Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #87

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Websleuths Coronavirus - Covid-19 Forum

Current Statistics for Each Individual States

Hoaxes, Scams and Misinformation

Stats and Information from Other Countries

COVID-19 -Media, Maps, Videos, Timelines, CDC/WHO Resources, etc. ***NO DISCUSSION***

Covid-19 Vaccine Development

Memorial Thread - COVID-19 Coronavirus

Social Distancing-the good, bad and downright ugly.

Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C and COVID-19)

—-

Safety Tips and Things to do While Quarantined

Smiles Cafe

Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Health, Hygiene and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine

WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus and testing

Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

Facial Mask Making - Coronavirus

Netflix or Amazon Prime recommendations

Home Schooling

Making Our Own Soaps, Sanitizers, Detergents and Other Household Products

______

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64 Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68[/URL] Thread #69 Thread #70 Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 Thread #75 Thread #76 Thread #77 Thread #78 Thread #79 Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83 Thread #84 Thread #85 Thread #86

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN NOTE:

10ofRods is a Verified medical anthropologist and as such they are not required to provide links to information that is within the area of their expertise.

Hey everyone,

This thread is for sharing information, not debating or bickering or winning an argument.

State your opinion, post your link to info, then move on without feeling the need to comment on every single detail of every single post. It takes over the thread and none of us are here to hammer our own opinion into the heads of other members.

Thank you.

ADMIN NOTE:

Websleuths is based in the US but has members from all over the world.

Any member who posts snark about another country will be permanently removed from this discussion.

Wisconsin creates 'critically high' coronavirus activity category amid surge in cases — Fox News

“Far too many of our communities are in a dire situation," Julie Willems Van Dijk, deputy secretary of Wisconsin Department of Health Services, said in a news release. "To put these new data in perspective, Wisconsin is now seeing more average cases per day than New York City did at the peak of its surge last spring."

“Indeed, on Wednesday, Wisconsin reported over 7,000 new daily cases; whereas New York City saw a high of over 6,300 reported cases in early April.”

:eek: What is driving the numbers up in Wisconsin?

The Covid-19 crisis in America is so dire now, international aid workers have arrived to help.
US coronavirus situation is a 'humanitarian disaster,' and the pandemic is only accelerating, experts say - CNN

Oh my word. MSF is an amazing organisation who have saved lives all over the world from disease and disaster - these are the real good guys and well worth donating to. I’m shocked and sad that they’re having to help in the US though, and scared it’ll be us next :(

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) International

Oh my word. MSF is an amazing organisation who have saved lives all over the world from disease and disaster - these are the real good guys and well worth donating to. I’m shocked and sad that they’re having to help in the US though, and scared it’ll be us next :(

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) International
They are a wonderful organization that I have been donating to for many years. I am also shocked that they are having to help the US.

“Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers urges but does not order people to stay home

Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers on Tuesday issued an executive order urging, but not requiring, limits on public interaction on a day of record infections and deaths and as hospitals are running out of intensive care beds.

It's the first time the governor has used a primetime platform to ask the public to begin to take the pandemic seriously, nine months into the outbreak.

"Wisconsin, this is serious. This crisis is urgent," Evers said in a speech from the Wisconsin State Capitol. "It's not safe to go out, it’s not safe to have others over — it's just not safe. And it might not be safe for a while yet."

Evers' advisory comes as Wisconsin hit new records: 7,073 new cases of COVID-19, 66 new deaths and 2,070 people in hospitals sick with the virus. As of Tuesday, there are just 128 intensive care beds available in the state — a supply that could disappear within seven days if current trends continue.“

COVID news: 1M US cases in November; NFL approves contingency plan

My spouse, a public school teacher, has been told that a symptomatic student tested positive this past weekend after being in class Friday. Luckily, all teachers and students seem to wear masks at school. School nurse has advised my spouse to (1) quarantine for 14 days, (2) wear a mask at home and (3) exclusively use one bathroom in the house. Spouse has elected to follow only the first suggestion. Should I be worried, p-off, of indifferent? As Twenty One Pilots would say... What's my Level of Concern?

If she won’t wear a mask, then you should. I would have the kids wear masks too. I’d distance myself from her (not be in the same room if it was avoidable). I realize the kids can’t/won’t distance themselves from her. Hopefully they aren’t at an age where they need assistance bathing, etc.

I hope your wife doesn’t have it (she may be fairly certain that she doesn’t - but it sounds like she did have contact with someone infectious).

She sounds like she’s in denial. We think that transmission at home (among family and friends) is one of the main vectors in the US but also in Europe.

Keep us posted. Keep windows and doors open as much as possible, do not sleep in the same room with her, wear a mask when she is home. Air the house as much as possible (a HEPA filter in her bedroom and one in the living room would be useful).

Direct fans so that outside air comes in. A humidifier might help (alternate it with the HEPA filter) because HEPA filters dry the air and this virus likes dry air.

If she’s in denial about the risks, I don’t think there’s a lot else you can do but once this is over (in 2 weeks if she’s not got Covid - when she’s feeling better if she does become symptomatic), I’d sit down and discuss it.

BTW, keep in mind that she could be completely symptom free and still have Covid/be spreading it to you and the kids.

(I feel like my posts are always so gloomy...)

For the 4th time in 12 days, South Carolina's confirmed daily cases is over 1,000.

S.C.'s newly-confirmed daily COVID-19 cases reach back over the 1,000 mark

179,832 confirmed positive cases (+1,243)
3,817 confirmed deaths (+8)
Percent Positive - 14.4%

Yet very few people I talk to around here (in my county at least) seem to be concerned about it. The state-wide case count may be high, but our county death count is low (less than 50) - so no big deal, I guess?

With COVID-19 cases rising, experts say demand for PPE increasing in Mass. | Boston.com

Casual American life is fueling the coronavirus surge | Boston.com

COVID impact: Interstate youth hockey competitions across region suspended

4 Boston schools consider returning high-needs students to in-person learning

Database shows how largest Mass. school districts are dealing with COVID-19 | Boston.com
More at link
Almost a quarter of public school districts in Massachusetts are in fully remote learning models due to the COVID-19 pandemic. But among the state’s 40 largest districts, the rate is nearly double.
According to a survey released Monday by Boston University and the Massachusetts Business Alliance for Education, 18 — or 45 percent — of the 40 biggest school districts in Massachusetts have students learning entirely at home due to the coronavirus. That includes the state’s three biggest public school districts: Boston, Worcester, and Springfield. Another 18 districts are in hybrid learning models, with students receiving a mix of in-person and virtual classes, while four districts have implemented differing approaches based on grade level.
None of the 40 district are using fully in-person learning models.

As of Sunday, the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education said that 23 percent of the state’s 371 school districts were fully remote. According to Baker, that is “too many.” State education officials argue that schools have not proven to be spreaders and that the safety standards — such as face covering and distancing requirements — should make it safe for students to return to physical classes in at least some form.

Biden's coronavirus advisor is about to make a lot of people very, very angry — BGR

“Dr. Michael Osterholm, a coronavirus advisor to President-elect Joe Biden, has an idea on how to control the pandemic. His solution will upset a lot of people, including politicians who have resisted similar strategies before. The health expert thinks that a nationwide lockdown of 4-6 weeks could help officials control the pandemic… and he says it can be done in such a way that helps the economy instead of hurting it.”

1)Where exactly will the money to fund businesses,wages, etc come from??
2). If restrictions are going to be tightened who will be deemed “ essential “??
Let’s be brutally honest here.... if we are going into that kind of lockdown how will people get food? Medicine? Necessary things like that?
While some may support a very strict, national lockdown
Those are some of the same people who expect their groceries delivered, pizza, takeout, and meds, truck drivers, and warehouse workers supplying stores. Those workers ,while considered essential are also humans. Are we all willing to go without all of that?

I learned yesterday that a cousin of mine has died of Covid-19--the first relative and first person I knew personally who has died from Covid. He was quite a bit older than me and was in a nursing home in Illinois that is having an outbreak of the virus.

As the Covid numbers shoot up all over this country, we know too well that deaths will follow.

Wisconsin creates 'critically high' coronavirus activity category amid surge in cases — Fox News

“Far too many of our communities are in a dire situation," Julie Willems Van Dijk, deputy secretary of Wisconsin Department of Health Services, said in a news release. "To put these new data in perspective, Wisconsin is now seeing more average cases per day than New York City did at the peak of its surge last spring."

“Indeed, on Wednesday, Wisconsin reported over 7,000 new daily cases; whereas New York City saw a high of over 6,300 reported cases in early April.”

:eek: What is driving the numbers up in Wisconsin?

WI is one of many states where mask-wearing is not at target levels (90%) and google analytics shows that people are almost as mobile as they were before the pandemic (that’s changing, but that’s what got WI where they are).

I think the data are showing that silent transmission from younger people to older people is significant and than any indoor space (where people don’t usually wear masks) is a likely vector for Covid.

People continue to meet in small groups and each person’s “bubble” is joined together. Asymptomatic kids pass it to teachers and other adults who pass it on before becoming aware they even have it.

Covid is most contagious *before* symptoms show up - when the fever arrives, apparently it is waning in its transmissibility (the world record case for remaining infectious is one man who breathed out live virions for 72 days).

14 days is merely a handy concept - there are probably quite a few people back at work (unmasked) who had CV, know it, and think they are not contagious.

It’s such a slippery disease. I know someone who almost certainly has it (many symptoms, very sick, 69 years old, was exposed) but his first test (day of his first symptom) returned a negative, his doctor says it’s likely a false negative and is having him get another test, plus other bloodwork). Because if it’s not Covid, it’s still something that’s not good (high fever, rash, shortness of breath, headache, fatigue, confusion).

In between his exposure and the day he first had symptoms, he was around his wife unmasked as well as other friends and family members - and that seems to be the most common way of transmission (among family and friends; in workplaces , at home).

Iowa numbers today and recent news: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 4,337 new confirmed cases for a total of 170,358 confirmed cases of which 105,357 had recovered (+1,146). 30 more were reported to have passed for a total of 1,928. There are 65,001 active positive cases with a positivity rate of 50% in the last 24 hrs. There were 207 hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 1,208 (+ 18 new daily record). The approximate daily age groups are as follows (I'm 2 short in a group): 0-17: 15,927 (+501); 18-40: 73,971 (+1,717); 41-60: 48,199 (+1,185); 61-80: 25,043 (+683); and 81+: 7,178 (+249). Nov. 12: With 50% positivity rate, Iowa reports another 4,337 cases, 30 more deaths
Iowa COVID-19 Information
Iowa to offer more detailed coronavirus information
White House Task Force: Iowa ranked 4th in new virus cases
Iowa teacher dies 3 days after testing positive for COVID-19 Jason Englert is from the Belmond-Klemme school district.
Charles City schools teacher with COVID-19 dies - KCHA News
Sadly, the above 2 teachers are IMO 2 of 4 school district employees that I posted about in the last week or 2. One was a bus driver.
IHSAA, UNI cap state football attendance at 2,400 per game

1)Where exactly will the money to fund businesses,wages, etc come from??
2). If restrictions are going to be tightened who will be deemed “ essential “??
Let’s be brutally honest here.... if we are going into that kind of lockdown how will people get food? Medicine? Necessary things like that?
While some may support a very strict, national lockdown
Those are some of the same people who expect their groceries delivered, pizza, takeout, and meds, truck drivers, and warehouse workers supplying stores. Those workers ,while considered essential are also humans. Are we all willing to go without all of that?

I am not exactly sure what the term "lockdown" means- it could mean that some businesses like grocery stores are deemed essential and will remain open- that people will have to wear masks and socially distance in order to go to the store. All I know is that right now herd immunity is what is happening - the virus is ripping thru the country unchecked and something must be done- we can't wait for Biden to take office.

Gov. Charlie Baker reiterates that children should be in classrooms as he tours Carlisle school
More at link
Last week, Baker, Riley and Peyser doubled down on their push for districts to bring students back into classrooms during the coronavirus pandemic. Announcing updated guidance, the officials said districts should prioritize in-person learning as long as there is no evidence of in-school spread of COVID-19, even if a community is designated at “high risk” for spreading the virus.

Baker touted some of the ways Carlisle has adapted to bring students into classrooms during the pandemic, aside from the more obvious and required measures like mask-wearing and hand-washing. For example, Carlisle has four shifts for lunch, Baker said, with students eating in the classroom or cafeteria based on shift.

“I’m sure that that is a big change from the way things used to work,” Baker said. “The classrooms themselves, it’s pretty obvious that you’re using every single square inch of space that’s available in those classrooms to create the kind of distance you want to create for the kids.”

Baker noted that every child the officials saw during their tour of the school was wearing a mask. The students did not seem stressed by the requirement, Baker said, adding “which makes them a lot more mature than many of the adults that I know.”

Fwiw
Carlisle district <600 students
Enrollment Data (2017-18) - Carlisle School (00510025)

Carlisle, Massachusetts - Wikipedia

Our district has over 25,000
students. (And our demographics are very different than Carlisle) Kinda oranges to apples imo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member