised to ease restrictions on Sunday, they have been doing really well and are meeting their goal. They are considering easing even more restrictions than they first thought they would ease.

Source: Ch7 TV News

Qantas and Jetstar say they have sold 6,500 seats in the past 24 hours and will increase domestic flights as a result of state borders reopening
Qantas and Jetstar slash fares and boost flights as border restrictions ease across Australia

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews is considering further easing of the coronavirus restrictions on Sunday, when Melbourne should meet the criteria to move to step 2 of the roadmap out of COVID-19.
Daniel Andrews has promised to ease more coronavirus rules. Here's what the experts think

YAY! I have lots of confidence in Australia to manage this carefully.

AZDHS updated yearly death spreadsheet through August. There are 9000 more deaths this year than through August of last year, and 5500 deaths attributed to Covid. This continues to debunk the theory that masses of people are dying in car accidents and being labeled as Covid deaths.

AZDHS updated yearly death spreadsheet through August. There are 9000 more deaths this year than through August of last year, and 5500 deaths attributed to Covid. This continues to debunk the theory that masses of people are dying in car accidents and being labeled as Covid deaths.

I'm curious. Any insight to the additional 3500 deaths? Jmo

It's a virus. It's made of a tiny molecule called RNA. Air is gases in our environment (oxygen, nitrogen, CO2, etc). The virus "rides" mostly on tiny water droplets that are suspended in air. Air also contains water (called humidity - right now, there's a lot of humidity where I live).

It's not the "air" that's the problem, it's that CoVid floats in the air. In dry air, it stays aloft longer, in humid air, it drifts more quickly to the floor.

It isn't only airborne. But it can't replicate in air, only inside a human body - with the longs being the most available and hospital host for CoVid.

A CoVid+ person breathes about 100,000 virions (individual CoVid units) into the air with each breath. Children, while hosting CoVId, expel far less per breath (but as they get older - by around 12-14, they're pretty much capable of breathing out 100,000 per breath).

We do not get CoVid from breathing in non-CoVid infected air. Unless someone comes to my house (who has CoVid) the air in my house is safe, it has no CoVid.

When we are outdoors, the volume of air recirculated is quite high (especially if there's a breeze). So a person exhaling CoVid has those 100,000 virions dispersed over a very wide area - quickly.

Indoors, well, you can do your own experiments (but be careful). Bl0w out a candle and watch the smoke plume - it may just hang above the candle, slowly disappearing (the particles are still there - but dispersed). If I do this in my home, I can see smokey particles at about 5 feet off the ground linger for a long time (because the draft in my house is near the floor and it takes a while for the smoke to go to ground. If there were CoVid in my house, it would do the same thing (hang out right where my nose is).

It's estimated that one is 1000X more likely to get CoVid indoors. A 6 minute conversation with an infected person (with neither wearing masks) can easily result in the uninfected person getting CoVid. Sitting next to someone on an airplane for 6 minutes can result in tranmission. This is with "normal" conversational distances.

With masks, we can have a 50-60 minute conversation and be unlikely to get CoVid. At 6 feet away, our chances of remaining healthy go up even further. If outdoors, even further. If it's breezy or humid, even better.

Dry indoor air - well, those CoVid-containing aerosol droplets can remain aloft for as long as a day - maybe longer. If 20 people were breathing out CoVid in, say, a large classroom, people might get CoVid from that space for the next 24 hours. A/C experts say that in older buildings (most buildings), the volume of air that turns over is about 10-25% of what it needs to be to prevent CoVid.
I've been writing company policies today to respond to the new UK regs coming in this week. Particularly re retail staff needing to wear face coverings.

When you say that with masks we can have a 50 min convo (apologies, cant bold text on this old ipad of mine).

Do you mean "proper" surgical grade masks?

I'm asking because the new regs are for face coverings, as opposed to masks (guessing the Gov wants those to go to medical staff). I darent hope that face coverings offer anything like that level of protection do they?

