• Date of Birth: June 10, 1934
  • Race: White/Caucasian
  • Height: 5' 11" (71 inches)
  • Weight: 180 lbs
  • Hair Color: Black
  • Eye Color: Brown
  • Nickname/Alias: Andy
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
  • Clothing & Personal Items: Blue slacks; light-blue knit shirt, open at the neck; & beige slip-on canvas loafers. Gold neck chain with a Greek symbol; gold ring with a large diamond; gold ring with a Greek design & three smaller diamonds.
  • Associated Vehicle/s: 1974 blue International Scout truck; commercial plate number A17435.
  • Identifiers: Unknown
Circumstances of Disappearance:
Economou, a former Hartford police officer, went missing from Rocky Hill, Connecticut on August 15, 1981. He has never been heard from again. The day he disappeared, he had gone to his former Rocky Hill home he had shared with his family for a meal. It was at this time authorities believe he left a note in the basement, stating that he was travelling to New York City with $100,000.00 cash to loan to a long-time friend, Charlie Germano. The note also stated "If I don't come back, you know I'm dead." A second note was also found which instructed his family to "take $10,000 and hire someone from Providence, Rhode island to kill Germano."

Economou then left and met up with his girlfriend at Valle's Steakhouse just off of I-91 in Hartford, Connecticut, and took her to the movies. The next morning, he returned to drop his girlfriend off to get her car. She last saw him heading south on I-91, driving a 1974 blue International Scout truck.

When Economou first went first missing, his family wasn't concerned as he would sometimes go away for a night or two without telling anyone. By the end of the week they became concerned, found his notes, and called police. Economou's whereabouts remain unknown and his vehicle has never been recovered.

Investigators:
  • Rocky Hill Police Department: (860) 258-7640
    Reference Case Number: 00670
NamUs Case Number: MP3286
NCIC Case Number: Not available

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
5709DMCT - Andrew Economou
Aug 27, 2000, page 12 - Hartford Courant at Newspapers.com - Newspapers.com

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. What happened to the friend Germano?

According to this ^ ^ ^ article, Germano refused repeated requests by state police for an interview, but was ultimately interviewed by the FBI whom he told he had an alibi. He denies any knowledge of why Economou was in New York. He later on said that he didn't know what happened to Economou and that "It was all innuendo and [expletive]." He added "Even if I did know, I wouldn't [say]." There's also a bit more information about what they were allegedly involved in which seemed pretty shady.

According to this ^ ^ ^ article, Germano refused repeated requests by state police for an interview, but was ultimately interviewed by the FBI whom he told he had an alibi. He denies any knowledge of why Economou was in New York. He later on said that he didn't know what happened to Economou and that "It was all innuendo and [expletive]." He added "Even if I did know, I wouldn't [say]." There's also a bit more information about what they were allegedly involved in which seemed pretty shady.
Thank you

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ANicholls16
Back