Silver Alert CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #34

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like there's been some very recent movement in CTs GAL "Standing Committee", like since JD disappeared. Read through the minutes of this subcommittee since May 2019 and you'll see some stepped up attention to issues of training, certification, and following the guidelines that appear as if they may have been laxly let go. Further, as of September 2019, a "removal by complaint" system was added and since that time one GAL has had 2 complaints filed (name not revealed, discussed in executive session).
There's also info on training, etc here.

It seems like a timely story for a good investigative journalist to look into the stepped up activity of this committee and just how their new complaint system is working. Could be coincidence of course but the Dulos case has certainly brought a lot of attention to the role of GALs in contentious divorce cases.

Standing Committee on Guardians Ad Litem and Attorneys for the Minor Child in Family Matters
https://jud.ct.gov/Committees/GAL_AMC/GAL_Notice_2019.pdf
Thanks for this information!

I'd read some of this recent information but sadly I'm not convinced that there is yet total transparency on the issue and frankly the pay scale for the GALs is IMO still only for the most well off which is quite unfortunate IMO.

The perception still remains that GALs are simply in place to soak well off participants in the Family Court system in CT and that the approval process to become a GAL is kept to a small circle of 'insiders' for lack of a better term so its yet another example of patronage in the CT Judicial System in the view of many. The training requirements for the GAL and educational standards and ongoing continuing education requirements, I believe are also ongoing issues that IMO need review and a lot of improvement.

Others not from CT see the GAL program implemented in CT and simply shake their head first in wonder and then in disgust as I'm not sure any research has been done to see how or even IF this program has served to help any of the children that it was supposedly put in place to help protect. I'm surprised that UCONN or YALE or Quinnipiac haven't taken on some study of the GAL program in CT to evaluate its effectiveness. I just keep thinking about JFd and GF together paying $300,000/yr for GAL Meehan and simply scratch my head in wonder as to how many people can actually afford this and wouldn't this money be better spent on creating a financial legacy for the involved children as this amout could go a long way towards paying for college and education rather than ending up in the pockets of people of the ilk of GAL Meehan etc.?

I do also very much wonder whether the case you reference in the 'removal by complaint system' might relate to our esteemed GAL in this case, "GAL Michael Maserati Meehan"? Wouldn't that be a kicker!?!?!?

MOO

It seems like there's been some very recent movement in CTs GAL "Standing Committee", like since JD disappeared. Read through the minutes of this subcommittee since May 2019 and you'll see some stepped up attention to issues of training, certification, and following the guidelines that appear as if they may have been laxly let go. Further, as of September 2019, a "removal by complaint" system was added and since that time one GAL has had 2 complaints filed (name not revealed, discussed in executive session).
There's also info on training, etc here.

It seems like a timely story for a good investigative journalist to look into the stepped up activity of this committee and just how their new complaint system is working. Could be coincidence of course but the Dulos case has certainly brought a lot of attention to the role of GALs in contentious divorce cases.

Standing Committee on Guardians Ad Litem and Attorneys for the Minor Child in Family Matters
https://jud.ct.gov/Committees/GAL_AMC/GAL_Notice_2019.pdf

I'd read some of this recent information but sadly I'm not convinced that there is yet total transparency on the issue and frankly the pay scale for the GALs is IMO still only for the most well off which is quite unfortunate IMO.

The perception still remains that GALs are simply in place to soak well off participants in the Family Court system in CT and that the approval process to become a GAL is kept to a small circle of 'insiders' for lack of a better term so its yet another example of patronage in the CT Judicial System in the view of many. The training requirements for the GAL and educational standards and ongoing continuing education requirements, I believe are also ongoing issues that IMO need review and a lot of improvement.

Others not from CT see the GAL program implemented in CT and simply shake their head first in wonder and then in disgust as I'm not sure any research has been done to see how or even IF this program has served to help any of the children that it was supposedly put in place to help protect. I'm surprised that UCONN or YALE or Quinnipiac haven't taken on some study of the GAL program in CT to evaluate its effectiveness. I just keep thinking about JFd and GF together paying $300,000/yr for GAL Meehan and simply scratch my head in wonder as to how many people can actually afford this and wouldn't this money be better spent on creating a financial legacy for the involved children as this about could go a long way towards paying for college and education rather than ending up in the pockets of people of the ilk of GAL Meehan etc.?

I do also very much wonder whether the case you reference in the 'removal by complaint system' might relate to our esteemed GAL in this case, "GAL Michael Maserati Meehan"? Wouldn't that be a kicker!?!?!?

MOO

Well, there you go. Another Reason to Lock Up Fd.

I wonder Why GAL Meehan has Not filed a motion in this regards.

Perhaps this will be addressed with his recent Court Request?

IMO.

I think the challenge facing some GALs when they deal with an abusive spouse is that they know that if they push too hard, the abusive spouse will come against THEM (the GAL), to the detriment of the children. I don't know the case here, as I haven't been able to see all of the documents, many of which are sealed. But I have seen enough to know that it's obvious FD is volatile, and any GAL who knows their job would be very wary of him, while trying to protect the children.

(Of course, allowing the volatile spouse to view personal psychological records illegally is NOT something they should be doing NO MATTER WHAT. I don't know all the details, but that part is very disturbing.)

Perhaps I'm giving the GAL here too much credit in the overall picture, which seems to be protecting the children at this point - I don't know. I just hope he errs on the side of caution for the children - not just for their emotional wellbeing, but for their physical safety.

The fact that there is no visitation currently shows that SOMEONE is looking out for them. Let's hope it continues that way. If anything happened to one of those children, it would be on whomever made a change in that regard.

Jennifer Dulos divorce shows controversial role of court-appointed child guardians

Just weeks after Justine Rakich-Kelly recommended to a Hartford court that her two underage clients should remain in their mother’s custody and their father move out of the family home, her life and view of the judicial system changed forever.
Hours before Michael Kendall’s deadline to leave the East Hartford home, he shot his two daughters and estranged wife and then set the house ablaze in an attempt to cover up the murders in December 2003.

Kendall is now serving a life sentence, and the case still haunts Rakich-Kelly, who was the court-appointed guardian ad litem for the two girls.

Jennifer Dulos divorce shows controversial role of court-appointed child guardians

Just weeks after Justine Rakich-Kelly recommended to a Hartford court that her two underage clients should remain in their mother’s custody and their father move out of the family home, her life and view of the judicial system changed forever.
Hours before Michael Kendall’s deadline to leave the East Hartford home, he shot his two daughters and estranged wife and then set the house ablaze in an attempt to cover up the murders in December 2003.

Kendall is now serving a life sentence, and the case still haunts Rakich-Kelly, who was the court-appointed guardian ad litem for the two girls.

"The role of GALs gained widespread attention in November 1992 when a father shot and killed his 6-year-old daughter during a visitation session at the office of the Child Protection Council of Northeastern Connecticut."

This needs to be sent to everyone in the case. The judge. The GAL. The lawyers. ALL OF THEM need to be reminded that they need to protect the CHILDREN, no matter who hired them.

They are responsible for ensuring the children's safety. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

Last edited:

Rakich-Kelly is a member of the current Standing Committee on Guardians Ad Litem that I gave the link to in my prior post. This is the group that certifies and gives the trainings for the GALs in the State of CT.
I'm sure there will be various reactions and interpretations to this, I am just posting this as information and because it illustrates the "small world" of the GAL system in CT.

Others not from CT see the GAL program implemented in CT and simply shake their head first in wonder and then in disgust as I'm not sure any research has been done to see how or even IF this program has served to help any of the children that it was supposedly put in place to help protect. I'm surprised that UCONN or YALE or Quinnipiac haven't taken on some study of the GAL program in CT to evaluate its effectiveness. I just keep thinking about JFd and GF together paying $300,000/yr for GAL Meehan and simply scratch my head in wonder as to how many people can actually afford this and wouldn't this money be better spent on creating a financial legacy for the involved children as this about could go a long way towards paying for college and education rather than ending up in the pockets of people of the ilk of GAL Meehan etc.?

