Still Missing CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #56

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
An attorney representing Michelle Troconis in the death and disappearance of Jennifer Dulos argued on Thursday that police investigators violated his client’s Fourth Amendment rights when they seized cellphone data using an “outrageously broad” search warrant.

In defense of his motion to suppress major chunks of cellphone tower datagathered by police, Schoenhorn called telecommunications consultant Baw Chng to the stand Thursday to testify on the types of information gathered from what police call “cellphone tower data dumps.”

“The witness today, Mr. Chng, made clear that the amount of data that can be obtained from this tower dump is very specific and can be location-specific,” Schoenhorn said, arguing that police needed a much more “narrowly tailored” warrant to get this sort of information.

Assistant State’s Attorney Sean McGuinness, however, argued that Schoenhorn “utterly failed to establish the standing” to ask the court to suppress such evidence. He contended that the defense didn’t put any evidence on the record during Thursday’s hearing of what data of Troconis’s was allegedly obtained by police.

What difference does it really make, since they discard what isn’t relevant, and they have a warrant for her phone data? There must be something relevant, that isn’t directly related to her “official” cell phone somewhere in that dump.

An attorney representing Michelle Troconis in the death and disappearance of Jennifer Dulos argued on Thursday that police investigators violated his client’s Fourth Amendment rights when they seized cellphone data using an “outrageously broad” search warrant.

In defense of his motion to suppress major chunks of cellphone tower datagathered by police, Schoenhorn called telecommunications consultant Baw Chng to the stand Thursday to testify on the types of information gathered from what police call “cellphone tower data dumps.”

“The witness today, Mr. Chng, made clear that the amount of data that can be obtained from this tower dump is very specific and can be location-specific,” Schoenhorn said, arguing that police needed a much more “narrowly tailored” warrant to get this sort of information.

Assistant State’s Attorney Sean McGuinness, however, argued that Schoenhorn “utterly failed to establish the standing” to ask the court to suppress such evidence. He contended that the defense didn’t put any evidence on the record during Thursday’s hearing of what data of Troconis’s was allegedly obtained by police.

From the same article

“Troconis and Schoenhorn are next expected to appear in court on Sept. 7 and 8 to finish arguing the motion for a change of venue for the eventual trial, as well as a hearing on the execution of a search warrant of Fotis Dulos’s home at 4 Jefferson Crossing in Farmington, where Troconis was living at the time.”

What difference does it really make, since they discard what isn’t relevant, and they have a warrant for her phone data? There must be something relevant, that isn’t directly related to her “official” cell phone somewhere in that dump.
I think from reading the article that he was trying to argue that since they grabbed all the calls of all users from those towers that the warrant was overly broad and violated the rights of others. But not totally sure. He’s just grasping for straws imo and is just a blowhard
All JMO

Good question : Connecticut is a small state - Stamford and Hartford are two separate media markets but with the way everything is on line now there is so much overlap that I think it blends together. How many people get the local paper and how many people watch the 6 oclock news anymore? In my world not many but maybe the older demographic. I don't know how you would measure to truly indicate with confidence where the coverage has been more saturated.
For instance - I subscribe to Hearst and that pretty well gets me into most media in CT online and I am in another state.
Any national media died down a long time ago but that is accessible everywhere.
I would also argue that it has been four years. Lots of people movement physically over the those four years during covid.
So my opinion - coverage nets out equal between the two.

If I were the judge I would not change the venue. But that's obvi just me. JMO

Thanks for your response and I agree. The primary interest of media markets was always Fd and after he checked out and the prosecution was left with only MT and KW by default, nobody has the same interest in their fate. If anything, it's been MT's obnoxious attorney who has kept her in the limelight! In fact, I think his Motions have probably been responsible for more negative media than the charges against his client. JMO

I think from reading the article that he was trying to argue that since they grabbed all the calls of all users from those towers that the warrant was overly broad and violated the rights of others. But not totally sure. He’s just grasping for straws imo and is just a blowhard
All JMO
I don’t know why he is pretending he is protecting the rights of people that he is not representing; there must be something there that he doesn’t want to see presented as evidence.

08/17/2023

This notification is brought to you by the Connecticut Statewide Automated Victim Information and Notification (SAVIN) Program.

