Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #88

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad he didn't see fit to actually purchase as much Pfizer vaccine as "foreign nations" did. We now wait in line behind other nations, who have their orders in. We only purchased 100,000,000 doses (so enough for 50 million people). The Trump administration declined to place an order for another batch that would have arrived around end of March/beginning of April 2021.

Trump administration refused offer to buy millions more Pfizer vaccine doses

We were given the option to purchase more and according to the Guardian, and the New York Times, the Trump administration passed on it.

His announcement of the Executive Order is being televised in Australia this morning. The news is having its usual reaction here.

I wonder if some of it is because so many people simply don't answer phone calls from strangers. Texts would be better - but then you have to depend on people taking the time to call back as instructed.

Most of the time, I don't even play voice messages from people not already in my contacts list, because...it's 99% spam.

That could be a reason, I checked out the Governor's Twitter page and there are hundreds of comments, many also wondering why it's so high, but a good number are also exhibiting resistance. I quit reading but some interesting stuff there.

https://twitter.com/GovMurphy/status/1336011336246054919

Too bad he didn't see fit to actually purchase as much Pfizer vaccine as "foreign nations" did. We now wait in line behind other nations, who have their orders in. We only purchased 100,000,000 doses (so enough for 50 million people). The Trump administration declined to place an order for another batch that would have arrived around end of March/beginning of April 2021.

Trump administration refused offer to buy millions more Pfizer vaccine doses

We were given the option to purchase more and according to the Guardian, and the New York Times, the Trump administration passed on it.

I wonder if the EO will force vaccine manufacturers to fill orders in the US before filling orders in other nations. I heard he was thinking of enacting the Defense Production Act, which would likely bump other nations to the back of the line.

Reuters says they might have to sue to enforce that.

Trump says he will use Defense Production Act if needed for vaccine distribution

President Trump's lawyer Jenna Ellis has informed associates she has coronavirus, multiple sources tell Axios, stirring West Wing fears after she attended a senior staff Christmas party on Friday.
West Wing fears COVID spread after Trump lawyer Jenna Ellis attends White House party

Umm, I think in the last 3 days we have seen more than 3 occasions where she was right next to Guiliani.

Will this be the third outbreak that USA today and other MSM does a contact list?

Here's everyone at the White House Rose Garden SCOTUS event now called a likely 'superspreader.' Help us ID them all.

Tableau Public

*stands up and applauds*

Bravo

Why bravo? Don't we want cooperation and the best outcome for our citizens? I don't know how picking up one's marbles and running home is going to help anything.

To me, this is the time for a coming together of hearts and minds with the health of our nation at the forefront. JMOO

That could be a reason, I checked out the Governor's Twitter page and there are hundreds of comments, many also wondering why it's so high, but a good number are also exhibiting resistance. I quit reading but some interesting stuff there.

https://twitter.com/GovMurphy/status/1336011336246054919

Some of those comment-makers sound really extreme. I'd be reluctant to wear a mask around them. I wonder how they'll react when some of us start wearing "I got my vaccine!" buttons.

I wonder if the EO will force vaccine manufacturers to fill orders in the US before filling orders in other nations. I heard he was thinking of enacting the Defense Production Act, which would likely bump other nations to the back of the line.

Reuters says they might have to sue to enforce that.

Trump says he will use Defense Production Act if needed for vaccine distribution

I think we might find that BioNTech are joint owners of the Pfizer vaccine. BioNTech are a German company. They will not be subject to a US Defense Production Act.

It might be different for Moderna.

AstraZeneca/Oxford won't be subject to a US Defense Production Act either.

Pfizer and BioNTech are jointly developing a vaccine for Coronavirus (COVID-19)
https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...-the-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-for-covid-19.pdf

Why bravo? Don't we want cooperation and the best outcome for our citizens? I don't know how picking up one's marbles and running home is going to help anything.

To me, this is the time for a coming together of hearts and minds with the health of our nation at the forefront. JMOO

Oh, the issue is much more obvious and deeper than that. Neither company needs to meet with Trump to roll out their vaccines.

Instead, I think even the Secret Service, as well as White House Staff, are avoiding these maskless gatherings as much as possible. Naturally, some Secret Service have to be there, but the smaller the group, the better for everyone.

It is a time of COVID, it isn't normal times. This could have been done by Zoom. And corporations do not have to do the bidding of a US President. I suspect that if things had been handled in a high tech manner (as the entire rest of the science and tech world is doing), attendance might have been better. But since it was just a meaningless Photo Op, in the midst of yet another super-spreader event at the White House (last Friday night), I think a person would have to be off their rocker to go visit with the President right now.

I think we might find that BioNTech are joint owners of the Pfizer vaccine. BioNTech are a German company. They will not be subject to a US Defense Production Act.

It might be different for Moderna.

Pfizer and BioNTech are jointly developing a vaccine for Coronavirus (COVID-19)
https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...-the-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-for-covid-19.pdf

No kidding. And Moderna is American-owned.

However, that doesn't solve the problems of production. It's not like making bandages. Moderna has strict controls over the production, obviously, and it's not clear that "the military" can just take over and amp up production.

Nor can some other pharma company simply start manufacturing it - that's not how medication production works. Only Moderna currently has the emergency approval to start distributing. Only Moderna has had its production of vaccine scrutinized by the FDA, etc.

Pfizer, btw, has run into real production problems in Europe - in terms of supply chain for some of the vaccine's components.

So, merely invoking the wartime act isn't going to solve any of that.

Last edited:

Perhaps they don't want to be seen as developing their vaccines 'for the US president'. Nor for his Executive Order. There is a whole big wide world out there - billions of people- that is also waiting for the vaccines.

Replying to my own post, to add. This description is identical to the side effects of my last flu shot, except that fever was only 102. I was over it by the next day. And no, I did not catch the flu from the vaccine. It was my immune system ramping up a great response, for which I am thankful!

Brings back memories of Dr. Campbell, Dr. Sehult and our lovely couple Dave and his wife from the ship/isolation in China, who all told us the fever is due to the immune response... don't mess with it as increased temps are GOOD! I'll never forget such!

In the coming months, I am looking forward to reading as Websleuths posters report that they received the Vaccine.

Perhaps there should be a Thread Dedicated to allowing people to simply post that they got Vaccinated, along with any complications or side effects experienced and/or the brand of vaccine it was.

Great idea! I think we are able to do a new thread her vs. having to have mods do in the subthreads!

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1336402799572213765

Giuliani says he’s taken remdesivir and dexamethasone, a steroid typically used in severe cases (and one that Trump also took).

"I'm doing fine,” Rudy Giuliani says on WABC from the hospital. "Pretty much all the symptoms are gone. I have no fever, I have very little cough, it's just about also gone, I've been walking around, and I think they're going to let me out tomorrow morning."

Agree, at the outset, I would expect a monoclonal antibody injection if he went into the hospital at the outset. That treatment is for later stage with the dexamethasone vs. the monoclonal. Ummmm, I'll sit on hands. We just have his word. Sitting on hands.

I'm sure many of us have reviewed the videos of him coughing and covering his mouth coughing on last WEDNESDAY.

He went in the hospital on Saturday... so 5 days of Remdisivir... gets him out tomorrow right?

His announcement of the Executive Order is being televised in Australia this morning. The news is having its usual reaction here.

Enough doses to last through those that will get the first injections by mid/late January.... (and MUST save enough for those folks to get their second doses MOO)

Then... well, not his problem.

Enough doses to last through those that will get the first injections by mid/late January.... (and MUST save enough for those folks to get their second doses MOO)

Then... well, not his problem.

Thank goodness for that.

I really think that all the medical people around the world need vaccinating first. And the elderly/compromised. The rest of us can wait it out for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow