Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #81

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
New Zealand news: Covid 19 coronavirus: Auckland will move to alert level 1, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern confirms

"To stay at level 1 relies on all of us continuing to be vigilant and playing our part . . . Keep using the app, scan in everywhere you go, and remind the people you are with to do the same."

She also urged people to stay home if they were sick, and to call Healthline and get tested if asked to.

"Resurgence of the virus is not our only worry, resurgence of complacency is right up there too," she said.

When the news broke that President Trump had covid, European leaders sent their good wishes of course, and then almost immediately doubled down on their own precautions.

At a summit in Brussells, Angela Merkel ended up doing some kind of (masked) anti-covid kabuki with Italy's Prime Minister when he got too close.

Boris Johnson is back at work now, but colleagues say he still suffers from fatigue and shortness of breath.

Vladimir Putin rarely goes out. Anyone who wants to meet him has to quarantine for two weeks and then go through a special disinfection booth.

World leaders weigh in on Trump's COVID-19 diagnosis

Does anyone know if Biden has been tested again or only that once? I really worry for him as I honestly dont think he would make it if he caught it :( Trump looks healthier with covid than Biden does without it IMO. It’s concerning as he was so close to him in the days before trumps diagnosis.

3X's so far

Biden again tests negative for coronavirus

Joe Biden on Sunday tested negative for Covid-19, at least the third time since Friday, his campaign said.

The Democratic presidential nominee had also tested negative twice on Friday. He had shared a stage with President Donald Trump during the presidential debate on Tuesday in Cleveland, a little more than 48 hours before Trump disclosed that he and his wife, Melania, had tested positive for Covid-19.

We are super happy to have NZers free to come to Australia in 11 days time with no quarantining. :)

My DD and SIL are getting their two marooned kitties back from NZ this coming Wednesday. The kitties have been living with lovely NZ foster friends for the last 7 months, when my DD and SIL rushed home here when the borders were slamming closed and they were not allowed to bring their kitties with them.

The next travel bubble destinations that could be available to Australians after New Zealand

Last edited:
We are super happy to have NZers free to come to Australia in 11 days time with no quarantining. :)

My DD and SIL are getting their two marooned kitties back from NZ this coming Wednesday. The kitties have been living with lovely NZ foster friends for the last 7 months, when my DD and SIL rushed home here when the borders were slamming closed and they were not allowed to bring their kitties with them.

The next travel bubble destinations that could be available to Australians after New Zealand

wow this must've been an excruciating 7 months for your daughter and hubby
glad to know they're finally coming home

Trump receives 'around the world' national security briefing by phone due to COVID diagnosis

National Security Agency adviser Robert O’Brien, Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Defense Secretary Mark Esper, and Chief of Staff Mark Meadows were all on the video teleconference call with Trump.

According to officials with knowledge of the call, however, foreign nations are watching Trump's health situation closely, but there have been no strange military movements by any foreign entities.

3X's so far

Biden again tests negative for coronavirus

Joe Biden on Sunday tested negative for Covid-19, at least the third time since Friday, his campaign said.

The Democratic presidential nominee had also tested negative twice on Friday. He had shared a stage with President Donald Trump during the presidential debate on Tuesday in Cleveland, a little more than 48 hours before Trump disclosed that he and his wife, Melania, had tested positive for Covid-19.

Thank God.

I guess I've been in the hospital too many times, and a member of the 7 gallon club with blood banks...familar with both, and have these. This photo for which I did the link upthread shows that you merely have a needle with a port put in your arm, then taped down.

Easy, simple, no biggie! It's merely what you have in your arm to get the saline and injections with a support to cover so when you put on clothing, it doesn't hit it to dislodge.

You may be thinking cancer ports in chest? vs. just a simple line in the arm which is very very very common to disconnect and then sterilize for reinsertion?

upload_2020-10-4_7-10-15-png.266739

You may again be thinking of a chest port for cancer patients, which is surgical as chemotheraphy cannot be given through arms as too toxic for veins?

Redesivir is given through arm port, not chest port. MOO

MOO
Exactly. It doesn't need to be a port-a-cath. We simply call them a "saline lock". It's just your run of the mill IV (cannula) that isn't attached to a bag of fluid or medication. They can be placed in the hand or arm, flushed with saline and locking caps placed on the end of the small Y tubing. They are taped in place. If a person is hospitalized, we flush them once or twice a day. At my hospital they are good for three days at which time we have to place a new one. Some patients have them even if they may not be receiving IV infused medication. We often place them to protect the patient if we feel an emergency situation may arise in which we need IV access immediately. Time is wasted in an emergency trying to find a good vein for access.
If the patient has to go for ongoing infusion therapy of some sort then a port-a-cath is what you would want.

