Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #88

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What could Pence possibly say that hasn’t already been said that anyone would listen to anyway? By now, we’ve all heard from multiple sources that we should be wearing a mask, washing our hands, staying six feet apart, and avoiding unnecessary interactions with others. I sincerely doubt anyone on the right is going to suddenly change their mind about any of that just because Pence comes out to say the same stuff all over again. I doubt anyone from the left is going to listen to anything from this administration except to criticize how/what/when/whatever. So, really, what’s the point? Those who are going to modify their behavior have already done so, or will do so once covid strikes close enough to home to make them stop and think. MSM is going to criticize Pence regardless (whether deserved or not isn’t the point really).

Bottom line is it’s been all over the news that we really shouldn’t be traveling right now, that our hospitals are going to be overwhelmed, etc etc etc. It’s not a secret. People aren’t listening. They aren’t going to listen to Pence either. It’s a train wreck, and I think that’s in large part due to the nature of many of the American people. They would rather risk death than be told what to do.

Edited to add: Throw in the seemingly common theme of “leaders” doing things like attending large indoor restaurant gatherings for birthdays (governor of California of all people with his unreal rules for covid), this guy in Colorado traveling by air to visit out of state family for thanksgiving, and are we REALLY shocked that Americans in general are also doing the same things? Come on. If the supposed leaders telling folks to avoid travel are quite literally doing so AS THEY BOARD A PLANE TO TRAVEL, what do we expect?

IMO

That’s the thing though with messaging and training from leadership.

Simple phases repeated and repeated….until it is heard and practiced.

Inspiration must come from a variety of sources starting at the top [task force] with a consistent message to reach everyone, imo.

Leaders are human and are going to make mistakes I’m not giving up because of the human condition.

This whole separation thing is so counter to our human impulses that changing our natural behavior takes time and constant encouragement.

How many stories have we heard here on WS or at home of caught my careful self-going in without a mask, gabbing with a stranger too close, touching eyes or mouth with public hands?

Until the changes become habit and routine it needs to be said and a reminders of vigilance are needed or we will become complacent just because that is human nature.

I’m listening and I am not a fan of which Pence has plenty.

It would lead to a feeling of more security and wellbeing, a benefit to my community’s economy, if I felt it was as important to the task force as it is to me for the public and businesses to practice recommend protocols.

All imo

@nightowl1975 : “So what’s the point in all of the “OMG, where is Pence??”

Seriously??!!

Wow on all this Pence discussion. It’s amazing to me how we are in an unprecedented crisis, hospitals beyond overwhelmed on the brink of collapse, jobs gone, thousands of people severely sick and dying, people starving and lining up for miles for food, our entire lives uprooted, and there are comments justifying the absence of the “Leader of the Coronavirus Task Force” and top leader of the United States during this critical time!?? Not to mention they have been absent for months and exacerbated/contributed to this situation!

We are only in November. Jan. 20 is not here yet. There is a lot that one in this position could be and should have been doing. I could write a BOOK!

eta: FTR, and golfing isn’t one of them!

Agree... the incoming administration faces so much work to clean up this national disaster.

BIG sigh.

ETA: I think this was supposed to be a reply to Ilovewings regarding her stepdaughter's comments below.

My step-daughter said to us yesterday ( while we Zoomed) that people have to get back to living normal life, and you know, if old people have to stay home, oh well.----

I believe a majority of people I have seen are doing pretty good caring about masks. My brother in law forgets his mask on from habit while traveling alone in the car. I have heard several friends say they get to a store and turn around to get the mask. We are all individuals in our habits many of us have other things on our minds as well but yet majority seem to be trying in my opinion from what I have seen.

I think what helps me the most is FaceTime. We planned a time for Thanksgiving pumpkin pie together and 7 of us visited!

We had FaceTime yesterday with our family, 6 of us. We are in NC, our son, DIL and younger grandson are in Vermont, and older grandson is in California. I didn't even know we could FT with multiple people like that. It was lovely. We had already had our dinner, and they had theirs afterwards.

This morning we learned that their old dog died during the night. He'd been on home hospice and we knew his time was near. He had kidney problems and cancer and had stopped eating. The three of them in VT were with him when he passed. :( So sad.

