Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #94

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
apparently it's the Brazil variant?
but we have just as many covidiots as everywhere else unfortunately
we've even got the gov't having to close down churches etc.
Local govt tried to get churches that were superspreaders to go remote, offered on site testing - didn’t want to do either and had their lawyers go after the city and health leaders. So they are open and crowded for looong crowded services. Masks not required.

WTH!!!!!

New US deaths yesterday were 2,570!

Is this a jump due to a state/some states changes or ?? Difference in mortality of the new variant? Result of spring breaks? Anyone know?

Here is screenshot - click on this to see the major major jump

View attachment 291857

Holiday weekend ? Michigan :eek:dump a bunch of data ?

https://twitter.com/JenniferNuzzo/status/1380176298211999744

Jennifer Nuzzo, DrPH
@JenniferNuzzo

There was a large spike in #covid19 deaths reported in the US yesterday. This is due to Oklahoma's reporting of previously unreported cases and deaths.

Local govt tried to get churches that were superspreaders to go remote, offered on site testing - didn’t want to do either and had their lawyers go after the city and health leaders. So they are open and crowded for looong crowded services. Masks not required.
I so wish we had an “unlike” button or an “I’m disgusted” one!

Georgia:

Executive Order 03.31.21.03

▪ Will become effective April 8 through April 30, 2021
▪ Eliminates the Gatherings ban...
▪ Reduces any remaining distance requirements (i.e. distance between parties at restaurants, bars, and movie theaters, and between patrons of group fitness classes)
▪ Eliminates the ability of law enforcement to close an organization for failure to comply with the Executive Order provisions

Governor Kemp signs new COVID-19 Executive Orders - 41NBC News | WMGT-DT
:eek::eek::eek:

whoa

Doctors in Japan announced Thursday they have successfully performed the world’s first transplant of lung tissue from living donors to a patient with severe lung damage from COVID-19.

The recipient, identified only as a woman from Japan’s western region of Kansai, is recovering after the nearly 11-hour operation on Wednesday, Kyoto University Hospital said in a statement. It said her husband and son, who donated parts of their lungs, are also in stable condition.

COVID-19 patient receives world’s 1st living-donor lung transplant in Japan

"An indoor event celebrating a bar opening in rural Illinois has been linked to a COVID-19 outbreak that resulted in 46 cases and a school closure affecting 650 students, according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study published Monday."....

...reports indicated patrons were inconsistent in wearing masks and maintaining a safe distance.....

The Illinois public health department discovered one of the customers who attended the event was asymptomatic but received a confirmed COVID-19 diagnosis the day before attending."

'Repeating the same exact mistakes': Bar linked to COVID-19 outbreak resulting in 46 cases, 650 kids sent home from school

Etc, etc, and so on and so on.

jmo

those people should be fined, criminally charged for exposing other people
oh and pay all the associated health care costs! ... unreal

Last edited:
WTH!!!!!

New US deaths yesterday were 2,570!

Is this a jump due to a state/some states changes or ?? Difference in mortality of the new variant? Result of spring breaks? Anyone know?

Here is screenshot - click on this to see the major major jump

View attachment 291857

OH. MY. GOD. @dixiegirl1035 and friends, I almost just fell over when I saw this. Not kidding. Looking forward to learning more. (See ETA in red below.)

*I have seen once a similar thing on the John’s Hopkins Data in Motion graph - there was one time it showed a CRAZY jump up to 6,000ish deaths, but it seems it was some type of overlap/error/data dump or something bc I took a screenshot at the time, and went in to research further, but the data I found was different. I’m definitely about to find out here.

Eta / Rsbm / BBM in red:
There was a large spike in #covid19 deaths reported in the US yesterday. This is due to Oklahoma's reporting of previously unreported cases and deaths.

OK, thanks, @anneg.

——

“Anthony Dale, the president and CEO of the Ontario Hospital Association, said the United States has suffered “the biggest public health catastrophe in probably the modern Western world’s history.”

While the situation is improving south of the 49th because of a massive vaccination campaign, Canada is trending the opposite direction, yet we’re still feeling a bit of “Canadian exceptionalism,” Dale said, even as we’re “probably about to surpass” the U.S. in terms of community spread.

“We’ve been somewhat blind to our overall performance internationally because we’re sitting right next door to the United States and the disaster that clearly was their experience during this pandemic,” Dale said. “They have clearly experienced much worse outcomes overall than Canada, make no mistake, however, it’s the future I’m worried about, and we’re trending in a worrisome direction in comparison to them when it comes to community spread.”“

“The doses were manufactured by South Korean pharmaceutical company SK Bioscience, which has been contracted to make the vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University.

Canada has contributed $440 million to the COVAX facility, an initiative backed by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations aimed at ensuring equitable access to vaccines.“

Last edited:
apparently it's the Brazil variant?
but we have just as many covidiots as everywhere else unfortunately
we've even got the gov't having to close down churches etc.

Actually, iirc, at last count, B117 accounts for approx 90% of new cases, but P1 is spreading like wildfire (cases doubling) and 1351 is also spreading. Will bring forward source, brb. BC, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec is where we are seeing the most spread.

Eta:
Why Canada is losing the race between vaccines and variants as the 3rd wave worsens
Variants rapidly outpacing vaccinations as third wave shows no signs of slowing down

“More than 15,000 cases of the more transmissible and potentially more deadly variants have been reported across Canada to date, with more than 90 per cent of those being the B117 variant first identified in the United Kingdom.

But the P1 variant first discovered in Brazil is also on the rise in Canada, with cases doubling in the past week to close to 1,000 — mostly in British Columbia, Ontario and Alberta.

And the B1351 variant first found in South Africa is also picking up steam, with over 150 casesidentified in Quebec, more than 70 in Ontario and over 50 in B.C as of Tuesday.

they buried this in the article:

AstraZeneca has said it is working with the British and European regulators to list possible brain blood clots as “an extremely rare potential side-effect.”

Concerns over AstraZeneca grow as Australia, Philippines, African Union curb COVID-19 shots

Today we have limited AstraZeneca shots to those over 50 years of age. People under 50 will be getting Pfizer (whenever they decide they will be gracious enough to ship our order to us).

Statistics show that 1-4 people per million may have clotting side effects with AstraZeneca. A lower risk than many other vaccines. But out of an 'abundance of caution' and to prevent vaccine hesitancy, our govt has made this decision.

Apparently, the reason the clotting is happening at all is due to the occassional and rare person having an aggressive immune system. So this is far less likely in older persons (over 50 years old).

Pfizer recommended for adults under age of 50

Last edited:
We're injecting those vaccines tomorrow. It doesn't seem morally right, though, that we are getting vaccines through that special program. What do you think, LadyL?
I’m not LadyL, and I’m not sure I’m interpreting your question correctly: Do you mean COVAX? And when you say “doesn’t seem morally right”, do you mean because you are a high income country? And other poor nations need them?

IF this is what you mean, here’s my answer to that:

This is a global problem, and right now Canada is in a big storm. IF you guys, being a high income country, just like the US, can help block transmission, and mutation, then you are doing a service to the world. We don’t want to be talking about the “three headed Canadian mutant variant”, Kwim? :D

Your partnership with COVAX is a good and important thing, on many levels.

Last edited:
We're injecting those vaccines tomorrow. It doesn't seem morally right, though, that we are getting vaccines through that special program. What do you think, LadyL?

(Not LadyL, but ..... ) No, it's not fair. But as my mum used to say "whoever said that life is fair?"

Especially for countries that 'could' have controlled their travel and quarantine better. Perhaps not trusting travellers to properly quarantine at home (as I suspect that is how the variants escaped into the community ... "oh I will just pop out and get that milk/whatever I need").

The wealthy countries - and wealthy people - will always be vaccinated first. Be able to buy first. And perhaps COVAX distribution is allowed because Canada is also a contributor to COVAX, and is in a pickle.

I guess we have to push past that, and just accept that 'it is'.

For my own country, I am a little frustrated that we are waiting for our Pfizer order. And I am wondering if it is possible to buy the license to manufacture it ourselves. I haven't heard a peep about that angle. I may just bring it up on some media forums, and see if anyone has answers as to why we are not doing that, if it is at all possible.

Though I did hear a talking head saying this morning that the US will soon have an excess of Pfizer so we should see if we can purchase from the US, as opposed to the EU. Plus Novavax will be ready in June, and we have an order in for that.

I’m not LadyL, and I’m not sure I’m interpreting your question correctly: Do you mean COVAX? And when you say “doesn’t seem morally right”, do you mean because you are a high income country? And other poor nations need them?

This is a global problem, and right now Canada is in a big storm. IF you guys, being a high income country, just like the US, can help block transmission, and mutation, then you are doing a service to the world. We don’t want to be talking about the “three headed Canadian mutant variant”, Kwim? :D

Great answer!

(Not LadyL, but ..... ) No, it's not fair. But as my mum used to say "whoever said that life is fair?"

Especially for countries that 'could' have controlled their travel and quarantine better. Perhaps not trusting travellers to properly quarantine at home (as I suspect that is how the variants escaped into the community ... "oh I will just pop out and get that milk/whatever I need").

The wealthy countries - and wealthy people - will always be vaccinated first. Be able to buy first. And perhaps COVAX distribution is allowed because Canada is also a contributor to COVAX, and is in a pickle.

I guess we have to push past that, and just accept that 'it is'.

For my own country, I am a little frustrated that we are waiting for our Pfizer order. And I am wondering if it is possible to buy the license to manufacture it ourselves. I haven't heard a peep about that angle. I may just bring it up on some media forums, and see if anyone has answers as to why we are not doing that, if it is at all possible.

Though I did hear a talking head saying this morning that the US will soon have an excess of Pfizer so we should see if we can purchase from the US, as opposed to the EU. Plus Novavax will be ready in June, and we have an order in for that.

Great answer!

Continuing this discussion, because it’s deep - all variant discussion aside (I origin

Basically, I’m in favor of anything that goes through COVAX, as I’ve been following their initiative since the very beginning.

Now with that being said, there is a lot to be said about vaccine inequities, which thankfully is what their main focus is.

Dr. Mike said one time “We can’t vaccinate everyone in some countries, we need to vaccinate some in every country”, those who are most vulnerable and predispositioned to developing severe disease. And as Dr. O mentioned, it’s not just a humanitarian issue, it’s a strategic issue wrt the emergence of future potential VOCs.

I was watching Brazil, and other countries, they don’t have oxygen, basic medication, no “sedatives”, other meds... It is heartbreaking to see and think about, and believe me, I think about it all the time. :( I see it every day on all the international videos, etc.

I didn’t read the full article yet, but iirc, Canada has contributed, is it 440 million to COVAX? That’s a job well done because it has helped with research, manufacturing and distribution for vaccines, based on this globally collaborative, investment pool strategy.

I know what you mean, bc I feel bad about others, poorer nations, all the time.

All I can say is that COVAX is WHO, and I’ve listened to Doc T, Dr. Mike, Dr. Bruce, who is the Covax lead, and Dr. Swaminathan, Dr. Angelou-Simao, all of them, and I know that they are approaching this as a global situation, and that they are whole heartedly focused on the lower income countries, on both a humanitarian and epidemiological sense.

Eta: Lastly, imo, it is especially negatively consequential, our absence from the COVAX Facility over this last year, because with us being the richest country, leader of the free world, there is SO much we could have been doing to help approach and contribute to this globally (understatement, words can not express). Jmo.

Eta2: And it certainly doesn’t seem fair for people who denied and superspreaded to be top vaccine candidates, jmo moo.

Eta3: making note to bring forward some of Doc T’s most recent comments, I still keep up with the Conferences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member