Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

If you were offered the Pfizer vaccine in the next 30 days would you take it?

• Yes

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an appointment scheduled to get the vaccine on Saturday.

The hospital where I am employed has had several meetings where they have presented the research studies to us and I am convinced it is safe.

Over 70,000 participants in the trials and not one serious reaction among them. Included in the trials were people with autoimmune diseases, heart disease, cancer, and people over age 65.

We know the devastating effects COVID can have, so I am taking the vaccine.

At this moment the hospital where I am working today has cancelled elective surgeries and only has two open beds available. We’ve seen younger people survive COVID but sent home on oxygen. Patients return for months after they have had COVID with severe fatigue, chronic severe coughing and other issues. And these have often been people with no risk factors who have been perfectly healthy before COVID.
Awesome! Let us know how it goes. I work homehealth so I don’t know when we’ll get the offer.

I was feeling apprehensive about getting it because I have a lot of drug allergies (everything from asprin to several antibiotics) now after yesterdays news coming out about people with history of significant allergic reactions should wait until further research comes out, I am definitely waiting for a while.

I'm with you. I have Mast Cell Activation Syndrome and am in the "severe allergies and carries an epi pen" category. The bad thing about MCAS is, I don't know I'm allergic to something until ... well, until I know. Trial by fire, so to speak. Sometimes it's as simple as itching or minor face swelling, sometimes it's a trip to the ER. Sometimes it's an immediate reaction, sometimes it's days or weeks.

I also have type 2 diabetes (I'm also allergic to my insulin but I'm trying to make it work and live with it) so that along with the MCAS makes me an autoimmune nightmare.

I'm likely not eligible for first-round vaccines, anyway, but I'm going to wait. I try not to be paranoid or whatever about vaccines, but I'm super leery about a fast-tracked with long-term unknowns vaccine. I'm all for the science ... but I need to see a little more.

I'm with you. I have Mast Cell Activation Syndrome and am in the "severe allergies and carries an epi pen" category. The bad thing about MCAS is, I don't know I'm allergic to something until ... well, until I know. Trial by fire, so to speak. Sometimes it's as simple as itching or minor face swelling, sometimes it's a trip to the ER. Sometimes it's an immediate reaction, sometimes it's days or weeks.

I also have type 2 diabetes (I'm also allergic to my insulin but I'm trying to make it work and live with it) so that along with the MCAS makes me an autoimmune nightmare.

I'm likely not eligible for first-round vaccines, anyway, but I'm going to wait. I try not to be paranoid or whatever about vaccines, but I'm super leery about a fast-tracked with long-term unknowns vaccine. I'm all for the science ... but I need to see a little more.
I would wait too.

Interested to hear how the vaccine, regardless of brand, works with the BCG vaccine study....
Me too. I received an email stating. If we are offered covid vaccine don’t hesitate. It won’t interfere with the study. It’s been almost 8 weeks and my injection site is still scabbing over and will eventually scar.

here’s email

Hello,

Thank you for your participation in the BCG as Defense Against COVID-19 - BADAS study. If you have the opportunity to receive a COVID-specific vaccine in the coming weeks or months, please do so. Receiving a COVID vaccine will not affect the study, and the only changes being made on our end is an addition of fields in the weekly survey that ask whether you have recently received a COVID vaccine, and if so, which one.

Kind regards,

Zoe and the BCG as Defense Against COVID-19 Study Team

I have an appointment scheduled to get the vaccine on Saturday.

The hospital where I am employed has had several meetings where they have presented the research studies to us and I am convinced it is safe.

Over 70,000 participants in the trials and not one serious reaction among them. Included in the trials were people with autoimmune diseases, heart disease, cancer, and people over age 65.

We know the devastating effects COVID can have, so I am taking the vaccine.

At this moment the hospital where I am working today has cancelled elective surgeries and only has two open beds available. We’ve seen younger people survive COVID but sent home on oxygen. Patients return for months after they have had COVID with severe fatigue, chronic severe coughing and other issues. And these have often been people with no risk factors who have been perfectly healthy before COVID.

Hope your vaccination goes well. Your last paragraph--wow. This virus is so horrible.

I hope everyone getting the vaccine will post on this thread: Members' Covid-19 Post-Vaccination Questions & Answers *NO GENERAL DISCUSSION*

I voted no, but that was due to 30 day window. The poll results are interesting, considering the general level of Covid concern on this forum.

I just have a bad feeling that a much smaller percentage of people will take the vaccine. I don't know a single person that I socialize with that intends to take it. People that spend a lot of time around other people (at work, restaurants, bars, gyms, sports, etc.) don't seem to see a reason. They aren't "virus deniers" - it just all seems to fade into the background. I know people who have rarely left home since March and they seem resigned to waiting another year for the vaccine to be widely available and for it to lead to herd immunity. These are the people I am most concerned with - after spending almost a year in isolation, the idea of venturing out will be terrifying. I can see people putting off getting vaccinated just to delay having to face the world again. I really hope I'm wrong.

I voted no, but that was due to 30 day window. The poll results are interesting, considering the general level of Covid concern on this forum.

I just have a bad feeling that a much smaller percentage of people will take the vaccine. I don't know a single person that I socialize with that intends to take it. People that spend a lot of time around other people (at work, restaurants, bars, gyms, sports, etc.) don't seem to see a reason. They aren't "virus deniers" - it just all seems to fade into the background. I know people who have rarely left home since March and they seem resigned to waiting another year for the vaccine to be widely available and for it to lead to herd immunity. These are the people I am most concerned with - after spending almost a year in isolation, the idea of venturing out will be terrifying. I can see people putting off getting vaccinated just to delay having to face the world again. I really hope I'm wrong.
Just today my 80 yr old retired RN mom said she’s not getting a vaccine that’s so new. But the technology is old from what I understand. I’m getting it just to show her it’s ok. She tries to be safe to an extent but she wants to live life even if for shorter time. It’s hard to comprehend but I get it also.

Pfizer Covid vaccine: 2 Alaska health care workers suffer reactions to vaccine - CNN

Stories like this will knock people off the fence, into the "no" camp. How soon will we know if vaccine adoption has stalled? I assume that is when the vaccine is offered to more groups sooner than expected.

The allergic reactions with the Pfizer vaccine are making DH and me think we should wait until the Moderna one is available. He has never had a true anaphylactic reaction but he does develop severe rashes sometimes (most recently in response to iodine contrast agent for a CT scan). We are over age 75, so will come up for vaccination relatively soon, I hope.

Personally, I'm disappointed that the side effects seem to be purposely buried beneath positive headlines. Knowledge is power and the better the world population is informed, the best to nip any conspiracy or negativity in the bud.

For example, if four individuals from the Pfizer trial all developed Bells Palsey after taking the vaccine (and none were part of the placebo group), I disagree that the FDA should not link this effect by citing that Bells Palsy can occur at any time and can't be linked to the vaccine. I find this very disrespectful and don't appreciate the public being treated like we're stupid!

I definitely expect to take the vaccine and would rather be prepared with this information rather than wake up one day with Bells Palsy and no idea that 4 others had BP after receiving the Pfizer vaccine. I think the public needs to know that there's a small price to pay to combat this pandemic that has halted the world as we know it.

Same with anaphylaxis symptoms (and no history of allergies) after receiving the Pfizer vaccine.

Most recently, 2 caregivers in Alaska developed concerning reactions just minutes after receiving Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine this week, including one staff member who was to remain hospitalized until Thursday.

The first worker, a middle-aged woman who had no history of allergies, had an anaphylactic reaction that began 10 minutes after receiving the vaccine at Bartlett Regional Hospital in Juneau on Tuesday, a hospital official said. She experienced a rash over her face and torso, shortness of breath and an elevated heart rate.

[..]

Dr. Lindy Jones, the hospital’s emergency department medical director, said the worker was first given a shot of epinephrine, a standard treatment for severe allergic reactions. Her symptoms subsided but then re-emerged, and she was treated with steroids and an epinephrine drip.

2 Alaska Health Workers Got Emergency Treatment After Receiving Pfizer’s Vaccine

During the meeting on Thursday, FDA vaccine reviewer Dr. Susan Wollersheim noted the trial data showed a "numerical imbalance" in cases of Bell's palsy.

Wollersheim said there were four cases in the vaccine group and none in the placebo group. While the frequency of cases was not above that of the general population, the FDA recommended further surveillance if the vaccine is authorized for broader use.

CDC Will Monitor for Bell's Palsy Among Pfizer Vaccine Recipients, But Sees No Causal Relationship

Yah I was a bit upset to have missed it last week lol. I was afraid to get pushed to the end of the list. And With the now lesser amounts being shipped? i was a tiny bit concerned
I drove to another city to get mine because it was the first available opening. I am glad I did because the hospital where I work received fewer doses of vaccine than they expected.

One of the docs I work with had his appointment canceled due to lack of vaccine, he rescheduled, and then that appointment was canceled too.

I just made an appointment for my second shot (phizer) next year ;);)
I believe they’ve got moderna coming in next week for the next round of folks in the building.
Awesome! I’m pretty sure mine is moderna. They just called to say they are pushing time to 30 min later. The vial is still not thawed. Lol.
Did you have any side effects besides sore arm? Seems to be most common and understandable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elenabarlow