I'm curious. Any insight to the additional 3500 deaths? Jmo

I need to go back, maybe over 10 years, and get an idea of the rate deaths increase in relation to population. That should account for some. I really think it's a case of our demographic. Many retirees live here during the Winter and go back East during the Summer. It would be interesting to see if there is a corresponding decline in deaths in Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc. EDIT: Because travel restrictions prevented them from leaving, this year.

Another issue is that tax cuts have the State running a very tight ship. Many of these may be reclassified as Covid after more detailed death certificate matching. Our Health Director blamed "the heat," opioid use and suicide, in a press conference - that one was widely laughed off by the press.

Last edited:
The only actual test that I read about was referenced in The Economist several months ago. It involved placing mask-like dividers between rat cages. Don't quote me, but I think they found a reduction in transmission somewhere in the mid 60% range. But, true, that is quite different than human tests with non-medical grade material.

Try actual academic literature - scholar.google.com is a good place to start without a fee.

Google Scholar

10 pages to get you started.

Also search for "masks epidemics" was & so forth.

Apparently the concern by some over the lack of double-blind safety testing of large numbers of a population wearing masks supersedes concern over the proven danger of this virus. We don’t have time to do large scale testing of masks that have been shown to protect against the spread of disease. We need to get this disease under control. Potential mask danger is the lesser of two evils IMO. Nor do we have time to build up the immune systems of the population by means of healthy habits. Yes, that should always be addressed, but again, the urgent issue right now is getting a handle on the coronavirus that causes Covid-19.
JMO

Ah, shucks guys. I do like explai/i/g but as of this hour, my keyboard broke. 8 mos old MacBook. I'm pissed about it. Hard to get it repaired these days (it'll be a week from tomorrow before it's fixed!)

I hope you don’t leave us. :eek: Do y0u have a tablet? That’s all I ever use since I haven’t replaced my 2007 MacBook. :D

MOD NOTE:

THIS POST LANDS AT RANDOM:

Threads or posts promoting or expressing intolerant views toward a particular social group (such as race, religion, gender and sexual orientation) are prohibited. Introducing politics, gun control, capital punishment into a discussion is not allowed. Rules - Etiquette & Information

Thanks everyone :)

The only actual test that I read about was referenced in The Economist several months ago. It involved placing mask-like dividers between rat cages. Don't quote me, but I think they found a reduction in transmission somewhere in the mid 60% range. But, true, that is quite different than human tests with non-medical grade material.

Objective
The aim of this study was to compare the efficacy of cloth masks to medical masks in hospital healthcare workers (HCWs). The null hypothesis is that there is no difference between medical masks and cloth masks.
A cluster randomised trial of cloth masks compared with medical masks in healthcare workers

Objective
This study examined homemade masks as an alternative to commercial face masks.
Testing the Efficacy of Homemade Masks: Would They Protect in an Influenza Pandemic?

Viral Filtration Efficiency of Fabric Masks Compared with Surgical and N95 Masks
This study found that all the fabric masks had a VFE of at least 50% when tested against aerosols with an average size of 6.0 µm (VFE(6.0 µm)).
The minimum VFE of fabric masks improved (to 63%) when the larger aerosols were excluded to give and average aerosol size of 2.6 µm (VFE(2.6 µm)), which better represents inhaled aerosols that can reach the lower respiratory system.

Viral Filtration Efficiency of Fabric Masks Compared with Surgical and N95 Masks

Last edited:
THIS THREAD IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED.
It has devolved into philosophical debates which are impossible to resolve and will only derail a thread that is for the sharing of information and supporting others. You may voice your opinion, but you may not argue with those whose opinion is different from yours. Do not enter into a debate with another member whose opinion you believe is wrong. Scroll past it, ignore it, do not bicker, which is a violation of TOS.

If you are concerned that someone’s post is inflammatory and aggressive, REPORT THE POST, do not answer or debate it. Moderators will use their best judgment to determine how it should be handled.

This thread will reopen when it is cleaned up of all the bickering/arguing/debating which have no place on this thread.

CocoChanel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members