ETA: it can easily be hidden under the sleeve of a shirt or jacket.

Last edited by a moderator:
TREATING THE PRESIDENT:mad:DrJAshton joins@TomLlamasABC
to answer some questions about Pres. Trump’s COVID-19 diagnosis, including how he is being treated and what doctors will be watching for in the coming days. https://abcn.ws/2GssBxh

"One of the strangest aspects to covid 19 is that it can almost trick a patient into thinking they are recovering and then strike even harder."

"One development that really stood out to me today was the decision to add the steroid Dexamethasone to the patients treatment regime.
This is the only drug that has shown a survival benefit in clinical trials, but it also indicates that the Presidents disease is not being considered mild."

video 1:02

https://twitter.com/ABCWorldNews/status/1312890491952914438

But doesn’t everyone realize that extreme measures will be taken to keep him healthy? He’s going to get stuff that others won’t and that isn’t an indication as to his level of illness.

He looks healthy to me. And I don’t think there’s a chance in hell he faked this. To me it’s the opposite of what he would do. So this far, IMO, whatever he’s doing is working.

For me, blame is neither here nor there.

But role modeling, accountability, sanity and rationality are important - or else, why do we even have law enforcement, or medicine, or teaching?

It's not that "it can happen to anyone regardless of how much they try to protect themselves." That = "Everyone can be a murderer." Not true, look up people's with Williams Syndrome - or look into yourself. Do you really think you could murder? First degree?

WS is predicated on our ability to make reasonable claims about crime and human behavior. It's so disheartening to hear

If a person does not wear a mask, and goes out in public not just once but repeatedly, you are saying that someone who has not left their (detached) home even one time during this pandemic and has had only 1-2 grocery deliveries that stay on the porch for a week...is equally likely to get it as a student who is dancing close indoors with as many people as possible?

I'm sorry if that's rude - but yes, LE and nurses and care workers and firemen and doctors get it.

You can't possibly believe that's random and that everyone takes the same chances. Well - you can believe that, but it stymies me that anyone thinks everyone has the same chance of getting it.

If you mostly stay home, have everything delivered, take precautions about handling things, wash your hands repeatedly, wear a good mask always, social distance, your chances are not equal to those who don't do those things.

How are people supposed to learn? I keep hearing "just tell them that they are risking themselves." (Apparently doesn't work). Or Give Them Consequences (seems to work in Australia, New Zealand). Or trust their common sense (doesn't work in the US apparently)? Or something else? I'm truly asking - I don't know any more. I used to think teaching was important (and still do, but apparently, it's not something a lot of other people believe in).

I realize that some people are incapable of learning or have learning deficits, but that's my point - not everyone is equally capable of almost anything. But I believe if most humans can learn to read and write well enough to apply for a driver's license and pass the DL test, they can also learn to wear some kind of mask, stay 6 feet away from the next person, and wash their hands.

If we do that - our chances of getting CoVid are so much smaller, and you'll never convince me that it's all equal.

Excellent post. It’s unconscionable not to take reasonable precautions not to act like this is a serious illness that can and should be prevented.

Masks reduce risk. There’s no rational denying that. And they help us not to close.

There have been people that I've respected and disagreed with at the same time.

That means I am still in charge of my life. I don't follow blindly behind anyone no matter how much I like or respect them.

That's probably why I'm unemployed right now. LOl JMO

The problem is that humans have repeatedly shown they aren’t like you. Most people are followers. They need guidance from people they respect. People in authority.

That’s hard for us on webslueths to understand because we have so many critical thinkers here.

Wow, really? Opposite here.

But I think he kept his distance while unmasked - and showed good cheer and courage while doing so.

He is more physically fit -IMO- than Trump. He doesn’t tan as much though, likely hasn’t had facelifts (Trump seems to have) and he’s been through a lot more work the deaths of several of his close family members.

But doesn’t everyone realize that extreme measures will be taken to keep him healthy? He’s going to get stuff that others won’t and that isn’t an indication as to his level of illness.
He looks healthy to me. And I don’t think there’s a chance in hell he faked this. To me it’s the opposite of what he would do. So this far, IMO, whatever he’s doing is working.

Regarding President Trump being given dexamethasone, this link explains the cost-benefit ratio that his doctors would have considered before prescribing it. Generally speaking, it would be an indication of how serious a patient’s illness is when it’s prescribed because a side effect is that it suppresses the immune system. So careful monitoring is needed. But in President Trump’s case, there may have been other considerations.

Dexamethasone: Trump is taking the steroid drug for coronavirus. That could be serious, doctors say - CNN

I don’t think anyone here has suggested he faked this. Strangely, I have heard that thought expressed by individuals at both ends of the political spectrum, but not by anyone who is exactly credible.

I certainly hope what they are doing is working. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I think it’s important to remember that this is a sneaky disease. People who appear to be doing well and improving can take a sudden turn for the worse, especially between 7-10 days, as we know. So, even if he goes home tomorrow that really doesn’t mean he’s well and out of the woods. And I hope he has been made aware of that so he doesn’t think he’s all over it, fails to rest and jumps back to a heavy schedule right away.
  • People with mild symptoms of COVID-19 can quickly become seriously ill.
  • Experts say these worsening conditions are usually caused by an overreaction of the immune system after symptoms first appear.
  • Experts say it’s important to rest and stay hydrated even if your symptoms are mild.
  • They also say you should isolate yourself at home if you have any symptoms.
“This disease can cause mild symptoms in someone, and then they recover in a couple of days or a week and do well after that. In contrast, they can be ill at some point prior to or after formal diagnosis, recover a lot or slightly, then get seriously ill 7 to 10 days later in what we think is likely related to immune dysregulation, or the cytokine storm we have all heard about,” Dr. Dana Hawkinson, the medical director of infection prevention and control at The University of Kansas Health System, told Healthline.

Mild COVID-19 Symptoms Can Quickly Turn Serious

On the day Donald Trump tested positive to COVID-19, so did 43,752 other Americans.

He joins more than 7.4 million people who have now tested positive to the virus which has killed more than 209,000 people across the United States.

On October 3, four states — Kentucky, Minnesota, Montana and Wisconsin — saw record increases in new cases.

Kansas, Nebraska, New Hampshire, South Dakota and Wyoming also set new records for cases last week.

Florida continues to relax coronavirus restrictions, with Governor Ron DeSantis last week allowing restaurants and bars to operate at full capacity.

On Sunday, New York City's mayor Bill de Blasio asked for permission to reintroduce restrictions to stop current clusters from spreading to become a "second wave", like the one that killed more than 24,000 New Yorkers earlier this year.

On the day Donald Trump tested positive to COVID-19, so did 43,752 other Americans

Boris Johnson has admitted the UK public are furious at the continued coronavirus restrictions, but said scientific advice suggested a vaccine or mass testing would be possible by spring.

The prime minister said people should “behave fearlessly but with common sense” and carry on with their lives as much as possible while obeying the rules.

He said the situation was “going to continue to be bumpy through to Christmas, it may even be bumpy beyond” and that he appreciated people’s fatigue.

“They’re furious at me and they’re furious for the government, but... this is the only way to do it,” he said. “As prime minister I couldn’t take a course that could expose us to tens of thousands more deaths in very short order.”

Boris Johnson: public are furious about Covid restrictions

Beachgoers in Sydney were told to avoid a handful of popular beaches that neared their coronavirus capacity on Monday as beaches south of the city in the Royal National Park were shut due to large crowds.
When Bondi beach’s capacity of about 6,000 is reached, no one on the sand will be asked to leave, but people seeking to enter will be told to visit local shops and cafes until enough people leave and “beach ambassadors” consider it safe to reopen.
Sydney beaches near Covid capacity as warm weather sees huge crowds gather on sand

Violence erupted on a Melbourne beach as police clashed with members of the public seen ignoring social distancing rules to escape the city's unseasonable heat.The incidents come as a Melbourne council has threatened to close local beaches to the public after crowds were seen ignoring social distancing rules.
Premier Daniel Andrews urged Victorians to remain vigilant with social distancing and getting tested, otherwise the state could see numbers in the hundreds again.
Mr Andrews condemned the crowds yesterday, threatening to have beaches closed if social distancing rules continued to be ignored.
Violence on Melbourne beaches as police clash with dozens flouting virus rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members