Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

If you were offered the Pfizer vaccine in the next 30 days would you take it?

• Yes

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks dixiegirl! He's in his mid-60s and pretty healthy overall (hikes a lot, backpacking, camping, etc) and is still walking on his own, but slowly, taking things easy. We're in a small town and his doctor is beloved around here, but pretty much clueless about some things, IMO. The last time DH had vertigo, this same doctor told him to take some Dramamine and go to bed.

I read something somewhere about dizziness being a possible side effect of the vaccine, but just looked and I don't see that on the CDC site, which is good. Anyway, I probably am over-reacting, but the idea of getting a drive-through shot is a great idea! The 'Epley Maneuver' vertigo exercises DH found online seem to be helping so maybe by Tuesday morning the vertigo will be gone and all my worry-worting will have been for naught (not the first time, ha!).

If you have a drive-up vaccination choice, I’d say that’s a good choice, even without having vertigo. Dh and I got our Moderna #2 dose shot two days ago (2/26) at Dodger Stadium, drive up appts only. You never leave your car at all throughout the entire process. Because of that, even though there were many, many cars I felt safer because it’s outdoors, and everyone in their cars is masked.

Since we are sharing our after effects of the vaccine here, the #2 shot was a lot harder on me than #1 was. With #1, there was only a little arm pain at the injection site. @Rose in SC, you might be interested in hearing my experience with this: Immediately after injection (while still at the site in my car) I did feel a little bit lightheadedness, but it passed quickly, before leaving the site. No other after effects for #1.

Now, for #2, I felt the same slight lightheaded feeling immediately after injection, but it again passed soon after. Felt ok all day (we had an AM appt). But, the next day (Sat) I awoke to a headache, and as the day went on I started feeling worse with body aches and a feeling like I couldn’t get warm enough. No appetite, too. Today, Sunday, I woke up feeling completely back to normal. So glad.

I won’t complain, because I am so grateful to have been able to get vaccinated. If it wasn’t for my last recent birthday, I would have been in the under 65 group, and like you, my dh is already over that. So it was kinda nice to be able to get it done at the same time. I feel lucky to be older, for once! :p

We still are being told by our official Health Authority that the AZ vaccine offers a 60% protection two weeks after the second jab, the second being given 12 weeks after the first. Meaning that I with many others would have to wait 14 weeks!! before we are possibly protected enough or possibly not, there is no info available at the personal level.

I stepped out in the street after the jab thinking I was protected, or maybe it would take a few days, and if the official information is anything to go by, this would not be the case at all.

It is enough to make on see red, of anger.

However, before the jab, I chatted with the doctor's assistant who was about to give me the injection. She told me that they had taken a two-day course about this vaccine. She said it is a very good vaccine and that she and her colleagues get it too. "You only need a boost after 12 weeks!

And there is more.

The news about AZ coming from the UK is completely different and far more positive:

Oxford vaccine more effective than Pfizer jab, new figures show | Daily Mail Online

The vaccine developed by Oxford University and AstraZeneca is stunningly effective at preventing recipients becoming seriously ill from Covid-19, new analysis shows.

It is even better than the Pfizer jab at stopping people getting so sick that they need to be admitted to hospital, Ministers have been told.

A single shot of either jab cuts the chance of needing hospital treatment by more than 90 per cent, ‘real world’ results from the NHS vaccination programme show.

But the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, shunned by millions across Europe because of concerns over trial data, is proving slightly more effective at stopping severe Covid-19 illness than the Pfizer jab.

Its apparent superiority even holds among over-70s, The Mail on Sunday understands, vindicating the UK drug regulator’s decision to approve it for use in older people.

BBM

I trust that more good news will arrive about AstraZeneca before I get my second vaccination in May.

BTW I linked to the DM because the info is available to all, other sources with the same news maybe behind a paywall, but the DM never is.

I think we all need to remember what the goal here is: it's not necessarily to prevent people from getting COVID. It's to prevent serious illness, hospitalization, death, and long term complications.

If any particular vaccine turns COVID into a mild cold, this is absolutely a HUGE victory and is a vaccine worth getting.