This email is to inform you that MICHELLE TROCONIS, with docket number FST CR190148553T, has an upcoming court event.

A/An Hearing has been scheduled for 09/07/2023. This will take place in Stamford-Norwalk JD Courthouse located at the following address: 123 Hoyt Street, Stamford, CT.

Please be aware that there is often more than one case scheduled for a particular date in this court. Please visit www.jud.ct.gov to check for any updates that may be available on this case.

For more information, contact the Office of Victim Services at 1-800-822-8428. For updates about this case or for driving directions to the courthouse, you can visit www.jud.ct.gov.

This notification is sponsored by the Connecticut SAVIN Program. It is our hope that this information has been helpful to you.

Thank you,

The Connecticut SAVIN Program

very possibly -
and for sure he would just like all data collected from his client to be inadmissable
IMO
If I recall, months back, he tried to get all charges dropped. Since that was unsuccessful (as expected), he wants all of the evidence suppressed. Just doing his job, but his reasons for suppression, dismissal of charges, and change of venue are bogus.

If I recall, months back, he tried to get all charges dropped. Since that was unsuccessful (as expected), he wants all of the evidence suppressed. Just doing his job, but his reasons for suppression, dismissal of charges, and change of venue are bogus.
Agree...JS's goal is to keep MT out of court. He'll use any avenue he can find.

AND, JS does not want to open all those boxes of "evidence" delivered to him a couple of years ago. He's cherry-picked two broad areas....search warrants on the Jefferson Xing home and the cell tower information. (And...you and others have asked why those two...me too).

However, JS wants to settle this without a trial, IMO. Am sure he has a "deal" in mind for MT, and that's part of his plan. JS has become a gigantic judicial pest. He'll keep filing motions as he hopes to wear out the system.

I'm fascinated by GF's presence at the hearing yesterday. Is she considering approving a plea bargain? Is she willing to keep fighting for justice for her daughter, perhaps even learning what happened to her body? Or, has her concern and focus shifted to protecting her grandchildren? It's an untenable situation.

I hope the new judge is well versed in criminal law and of strong judicial character. May the new State's Attorneys handling this case have a clear understanding of the evidence and the ability to present it to a jury....IMO, the best news would be a trial in 2023.

Agree...JS's goal is to keep MT out of court. He'll use any avenue he can find.

AND, JS does not want to open all those boxes of "evidence" delivered to him a couple of years ago. He's cherry-picked two broad areas....search warrants on the Jefferson Xing home and the cell tower information. (And...you and others have asked why those two...me too).

However, JS wants to settle this without a trial, IMO. Am sure he has a "deal" in mind for MT, and that's part of his plan. JS has become a gigantic judicial pest. He'll keep filing motions as he hopes to wear out the system.

I'm fascinated by GF's presence at the hearing yesterday. Is she considering approving a plea bargain? Is she willing to keep fighting for justice for her daughter, perhaps even learning what happened to her body? Or, has her concern and focus shifted to protecting her grandchildren? It's an untenable situation.

I hope the new judge is well versed in criminal law and of strong judicial character. May the new State's Attorneys handling this case have a clear understanding of the evidence and the ability to present it to a jury....IMO, the best news would be a trial in 2023.
The fact that GF was there interested me very much. She has been present at none of the court proceedings up to this date, so I wonder why now? I don’t know how it all really works (even after umpteen episodes of Law & Order)-how would the process of getting a deal work? Who makes the first move? What would MT have to offer up to get one? I assume that any deal that is acceptable to MT would not include any kind of incarceration, and I imagine she would want her passport back. Certainly that would be unacceptable to either the prosecution or GF, though, unless she gave up something-like where they put Jennifer’s remains. MT may not have been involved with the actual murder or getting rid of Jennifer’s body but I think she knows what FD did with it. And I think GF thinks that, too. She wants her daughter’s remains back.

^^rsbm

Burden is on the defense.

This request for a change of venue is truly Shoenhorn's last effort to get the case to Hartford after failing every other attempt in various courts over two years.

I trust the prosecution will bring up these previous efforts if in fact the defense truly believed there was legitimate cause for a change of venue (i.e., prejudicial pretrial publicity). This isn't something that happens overnight (or since MT started tweeting)!

What is it -- Stamford to Hartford, maybe two hours north?
JS first tried to get the change of venue on another issue--that the crimes MT was charged with were allegedly committed in Hartford area. That was denied, I think?

JS first tried to get the change of venue on another issue--that the crimes MT was charged with were allegedly committed in Hartford area. That was denied, I think?
The way it went was, at first JS was saying that the crimes she was accused of would have been committed in Farmington, so she should be tried there, and he actually has a point, in my opinion. And yes, that motion was denied (not sure if it was Blawie). Now, he and MT are all over the place claiming that she cannot get a fair trial in Stamford because of all of the media attention. The problem with that argument is that there would be no media attention if those two would shut up, like Kent Mawhinney has. He keeps yapping to the press, some of which is actually friendly, like Lisa Backus, and Erin Moriarty. And she is all over X (formerly Twitter), shooting off her disgusting mouth about how she is being victimized by an anti-Michelle press, and all of the people following it. She and Schoenhorn are creating their own circus to start with. At this point, I don’t think it matters where her trial is held-I don’t think their smokescreen is going to help. She really is despicable.

I am here in Connecticut (83miles from Stamford). I have not seen one news video from yesterday’s hearing - only the day before’s hearing. I don’t know if it is out of respect for GF to not show a picture of her or what. Even searching the web for anything on yesterday’s hearing only brings up a couple of articles.

I am here in Connecticut (83miles from Stamford). I have not seen one news video from yesterday’s hearing - only the day before’s hearing. I don’t know if it is out of respect for GF to not show a picture of her or what. Even searching the web for anything on yesterday’s hearing only brings up a couple of articles.
Same here-they are just manufacturing the bias and hatred against MT. Seriously, if they presented to the judge what’s been reported, and the very few tweets (or whatever they call them now), the judge would probably say “this doesn’t impress me, and why are you trolling over there on Twitter?” Because from what I have personally seen, absolutely nobody is tweeting anything that isn’t positive, and then tagging her with it. 100% of it is her trying to gin up antagonistic responses.

The way it went was, at first JS was saying that the crimes she was accused of would have been committed in Farmington, so she should be tried there, and he actually has a point, in my opinion. And yes, that motion was denied (not sure if it was Blawie). Now, he and MT are all over the place claiming that she cannot get a fair trial in Stamford because of all of the media attention. The problem with that argument is that there would be no media attention if those two would shut up, like Kent Mawhinney has. He keeps yapping to the press, some of which is actually friendly, like Lisa Backus, and Erin Moriarty. And she is all over X (formerly Twitter), shooting off her disgusting mouth about how she is being victimized by an anti-Michelle press, and all of the people following it. She and Schoenhorn are creating their own circus to start with. At this point, I don’t think it matters where her trial is held-I don’t think their smokescreen is going to help. She really is despicable.
I absolutely loved the response a twitter user gave to her yesterday of the infamous middle finger pic. MT then responds with 2 female classy celebrities holding up fingers taken down now, after they OP said don't compare yourself to them. That was epic. LOL

It is hard to say without being in court and listening to the back and forth between defense /prosecution/ judge, but my guess is that when all is said and done JS will not prevail on any of his motions to any significant extent. They are all without substance imo.

That will put us at the juncture of plea time imo. I think JS will then go to the state and suggest a deal and then the negotiation begins ( protocol wise I guess the state could also approach JS ). I believe that is why Gloria was in court. It's getting around to pedal to the metal time. My assumption would be that Gloria had others with her like perhaps Weinstein /family/trusted friend.

I think that she wanted to
-let MT and her family feel her physical presence and understand that Jennifer has in no way has been forgotten, nor has Gloria taken her eye off the ball
- to get the feel of the proceedings/ assess the court dynamics and evaluate the strengths of the prosecution/defense/judge

Above all, she will have the well being of the children in mind while sitting there. They were aged 8-13 when Jennifer was murdered so four years later they are all pretty much teenagers. A trial will be nationally reported on and bring all the past back in to focus. I don't know that the media would be as respectful of the family's privacy as they were four years ago.

IMO she must decide what serves the best interests of the children while at the same time honor her murdered daughter. What does she think Jennifer would want her to do. Such an heart wrenching position. My heart goes out to this mother./grandmother. I trust whatever she decides will be for the best. ALLJMO

It is hard to say without being in court and listening to the back and forth between defense /prosecution/ judge, but my guess is that when all is said and done JS will not prevail on any of his motions to any significant extent. They are all without substance imo.

That will put us at the juncture of plea time imo. I think JS will then go to the state and suggest a deal and then the negotiation begins ( protocol wise I guess the state could also approach JS ). I believe that is why Gloria was in court. It's getting around to pedal to the metal time. My assumption would be that Gloria had others with her like perhaps Weinstein /family/trusted friend.

I think that she wanted to
-let MT and her family feel her physical presence and understand that Jennifer has in no way has been forgotten, nor has Gloria taken her eye off the ball
- to get the feel of the proceedings/ assess the court dynamics and evaluate the strengths of the prosecution/defense/judge

Above all, she will have the well being of the children in mind while sitting there. They were aged 8-13 when Jennifer was murdered so four years later they are all pretty much teenagers. A trial will be nationally reported on and bring all the past back in to focus. I don't know that the media would be as respectful of the family's privacy as they were four years ago.

IMO she must decide what serves the best interests of the children while at the same time honor her murdered daughter. What does she think Jennifer would want her to do. Such an heart wrenching position. My heart goes out to this mother./grandmother. I trust whatever she decides will be for the best. ALLJMO
I feel essentially the same way about this. GF was there to make her presence known, and duly noted. And, her main concern is the children and what is best for them. If the best thing for them would be to accept a plea bargain, then that’s what she’d likely support. Is it entirely up to her, though? Or does the prosecution heavily weight her preference, and go from there? Not sure how it works…I wonder what the agreement would have to be? MT cannot just strut into court and pick whatever door that says “no jail time, no probation”, although I am sure this is what she wants, based on her tweets. So-what could the possibilities be? This is pretty interesting…and then I wonder how, or if, this affects KM’s trial in any way? Do you suppose that the state of CT has been waiting for 4 years, for her lawyer to approach them with a proposal?

I have an enormous amount of respect and compassion for Gloria Farber, and how she has stepped up, at this late time in her life, for the last 4 years. The disrespect she has endured, especially from the Troconis clan, is appalling. I wish I believed that Hell exists, and that there is a special place there for people like these troglodytes.

Last edited:
I feel essentially the same way about this. GF was there to make her presence known, and duly noted. And, her main concern is the children and what is best for them. If the best thing for them would be to accept a plea bargain, then that’s what she’d likely support. Is it entirely up to her, though? Or does the prosecution heavily weight her preference, and go from there? Not sure how it works…I wonder what the agreement would have to be? MT cannot just strut into court and pick whatever door that says “no jail time, no probation”, although I am sure this is what she wants, based on her tweets. So-what could the possibilities be? This is pretty interesting…and then I wonder how, or if, this affects KM’s trial in any way? Do you suppose that the state of CT has been waiting for 4 years, for her lawyer to approach them with a proposal?
KM's case has been lingering time wise behind MT's I believe for a reason - I think KM has already signaled his desire to make a deal. If not and they make a deal with MT they are signaling to KM that they are willing to bargain with him.

The court would prefer a plea imo. It frees up their resources etc and closes the case. I personally don't want to speculate on what Gloria should or should not do in relation to a plea or whether she should take it to court.
I also think that the prosecution will advise GF and what they think their odds are in court.

Just my opinion - ianal - Hopefully @Seattle1 will come by and weigh in !

KM's case has been lingering time wise behind MT's I believe for a reason - I think KM has already signaled his desire to make a deal. If not and they make a deal with MT they are signaling to KM that they are willing to bargain with him.

The court would prefer a plea imo. It frees up their resources etc and closes the case. I personally don't want to speculate on what Gloria should or should not do in relation to a plea or whether she should take it to court.
I also think that the prosecution will advise GF and what they think their odds are in court.

Just my opinion - ianal - Hopefully @Seattle1 will come by and weigh in !
I hope Seattle weighs in-I have no idea how these things work, except that usually the State is at least interested in having a conversation about a plea deal, since, as you said, it frees up court resources. Let’s see what happens in the next month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue210