Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Novavax plans to trial combined flu and COVID super jab in Australia

Novavax is yet to confirm when it expects to complete applications to get its coronavirus vaccine approved in Australia, but the biotech is already planning new local research into a combined influenza and COVID-19 shot.

The vaccine developer has again pushed out timelines for the approval of its vaccines in the US. It told investors on an earnings call overnight it now expects to file for emergency use approval with the Food and Drug Administration during the last three months of this year.

Novavax plans to trial combined flu and COVID super jab in Australia

Novavax is yet to confirm when it expects to complete applications to get its coronavirus vaccine approved in Australia, but the biotech is already planning new local research into a combined influenza and COVID-19 shot.

The vaccine developer has again pushed out timelines for the approval of its vaccines in the US. It told investors on an earnings call overnight it now expects to file for emergency use approval with the Food and Drug Administration during the last three months of this year.

I wonder why they would commence a flu/covid shot clinical trial here not in our flu season.
They are not going to have any flu to test it against.

In a statement on Friday morning, the company said it expects "to initiate [a] Phase 1 clinical trial in Australia later this year".

E7ygxsFXsAE39ZV.png

Mexican factory workers cross Texas border in Covid-19 vaccine outreach effort

In a matter of just six minutes, a factory worker from a Mexican border city stepped off a bus in Texas last week, received the Covid-19 vaccine and was heading back home across the international bridge to Mexico.

In one outreach effort, El Paso county judge Ricardo Samaniego launched a program to vaccinate workers from the many maquiladoras – or factories – in Juarez, El Paso’s Mexican sister city, where hundreds of thousands toil for US-owned companies with operations there.

Lines of coaches came trundling across the border throughout July, bringing Mexican workers and their families to the US to get vaccinated at a specially designated site at the Tornillo port of US entry, just east of El Paso.

Up to 50,000 one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccines were requested, and supplies were channelled through the Texas department of health and human services. That brand was chosen so that visitors could avoid a second trip.

Urgh. That still sounds high. Luckily the vast majority have mild cases.

Anecdotally, I have a friend who had Covid in October, had Pfizer vaccines in May and July, and has just caught it again, really poorly with it this time but managing at home. Another friend in Ibiza (where uptake is low because apparently sunshine and good times will see them through) is in hiding from her friends there, because most of them have Covid. Ok, fine, whatever.

Both Pfizer and Moderna are preparing a program to provide a "booster" vaccine for the winter months.

Moderna says we'll need COVID-19 booster shots this fall, predicting that protection from its vaccine will wane

In the linked article above, the Moderna executive says their vaccine starts to wane after 8 months.

I'm hoping the US experiences the Delta surge the same way as the UK, where it peaks, then declines rapidly. That can happen if everyone gets vaccinated.

Just a note, the Moderna executive says that their vaccine starts to wane after 6 - 8 months. Also, he says that the booster shot they want to give this fall is the same as the earlier Moderna vaccine, and at a lower dosage. He says that the third booster shot isn't targeting the Delta variant, it is the same vaccine as they used for the first two shots. The next booster will target Delta and other variants, a multivalent shot. He thinks this will probably be an annual process and that covid-19 will be endemic. IIRC.

Shattered by COVID, a Lancaster father tries to salvage what remains of his family

Claudio Sanchez came home from his factory job to find his family engaged in its own division of labor. Piled high in the middle of his king-sized bed was enough clean laundry to sustain a family of six for a week.

Until recently, the group crowding Claudio’s bedroom made up three small, separate families. Aaliyah and her two brothers lived with Claudio’s aunt; Claudio’s sister lived with their mother; and Claudio lived with his fiancee, Blanca Leon, their son, Daniel, and Blanca’s teenage son, J.J.

COVID-19 took the lives of nearly every adult in those families. Claudio’s fiancee, his mother and his aunt died in a span of five months — from August 2020 through January of this year. Wanting to keep what remained of his family together, Claudio took charge of all the children.

Just a note, the Moderna executive says that their vaccine starts to wane after 6 - 8 months. Also, he says that the booster shot they want to give this fall is the same as the earlier Moderna vaccine, and at a lower dosage. He says that the third booster shot isn't targeting the Delta variant, it is the same vaccine as they used for the first two shots. The next booster will target Delta and other variants, a multivalent shot. He thinks this will probably be an annual process and that covid-19 will be endemic. IIRC.
The dose Moderna used for its regular shot was probably an overkill. Moderna used 3 times as much mRNA as Pfizer. So even their half dose is larger than Pfizer's regular dose.

