Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #88

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

The hypocrisy is epic. No wonder this country is such a disaster. The leaders are not even providing leadership. And where is Pence? Wasn't he supposed to be in charge of the Covid response? Has he just bailed?

Lol...I don’t know about that, but seriously, like @mickey2942 said, how many of us were using terms like “pandemic” and “quarantine” before all this?

Again, the learning curve has been immense. I think I’ve learned more this year than in my entire college career, al though I did learn to do a keg stand and smoke weed out of a toilet paper roll in college which is pretty impressive...

Kudos to all for hanging here and learning...what a year...

I think I want to sit the next year out and just hit here and go “duh...”
Can we start a thread on that toilet paper trick? At my State University I just learned how to get beer from an already set up keg and roll joints from kleenex ....

Last edited:
Iowa numbers today: As of 10:00 a.m., we had 3,331 new "confirmed" cases for a total of 222,278 confirmed cases of which 124,522 had recovered (IMO +2,475). 41 more were reported to have passed for a total of 2,312. 193 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 1,269 (-36). The IDPH did not update their status page at 11:00 a.m. today, so I can't update the daily increases in the age groups.
Iowa reports 41 additional COVID-19 deaths This is the most accurate and detailed article from Iowa MSM today. All other stations lacked detail or were late so won't match 24 hr. numbers tomorrow.

The hypocrisy is epic. No wonder this country is such a disaster. The leaders are not even providing leadership. And where is Pence? Wasn't he supposed to be in charge of the Covid response? Has he just bailed?
I think there's a saying, that only a crisis reveals a person's true character. It's easy to fake leadership qualities, or anything really, during good times. IMO, if qualities like integrity and concern for others aren't there to begin with, they won't just magically appear when they're needed.

Tonight, a group of 35 Aussies are relieved to be coming home from San Francisco (originating from various areas of the US).
We had hoped to have all Aussies home by Christmas, but it looks as though there are 12,000 of them that won't be able to make it by then due to our quarantine capacity limitations.
(Victoria being locked down stopped them taking incoming Aussies for 3 months, and now my state can't take any until we are through our little crisis.)

A group of 35 Australians stranded in San Francisco by a cancelled United Airlines flight will be allowed to return home immediately after the infrastructure department intervened, revising arrival caps.

One flight from London on 30 November will see passengers home by Christmas, but three flights from Frankfurt, Chennai and Paris arrive in mid-December, meaning their passengers will spend Christmas in hotel quarantine.

In September, Scott Morrison held out hope that 26,700 Australians registered to come home would be able to do so by Christmas.

But on Thursday department of foreign affairs and trade officials revealed that although 35,000 Australians have returned home since then, only 14,000 were registered with the department, meaning more than 12,000 from the September cohort are still overseas.

Australians stranded in San Francisco to come home

Last edited:
I think there's a saying, that only a crisis reveals a person's true character. It's easy to fake leadership qualities, or anything really, during good times. IMO, if qualities like integrity and concern for others aren't there to begin with, they won't just magically appear when they're needed.

Brilliantly stated.

I agree

Covid-19 is shining a bright light on who people are, what is important to them, and their way of being in the world
Whether for the bad, or for the good

My view

Last edited:
CAN YOU GUESS WHO ARE THE REAL PEOPLE IN THIS PHOTO?

201124155451-grandparents-coronavirus-holiday-cutout-trnd-exlarge-169.jpg

Quinton, Oliver and Clara Buchanan (l-r) have enjoyed posing for photos with the cutout of their grandparents.

(CNN) A Texas couple came up with a clever and safe way to be with their grandchildren over the holidays after canceling their traditional, in-person celebrations because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Buchanan said big family gatherings don't feel safe this year, so she and her husband decided to stay home.

Missy and Barry Buchanan sent life-sized cardboard cutouts of themselves to their daughter in California and their son, who also lives in Texas.

"I just remember thinking, 'you know, I want to do something that'll be funny and unexpected,'" Missy Buchanan told CNN.

Their daughter said they haven't been able to see their grandson Noah since Christmas and her other grandchildren have only been able to make an outdoor porch visit because of the pandemic.

"We weren't really expecting anything that crazy," Mindy Whittington said. "We opened it up together and we just could not stop laughing." :D

She said Noah talks to the cutout, and likes to have it in his room at night when he's ready to go to sleep. :)

"We can still have fun. It's just going to be a different kind of fun. And knowing that it's not going to last forever, and we all will be back together again, hopefully soon." Missy Buchanan said.

Texas couple sends life-sized cardboard cutouts to their grandkids after coronavirus canceled their holiday plans - CNN

Last edited:
The deadly reality of America's bitter battle against coronavirus was obvious to families that gathered across the country for Thanksgiving dinner: There were empty seats around the table.

In Deer Park, New York, Vivian Zayas replaced a seat from the table at her home with her late mother’s walker. She scrolled through photos of last Thanksgiving, when her mother, Ana Martinez, who died in April of COVID-19, stood at the stove making a pot of rice and beans.

For Jessica Franz, a nurse who works the graveyard shift at Olathe Medical Center in a Kansas suburb, a typical year would have her mother-in-law laying out a feast for her children. That didn't happen this year: Elaine Franz died of the coronavirus on Nov. 10, a day before her 78th birthday.

Every minute, 114 Americans are testing positive for COVID-19, according to Johns Hopkins University data.

Every hour, 65 Americans are dying.

COVID news: AstraZeneca new trial; US deaths, cases; Fauci warning

Last edited:
It was interesting that he said he didn’t get it on the set because they followed proper protocols and everyone else was fine. Of course, someone could have been asymptomatic. I think he may have gotten it from his wife if she was the one going to the gym and picking up take-out as mentioned in the People Mag article. Or it could be a mystery. If my dh and I got it I’d be hard pressed to figure out where. I never leave our apartment and he is so careful...he even carried groceries up three flights of stairs tonight because someone got out of the elevator not wearing a mask! But it can happen and quite frankly, it terrifies me.

Yes! Elevators. I just remember NYC in the early days........
I am just so grateful my daughter and boyfriend moved down here, since they both work remotely.....
I would just panic thinking about their 6 floors in an elevator daily...

View attachment 273391

Video filmed from KTLA's traffic helicopter in California shows traffic backed up for kilometres, as people take to the roads for the national holiday of Thanksgiving.
Massive Thanksgiving traffic jams spark COVID fears in US

I think I would title that traffic gridlock photo ”No one is listening to the scientists”...:mad::(

Dr Osterholm told CNN's Jim Acosta today that Americans need to understand how dangerous the virus is and how much more dangerous it will become.

"We are going to see our hospitals literally on the verge of collapse," he said.

Dr Anthony Fauci told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Wednesday that his final pre-Thanksgiving plea is to keep any indoor holiday gatherings as small as possible

"What we don't want to see is yet another surge superposed upon the (current) surge ... which we'll realise three (to) three and a half weeks from now."
BBM

I think I would title that traffic gridlock photo ”No one is listening to the scientists”...:mad::(

Dr Osterholm told CNN's Jim Acosta today that Americans need to understand how dangerous the virus is and how much more dangerous it will become.

"We are going to see our hospitals literally on the verge of collapse," he said.

Dr Anthony Fauci told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Wednesday that his final pre-Thanksgiving plea is to keep any indoor holiday gatherings as small as possible

"What we don't want to see is yet another surge superposed upon the (current) surge ... which we'll realise three (to) three and a half weeks from now."
BBM

3 to 3½ weeks from now brings us up to right before Christmas. There is a good chance that is when a surge on the hospitals may be realised. It may be a very grim and worrying Christmas for many US families.

And, of course, the healthcare workers will be feeling the brunt of it all.

Attachments

• 68B2B38D-3E03-47E6-B34C-CBDA78294F5C.jpeg
    68B2B38D-3E03-47E6-B34C-CBDA78294F5C.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 4C1243D8-949E-48C1-91A1-1682AEFD372E.jpeg
    4C1243D8-949E-48C1-91A1-1682AEFD372E.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 17
This information was new to me.

AstraZeneca manufacturing error clouds vaccine study results | 11alive.com

"In a statement Wednesday, Oxford University said some of the vials used in the trial didn’t have the right concentration of vaccine so some volunteers got a half dose. The university said that it discussed the problem with regulators, and agreed to complete the late stage trial with two groups. The manufacturing problem has been corrected, according to the statement.

WHAT ABOUT THE RESULTS THEMSELVES?

Experts say the relatively small number of people in the low dose group makes it difficult to know if the effectiveness seen in the group is real or a statistical quirk. Some 2,741 people received a half dose of the vaccine followed by a full dose, AstraZeneca said. A total of 8,895 people received two full doses.

Another factor: none of the people in the low-dose group were over 55 years old. Younger people tend to mount a stronger immune response than older people, so it could be that the youth of the participants in the low-dose group is why it looked more effective, not the size of the dose."

Much more at link

My bubble has been burst... this was the worldwide one... we'll see if some countries delay acceptance at this time. Sad. How the HE&& did this happen at the manufacturing level? Unexcuseable MOO and throws shade MOO upon trust.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member