MOO
I need to correct the insinuation in my post- the minutes read that there were 2 complaints for GAL removal filed through this new system, but they are not both necessarily against the same individual. Further, the minutes also read that in executive committee (private, not recorded in minutes) the committee voted to dismiss the complaint- note, not dismiss the GAL, but dismiss the complaint. (minutes read as complaint singular, but say there were 2 complaints registered since the system began earlier this year).
Because of the executive committee, the public isn't privy to the complaint, the individual, or why the committee chose to dismiss the complaint.

It could be MM as we do know that both FD and JD filed requests to replace him. Certainly the manner in which FD and NP came to possess the confidential and incomplete psych report, seems highly out of order.

Of course, I'm sure there are other complaints against other GALs as well, many people seem unhappy with the limited choices and as you point out most of all the large sums of money required to flow their way.

I need to correct the insinuation in my post- the minutes read that there were 2 complaints for GAL removal filed through this new system, but they are not both necessarily against the same individual. Further, the minutes also read that in executive committee (private, not recorded in minutes) the committee voted to dismiss the complaint- note, not dismiss the GAL, but dismiss the complaint. (minutes read as complaint singular, but say there were 2 complaints registered since the system began earlier this year).
Because of the executive committee, the public isn't privy to the complaint, the individual, or why the committee chose to dismiss the complaint.

It could be MM as we do know that both FD and JD filed requests to replace him. Certainly the manner in which FD and NP came to possess the confidential and incomplete psych report, seems highly out of order.

Of course, I'm sure there are other complaints against other GALs as well, many people seem unhappy with the limited choices and as you point out most of all the large sums of money required to flow their way.
Thanks for the update. But, even with the slight change to the information, my concern remains transparency in the CT GAL system. So much in CT Judiciary happens behind closed doors and the public sees and hears little. The Press coverage of the situation isn't much either unfortunately.

I can see having closed door meetings on confidential matters relating to a specific case and a GAL. BUT, if the GAL has been brought up for review (no matter what the issue or outcome) there should be a publicly available and searchable list for parents and attys to look at so that they can get a better idea about who their GAL might be and what their history is with the Board IMO.

Its a tough situation as there aren't many GALs to begin with and so with a limited pool it seems like the quality should be higher and regular culling and review should be aggressively done as well. It might also be useful to see 'client reviews' of GALs available for other parents to review as well as this might level the playing field a bit. But given the power of the GALS my suspicion is that few parents would provide honest reviews. IDK, its a tough situation but more needs to be done IMO on the reform front for GALs and Ditto IMO for Judges. I will never forget the quote of a very annoyed Judge Heller taunting Fd (who was himself out of order IMO) with the statement that she had just been reappointed and she wasn't going anywhere. To me, this said a lot about Judge Heller but it sadly might mean that judicial appointment periods are far too long in CT that a sitting Judge would think its appropriate to sink to the level of making such a statement. Sadly, seems to be par for the course in CT Courts. Wish we had some good news regarding the Courts.....

MOO

how was Meehan allowed to work as a GAL if he wasn't on the active list between 2015-2019?

d. Attorney Michael Meehan
Attorney Meehan was removed from the active list because he did not respond to an email sent to him in 2015. Attorney Meehan emailed a request to be reinstated to the active list on May 7, 2019. Attorney Meehan meets all the requirements of Practice Book Section 2562.
After a brief discussion by the participating Committee members, Liza Andrews moved, and Susan Hamilton seconded, that Attorney Meehan be reinstated to the active list. The Committee approved his reinstatement by a 9-0 vote.
https://jud.ct.gov/Committees/GAL_AMC/GAL_Minutes_050719.pdf

@Laughing. Haha! I thought that MT via her Patagonia Styles company might somehow engineer a sheepskin cover for fellow ankle bracelet wearers! This would turn the infamous ankle bracelet into something that looks like the top of an UGG.

Perhaps MT made a special version of such a bracelet cover for Fd (we heard in court via Atty. P. that Fd ankles are 'particularly subject to chafing' which sounded painful for the petite prince!) for Christmas and we might see him sporting it at the upcoming Court hearings?

Perhaps MT is going to make them for herself in assorted colors and we will see her sporting the newest fashion craze in circles where folks wear monitoring bracelets!

Can't you see the wonderful ads that could be done for this product!

Are you tired of your plain ugly black monitoring bracelet and wish you could fit in with your fashionable friends?

Here is a leather coated/sheepskin coated cover for your ankle bracelet! Exotic leathers and skins are totally possible by special request: Just send your ankle bracelet model info to @Patagonia styles via Insta and will will send you a custom quote within 24 hrs! We believe in always being in fashion!

MOO

@afitzy , I was thinking (no surprise) more along the lines of this:

41W1zD2tSzL.jpg

Again, I know what I did, and didn't, do; there may, or may not, be a disassembled Muppet in my sewing room....

JMHO YMMV LRR perhaps shampoo = $$$$ here, we know that $$$$ has to eventually run out...

THIS needs to go to:
attorney.general@ct.gov
AG_Logo.png

Attorney General's Office Address:
165 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106

2020 is HERE! May it bring happiness and good health to all here and Justice for Jennifer!

In responding to @sds71 post about Atty Midler getting paid all I have to say is "good luck"!

BUT, what I find fascinating about the ongoing behaviour of the attorneys in this tragic case is how they all consistently do such a wonderful job of looking out for themselves YET rarely do much unless prompted to look out for the interests of 5 Dulos children IMO or Jennifer Dulos. Its a consistent theme we have seen and here IMO we are seeing it from Atty Midler. Jennifer Dulos no doubt has given millions to Atty Midler in fees for his unsuccessful services and YET he cannot be bothered to safeguard her financial interests in her absence on behalf of her children?????

Yet, Atty Midler is clearly interested in getting paid? Yep, can't fault him for that but some creative lawyering is needed to safeguard the financial interests of Jennifer Dulos and the best he can come up with is a throwaway line in a motion where he is asking to get paid? My guess is is might have done it only to protect himself from subsequent suit for not acting in the best interests of his missing client! I hate thinking like this but its incredible that a person can go missing and their assets can be possibly ransacked and its all ok?

Why is Fd not subject to compliance with Judge Heller's prior orders regarding marital assets? Why did Judge Heller simply not freeze all the marital assets when Jennifer Dulos went missing? Judge Heller knows who/what Fd is all about and what would no doubt happen to the assets yet SHE DOES NOTHING and doesn't even enforce her prior orders. WHY?

Atty Midler brings up a point that IMO is critically important, namely the allegation that Fd, "...could be trying to "dissipate" martial assets against court orders". Does Atty Midler DO ANYTHING in Family Court to perhaps ask the Court to investigate the matter? NO, he doesn't. Does Atty Midler make any suggestion to the Court that perhaps ALL OF Fd and FORE ASSETS SHOULD BE IMMEDIATELY FROZEN PENDING clarification of status of marital assets or any funds held in the name of the 5 Dulos children. NO, he doesn't.

I realize Atty Midlers legal standing in Family Court is an issue as his client is not able to speak for herself. BUT, I do very much wonder about Atty Midler as he obviously felt strongly about the issue of Fd undertaking most likely illegal activities to "dissipate" martial assets AGAINST COURT ORDERS enough to include the language in his motion seeking to get paid.

Can Atty Midler as an officer of the court and concerned professional who is no doubt privy to extensive information about how much Jennifer Dulos cared about her 5 children, file a motion as an Officer of the Court on behalf of the 5 Dulos children to safeguard the marital assets from the activities of Fd and no doubt also the Greek Grifters?

SHOUTOUT TO JUDGE HELLER or Senior Judges in charge of Family Court in CT! Where is Connecticut State Attorney General William Morten Tong?

I know the legal issues surrounding the situation in Family Court are a bit murky due to JFd disappearance but Judge Heller by all accounts has it seems exited stage left and/or been hiding under her desk as it seems Fd has been unsupervised by the Court as it relates to marital assets. Yet again, it seems Fd is skirting a situation where supervision by the lax Family Court and a non involved Judge Heller seems to be doing nothing to even impose compliance with her prior rulings. Given that the Family Court case hasn't been dismissed yet I would think that Judge Heller might be interested in at least making sure her prior orders have been complied with by Fd, but it appears this might not be the case.

Not much about Judge Heller or Family Court would surprise me at this point. BUT, I have to say that given the circumstances of this case (Plaintiff vanishes off the face of the earth leaving 5 children behind) and the high visibility of this case that Judge Heller or someone else in the CT Judiciary might have stayed on top of the orders in place to safeguard the marital assets and PROTECT THE INTERESTS OF MISSING JENNIFER DULOS.

Unbelievable that the possibly exists that Fd could financially ransack marital assets with ZERO consequences all because Judge Heller chooses to do nothing to protect the interests of a vanished Plaintiff in one of her most contentious cases.

Does Judge Heller at all care or see a role of ANY KIND here to look after the interests of a Plaintiff in her court? Or, if she sees no obligation to look out for the interests of a Plaintiff in her Court then how about making sure that until the case status is resolved that ORDERS IN HER COURT REGARDING MARITAL ASSETS ARE AT LEAST COMPLIED WITH?

I hesitate to use the word negligence here but it certainly seems like Judge Heller simply melted away in terms of oversight of the Dulos v Dulos case and not one of her supervisors thought to question whether lack of oversight of Fd might have unintended consequences.

Its all quite mind blowing.

CT doesn't so far as I know have Victims Rights Advocates as part of the process of going missing or being involved with a violent crime and being unable to advocate on your own behalf.

WHO HERE IN FAMILY COURT IS ADVOCATING FOR MISSING JENNIFER DULOS when she cannot do it herself?

I guess if Judge Heller isn't doing anything in Family Court then I would have to ask that the States Atty General or perhaps State Atty Colangelo step in to make sure that the financial interests of Jennifer Dulos are safeguarded in Family Court and that Fd cannot simply take everything that is not nailed down and continues to comply with Judge Hellers financial orders.

Perhaps a blanket asset freeze of Fd and FORE assets might be instituted by States Atty Colangelo as well such that at least assets can be protected until the status of Jennifer Dulos is legally defined.

Its shocking that missing people who cannot advocate for themselves are not protected by the State.

If what Atty Midler alleges about Fd dissipating "martial assets" is true (at a minimum the State should investigate the situation IMO) then this is absolutely SHAMEFUL behaviour on the part of the State of CT.

Simply no more words on this topic as its mind blowing to me that this would even be an issue. No wonder Pattisville is seeking dissolution of the divorce as then these assets (unless otherwise direct via a will or trust I guess) would be in the hands of Fd and so available to pay Pattisville legal bills.

HARTFORD WE HAVE A PROBLEM AND NEED HELP IN STAMFORD COURT NOW PLEASE.

MOO

A year ago, I would have actually had the time. :(
I was thinking the exact same thing. This is absolutely a story that I would like to see someone pursue. Cannot understand why it isn’t happening. There has to be some journalist living locally who is interested in getting to the bottom of this non-functional system of justice.

how was Meehan allowed to work as a GAL if he wasn't on the active list between 2015-2019?

d. Attorney Michael Meehan
Attorney Meehan was removed from the active list because he did not respond to an email sent to him in 2015. Attorney Meehan emailed a request to be reinstated to the active list on May 7, 2019. Attorney Meehan meets all the requirements of Practice Book Section 2562.
After a brief discussion by the participating Committee members, Liza Andrews moved, and Susan Hamilton seconded, that Attorney Meehan be reinstated to the active list. The Committee approved his reinstatement by a 9-0 vote.
https://jud.ct.gov/Committees/GAL_AMC/GAL_Minutes_050719.pdf
What the heck

The article also says:
"Although guardians ad litem make recommendations based on the child’s best interests, they are not in a position to advise anyone involved in the case, Rakich-Kelly said. The GAL cannot file motions — unless it’s to address an emergency or to delay or schedule a hearing."

Since Meehan has raised the issue of his unpaid GAL fees, this may be an opportune time for Att'y Dranginis to file a motion for contempt on behalf of GF for FD's failure to pay his court-ordered share of the GAL's fees. Call in the judicial marshals! MOO

@Daisyeve , I do hope an investigation is opened on KD's death. Astonishing that LE only followed up on this THREE MONTHS after the violent death of a senior citizen. There is no way she was expected to be "ok" after being run over by a car! I know an athlete here in CT who, nearly 10 years ago, while out riding her bike, was run over by a box truck. She was healthy and in her 30s, and she wound up in a coma with massive internal organ damage. She gives motivational talks today, but to this day, and probably for the rest of her life, is constantly in and out of the hospital for ongoing surgeries.
You wouldn't know this by looking at her: https://www.colleenkellyalexander.com
My point is to compare the impact of this level of trauma on a young, healthy to the supposed reaction to the same trauma inflicted on an old, reportedly ill person. It doesn't make any sense.

MOO You are so right. Probably fd’s resources are already gone to atty fees and sister Rena has been here to help with the plan to lie and scam to get more money. She probably helped fill up his big sack with the canceled checks, invoices and other fake documents to throw at the judge at the last minute in the civil trial. And now they need to get those children because they think money will be tied to them. I think FD has targeted JD and her family since the “chance meeting” years ago. He and Rena have been in this together since the start. I wonder if she intends to apologize to gf for her brother killing Jennifer and to tell the children how sorry she is that they are stealing all the resources and money that belong to them. This new custody scheme is shockingly horrible and more cruel abuse of Jennifer and the children. I hope JD’s divorce atty gets everything he asked for in his motion and fd will be forced to reveal his sources for money to pay the evergrowing pattisville team. I picture Pattisville as a pack of rats devouring a feast left on a dining table. They are each determined to get the last morsel. So sad that fd had to murder Jennifer and not one of these pattisville ratttys have expressed a word of sorrow or condolence to gf or the children because all they see are dollar signs. MOO Thank you to everyone posting the court motions and explaining and doing such excellent research and sharing.
I also wanted to say that I hope that whatever court gets the custody issue will look back at how fd treated his mother and add that to his lengthy file. MOO
How can a citizen of Ct not be shocked and sickened about how Jennifer’s case is being handled ?

It is actually very easy to make a 401k withdrawal. I did it myself online two years ago, and the funds arrived very quickly. If you don't pay it back, the fund notifies the IRS, who in turn send you a notification of taxes due. (I know this because I screwed up with this myself... the fund withholds a percentage, which I thought cleared me on taxes, but because the withdrawn amount wasn't figured into our annual return, we owed more money. Lesson learned!)
I’ve wondered how-- or whether—FD got his bail money out of his 401k. Every 401k plan has to have an administrator in charge, and distributions before the age of 59-l/2 (whether penalty-free or not) aren’t gotten without a complicated rigmarole of procedure, governed by a body of federal law. It’s not like he just fills out a withdrawal slip (like in a bank). See this link:

401k Guide to General Distribution Rules - 401khelpcenter.com

Nothing listed there about bail to get yourself out of jail. So how could FD go through the withdrawal procedure from his jail cell? And was the 401k from the Fore Group or from FD’s former employer? I wonder whether the distribution will show up on his 2019 tax return—and whether Weinstein will have access to it?

It is actually very easy to make a 401k withdrawal. I did it myself online two years ago, and the funds arrived very quickly. If you don't pay it back, the fund notifies the IRS, who in turn send you a notification of taxes due. (I know this because I screwed up with this myself... the fund withholds a percentage, which I thought cleared me on taxes, but because the withdrawn amount wasn't figured into our annual return, we owed more money. Lesson learned!)

But how could FD go online to make the withdrawal from jail? Are they allowed Internet access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member