Moderna says we'll need COVID-19 booster shots this fall, predicting that protection from its vaccine will wane

While Moderna is developing vaccine candidates tailored to fight variants including Delta, Hoge said the initial booster would likely be the original formulation of Moderna's vaccine given at half the strength of the first two shots.

Hoge said that in reviewing laboratory testing of a third dose, Moderna found that its initial vaccine given as a third shot would be "more than sufficient as a booster" even against the Delta variant.

BBM

So this basically says that Moderna is recommending a third booster of the original Moderna vaccine at half the strength of the first two shots. So probably not a good idea to try to get a third full strength booster shot on one's own.

While Moderna is developing vaccine candidates tailored to fight variants including Delta, Hoge said the initial booster would likely be the original formulation of Moderna's vaccine given at half the strength of the first two shots.

Hoge said that in reviewing laboratory testing of a third dose, Moderna found that its initial vaccine given as a third shot would be "more than sufficient as a booster" even against the Delta variant.

BBM

So this basically says that Moderna is recommending a third booster of the original Moderna vaccine at half the strength of the first two shots. So probably not a good idea to try to get a third full strength booster shot on one's own.
Like I said, they likely could have just used half the dose for their first two shots as well, which is presumably why they are going with half the dose for the booster. You can double the number of people with half a dose, and full dose was likely an overkill to begin with.

Is there an equivalent to "FDA Approval" for the Astra Zeneca vaccine?
I've bowed out of this thread, but I got an alert on your post and didn't want to be rude :) I'm not sure what you mean by the question, though. Every drug used in the US has to be FDA approved unless its approved for emergency use. There is no alternative I've ever heard of and, afaik, none of the covid shots have been approved yet.

mRNA vaccines don't contain any virus. They contain a mRNA sequence for spike protein. What the physician meant is that they can change the mRNA sequence from the original virus to that of delta virus. Delta virus is a mutated form of an original virus, so the spike protein sequence is different. Delta booster will use the mRNA sequence for the spike protein from delta covid. There won't be any virus incorporated into mRNA vaccines.

I was wondering about that: thanks for clearing that up.

I have a question but don't know if anyone knows the answer: it has been said the vaccines are effective for 6 months--- maybe "at least 6 months"-- so my question is, to which I have not heard anything from anyone at CDC, physicians or anyone else: what happens after 6 months. I had my 2nd shot on Mar24- so my 6 months will be up Sept 24-- what happens after that? is the vaccine still somewhat effective or not effective at all.

there are some stats- it supposedly loses effectiveness gradually- lose say 6-8% per month? I will look for the article. Of course, IMO, everyone is different (!) so your individual immunity could be more or less and if you were exposed to a bit of virus, that could, IMO, ramp up your immune system and you have T cells which are supposed to fight whatever invaders come along. Here is one article which just says "gradual:"

How Long Will Your Coronavirus Vaccination Last?

(realistically, IMO, your body is not designed to mount the largest defense ever day after day if there is no virus- it has other things to do- so if there is no virus exposure, it makes sense that your anti bodies decline...)

OK, here Pfizer CEO says loss of 6% every 2 months:

Pfizer's CEO says Covid vaccine effectiveness drops to 84 ...
https://www.cnbc.com › 2021/07/28 › pfizers-ceo-says-...

Jul 28, 2021 — It declined an average of 6% every two months, according to the study, which signed up more than 44,000 people across the U.S. and other ...

there are some stats- it supposedly loses effectiveness gradually- lose say 6-8% per month? I will look for the article. Of course, IMO, everyone is different (!) so your individual immunity could be more or less and if you were exposed to a bit of virus, that could, IMO, ramp up your immune system and you have T cells which are supposed to fight whatever invaders come along. Here is one article which just says "gradual:"

How Long Will Your Coronavirus Vaccination Last?

(realistically, IMO, your body is not designed to mount the largest defense ever day after day if there is no virus- it has other things to do- so if there is no virus exposure, it makes sense that your anti bodies decline...)

OK, here Pfizer CEO says loss of 6% every 2 months:

Pfizer's CEO says Covid vaccine effectiveness drops to 84 ...
https://www.cnbc.com › 2021/07/28 › pfizers-ceo-says-...

Jul 28, 2021 — It declined an average of 6% every two months, according to the study, which signed up more than 44,000 people across the U.S. and other ...

Thank you! I love the Sleuthers here -- you guys are great, always finding the latest and important information!!!!!

Like I said, they likely could have just used half the dose for their first two shots as well, which is presumably why they are going with half the dose for the booster. You can double the number of people with half a dose, and full dose was likely an overkill to begin with.

Interesting. Can you provide a link, I would like to read more about this and be informed, since I was previously vaccinated with Moderna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth