Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
z0rx2W7.png

Solicitor reportedly dies with Covid after refusing to take "experimental" vaccine

A BOURNEMOUTH solicitor has reportedly died with Covid after refusing to get the vaccine.

It has been reported that Leslie Lawrenson, 58, died at his home address in Bournemouth in July 2.

His partner, Amanda, told the BBC he made a “terrible mistake” and thought the vaccine was too “experimental”.

She said: “I feel incredibly foolish. Les died unnecessarily.

Well, DH and I spent much of our honeymoon in Canada, a loooong time ago. I was disappointed to find that Lake Louise was frozen and didn't look like the photos I'd seen. :D

We also went to Lake Louise for our June honeymoon a few yrs ago, and it was frozen, much to our surprise. Now, how can I turn this into a covid comment? Awh ... here we go, in case anyone is planning a trip to Lake Louise in Banff National Park, here is the most recent covid info.
COVID-19 and your visit to Banff National Park

Moderna Says a 3rd Dose of Its COVID-19 Vaccine Will Be Needed Before Winter

Vaccine maker Moderna believes people who received two doses of its COVID-19 vaccine will need a third dose before winter as a booster shot.

The company said Thursday it is also working on a single shot that would provide an annual booster for COVID-19, as well as flu and the respiratory condition RSV.

What exactly is Moderna saying?
Today’s coronavirus news: Ontario issues new COVID-19 child care guidelines; Quebec announces vaccine-passport system; Ontario reporting 213 new cases

8:30 a.m. Moderna Inc. said its COVID-19 vaccine remained 93 per cent effective through six months after the second shot, as it reported second-quarter earnings and revenue that beat expectations.

A final analysis of the company’s late-stage study, described in a statement on Thursday, suggests the vaccine’s protection remains stable for long after recipients complete the standard two-dose regimen. The 93 per cent effectiveness level is just short of the shot’s initial efficacy of 94 per cent.

Concern that the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines could wane has stoked talk of booster shots. Some countries have begun to offer vulnerable people third doses, though the head of the World Health Organization has called for a moratorium on such measures until more people in the developing world are inoculated.

Moderna’s latest efficacy data hasn’t been published in a medical journal and the company didn’t release further details.

Despite the apparent endurance of its vaccine, Moderna is exploring options for supplemental shots that could fend off emerging strains of the virus.

All three of the company’s booster candidates produced “robust antibody responses” against delta and other variants of concern in a phase 2 human study, Moderna said in its statement. The boosters are being tested at a 50 microgram dose, or half what is used in the current shot. That data has been submitted to a journal for publication, the company said.

true on getting first two doses earlier. But there is so much chatter on wanting the booster before the protection from the first two shots wain.

Here, in Florida, we watched planes coming in from all over the world to get the vaccine in the beginning.
I could see the same thing in Canada, unless they prohibit on some grounds....

To come into Canada, most people need to be fully vaccinated. Their data is entered into the Public Health system and verified, probably by date, location and batch number. I'm just guessing based on how rabies vaccinations are verified. So it's difficult for anyone to get a third vaccine without telling lies. I really don't see Canada becoming a destination for third boosters.

We also went to Lake Louise for our June honeymoon a few yrs ago, and it was frozen, much to our surprise. Now, how can I turn this into a covid comment? Awh ... here we go, in case anyone is planning a trip to Lake Louise in Banff National Park, here is the most recent covid info.
COVID-19 and your visit to Banff National Park

Well done! We would love to visit that area again, but not sure when it can happen. I hope the pandemic is over before we are too old and decrepit to travel. ;)

Moderna Says a 3rd Dose of Its COVID-19 Vaccine Will Be Needed Before Winter

Vaccine maker Moderna believes people who received two doses of its COVID-19 vaccine will need a third dose before winter as a booster shot.

The company said Thursday it is also working on a single shot that would provide an annual booster for COVID-19, as well as flu and the respiratory condition RSV.

My husband was one of the first who received a vaccine here. He had Moderna. There has been some discussion that before anyone gets third dose boosters, that wealthy nations should send available vaccines to 3rd world countries.

WHO calls for halting COVID-19 vaccine boosters in favor of unvaccinated

I'm not sure I understand this statement. The numbers that we follow, numbers reported in the past weeks/month have nothing to do with Delta?

Data on hospitalizations and deaths in the unvaccinated do not reflect Delta variant, CDC director says
Key members of the federal Covid-19 response team, including Walensky and Dr. Anthony Fauci, President Biden’s chief medical adviser, have repeated these numbers in recent weeks.
Coronavirus update: Latest Covid-19 vaccine and US reopening news

“Those data were data that were from analyses in several states from January through June and didn't reflect the data that we have now from the Delta variant,” Walensky said in a White House Covid-19 Response Team briefing. “We are actively working to update those in the context of the Delta variant.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tr...ederal-workers-regulated-industries-1.6130766

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said today he has asked the clerk of the Privy Council to look into making vaccines mandatory for federal employees and is pleading with hesitant Canadians to get their shots.

"It's time for people to get vaccinated, and for those who are hesitant to go and get their first and second doses," Trudeau said during a press conference with Quebec Premier François Legault today.

I'm not sure I understand this statement. The numbers that we follow, numbers reported in the past weeks/month have nothing to do with Delta?
Data on hospitalizations and deaths in the unvaccinated do not reflect Delta variant, CDC director says
Key members of the federal Covid-19 response team, including Walensky and Dr. Anthony Fauci, President Biden’s chief medical adviser, have repeated these numbers in recent weeks.
Coronavirus update: Latest Covid-19 vaccine and US reopening news

“Those data were data that were from analyses in several states from January through June and didn't reflect the data that we have now from the Delta variant,” Walensky said in a White House Covid-19 Response Team briefing. “We are actively working to update those in the context of the Delta variant.”

I suspect it simply means that they did not separate out the delta variant in the reports and analyses.

I posted about a Missouri Coroner that misused his power to display something other than COVID. Posting this out today as a follow up.

Macon County’s official COVID death toll has been reduced “from upwards of 30 down to 19” because of Hayes’ actions, the Star reports. That reduced number can be found on the Missouri Department of Health Senior Service’s COVID Dashboard as part of the official tally of COVID deaths.

Missouri is one of five states that doesn’t count probable COVID deaths (i.e. those missing a positive PCR test). At least one state health official told the Star that was a decision made by prior leadership, a reference to former health director Dr. Randall Williams. The process for counting a COVID death in Missouri can take up to five weeks in some cases, leading to discrepancies in data at the state, local and national levels.

Hayes said he made changes at the request of families because the thought of seeing COVID listed as a cause of death would be too much to handle.

“A lot of families were upset. They didn’t want COVID on the death certificates,” he told the Star. “I won’t lie for them, it’s gotta be true, but I do what pleases the family.”

Hayes said he wouldn’t put COVID on death certificates when another significant factor could be given as the sole cause of death. The coroner cited examples like pneumonia in an elderly person or a grandparent who smoked all their life. (*this may the same man who wrote pneumonia on my MIL’s suicide. She was elderly, smoked her whole life and did have often have pneumonia but she swallowed every pill in her home according to the detective. He showed us photos of all the empty pill bottles thrown on the bathroom floor. She must have taken them all and laid down in her bed where my aged ill FIL found her. No note left.) I guess we’ll never know for sure. My husband was in the hospital at the time and I was alone with four little kids. I should have done due diligence. I was only 24 and didn’t have a clue…Like I said we didn’t see the death certificate for months later.
Coroner admits excluding COVID from death certificates | myfox8.com

Eta:
COVID-19 is as much a political issue as a personal tragedy for some families. They don’t want the virus on any official record for their dead loved one.

For others, restrictions on hospital or nursing home visits made death and the grieving process almost unbearable. The word “COVID” had become a cruel reminder of how they couldn’t see their family members as they lay dying and, ultimately, of what they had lost.

So the solution: Leaving COVID-19 off the death certificate entirely — an ethically questionable approach frowned on by much of the U.S. medical community as it tries to ascertain the the deadly extent of the pandemic in rural sections of the country and halt its spread.

The Macon County coroner omitted COVID-19 on at least a half-dozen death certificates in cases where another major factor — pneumonia in an elderly patient or “you know, grandma had one lung and smoked all her life,” for example — could be justified as the sole cause of death.
In one Missouri county, coroner excludes COVID from death certificate if family asks

I posted about a Missouri Coroner that misused his power to display something other than COVID. Posting this out today as a follow up.

Macon County’s official COVID death toll has been reduced “from upwards of 30 down to 19” because of Hayes’ actions, the Star reports. That reduced number can be found on the Missouri Department of Health Senior Service’s COVID Dashboard as part of the official tally of COVID deaths.

Missouri is one of five states that doesn’t count probable COVID deaths (i.e. those missing a positive PCR test). At least one state health official told the Star that was a decision made by prior leadership, a reference to former health director Dr. Randall Williams. The process for counting a COVID death in Missouri can take up to five weeks in some cases, leading to discrepancies in data at the state, local and national levels.

Hayes said he made changes at the request of families because the thought of seeing COVID listed as a cause of death would be too much to handle.

“A lot of families were upset. They didn’t want COVID on the death certificates,” he told the Star. “I won’t lie for them, it’s gotta be true, but I do what pleases the family.”

Hayes said he wouldn’t put COVID on death certificates when another significant factor could be given as the sole cause of death. The coroner cited examples like pneumonia in an elderly person or a grandparent who smoked all their life. (*this may the same man who wrote pneumonia on my MIL’s suicide. She was elderly, smoked her whole life and did have often have pneumonia but she swallowed every pill in her home according to the detective. He showed us photos of all the empty pill bottles thrown on the bathroom floor. She must have taken them all and laid down in her bed where my aged ill FIL found her. No note left.) I guess we’ll never know for sure. My husband was in the hospital at the time and I was alone with four little kids. I should have done due diligence. I was only 24 and didn’t have a clue…Like I said we didn’t see the death certificate for months later.
Coroner admits excluding COVID from death certificates | myfox8.com

COVID-19 is as much a political issue as a personal tragedy for some families. They don’t want the virus on any official record for their dead loved one.

For others, restrictions on hospital or nursing home visits made death and the grieving process almost unbearable. The word “COVID” had become a cruel reminder of how they couldn’t see their family members as they lay dying and, ultimately, of what they had lost.

So the solution: Leaving COVID-19 off the death certificate entirely — an ethically questionable approach frowned on by much of the U.S. medical community as it tries to ascertain the the deadly extent of the pandemic in rural sections of the country and halt its spread.

The Macon County coroner omitted COVID-19 on at least a half-dozen death certificates in cases where another major factor — pneumonia in an elderly patient or “you know, grandma had one lung and smoked all her life,” for example — could be justified as the sole cause of death.
In one Missouri county, coroner excludes COVID from death certificate if family asks

He needs to put on his big boy coroner pants, or leave the field and take up a job making happy meals.

He needs to put on his big boy coroner pants, or leave the field and take up a job making happy meals.
I’ve looked but can’t find the remaining four states that don’t count probable COVID deaths (i.e. those missing a positive PCR test). Anyone know?

I went to a party with 14 other vaccinated people; 11 of us got COVID | COMMENTARY

Five days earlier [after testing positive for Covid], I had gone to a house party in Montgomery County. There were 15 adults there, all of us fully vaccinated. The next day, our host started to feel sick. The day after that, she tested positive for COVID-19. She let all of us know right away. I wasn’t too worried....

The official Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guideline stated that, since I was fully vaccinated, I didn’t need to do anything different unless I started developing symptoms. I’m an epidemiologist at a major medical research university, which has a dedicated COVID exposure hotline for staff. I called it, and workers said I didn’t need to do anything.

Fortunately, none of us seems to be seriously ill....
But I can tell you that even a “mild” case of COVID-19 is pretty miserable. I’ve had fever, chills and muscle aches, and I’ve been weak enough that I can barely get out of bed. I don’t wish this on anybody....

Allan Massie (amassie1@jhmi.edu) is an epidemiologist and biomedical researcher at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. The views expressed here are his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth