Identified! CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Since we can't find a J N High school (from that time period), I'm wondering if the "n" stood for normal, so the school would be Jxxx Normal High School, which probably was renamed sometime between when the ring was purchased and then later found with the victim. For example, the J could have stood for the name of the town, something like Jacksonville Normal High School, and perhaps later Normal was dropped.
Normal school - Wikipedia
Interesting idea, but I don't think it would be both a "normal" school and a "high" school. The teachers' colleges with the name "Normal" in them were called the XYZ Normal School, I believe.

Has Joyce Brewer been mentioned? I can't remember and can't seem to find a way to search the thread.

Joyce Creola Brewer – The Charley Project

joyce_creola_brewer_2.jpg
Original

I forget. What identifiers do we have for this Jane Doe? I thought there was insufficient DNA to profile, and I don't think they were able to get fingerprints because of decomposition, so that leaves dental records. Does she even have those on file?

I forget. What identifiers do we have for this Jane Doe? I thought there was insufficient DNA to profile, and I don't think they were able to get fingerprints because of decomposition, so that leaves dental records. Does she even have those on file?
In The Doe Network it is mentioned that he has DNA and Dental available.

Has Joyce Brewer been mentioned? I can't remember and can't seem to find a way to search the thread.

Joyce Creola Brewer – The Charley Project

joyce_creola_brewer_2.jpg
Original
Interesting possibility, here it is mentioned "It is believed that she ran away with a boyfriend" age and height are an issue but considering that Lorraine Stahl's body was "almost complete or complete skeletal" maybe they could be confused with height and also possibly with age.

The Doe Network: Case File 1465DFTX

Could someone do a reconstruction for Lorraine Stahl? all we have is this drawn sketch but it might help a bit to have a current reconstruction.

Attachments

• Lorraine_Stahl.jpg
    Lorraine_Stahl.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 9
Hey new to this one. Been reading about it on my spare time last few days! So far I’m team Darlene polizzi but I found some new ones on namus! This one really stuck out to me. I think we have been focusing on the ring to much, on that note I decided to go down the phone bill route which sent me into an even bigger rabbit hole!

observing the phone records, something significant stood out. The calls to Tennessee with the same prefix following the area code. I noticed that our “Lorraine doe” was on the phone for MUCH longer than other locations, one call to Nashville on November 18th for 210 minutes! This woman new someone important to be on the phone for that length of time!

The google rabbit hole led me to a law office but it wasn’t an exact match and the prefix she originally telephoned seems to now be defunct.

I found a woman matching her discription but she’s said to have went missing in 1973 HOWEVER! BIG HOWEVER, her parents seemed to be AHoles and she wasn’t even reported as missing until 1998 by other family members... could it be that the details sorounding this missing woman are wrong or the timing is off? Perhaps 1974 is a rough estimate, and the extended family who has wondered all these years what happened, could have the dates wrong? I encourage everyone to check her out in the link I’ll leave below, the circumstances seem to fit the narrative but I need other people to help me investigate this one further!

cheers, holly the armchair detective

edit to add!! I’m not sure what led me to this conclusion as this doe went missing from New York technically... but somehow the rabbit hole led me here from the tennesee relationship theory. Lol!!!

Sheryl Ann Tillinghast – The Charley Project

Last edited:
Hey new to this one. Been reading about it on my spare time last few days! So far I’m team Darlene polizzi but I found some new ones on namus! This one really stuck out to me. I think we have been focusing on the ring to much, on that note I decided to go down the phone bill route which sent me into an even bigger rabbit hole!

observing the phone records, something significant stood out. The calls to Tennessee with the same prefix following the area code. I noticed that our “Lorraine doe” was on the phone for MUCH longer than other locations, one call to Nashville on November 18th for 210 minutes! This woman new someone important to be on the phone for that length of time!

The google rabbit hole led me to a law office but it wasn’t an exact match and the prefix she originally telephoned seems to now be defunct.