CDC predicts U.S. coronavirus death toll could reach 321,000 by mid-December

El Paso Faces Surging COVID-19 Deaths as Thanksgiving Celebrations Loom
As deaths mount in the Texas border town, one local funeral director worries large Thanksgiving gatherings could push funeral home capacity over the brink.

Nov. 25, 2020

“With the city's morgues overwhelmed with dead bodies, dozens of National Guard members arrived to assist over the weekend. On Tuesday, Samaniego announced a new curfew for the county over the holiday week, which Texas Gov. Greg Abbott agreed to.“

[...]

““What have the past few weeks been like there at the funeral home?

It's very sad because we're seeing people that shouldn't be passing away from this unfortunately passing away. You see healthy people, you see families that we've talked to that were like, 'You know we were just in Ruidoso [New Mexico] last week horseback riding, and three days later he's gone.' We've had [families] where they lost three family members within two weeks. We know what type of industry we're in, but I don't think anybody wants to see this many people passing away.“

We have four funeral homes here in El Paso, and our refrigeration units are pretty much almost at 50% capacity or a little bit over that. Right now, we're handling over 55 COVID families. So we're seeing an increase, and I just hope during this Thanksgiving that it does not get any worse than what it is now.

It's just overwhelming. We're doing services every day, taking care of these families that lost a loved one unexpectedly due to the COVID, so it's just a harsh, harsh situation. As a funeral industry we've never seen something like this before.“”

Last edited:
America braces for Black Friday: Retailers pin their hopes on shopping bonanza | Daily Mail Online

The article is about people shopping on Black Friday-
I must be naive because I thought people would not be out shopping in droves this year, ya know, during a PANDEMIC--- These must be the same people who traveled by airplane to get to granny's house----bringing, cheer, sickness and death. The surge from all these joyous occasions is going to be overwhelming.

My step-daughter said to us yesterday ( while we Zoomed) that people have to get back to living normal life, and you know, if old people have to stay home, oh well.----

We're shopping. (Online). Best Buy had $200 off my daughter's Christmas present (that was already in her cart) and so we hit Buy before they all sold out. It was very exciting and she gets to pick it up curbside (she'll roll down her back window, a masked employee will put it in her car, she'll wait to take it out, etc).

And I got a really good deal on granddaughter's Christmas present too.

Your step-daughter is exactly like one of my cousins. Her own dad is still trying to recover from COVID, she's supposed to be training in a medical field, but she's "over COVID" and thinks "people who are scared should just stay home."

The problem with this, of course, is that the asymptomatic go running around spreading it - and people who think they're going to be just fine (like my cousin himself) get very sick. The microclotting problem is being seen in young people with very mild cases. This is likely the source of the various lingering symptoms, including psychiatric and neurological ones.

"Old people" in this scenario should include everyone over 40, IMO (since the per case fatality rate for 40-50 is about 1 in 200 people, to me that's absolutely unacceptable and scary).

I do have a question for you (I'll totally understand if you feel it's too personal), but is step-daughter completely independent financially? Because in my cousin's case, the thing she isn't factoring in is that if her dad and older brothers can't work, she's screwed - as she is in school and lives with her dad. If he never goes back to work (which is looking likely), her brothers will help - but I really don't think the 3 kids can afford the dad's place long term...they have a great life on a lovely country property. This is complicated by the fact that one brother has now moved out on his own (with wife) and why should he have to help his sister and brother stay in that house?

(The "girl" cousin is 32 years old).

We had FaceTime yesterday with our family, 6 of us. We are in NC, our son, DIL and younger grandson are in Vermont, and older grandson is in California. I didn't even know we could FT with multiple people like that. It was lovely. We had already had our dinner, and they had theirs afterwards.

This morning we learned that their old dog died during the night. He'd been on home hospice and we knew his time was near. He had kidney problems and cancer and had stopped eating. The three of them in VT were with him when he passed. :( So sad.

I am so sorry about their dog- very sad

Sorry for furry friend loss. Happy you enjoyed some visiting family as well.

“COVID-19 numbers are spiking in Colorado to record highs. Right now, about one in every five hospital patients who occupies a bed has the coronavirus. That’s almost 1,700 patients – an increase of more than 1,000% from September.

“It’s very challenging,” Cunningham said. “And to see people still being very cavalier about this and traveling and going to parties doing, forgive my quote, but living their best life and not taking this seriously…it’s very disheartening to those of us who are working with it everyday. Afraid that we’re going to bring it home to our families.