When I was getting my Bachelor of Science in Nursing, giving injections was one of the first things we learned, so I don't see it as high up on the list of skills an RN has, in terms of difficulty
I have also as a nurse, taught patients or family members to give themselves injections

To me, more critical is understanding and having knowledge about what it is you are injecting

I use my pharmacist when I can - I just like the ease of it
For the Covid-19 vaccine, that wasn't an option for my tier where I live, but I think it will be soon

My view/experience

You have a valid point. If they are adhering to the principles of aseptic technique, and have been trained, I'm sure they're fine. I haven't liked what I've seen on the local level, as they'll ADVERTISE vaccines, but no Pharmacist is dedicated to only administering vaccines. The other activities without good handwashing areas are what bother me. I think they had to go into a staff restroom to wash up. I almost walked out, my distrust level was so high. JMO, and I hope it's better elsewhere.

Wow! Would it show up at any time (the disorder?) in my blood? I have a gyn appt end of April. I’ll look more into this. Thank you!

Just saw this. Please go in the AM for lab work. Thrombocytopenia has been fatal for a few newly vaccinated, including one young and previously healthy doctor.

You also could have a uterine disorder you hadn't noticed before now.
The blood test ( likely a plain CBC to start) is urgent for ANYONE with abnormal new bleeding after the vaccine!!

You have a valid point. If they are adhering to the principles of aseptic technique, and have been trained, I'm sure they're fine. I haven't liked what I've seen on the local level, as they'll ADVERTISE vaccines, but no Pharmacist is dedicated to only administering vaccines. The other activities without good handwashing areas are what bother me. I think they had to go into a staff restroom to wash up. I almost walked out, my distrust level was so high. JMO, and I hope it's better elsewhere.

I agree with you

Things surrounding the administration of the Covid-19 vaccine are no where close to being standardized at this time including the ones you mentioned, and that others in this thread have experienced and attested to

I agree with you

Things surrounding the administration of the Covid-19 vaccine are no where close to being standardized at this time including the ones you mentioned, and that others in this thread have experienced and attested to

Happy to meet another RN. :)
I try very hard not to be critical of paraprofessionals doing what I was taught only nurses do, recalling that I, too, taught families of hospice patients at home how to suction, how to give MSO4, things I had thought prior were nursing responsibilities only.
IMO, the families displayed a high level of proficiency before their loved one died. But, I always knew the person was terminal.....

Anyway, with COVID vaccines, I think we are all on edge, and then when a complication or complications do occur, we tend to worry greatly if we're going to have immunity after the second vaccine has been given. I know I might get a very mild case of COVID post- vaccination series, but hopefully NOTHING like last year ( almost the entire year as I got sick in late February when my husband was traveling to Los Angeles on business and back every week or so and all out in the public at the hotel, restaurants, and LAX and DFW airports both.)
I did everything I could do to keep him home but he absolutely didn't see the danger. Until I got so sick and I'd been at home, only, the entire time he was gone. I wouldn't live through a second severe onslaught like that one.

The only good thing I can say is that the chronic Reactive Airway Disorder I now have from COVID did allow me to be in a high risk category for the vaccine. Cold comfort, you know?

I received an email notification from Beaumont Health this morning to schedule my vaccine appointment. I will get my shot this Wednesday at noon. DH hasn't been notified yet, but he'll be driving me, so maybe he can get his vaccination at the same time.

If you have a drive-up vaccination choice, I’d say that’s a good choice, even without having vertigo. Dh and I got our Moderna #2 dose shot two days ago (2/26) at Dodger Stadium, drive up appts only. You never leave your car at all throughout the entire process. Because of that, even though there were many, many cars I felt safer because it’s outdoors, and everyone in their cars is masked.

Since we are sharing our after effects of the vaccine here, the #2 shot was a lot harder on me than #1 was. With #1, there was only a little arm pain at the injection site. @Rose in SC, you might be interested in hearing my experience with this: Immediately after injection (while still at the site in my car) I did feel a little bit lightheadedness, but it passed quickly, before leaving the site. No other after effects for #1.

Now, for #2, I felt the same slight lightheaded feeling immediately after injection, but it again passed soon after. Felt ok all day (we had an AM appt). But, the next day (Sat) I awoke to a headache, and as the day went on I started feeling worse with body aches and a feeling like I couldn’t get warm enough. No appetite, too. Today, Sunday, I woke up feeling completely back to normal. So glad.

I won’t complain, because I am so grateful to have been able to get vaccinated. If it wasn’t for my last recent birthday, I would have been in the under 65 group, and like you, my dh is already over that. So it was kinda nice to be able to get it done at the same time. I feel lucky to be older, for once! :p

slowpoke - thanks so much for the first hand experience! DH will be getting the Pfizer vaccine so perhaps he won't experience any lightheadedness. I did tell him I want to take off work to drive him there and back just in case (it's about 45 minutes away) and, of course, he think I'm over-reacting about that too, lol!

I saw someone mention concern about the experience of a vaccine at Walgreens.

6 of us that I know or am related to all had vaccines at a Walgreens in the past 3 days.

4 of us at the same one (all at different times) and the other 2 at 2 other Walgreens. First Covid vax for all 6 of us.

All of us had super quick and easy experiences. No lines, no waiting, nothing. Couldn't have been easier.

The only one with any side effects beyond a sore arm (though two of us just got them today) was the one person who had had Covid, which fits with what seems to be pretty consistently being found, and that being those who had Covid may have more of an issue with the first, and those who haven't tend to after the second (if they're going to have issues).

ETA: I'm both high risk and extremely prone to side effects and complications to pretty much everything and I am allergic to a lot. Like two plain old bug bites almost had me hospitalized a few weeks ago, and then I had a weird reaction to intramuscular antibiotic, we don't even do flu shots for me, etc. ...and so far I've been fine (just in case anyone who has a history of weird reactions to things might appreciate hearing from someone else who does)

I saw someone mention concern about the experience of a vaccine at Walgreens.

6 of us that I know or am related to all had vaccines at a Walgreens in the past 3 days.

4 of us at the same one (all at different times) and the other 2 at 2 other Walgreens. First Covid vax for all 6 of us.

All of us had super quick and easy experiences. No lines, no waiting, nothing. Couldn't have been easier.

The only one with any side effects beyond a sore arm (though two of us just got them today) was the one person who had had Covid, which fits with what seems to be pretty consistently being found, and that being those who had Covid may have more of an issue with the first, and those who haven't tend to after the second (if they're going to have issues).

ETA: I'm both high risk and extremely prone to side effects and complications to pretty much everything and I am allergic to a lot. Like two plain old bug bites almost had me hospitalized a few weeks ago, and then I had a weird reaction to intramuscular antibiotic, we don't even do flu shots for me, etc. ...and so far I've been fine (just in case anyone who has a history of weird reactions to things might appreciate hearing from someone else who does)

You sound like my spouse with respect to risk & reactions. Zero issues with Pfizer. I’ll try to summarize history if anyone finds this helpful:
- needs epi-pen ready to go for iodine despite no shellfish allergy
- asthmatic
- allergic to coconut, wheat, and dairy
- ultra-fast metabolism of anesthesia
- rarely sick but so prone to infections.
- Crohn’s-like inflammation issues
- low blood pressure

I think we all need to remember what the goal here is: it's not necessarily to prevent people from getting COVID. It's to prevent serious illness, hospitalization, death, and long term complications.

If any particular vaccine turns COVID into a mild cold, this is absolutely a HUGE victory and is a vaccine worth getting.

I am not sure that I get your point. I do agree, but that is not what is at stake.

In Europe, the vaccines of Pfizer and Moderna were (are) being presented with a 90 - 95% protection.
AstraZeneca would be at a mere 60%, no more, meaning that out of every 100 people vaccinated with AZ, "only 40" would end up in hospital.
That is low enough to make even the most vaccine-pro person scratch their head, do the math and say: I'll take 95% protection any time, so I'll better wait for Pfizer!

This is currently happening in Germany and France.

Germany is pushing hard for people to take the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine as many turn it down in hope of a Pfizer shot

Regulators have approved both the shot developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University and the shot developed by Pfizer and the German company BioNTech, but differing efficacy rates from clinical trials appear to have driven many to try to hold out for a Pfizer-BioNTech jab.

That shot has produced efficacy in trials as high as 95%, compared with 60% for the AstraZeneca jab in a review by European regulators.

Experts say that directly comparing the figures is misleading and not a good reason to refuse the AstraZeneca jab — but the message has failed to reach much of Germany's population.

Only 187,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine have been given so far in Germany, Reuters reported on Monday. The country was expecting to have delivered 1.5 million doses of the vaccine by the end of last week.

One vaccine site in Berlin that distributed only the AstraZeneca jab has seen fewer than 200 people a day arriving for 3,800 appointments, The Times of London reported on Monday.

BBM

For a vaccination campaign to be effective, speed is key.

I am very happy that I did my own research about AZ and I wish more people would do so since authorities are acting irresponsibly.

RSBMIn Europe, the vaccines of Pfizer and Moderna were (are) being presented with a 90 - 95% protection.
AstraZeneca would be at a mere 60%, no more, meaning that out of every 100 people vaccinated with AZ, "only 40" would end up in hospital.
That is low enough to make even the most vaccine-pro person scratch their head, do the math and say: I'll take 95% protection any time, so I'll better wait for Pfizer!

This is currently happening in Germany and France.

Germany is pushing hard for people to take the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine as many turn it down in hope of a Pfizer shot

Regulators have approved both the shot developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University and the shot developed by Pfizer and the German company BioNTech, but differing efficacy rates from clinical trials appear to have driven many to try to hold out for a Pfizer-BioNTech jab.

That shot has produced efficacy in trials as high as 95%, compared with 60% for the AstraZeneca jab in a review by European regulators.

Experts say that directly comparing the figures is misleading and not a good reason to refuse the AstraZeneca jab — but the message has failed to reach much of Germany's population.

Only 187,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine have been given so far in Germany, Reuters reported on Monday. The country was expecting to have delivered 1.5 million doses of the vaccine by the end of last week.

One vaccine site in Berlin that distributed only the AstraZeneca jab has seen fewer than 200 people a day arriving for 3,800 appointments, The Times of London reported on Monday.

BBM

For a vaccination campaign to be effective, speed is key.

I am very happy that I did my own research about AZ and I wish more people would do so since authorities are acting irresponsibly.

Oh dear, it is indeed unfortunate that folks are passing up AZ. It's perhaps mild, but the 60%/40% hospital is their incorrect assumption that needs better education perhaps as 100% are kept out of hospital. I'd be more than ok with that at the outset. Especially when the newer to market were tested against the new strains.

EfficacyCovidVaxChart.png

Oh dear, it is indeed unfortunate that folks are passing up AZ. It's perhaps mild, but the 60%/40% hospital is their incorrect assumption that needs better education perhaps as 100% are kept out of hospital. I'd be more than ok with that at the outset. Especially when the newer to market were tested against the new strains.

View attachment 286525

I don't mean to be negative, but every one of the vaccines has some risk, especially for those of us who are likely up for call- ins now, the 1B category with some health problem or problems.

I, personally, would not take either Johnson and Johnson or Astra- Zeneca vaccines. My body, my choice. I don't think I'd have enough coverage due to my new COVID- caused Reactive Lung Disorder ( a type of asthma).

Also, Astra- Zeneca has not submitted their product to the FDA for emergency approval in the USA. They took their vaccine to Europe on their own.
MAYBE there was some ill will between A-Z and President Trump. I paid attention to which vaccine companies the USA were working with and A-Z was the only one that's very familiar to me that passed the US by like we were Spam in a can and not people with a great need. Also, it could have been that at the time their vaccine was undergoing trials, the CDC said " This level of immunization in clinical trials is insufficient".

I do recall reading in a European newspaper that Astra- Zeneca had taken all their stockpiles of vaccines to European customers, not US clients and anyone can read a UK or other European newspaper and see this is true.
" You snooze, you lose". We snoozed, we lost out on that one company. If the 3 other companies cannot meet the demand of every US resident wanting a vaccine, then another company will step up. Everyone will get vaccinated.

ALL we are talking about, y'all, when we BOIL IT DOWN are CHOICES.
Not- Will we and our loved ones get a vaccine, but questions such as
- Where we want to go.
- Which vaccine we get and if it matters to us.
- What conditions we should have a reasonable expectation of being met in a COVID- 19 Pandemic as far as asepsis, distancing, and general conditions.
- Our vaccination quality and satisfaction post- vaccine.

It's totally normal that experiences and expectations vary from person to person and area of the country to other areas of the country, perhaps.

I live in a HUGE state which has GIGANTIC buildings to give vaccines in. Other states may not be as aggressive in making sure they are following all COVID-19 rules for the vaccinations or have large buildings for the population that are currently empty. SOME people are even able to stay in their car and get vaccines in Texas. ( Dallas area).

Some people are more comfortable with a mom and pop pharmacy or a chain pharmacy than a CDC-recommended set up COVID vaccine facility with Paramedics and nurses as the main staff.
Also, honestly, I am kind of sure that some people think about getting the vaccine all over the country and decide they just aren't ready for it yet.

Because the virus is mutating extremely fast and aggressively in at least 5 variants at present, I want the highest coverage I can get, because we are likely going to have to keep getting booster vaccines for the rest of our lives! Timing may be as critical for the boosters against new variants and mutations as the base injections we're getting now are.

Lots to think about, many personal choices, and NONE are perfect, and hopefully, none will foster viral transmission or other unhealthy conditions.

Do what's right for you. Only you have that answer. :) Remember, if you don't like what you observe at one facility, you can leave and owe no one anything. Make sure the staff knows you cancelled your appointment so you can make another one somewhere else. There's no shame in making a different choice that might fit your mobility or other needs better ( presence of Epi- Pens, for example).

View attachment 286525
Exactly!!

Made an appointment on Facebook, seemed quite easy. Went to county fairgrounds, they verified my address. No lines, no waiting, I came early. The cars go into the cow barn, where everyone is lined up, 12 cars at a time. Got a Pfizer jab. Waited for 15 minutes, no side effects.

Seemed amazingly well organized and coordinated here.

Made an appointment on Facebook, seemed quite easy. Went to county fairgrounds, they verified my address. No lines, no waiting, I came early. The cars go into the cow barn, where everyone is lined up, 12 cars at a time. Got a Pfizer jab. Waited for 15 minutes, no side effects.

Seemed amazingly well organized and coordinated here.

I got 3 email messages to go to Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas today.
Tarrant County was behind my own county. I got my first vaccine 2/24.

Texas is vaccinating a huge number of people every day. We are going to kick COVID's butt in the US. I just know we will!!!
( I'm still going to wear my disposable masks for a few months in case there's a rebound surge in cases with everything opened up though.

Mr Pirate got his second Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Aside from being tired and feeling a bit sore all over, he is doing well. We are both vaccinated now and look forward to things getting back to somewhat normal for us. In 15 days we will visit my parents, go out to eat and maybe even a little trip this summer. Most of my friends have been doing this kind of thing all along. Being in my early 50's I was not as worried for me, but Mr. Pirate is older than I am so I was very careful to protect him.

I had my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine early this afternoon. The entire process took about 30 minutes - arrival, check-in, injection, self-monitoring for 15 minutes. I barely felt the shot and have been moving my arm around frequently to ward off discomfort. I asked if DH could get his shot today, too, but they have to stick to the lottery protocol for now. Hopefully, he will be invited to get the vaccine shortly. I'll get my second dose on March 24 at noon.

I had my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine early this afternoon. The entire process took about 30 minutes - arrival, check-in, injection, self-monitoring for 15 minutes. I barely felt the shot and have been moving my arm around frequently to ward off discomfort. I asked if DH could get his shot today, too, but they have to stick to the lottery protocol for now. Hopefully, he will be invited to get the vaccine shortly. I'll get my second dose on March 24 at noon.
Great news! Mr Pirate got his at Meijer and had the same good experience. In and out within 30 mts and that included the wait time. I hope Mr BDE gets the call soon. I suspect he will. Things seem to be ramping up in MI. In our circle, everyone that we know that is eligible has either gotten their vaccine or has an appt coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member