Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #94

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is important, as supposed increased suicides were one of the reasons many gave for resisting lockdowns, school closings and the like. Yet no one could ever show proof. Now we know it was the opposite.

I am curious about why the reduction happened, although I suspect that for some in highly stressful jobs, the stress was actually reduced by working from home and that may have effected these numbers.

Where I work, 75% of the staff quit this last year. It was a combination of having to be full time home educators...mostly impossible for women with kids, even with telework. Many others were close enough to retire and did.

There have been so many ramifications of this last year, a domino effect on layers and layers of things, I see it every day. Things that used to have huge legal consequences, now it is...shrug, Covid.

ID has become a huge issue. People used to have to have valid, government issued ID for legal documents. Well, it has been almost impossible for many people to get appointments to update their ID. Expired ID. Sure. Whatever.

Whitmer asks for 2-week pause of Michigan youth sports, indoor dining

Governor Whitmer (Michigan) has made recommendations- no mandate-
1. Don't do indoor dining- she is not shutting down restaurants
2. stop youth sports
3. stop in person learning

There is already an uproar over these recommendations. You really have to wonder about people- It is only for two weeks, yet so many people are up in arms. I guess they just don't understand what a pandemic is- or they don't care.

Whitmer asks for 2-week pause of Michigan youth sports, indoor dining

Governor Whitmer (Michigan) has made recommendations- no mandate-
1. Don't do indoor dining- she is not shutting down restaurants
2. stop youth sports
3. stop in person learning

There is already an uproar over these recommendations. You really have to wonder about people- It is only for two weeks, yet so many people are up in arms. I guess they just don't understand what a pandemic is- or they don't care.

Two weeks is barely long enough to start seeing results. Here, on the other side of the lake, we're in lockdown for four weeks.

With cases now rising again in 24 US states, I just wanted to put this screenshot here of the remarkable improvement the US has gone through since vaccinations started, over the last 4 months. Cases in March were down by 70% over December's case count.

Sure hope things don't slide back to the way they looked in December, and that people can be smart enough to just keep doing the right thing until most everyone is vaccinated (if that is possible).

xx1.JPG

Coronavirus in the U.S.: Where cases are growing and declining

Two weeks is barely long enough to start seeing results. Here, on the other side of the lake, we're in lockdown for four weeks.

I think Governor Whitmer is simply tired of all the backlash and Bull crap she has taken in trying to save the citizens of the state of Michigan. Then of course there was a planned murder against her- So IMO I think she has backed off from mandating things like in door dining. I don't blame her- the citizens of this state don't realize how many lives she saved at the beginning of the pandemic. She is hated by many though.

I think Governor Whitmer is simply tired of all the backlash and Bull crap she has taken in trying to save the citizens of the state of Michigan. Then of course there was a planned murder against her- So IMO I think she has backed off from mandating things like in door dining. I don't blame her- the citizens of this state don't realize how many lives she saved at the beginning of the pandemic. She is hated by many though.

I agree. She has been given the worst time for trying to do the best things. How tiring and defeating it must be for her.

I saw an article recently where it seems she is basically saying "you know what to do, you know how to do it, it is up to you to follow safe practise".

Ontario will start offering COVID-19 vaccines to migrant farm workers arriving at Toronto’s international airport through a pilot project this weekend, The Canadian Press has learned.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs says the pilot will run early Saturday morning, offering shots to 200 workers arriving on a flight from Mexico.

Officials from the ministries of health and agriculture, health-care practitioners and representatives from the Mexican consulate will be at Pearson International Airportto meet the group, offering doses after the workers pass through customs.

The arriving workers will be offered doses of the Moderna vaccine, which will be administered in a screened-off area after they take a mandatory COVID-19 test upon arriving.

Today’s coronavirus news: Toronto records highest one-day increase in COVID-19 cases; Ontario reports 4,227 cases; migrant farm worker vaccine pilot to run at Toronto airport

Ontario will start offering COVID-19 vaccines to migrant farm workers arriving at Toronto’s international airport through a pilot project this weekend, The Canadian Press has learned.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs says the pilot will run early Saturday morning, offering shots to 200 workers arriving on a flight from Mexico.

Officials from the ministries of health and agriculture, health-care practitioners and representatives from the Mexican consulate will be at Pearson International Airportto meet the group, offering doses after the workers pass through customs.

The arriving workers will be offered doses of the Moderna vaccine, which will be administered in a screened-off area after they take a mandatory COVID-19 test upon arriving.

Today’s coronavirus news: Toronto records highest one-day increase in COVID-19 cases; Ontario reports 4,227 cases; migrant farm worker vaccine pilot to run at Toronto airport

We have just brought Pacific Island workers into my state too (from Vanuatu) ... to help with the fruit picking. We don't have vaccines to offer them, but we are quarantining them for two weeks at an altered resort in the fruit areas. If it works out well with this first 100 workers, we will be bringing in another 100 workers in two weeks time.

We hope to increase that workforce to 1,200 incomers - I think mostly from Tonga - over the next 3 months. Otherwise much of our citrus fruit is going to go to waste.

Arrival of first 200 Pacific fruit pickers to ease 'critical shortages' in SA

So many limiting ideas and preconceived notions keep people from making healthy decisions, but I never considered this one. Muslim leaders are trying to counter the notion that it might not be okay to be vaccinated during Ramadan (starts next week) because their members see it as "ingesting" something, which isn't allowed during daylight hours for the entire month.

Islamic leaders battle misconception about vaccines, fasting

We have just brought Pacific Island workers into my state too (from Vanuatu) ... to help with the fruit picking. We don't have vaccines to offer them, but we are quarantining them for two weeks at an altered resort in the fruit areas. If it works out well with this first 100 workers, we will be bringing in another 100 workers in two weeks time.

We hope to increase that workforce to 1,200 incomers - I think mostly from Tonga - over the next 3 months. Otherwise much of our citrus fruit is going to go to waste.

Arrival of first 200 Pacific fruit pickers to ease 'critical shortages' in SA

You guys have done a really good job of keeping your citizens safe. I hope the fruit picking goes well. It'd be a shame to lose all that citrus fruit.

Rise in youth hospitalizations, COVID rates ‘very worrisome,’ says Baystate Health chief pediatrician
More at link
SPRINGFIELD — A month ago, there was not a single case of COVID-19 to be found at Baystate Children’s Hospital. So far this month, there have five pediatric admissions with Baystate Health labs reporting an up to 9% positive rate among those under 18 years — triple the state average.

Dr. Charlotte Boney, who chairs Baystate Medical Center’s department of pediatrics and is pediatrician-in-chief, characterized the rise in admissions and the positivity rate on Friday as “very worrisome.”

“Since April 1, we have had five kids admitted with COVID-19, two of them in pediatric intensive care and one of them with post-infectious inflammatory called Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C),” Boney said. “It is very worrisome.”

She cited household transmission, as well as sports activities, social gatherings and “not school,” as “where these kids are getting infected.” Studies have generally shown low rates of coronavirus transmission in elementary schools that adhere to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines.

“Kids are getting infected at home, not in school,” Boney said. “They are getting it out in the community, sports, recreation, and social events. I think they are getting it from the 20-, 30-, and 40-year-olds who are not vaccinated. They are giving it to their kids who are giving it to other kids. We are very worried.”
The sports connection is concerning. My kids were on teams when school-age and I totally get how important sports are to families.

I call on sports figures and leaders to come out and help communicate/demonstrate different ways kids and families can be sporty...safely. Maybe family workouts and games, maybe outdoor/socially distant ideas with teammates to keep up skills without being in close contact. Maybe actual soccer games are put on hold, but skills, endurance, etc can still be worked on. Come on, coaches, you have the skills to create something different, at least for awhile.

We dropped the ball with education when the nation's families could've used support and encouragement about schooling from home. (Instead, we just expected moms to figure it out and struggle through it on their own, imo.) Now that schools are opening and seem to be safe, we have a new opportunity to help others get through this sport issue....without infecting others in group activities and without smug disdain for families yearning to get back to normal. We need a transition here.

Coaches, sports figures, athletic associations, team parents.....now is your time to pull this together. imo

jmo

Coney Island reopened

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/coney-island-amusement-parks-reopen/

"The reopening of Luna Park and Deno’s Wonder Wheel Amusement Park comes 18 months after the rides closed at the end of 2019 season — and never reopened because of the COVID-19 outbreak.

The shutdown, which marked the first season-long closure in the amusement parks’ history, dealt a tough blow to the local economy. Without the seasonal jobs and foot traffic, unemployment on some parts of the peninsula soared to nearly 30 percent, said one local pol, and the amusement parks’ owners feared they’d be forced to shutter indefinitely."

This is confusing to me because I didn't have any side effects at all from the J&J shot, and when I went in, I was told that side effects were less for the J&J shot than for the second shot of either Pfizer or Moderna.

Of all the people I've know who've been vaccinated so far, that also holds true. My mother's second Moderna shot really made her sick for two days, and others are telling the same story.

In comparison, it seems like only a minute number of J&J patients developed side effects, so why pull the J&J vaccine?

DENVER (KKTV) - Due to a national shortage of the J&J COVID-19 vaccine and possible adverse reactions, Centura Health announced Friday night more than 20,000 people registered to get the J&J shot this weekend will be scheduled to get the Pfizer shot instead at several drive-thru clinics.

Centura Health to stop giving J&J vaccines at 3 Colorado sites, impacting 24,000 appointments

The sports connection is concerning. My kids were on teams when school-age and I totally get how important sports are to families.

I call on sports figures and leaders to come out and help communicate/demonstrate different ways kids and families can be sporty...safely. Maybe family workouts and games, maybe outdoor/socially distant ideas with teammates to keep up skills without being in close contact. Maybe actual soccer games are put on hold, but skills, endurance, etc can still be worked on. Come on, coaches, you have the skills to create something different, at least for awhile.

We dropped the ball with education when the nation's families could've used support and encouragement about schooling from home. (Instead, we just expected moms to figure it out and struggle through it on their own, imo.) Now that schools are opening and seem to be safe, we have a new opportunity to help others get through this sport issue....without infecting others in group activities and without smug disdain for families yearning to get back to normal. We need a transition here.

Coaches, sports figures, athletic associations, team parents.....now is your time to pull this together. imo

jmo

I agree with a lot of what you said--families sure could have used more help figuring out how to tackle remote learning, and individual and family athletics is probably a good way to replace group sports--at least for now.

In the coming years, I think we'll see a lot of changes in sports, school, and the workforce. I think handshakes will be a thing of the past and I think society will adopt healthier trends in dining and recreation.

But, I think it's going to take a while before we see changes most can agree on.

What an impressive photo MOO

Eric Feigl-Ding [URL='https://twitter.com/DrEricDing']@DrEricDing ·[/URL]
4h
The “Hand of God”—in hospital wards where patients die alone, craving the touch of loved ones, latex gloves are filled warm water by nurses to simulate that feeling for patients.

EymEWfMWQAIMzJz

https://twitter.com/joshbrogadirtv/status/1380901821594624001?s=21
Bringing shots directly into communities. This line at a church in East Boston for a Covid vaccine pop-up clinic (J & J single shot). Some people pre-registered but volunteers also canvassed the neighborhood to let residents know they could get shots today. #WCVB

From my limited research things are feast or famine here still. Getting better maybe ? just saw Walmart is starting here this week or next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clarice34ON4ill