“I have two little kids at home. I have a 5-month-old and a 5-year-old. I’m absolutely terrified of bringing it home to my family and to my children.””

What a Colorado nurse thinks about COVID-19

I am due for a grocery run which I do dread so plan it around when stores aren't packed which is tricky. I seem to not be as anxious because the last time I did a little observing of people doing their shopping as well. I noticed that you may be able to get a glimpse of people "smiling with their eyes" feels comforting. I just bet I look like a wreck so I plan on spreading a little more cheer through my eyes as well!

Relieved here today. I found out yesterday that my parents still planned to have house guests over Christmas, my aunt and uncle. They are all similar age, 70s, but have made different choices since March. My aunt has continued to go to the hair and nail salon. They eat out at least once a week (this before recent lockdown, but now its lifted they will no doubt continue). They will spend Christmas Eve with their school age grandchildren.

My parents, of course, only leave home for medical appointments.

Anyway, a few conversations since yesterday and now the visit is cancelled. My parents are quite happy (relieved) to have a quiet day. No one seems upset or offended. Quite honestly, that was the least of my concerns anyway.

I am due for a grocery run which I do dread so plan it around when stores aren't packed which is tricky. I seem to not be as anxious because the last time I did a little observing of people doing their shopping as well. I noticed that you may be able to get a glimpse of people "smiling with their eyes" feels comforting. I just bet I look like a wreck so I plan on spreading a little more cheer through my eyes as well!

You are so sweet. I hope you can stock up enough to avoid the grocery stores for 2-3 weeks (or longer).

This next month is going to be hell on wheels for the US. I got a pair of non-sunglasses (blank lenses) just to wear when I want my eyes to smile. My DH thinks this is silly and wants me to wear goggles (and I do if we're going to a medical appointment).

Colorado Springs Mayor takes “sobering” tour of Memorial Hospital

“COLORADO SPRINGS — As COVID-19 patients continue to surge into the city’s hospital beds, Colorado Springs Mayor John Suthers toured the hospital and took part in its daily briefing in order to understand the problems health care providers are facing.

“It’s so sad to see people isolated, on ventilators, and, in many cases, in their last days with virtually no communication with their families. It is a very, very sobering sight,” Mayor Suthers said in a press conference after his tour.”

Thanksgiving celebrations could double U.S. COVID-19 death rate to 4,000 a day, professor predicts

“Dr. Jonathan Reiner, a professor of medicine at George Washington University, has predicted that the daily death rate connected to new COVID-19 infections will double in the next 10 days, bringing the national rate to over 4,000 deaths a day.

"It takes about five to seven days to become symptomatic," Reiner told CNN on Wednesday. "Usually, it takes about another week to be sick enough to be hospitalized so that's two weeks at least, and then it takes usually another week for folks to succumb to the illness."

Over the last month, the number of daily COVID-19 deaths has trended upwards. On November 25, 2,313 deaths were reported, the highest daily toll in five months and the second-highest daily toll in six months.“

Illinois surpasses 12,000 COVID-19 deaths and 700,000 cases

ICU Doctor Simulates the 'Last Moments' COVID-19 Patients See Before Death as Plea to Take Virus Seriously
"This is not fear-mongering. This is real," Dr. Kenneth Remy, a physician for Washington University-BJC Health System in St. Louis, tells PEOPLE

“"This is what it looks like when you breathe 40 times a minute, have an oxygen level that's dipping well below 80. This is what it's going to look like," Dr. Kenneth Remy, a pediatric and adult critical care physician for the Washington University-BJC Health System in St. Louis, says in the clip — which has been viewed over 121,000 times since it was uploaded on Twitter last week.

"I hope that the last moments of your life don't look like this," he continues, holding up a laryngoscope and endotracheal tube used for intubation. "Because this is what you'll see at the end of your life if we don't start wearing masks when we're out in public."

Remy, 43, tells PEOPLE on Thursday that he created the video after seeing a "pretty high mortality in people dying" of COVID-19 in the intensive care unit.“

[...]

“The doctor says he's concerned another spike will sicken healthcare workers and put a strain on his already "fatigued" colleagues.

"This disease is quite rampant and surging. I fear that it will surge even more," he says. "Our hospitals are going to get more full than they currently are right now."“

[...]

“Remy is also afraid of contracting the novel virus at work and bringing it home to his wife Allison and their four children...”

