Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

If you were offered the Pfizer vaccine in the next 30 days would you take it?

• Yes

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those coworkers sound really clueless to me. I’ve had both shots and my life hasn’t changed at all — and it won’t until the CDC says it can.

I told my husband, since he had two shots, not to act like superman- keep wearing masks, social distance and wash his hands- we are not doing anything different- he was thinking of going to visit his kids in Virginia- I said no effing way dude.

I apologize for my post stating I received the vaccine
I wasn't aware that it was upsetting to others but now I understand it can be

I only qualified in my state because of my age
Not because I deserved it more than you

You certainly don't need to apologize for letting us know you had the vaccine. Some of us are just frustrated because we can't get it ---- As I said upthread, the vaccine roll out has been a haphazard mess IMO

Negative Post Rant...

I am SO tired of people proclaiming how awesome it is that they are vaccinated. Great.

No date in sight for vaccine for me. Meanwhile, I am still going to work every day. I guess that I am not "essential", but somehow I am still expected to go to work every day.

Just extremely negative about people who joyously proclaim their vaccine status, when so many of us have zero opportunity for a vaccine.

I am also gritting my teeth when they are "encouraging" us to get a vaccine and it is not available.....
trying to be patient but it is all I hear. It is like being a rat in a box.

Last edited:
Get Access

I posted this on the Michigan Coronavirus thread but I thought it was important enough to post this on the main thread: At least in Michigan it appears there is a "social vulnerability index" which means Detroit is getting more vaccine than the suburbs and I for one, don't think that is fair.

I am so frustrated at not being able to get the vaccine i could scream- my husband got his two shots and i cannot get one. I am over 75 years of age and still cannot get vaccinated. I am registered with my county Dept of Health and 4 different hospital Systems, where I have been a patient. They are vaccinating at Rite Aid down the block from me and I still cannot get vaccinated. I just don't get it. I am afraid of the vaccine, but I will get it, since I am more afraid of Covid.

I'm sorry that even though you are eligible, you are having so much trouble getting the vaccine. I do hope you will be able to be vaccinated soon.

What do you think is causing the delay? Is it not enough vaccine in your area? Are they vaccinating younger people now in your area, causing demand to spike?

In my area, I saw information posted on NextDoor and immediately made an appointment. I'm also over age 75 and our state had just opened eligibility to my age group. When they opened eligibility to 65+ not long after that, suddenly there were so many people trying to make appointments that it became quite difficult.

Get Access

I posted this on the Michigan Coronavirus thread but I thought it was important enough to post this on the main thread: At least in Michigan it appears there is a "social vulnerability index" which means Detroit is getting more vaccine than the suburbs and I for one, don't think that is fair.

It says you have to be a subscriber to read it.

You certainly don't need to apologize for letting us know you had the vaccine. Some of us are just frustrated because we can't get it ---- As I said upthread, the vaccine roll out has been a haphazard mess IMO

Yes that's a good word for it
Haphazard

My sister is 10 years older than me and she hasn't been able to get a slot even though she's been eligible longer than I have
We live in different states

It's absolutely not a fair or equal system

Even my county and state differ as to who is eligible and when, and how they distribute and administer available vaccine

It’s not for me, I’m in group 5 (Estimated July/August) Im helping family members that are 75+ or have auto immune diseases, COPD, etc.
Some have satellite internet making it next to impossible to navigate the various websites.

Oh sorry, I missed that. Wonderful that you are doing this for them. It sure can be challenging for many folks.

No apology needed IMO
We’re all in this together and learning daily, much of it from this thread and we bring collected knowledge and experience, as well as opinions here to share in hopes this horrible virus has an end point and we survive it all.
I for one am interested in how vaccine rollout all over the world is progressing and others thoughts on this new to us pandemic, all of it!
Yes, I’d love a vaccine.
Happy my 91 yr old mother just received her first one last week in Colorado, my daughter, a nurse in Kansas has had both at her hospital. Waiting on my turn hopefully next month, in the meantime the more we learn the better for all

Don't feel badly. I am happy for you. Same as my happiness is for my husband, who just recently got his 2nd jab. I am thankful that he is vaccinated, because Covid would have been a death warrant for him, hands down.

I have a lot to be thankful for, especially all of my great friends at WS who put up with my childish rants.

I’m trying to figure out why they have included type 2 diabetics but excluded type 1?

Does diabetes qualify for vaccine priority in Mass.? Depends on which type. | Boston.com

Too much information in this article for me to pick what to post - within the article though, are examples of how the guidelines vary according to what state or country you live in and that in some places, diabetes 1 and diabetes 2 are treated the same and in others they are not, in relation to vaccine prioritization
In other words, about as clear as mud

For people with type 1 diabetes, CDC Covid guidelines are puzzling - STAT
For people with type 1 diabetes, CDC Covid guidelines are puzzling - STAT

Last edited:
Don't feel badly. I am happy for you. Same as my happiness is for my husband, who just recently got his 2nd jab. I am thankful that he is vaccinated, because Covid would have been a death warrant for him, hands down.

I have a lot to be thankful for, especially all of my great friends at WS who put up with my childish rants.

I think it is good you felt you could be honest and express how you felt on here . It is hard sometimes to say things which might come across as negative ,but are still valid and very heartfelt.

I hope people will still come and celebrate their vaccinations,yet be sympathetic towards others who are facing a longer wait .

Yes, this vaccine rollout has been very frustrating. I live in Ohio and today was the first day that I could try to sign up for an appointment. No luck -I have signed up with 6 pharmacies, the county health board, and the two large hospital systems in this area. Just hours of waiting in online ques to be told there are no vaccine appointments.

Sadly, I have started hoping that the bad snowstorm will cause others to cancel their appointment and open up some more appointments. This is not like me.

Last edited:
Those coworkers sound really clueless to me. I’ve had both shots and my life hasn’t changed at all — and it won’t until the CDC says it can.
Here at my retirement community we are scheduled to get the vaccine this upcoming Saturday. FIVE days later they are holding an event here "the senior olympics" with wheelchair races, balloon volleyball, a pool tournament and other group activities.

Just doesn't make sense to me...I have read many news stories about folks getting Covid in between their two shots or even after the second one, heck even 5 days after our jab we won't be that protected.

I think a lot of people believe that once you get the vaccine, life goes back to normal. As for me, I will still continue on as I am right now, double mask, pretty isolated, home deliveries, no indoor dining (yes, that is happening here too).

Last edited:
MOD NOTE

It is understandable that there is happiness at receiving the vaccine AND frustration at not having it available if you are eager to get it. There is value in expressing both of those emotions, AND posts that do so have been moved to this thread:

Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it?

This is to help the threads stay on topic and discussion flowing without interruption. Please try to direct your posts to the appropriate thread.
Websleuths appreciates all members’ efforts during these trying times.

Faithfully,
CocoChanel

Last edited:
I’m in NC and eligible because...old. It’s a mess in my county. It’s obvious no one thought through the distribution part of it. They were setting up drive-thru clinics once a week. The plan was to drive up, get a number and return later. They started at 10am. I got there as early as 6am and couldn’t get near the place. It looked like some spent the night. I tried for 3 weeks then gave up.

I my first shot on Saturday at Walgreens. It took me about 3 hours of logging into their website every 15-20 minutes. They add appointments throughout the day. You can schedule both shots at the same time. The process was fairly easy and I’d recommend it to anyone who has a Walgreens nearby. The shot was painless but my arm was sore the day after, like after a tetanus shot. I believe you need to have an account which is easy to set up. You can also download the Walgreens app.

COVID-19 Vaccination | Walgreens Find Care

It was extremely frustrating. I also signed up with the hospital system but never heard a word back from any of them.

It’s not a magic bullet but I hope most people will get vaccinated. Good luck to everyone trying to get an appointment ❤️ Patience and perseverance.

Great article that answers a lot of questions.
My Parents Got Vaccinated For COVID-19. Is It Safe To Visit? : Shots - Health News : NPR

"Before the visit, double-check to make sure the person you are visiting has had two shots and that it has been two weeks since the second dose. In that case, it's OK to visit, agrees McKoy. "You should still wear your mask, make sure your hands are sanitized and you should still socially distance," she says."

"The vaccine doesn't switch our normal lives back on, Omer cautions. It's more like a dimmer switch. After two doses, "it's OK to socialize a little bit more, but it's not time for bingo night. It's not time for square dancing.""
snip

"Even if your loved one has been vaccinated, they could still become mildly infected. Remember, the clinical trials only looked at whether the vaccines prevent severe disease, not infection, so a vaccinated person could unknowingly pass the virus on to you and others. That's why it's so important for people who've been vaccinated to keep wearing their masks, avoid crowded indoor places and socially distance.

"Many people are seeing this as the door opening out of the locked room," says Schaffner. "If only we can get vaccinated, we will be free. It's not that easy.""
snip

"If your relative lives close by, or is reachable by car, a visit is more reasonable, Omer says. You can pack food, eat in the car, limit stops along the way to reduce your chances of infection.

"But if you are flying there that's a different risk," says Omer. Activities like getting to and from the airport and waiting in check-in lines put you at risk for infection.

"I just don't think it's safe quite yet," says Dr. Ravina Kullar, an epidemiologist and spokesperson for the Infectious Disease Society of America."

sbm

Vaccine efficacy is a hard thing to understand, IMO. I thought this article was helpful. BBM.

COVID-19 vaccines: What does 95% efficacy actually mean? | Live Science
COVID-19 vaccines: What does 95% efficacy actually mean?

You have likely heard that Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine efficacy is 95%, Moderna's is 94% and Johnson & Johnson's is 66%. But what do these numbers actually mean?

[snip]

"I think it's important for people to understand that this is an extremely effective vaccine," said Brianne Barker, a virologist at Drew University in New Jersey, referring to the Pfizer vaccine. "This is much more effective than you might think."

One common misunderstanding is that 95% efficacy means that in the Pfizer clinical trial, 5% of vaccinated people got COVID. But that's not true; the actual percentage of vaccinated people in the Pfizer (and Moderna) trials who got COVID-19 was about a hundred times less than that: 0.04%.

What the 95% actually means is that vaccinated people had a 95% lower risk of getting COVID-19 compared with the control group participants, who weren't vaccinated. In other words, vaccinated people in the Pfizer clinical trial were 20 times less likely than the control group to get COVID-19.

That makes the vaccine "one of the most effective vaccines that we have," Barker told Live Science.

[snip]

And none of the three vaccine trials looked at all for asymptomatic COVID-19. "All these efficacy numbers are protection from having symptoms, not protection from being infected," Barker said. (Some early studies hint that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines also reduce the number of viral particles in a person's body, called viral load, and the likelihood of testing positive at all, which would cut transmission. Still, because we don't yet know that for sure, people "can't throw away their mask" once they're vaccinated, Barker said.)

But all three trials also used a second, potentially more important, definition of "cases." What we care most about is protecting people from the worst outcomes of COVID-19: hospitalization and death. So Moderna, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson also measured how their vaccines performed against severe disease (which meant severely affected heart or respiratory rate, the need for supplemental oxygen, ICU admission, respiratory failure or death).

All three vaccines were 100% effective at preventing severe disease six weeks after the first dose (for Moderna) or seven weeks after the first dose (for Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson, the latter of which requires only one dose). Zero vaccinated people in any of the trials were hospitalized or died of COVID-19 after the vaccines had fully taken effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelpingHandz