Could this be how the world ends in 2012?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

I believe the world will end on December 21, 2012..

• Yes

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 158 51.3%
  • Not 100% Sure Either Way.

Votes: 39 12.7%
  • Not if the Super Soft Feathered Brown Australian Emu saves the day!

Votes: 31 10.1%
  • The foil hats will save us by reflecting the flares.

Votes: 31 10.1%
  • only if idiots try to bomb us out of existence to make it happen on that day

Votes: 21 6.8%
  • only if it's also Superman's day off.

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Not sure but kinda hoping it does.

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Only if the zombies get us

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Only if pigs fly

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • It's only going to be a cleansing of the gene pool

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • ...tap..tap..tap..is this mic on?..hello, is anybody else here?..tap..tap

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
The tsunami that is being discussed is one from the Canary Islands, which lay on the west side of Africa.

Read here:
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/TECH/science/08/29/tidal.wave/index.html

While there is no indication that it would happen anytime soon, it sure could happen...and volcanos don't always give warnings; landmasses sliding into the ocean don't always give warnings, either.

It's an interesting thing, this potential tsunami...I've known about the possibility for many years, and have done a bit of reading on it. Some people use it as a doomsday/2012 thing, but in all honestly, it could happen today...or in 1000 years.

The solar storm could really disrupt communications and all things electronic; and would have a huge impact on us as humans. Between the cars using electronics to household uses to major utility companies, there isn't much that wouldn't be affected if a super-solar-storm was directed at the planet.

There are some doomsday scenarios about that, which are actually plausible; transformers blowing (and transformers would take a long time to repair/replace, especially w/o electricity), food supplies disrupted (because no gas could be pumped - the pumps run on electricity), to no lights in the house for a while...yeah, it could get interesting fast.

But.

The planet would survive. People? Meh, dunno...but the planet would be just fine. As I live in a fairly moderate climate which is also earthquake country, I'm fairly well prepared to survive w/o stuff for a while.

It's always good to be prepared...but I've thrown out more preps than I care to think about. LOL.

Best-
Herding Cats

Maybe we'll get a fall out shelter for xmas this year!!!!!!!!!!

vote for our gerber baby here
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113382"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

If it's a celestial event that happens every 100 years or even every 1000 years the world has ended lots of times already and no one just noticed.

I still feel cheated that nothing whatsoever happened because of the well hyped 2K crisis. I never even got stuck in an elevator once.

OMG

Y2K !

I had just started a new job and because I was still considered to be on orientation, I got to have New Year's Eve off. I don't normally care about New Year's, but hey! This was a big one! So I'd made plans to go watch the celebration (or mass chaos and hysteria --- either way was fine by me).

Then I was told I had to work 4 hours that night... but no worries, I'd still have the rest of the night off.

They wanted me there 10 pm to 2 am.

:furious:

So I go in to work, and find that I don't have a patient assignment. My duty for those four hours was to sit and guard *The Box*.

I was led over to the corner of the station, and there sat this huge rubbermaid-type container, closed and locked. I was told that if everything went kablooey at midnight, it was my job to open *The Box* and dispense whatever it contained (no one seemed to know what was inside, btw).

I just stared at them. "You're kidding, right???"

No. They weren't. They were serious as a heart attack.

So for the next 4 hours, I sat there pissed off, guarding *The Box*.

At one point, the house supervisor came up to me (we'd never met), and asked what I was doing.

"Guarding *The Box*."

Supervisor: "What's inside?"

I looked at her with a totally straight face and said, "Flashlights and Spam."

She very slowly backed away, and never again dared to ask me what I was doing.

A couple of things to note. One of my best friends became a computer programmer way back in the 80's and his skills with the ancient programming codes got him easily employed in the years before 2000. The reason nothing happened on new years eve 1999 is because a lot of people put a lot of work into making sure nothing would happen.

According to my friend when programs were first written people assumed totally new programs would replace the old ones. However, they just kept building upon the old programs with newer codes. If somebody hadn't had an "Oh :censored:!!!! moment in time there could have been some big time problems. :twocents:

Second I have very bad news for you tinfoil hat afficionados.

Link

On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets:
An Empirical Study

Ali Rahimi1, Ben Recht 2, Jason Taylor 2, Noah Vawter 2
17 Feb 2005

1: Electrical Engineering and Computer Science department, MIT.
2: Media Laboratory, MIT.

ali2.jpg

...Results

For all helmets, we noticed a 30 db amplification at 2.6 Ghz and a 20 db amplification at 1.2 Ghz, regardless of the position of the antenna on the cranium. In addition, all helmets exhibited a marked 20 db attenuation at around 1.5 Ghz, with no significant attenuation beyond 10 db anywhere else.

Conclusion

The helmets amplify frequency bands that coincide with those allocated to the US government between 1.2 Ghz and 1.4 Ghz. According to the FCC, These bands are supposedly reserved for ''radio location'' (ie, GPS), and other communications with satellites (see, for example, [3]). The 2.6 Ghz band coincides with mobile phone technology. Though not affiliated by government, these bands are at the hands of multinational corporations.

It requires no stretch of the imagination to conclude that the current helmet craze is likely to have been propagated by the Government, possibly with the involvement of the FCC. We hope this report will encourage the paranoid community to develop improved helmet designs to avoid falling prey to these shortcomings....

The tinfoil hat will only amplify the things you are trying to protect yourself from!! :yow:

A couple of things to note. One of my best friends became a computer programmer way back in the 80's and his skills with the ancient programming codes got him easily employed in the years before 2000. The reason nothing happened on new years eve 1999 is because a lot of people put a lot of work into making sure nothing would happen.

According to my friend when programs were first written people assumed totally new programs would replace the old ones. However, they just kept building upon the old programs with newer codes. If somebody hadn't had an "Oh :censored:!!!! moment in time there could have been some big time problems. :twocents:

Second I have very bad news for you tinfoil hat afficionados.

Link

On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets:
An Empirical Study

Ali Rahimi1, Ben Recht 2, Jason Taylor 2, Noah Vawter 2
17 Feb 2005

1: Electrical Engineering and Computer Science department, MIT.
2: Media Laboratory, MIT.

ali2.jpg

...Results

For all helmets, we noticed a 30 db amplification at 2.6 Ghz and a 20 db amplification at 1.2 Ghz, regardless of the position of the antenna on the cranium. In addition, all helmets exhibited a marked 20 db attenuation at around 1.5 Ghz, with no significant attenuation beyond 10 db anywhere else.

Conclusion

The helmets amplify frequency bands that coincide with those allocated to the US government between 1.2 Ghz and 1.4 Ghz. According to the FCC, These bands are supposedly reserved for ''radio location'' (ie, GPS), and other communications with satellites (see, for example, [3]). The 2.6 Ghz band coincides with mobile phone technology. Though not affiliated by government, these bands are at the hands of multinational corporations.

It requires no stretch of the imagination to conclude that the current helmet craze is likely to have been propagated by the Government, possibly with the involvement of the FCC. We hope this report will encourage the paranoid community to develop improved helmet designs to avoid falling prey to these shortcomings....

The tinfoil hat will only amplify the things you are trying to protect yourself from!! :yow:

Cr@p! Anyone in need of some slightly used tinfoil??

The tinfoil hat will only amplify the things you are trying to protect yourself from!!

Do you think it is possible they could help with male hair pattern baldness during solar flares?

So does it mean that if I put enough tinfoil on my head I can listen in on people's phonecalls?

So does it mean that if I put enough tinfoil on my head I can listen in on people's phonecalls?

Yes, exactly! Go to the store and buy six long rolls of tinfoil and wrap them tightly around your noggin. Then walk around the neighborhood and listen to peoples calls.

If you can't hear their calls then you need to buy more rolls and wrap them much tighter around your head.

Your innovation will leave your neighbors astounded and talking about you! :crazy:

I do think we may be in for some changes, and change is constantly occuring on our planet. I truly think the Mayans ran out of room on their calendar, or thought they had charted enough, and decided to end it with 2012 and this great change in the astronomy. I'm still happy I live in the middle of our continent mind you. Away from the shores, away from the volcanos and fault lines ( sort of). Im hoping to ride it out, or escape to Colorado where I hear we have a super secret goverment bio facility. In all seriousness, I dont think if it was going to be a major world spread catastrophe, every person in the know could manage to keep it a secret for too long.

BBM

I've got bad news for you;

Link

Yellowstone National Park sits atop a subterranean chamber of molten rock and gasses so vast that the region, known for its geysers and grizzlies, is arguably one of the largest active volcanoes in the world....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOn3wkehluk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmqhTxKdOBA&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iuu8t5az2I&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD_ODGoOPRM&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVQt_G4RxXQ&feature=related[/ame]

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

In a report filed in November 2008, The U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency warned that a serious earthquake in the New Madrid Seismic Zone could result in "the highest economic losses due to a natural disaster in the United States," further predicting "widespread and catastrophic" damage across Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri and particularly Tennessee, where a 7.7 magnitude quake or greater would cause damage to tens of thousands of structures affecting water distribution, transportation systems, and other vital infrastructure.<sup id="cite_ref-20" class="reference">[21]</sup>

Work started today on the Hernando-DeSoto bridge (major connector for TN, AR, MS across the Mississippi river). Guess what they're doing? Making it earthquake ready. It's gonna be shut down to one lane in both directions for over 2 months. Big inconvenience for a lot of travelers.

No, but this is the best I can do.

Attachments

• oh-no.gif
    oh-no.gif
    31.9 KB · Views: 226
To put an end to this ridiculous speculation thanks to Michio Kaku, solar cycles go through 11 year cycles. The last peak was 2001 - the next peak is 2010 to 2012. The current solar cycle began in January 2008 (link).

A solar max is when the most sunspots are recorded - NASA is predicting about 90 sunspots in theis solar cycle 24 (link)

To learn more on a FACT-based basis - go here: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SolarCycle/SC24/index.html

Off Topic but Steely's vids reminded me:

This book, is one I read and I highly recommend it if you're into reading non-fiction.

The author, takes you first through the geology behind the SF earthquake and he includes the unique geology of yellowstone national park in his opening chapters. Fascinating stuff, easy and enjoyable to read. JMHO.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/0060572000?tag=thebookreport01&link_code=as2&creativeASIN=0060572000&creative=374929&camp=211189"]Amazon.com: A Crack in the Edge of the World: America and the Great California Earthquake of 1906 (P.S.) (9780060572006): Simon Winchester: Books[/ame]

To put an end to this ridiculous speculation thanks to Michio Kaku, solar cycles go through 11 year cycles. The last peak was 2001 - the next peak is 2010 to 2012. The current solar cycle began in January 2008 (link).

A solar max is when the most sunspots are recorded - NASA is predicting about 90 sunspots in theis solar cycle 24 (link)

To learn more on a FACT-based basis - go here: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SolarCycle/SC24/index.html

You do know this thread is tongue in cheek, right? :waitasec:

Anybody want to invest in this company I'm thinking of starting? I'm going to manufacture tinfoil hats. They'll work against crop circles, too!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech
Back