[...]

“"The truth is every time I intubate or perform CPR on a person with COVID, I'm a little nervous of getting the disease," he says. "I can't tell you enough how that fear is real for me and all of my colleagues. It seems odd, but the thought of potentially transmitting the disease inadvertently to those that I love the most in this world [while] doing the job that I have wanted to do since I was five years old is frankly terrifying."“

Hospital workers called exhausted as U.S. records highest number of COVID deaths since May
Parts of Europe are reporting declining cases and Sicily has asked Cuba to send doctors and nurses

“The U.S. recorded the highest number of deaths from the coronavirus illness COVID-19 since May on Tuesday, and continues to average close to 200,000 new cases a day, with hospitals across the nation reporting exhausted health-care workers and steadily filling intensive-care units.

The U.S. added 176,439 new cases on Tuesday, according to a New York Times tracker, and at least 2,203 patients died, the most since early May, and close to the record of 2,603 fatalities recorded on April 15. Nine states — Ohio, Washington, Indiana, Missouri, Wisconsin, Oregon, Maine, Alaska and North Dakota — had record fatalities, according to a Washington Post analysis. The U.S. has averaged 175,270 cases a day for the past week.

BBM:
The U.S. continues to lead the world by case numbers at 12.6 million and fatalities at 260,591, according to data aggregated by Johns Hopkins University. By comparison, the regular flu season has caused between 12,000 and 61,000 deaths annually since 2010, according to CDC data.

Last edited:
Iowa numbers today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 1,266 new "confirmed" cases for a total of 223,544 confirmed cases of which 127,353 are reovering (IMO +2,831). 37 more were reported to have passed for a total of 2,349. 183 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 1,226 (IMO -43). IDPH reports 37 additions deaths related to COVID-19
access Daily case totals updated at 11:00 a.m.

“Elsewhere, there are growing concerns that the U.S. testing and contact tracing system is breaking down under the weight of steadily growing new case numbers. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention seemed to acknowledge the challenge this week, when it released new guidance on Monday.

The agency is now advising states to prioritize people who tested positive for COVID-19 in the past six days and focus on their immediate household contacts, people living, working or visiting “congregate living facilities, high density workplaces or other settings (or events) with potential extensive transmission.”

People who test positive should self-quarantine immediately and notify their own contacts, the guidelines say.“

Hospital workers called exhausted as U.S. records highest number of COVID deaths since May

You are so sweet. I hope you can stock up enough to avoid the grocery stores for 2-3 weeks (or longer).

This next month is going to be hell on wheels for the US. I got a pair of non-sunglasses (blank lenses) just to wear when I want my eyes to smile. My DH thinks this is silly and wants me to wear goggles (and I do if we're going to a medical appointment).
I usually have a list but never seem to be able to coast out longer than a week or a bit over. Things run out with 4 of us, although two do most of their own shopping so it helps. Wish we had delivery here. I could call and order but would need to drive 40 minutes to pick up outside of our small town. One grocery store, drug store, Hardware, Dollar General etc., University here tried to stick the Covid students into our small hotel and that didn't happen! School made a make shift area at the Campus commons area. I am thinking many students got out of there! Been quiet with them not walking home from bars which we usually hear at night, we live a couple of blocks from downtown area. Our hospital holds 5 Covid beds but anyone real sick will be transferred. PS. How do you keep glasses from fogging, tried things that don't work? Thanks for your post!

Sturgis Motorcyle Rally caused at least 86 COVID-19 cases in neighboring Minnesota, CDC says
‘The motorcycle rally was held in a neighboring state that did not have policies regarding event size and mask use, underscoring the implications of policies within and across jurisdictions,’ CDC says

New CDC Report /
COVID-19 Outbreak Associated with a 10-Day Motorcycle Rally in a Neighboring State — Minnesota, August–September 2020
Weekly / November 27, 2020 / 69(47);1771-1776

COVID-19 Outbreak Associated with a 10-Day Motorcycle Rally ...

“What is added by this report?

Following a 10-day motorcycle rally in South Dakota attended by approximately 460,000 persons, 51 confirmed primary event-associated cases, 21 secondary cases, and five tertiary cases were identified in Minnesota residents. An additional nine likely rally-associated secondary or tertiary cases occurred. Four patients were hospitalized, and one died. Genomic sequencing supported the associations with the motorcycle rally.“

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garc