I found a woman matching her discription but she’s said to have went missing in 1973 HOWEVER! BIG HOWEVER, her parents seemed to be AHoles and she wasn’t even reported as missing until 1998 by other family members... could it be that the details sorounding this missing woman are wrong or the timing is off? Perhaps 1974 is a rough estimate, and the extended family who has wondered all these years what happened, could have the dates wrong? I encourage everyone to check her out in the link I’ll leave below, the circumstances seem to fit the narrative but I need other people to help me investigate this one further!

edit to add!! I’m not sure what led me to this conclusion as this doe went missing from New York technically... but somehow the rabbit hole led me here from the tennesee relationship theory. Lol!!!

Jane Doe was definitley killed January 1 1970 so she couldnt be a woman who dissapeared in 1973.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome! Interesting observations! I don't think it's Sheryl because she left behind two paychecks, so they had the checks at one time, they know when she last worked, and timeframe of her disappearance has got to be at least roughly accurate.

<modsnip> Johanna Lizzie Nadler. Letters inside the ring are J. L. N. She was born in New Jersey on February 28, 1903 to John Heinrich Ludwig Nadler and Louisa Johanna Juliana Berndt. Johanna Lizzie Nadler had 2 children. She passed away on 30 May 1957.
1f914.png
So Johanna Lizzie Nadler was grandma of Darlene Polizzi. Darlene was born in Germany (and moved to the US with her mother who had remarried a gentleman who lovingly adopted Darlene).
1f914.png
I still would like to know the High School this ring is from.

Skigirl wrote about Darlene and her grandmother's initials and the ring in the photo: I've been tracking this case for so long that it's not infrequent for me to feel like I've make exciting new discoveries only to find out that they are discoveries I clearly knew about eight years ago. I had totally discounted Darlene because of the strong suspicion about the serial killer and the timing, but the info about her grandmother's initials and the ring in the photo (which I don't remember ever seeing before), has brought me around.

She does resemble the sketch. Also interesting, she has a ring hanging from a necklace. Looks like there’s a cross also hanging with it. The Doe also was wearing a handmade necklace. Just for comparison, put the rings in question together. They do look similar. Please, look at the attached photo of both rings.

I also enclosed the picture of two school rings. These rings look very similar, but they are from different years. They are made of gold and silver. There are initials for engraving. I think it's J. L. N. on the ring for her grandma. These would seem to be High School rings. They occurred to me that are signet rings.

She must have left her jewelry behind. This ring has had a special meaning and emotional connection to her. I would think she has always kept it around her neck. This ring has been one with her and her identity. This ring has not been a piece of jewelry for her, but it has meant much more to her... very special thing. Looks like there’s a cross also hanging with the ring. I guess she’s taken the cross off the necklace and just kept the ring. This ring could be from her grandmother, giving it more emotional value than her other jewelries. This ring has passed along with her.

The identity of the unknown woman is apparently Darlene Polizzi. Interestingly she was friends with a wife of a murderer. And there was a bank robbery by him in NJ. The fits the description and also has the spots on her cheek. The spots on the cheek are freckles. Darlene had brown/red hair and brown eyes. Redheads often have freckles. Darlene had spots (freckles) on her face. She does show spots on her face. Jane Doe had spots (freckles) on her cheeks.

Look at this! Clothing description of Darlene: A brown blouse, a polka-dotted skirt and a brown suede coat with a fur collar. Her clothes are very similar like Jane Doe had... the same brown color etc.
1f914.png
Jane Doe had this clothing: Tan leather "wet look" vest, gold/tan sweater, brown tweed skirt, brown granny boots that go to the knees, and a yellow rain coat.

Darlene has reddish-brown hair and brown eyes, 5’3”, and weighing only 100 pounds. She was wearing a brown blouse and a skirt with polka dots, along with a brown suede coat with a fur collar.

Skigirl wrote: James Gardner, accomplice to the murder, gave his wife some of the UID's clothes. Her name was Hilda Iemma and she kept the clothes in Rhode Island until they were seized by detectives in 1974.
1f914.png
Skigirl wrote later again: This information was from an article in The Day, July 1, 1976.The clothes and rollers were intact because they were given to a girlfriend/wife of one of the killers. They were recovered in her home during the investigation into the deaths of Doe.

Jenny Doe was also White, Caucasian female like also Darlene Polizzi was a Caucasian female.

Darlene had curled hair. Found with Jane Doe was a set of Clairol rollers. Going to guess they were pretty important for her to have been on her person.

Darlene had styled hair. She used rollers for taking care of her hair. In all the pictures, her hair looks curled up. The curls have stretched out in the grave. I separate the hair put on the curlers because I am a woman myself. Curlers were still used by people older than me in the 1970s and 1980s. They even slept with curlers and a scarf on their heads.

Skigirl wrote about Darlene: Didn't some of the people who knew her say that they thought she'd been a dancer, but in New York? Some took that to mean that she was an exotic dancer, but maybe she worked in his club.
1f914.png
She was a waitress at the Hangar Restaurant in Paramus, NJ.

I was recently reading up on this case, when the killers confessed they said the Jane Doe and her partner were killed on new years eve 1970, so anyone missing after that is likely not a match unless they were reported missing years after they actually disappeared. Also missing persons cannot be too young for their age.

Skigirl wrote: There are some interesting details in an article I found in the Hartford Courant (June 30, 1976). * Carmichael bought the car that was found after the murders in Bridgeport, CT on October 28, 1970.

* After his murder, it was found stripped in Hartford but the inspection sticker remained.
* LE was able to learn from the sticker that the car was registered on Dec. 15, 1970 in Portland, Maine to David Skaggs, an alias of Carmichael's.
* A woman named Sandra Maiden claimed that at 17 years old, she, her husband (Roger Brown), Carmichael, and Jane Doe traveled together to "an Inn in CT" after a bank robbery in New Jersey

* The bank robbery was committed in Hamilton Square, New Jersey on Dec. 22, 1970 by the men and netted them $60,000.

* Sandra Maiden was subsequently left alone in an apartment in Exeter, NH a few weeks after the robbery, caught a bus to Portland, Maine, and called the FBI.

This was the beginning of this case:

On May 30, 1974, the Connecticut State Police received a tip about two murders and dug up a shallow grave in a wooded area behind the house. The decomposed bodies of a man and a woman were found. The man was successfully identified as a convicted bank robber, Gustavous Lee Carmichael.

Carmichael was a serial bank robber and had even escaped custody from jail. He and the woman (who was his girlfriend) used the aliases, Dirk and Lorraine Stahl before their murders on December 31, 1970. "Lorraine Stahl" was an alias of a woman found deceased in 1974. She also used the names Sandy and Connie.

Two men have been convicted for their murders. The unidentified woman was murdered because the two men feared that if apprehended, the woman would divulge details of their illegal activity. Carmichael was murdered, as the two men thought it would be impossible to kill the woman without killing Carmichael as well, as he would likely intervene.

1313UFCT - Unidentified Female​

The Missing Darlene DeWolff Polizzi

The Missing
Darlene DeWolff Polizzi
Case #: MP18331 (NamUs)
County: Bergen

Darlene DeWolff Polizzi was 19 years old when she went missing on Monday, April 24, 1967. She was a waitress at the Hangar Restaurant in Paramus, NJ. She was last seen at her home at the 400 block of Westminster Place in Lodi, Bergen County, New Jersey. Darlene has reddish-brown hair and brown eyes, 5’3”, and weighing only 100 pounds. She was wearing a brown blouse and a skirt with polka dots, along with a brown suede coat with a fur collar. Darlene was a regular at Tommy’s Diner on Paterson Avenue in Wallington, New Jersey.

According to her husband, (whose name I have not been able to find) the couple were looking to move, so Darlene accompanied him to look at new apartments that day. After looking at three, they returned to their residence. At some point later, Darlene’s husband went out again, by himself, leaving his wife at home. When he returned, she was gone. She has never been heard from again. Darlene’s husband reported her missing the next day, April 25.

It was determined that Darlene had taken several clothing items with her, but she left behind the rest of her personal belongings, including her jewelry. Police did not have Darlene’s DNA until they obtained it from the last surviving sister, who passed away in 2016.

Most of Darlene’s family members passed away, not knowing what happened to her. Her nieces are still continuing to look for their beloved “Aunt DeeDee.”

PLEASE, GIVE ME MORE EVIDENCE AND CLUES IF AVAILABLE!!!

Attachments

• DARLENE RING.jpg
    DARLENE RING.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 17
  • HIGH SCHOOL RING.jpg
    HIGH SCHOOL RING.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DARLENE.jpeg
    DARLENE.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 13
  • JANE DOE 2.jpg
    JANE DOE 2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DARLENE 3.png
    DARLENE 3.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 7
  • DARLENE 5.png
    DARLENE 5.png
    963.5 KB · Views: 16
  • HIGH SCHOOL RINGS.png
    HIGH SCHOOL RINGS.png
    552.8 KB · Views: 16
I tried to edit a previous message, but time was closed. I enclosed the pictures of Jane Doe for Darlene's relatives if they can identify her from drawings.

Now we need to find out the High School of this class ring. Papijoe 2002 wrote:

Here's the deal with the ring. Take the higher quality picture of the JHNS ring on Namus, and blow it up big. Blown up, it eventually becomes very obvious that the letters on the ring are not JHNS or JNHS. We've all maybe looked at it and assumed that there was an "H" in there somewhere but I never actually found one.

Easy to see under magnification, there is a shadow that creates an illusion of a break between the letters. Believe it or not the letters are actually........."BNS". The "J" is just the left side of the fancy "B". I havent found the exact font (please help if you can) but there are several Olde English/Gothic Fonts that have a vertical line going through the "S". The "S: ends up looking similar to a $ sign B$N are the letters.

We also know about Darlene and her grandparents. An original owner of this class ring was Johanna Lizzie Nadler. Letters inside the ring are J. L. N. She was born in New Jersey on February 28, 1903 to John Heinrich Ludwig Nadler and Louisa Johanna Juliana Berndt. Johanna Lizzie Nadler had 2 children. She passed away on 30 May 1957.

So Johanna Lizzie Nadler was grandma of Darlene Polizzi. Darlene was born in Germany (and moved to the US with her mother who had remarried a gentleman who lovingly adopted Darlene).

Now we need to know the school where Darlene's grandmother studied. Darlene's grandma was born in New Jersey on February 28,1903. She graduated from school in 1917. She has been about 14 years old at the time. Or do they get class rings during their studies? I don’t have any knowledge about the school system in America at the beginning of last century.

Attachments

• JANE DOE 3.jpg
    JANE DOE 3.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 6
  • RING.jpg
    RING.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 9
  • RING 2.jpg
    RING 2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 13
  • HIGH SCHOOL RING 2.jpg
    HIGH SCHOOL RING 2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DARLENE 5.jpg
    DARLENE 5.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 11
Dental records would be good because that's all this Jane Doe has. Also, from the ME's response, it sounds like Helen may have been on their radar but was either dismissed or not closely compared, but I'm just guessing here. Hopefully, there will be answers. Just to let you know, though, if you weren't aware already, it may take years working across the border like that. This is where patience truly is a virtue!
I just checked, that Jane Doe's DNA is available. She was missing her upper jaw due to shooting. Her skeleton is not complete.

I just checked Darlene's case. There her DNA is unknown.

Police did not have Darlene’s DNA until they obtained it from the last surviving sister, who passed away in 2016.

I found these sites of Darlene Polizzi

Hello, I am a new member. I have been following the case of Sodder children for a long time. There I found this case of Jane Doe. I have checked messages and I paid particular attention to your posts. I am quite sure that Jane Doe is Darlene Polizzi. I have found too many similarities and clues with her and Jane Doe about this case. You previously wrote: "I've been tracking this case for so long that it's not infrequent for me to feel like I've make exciting new discoveries only to find out that they are discoveries I clearly knew about eight years ago. I had totally discounted Darlene because of the strong suspicion about the serial killer and the timing, but the info about her grandmother's initials and the ring in the photo (which I don't remember ever seeing before), has brought me around." May I ask about Darlene's grandmother's initials on the ring? Do you know her name? I can list later what I have found in Darlene’s case that she is this unknown woman Jane Doe. Here is the best website of Darlene Polizzi' case, that I have found.

The Missing Darlene DeWolff Polizzi

Personally, to this day Darlene Polizzi is still a very good possibility for "Lorraine Stahl" I hope this gets forwarded to the Darlene case handlers and the Jane Doe case handlers.

Now we need to find out the High School of this class ring. Papijoe 2002 wrote on Websleuths:

Here's the deal with the ring. Take the higher quality picture of the JHNS ring on Namus, and blow it up big. Blown up, it eventually becomes very obvious that the letters on the ring are not JHNS or JNHS. We've all maybe looked at it and assumed that there was an "H" in there somewhere but I never actually found one.

Easy to see under magnification, there is a shadow that creates an illusion of a break between the letters. Believe it or not the letters are actually........."BNS". The "J" is just the left side of the fancy "B". I havent found the exact font (please help if you can) but there are several Olde English/Gothic Fonts that have a vertical line going through the "S". The "S: ends up looking similar to a $ sign B$N are the letters.

An original owner of this class ring was Johanna Lizzie Nadler. Letters inside the ring are J. L. N. She was born in New Jersey on February 28, 1903 to John Heinrich Ludwig Nadler and Louisa Johanna Juliana Berndt. Could this school have been located in New Jersey?

Back in the day nursing schools were known by the town, instead of University. Example Bridgeport School of Nursing. I wonder if she was a Nurse and it could have been a class ring from nursing school.

BSN means a nursing school (school of nursing). There are BSN Nursing Programs. For example The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program. There are BSN courses. The Weatherford College where BSN program is decided for Registered Nurses with an associate's degree or diploma who are ready to earn their bachelor's degree to advance their nursing career. The Weatherford College was founded in 1869.

I am wondering if there has been a nursing school in New Jersey at the beginning of the last century. The owner of the ring, Johanna Lizzie Nadler, was born in 1903 in New Jersey. The school may also have been located in the vicinity of New Jersey.

Bridgeport had one in the late 1800 to early 1900's at their hospital in Connecticut. Not too far from New Jersey.
Also some were called school of Nursing before they were part of Universities.

Student Body and Teachers in Front of Bridgeport High School, Bridgeport, W. Va.

High School, Bridgeport, W. Va.

Bridgeport High School, about 1910 (the school, in a different building, is now Central High School)

I checked from Wikipedia Bridgeport, New Jersey. Bridgeport is an unincorporated community located within Logan Township, in Gloucester County, New Jersey, United States. I guess Bridgeport High School is that "nursing school" we're looking for. Are there any other nursing schools in that area in New Jersey or near this place?

I googled Nursing Schools 1917, found many pictures of them from that year 1917. She graduated from school in 1917. Johanna Lizzie Nadler has been about 14 years old at the time. Or do they get class rings during their studies? The nurses look like much older in the pictures. I found this article: Nursing goes to university.

Back then some graduated really young, due to one room schools. Some kids were way ahead of their age bracket. Back then age requirements were not regulated like now.

The nursing school may no longer be working like etc. the Baystate School of Nursing. :) The first record of a training school appears in the minutes of the Medical Staff meeting in 1981. In 1892 Miss Lucinda Howard, a trustee, convinced the Board that Springfield Hospital should have a School of Nursing. In may of that year, nine young women arrived to start a two year course. The Baystate School of Nursing officially closed in 1999.

BAYSTATE SCHOOLD OF NURSING HISTORY

Nursery Schools: History (1844 - 1919) - NURSERY SCHOOLS CHRONOLOGY

History of Nursing Education in America

I was also looking for nursing schools in Europe because Darlene was born in Germany (and moved to the US with her mother who had remarried a gentleman who lovingly adopted Darlene).

Last year, the British School in the Netherlands had its 90th anniversary in 2021, the 90th anniversary of its founding. This school was founded in 1932. Has this school operated somewhere else before? The class ring dates from 1917. You can see 90 years of BSN in the enclosed picture of this school.

However Darlene was last seen at her home at the 400 block of Westminster Place in Lodi, Bergen County, New Jersey. I assume her family lived in New Jersey where her grandmother was born and his great grand parents also lived.

Polizzi was a waitress at the Hangar Restaurant in Paramus, New Jersey at the time of her disappearance, and was a regular customer at Tommy's Diner on Paterson Avenue in Wallington, New Jersey.

Darlene's nickname/alias was Deidre.

I have tried to reach relatives, Dawn, daughter of Darlene's sister or brother. I am waiting for her response. Do hope, she writes me back soon.

Darlene Polizzi was presumed to have been murdered in Lodi, NJ in 1967, but she has never been located

Darlene Polizzi, nee De Wollf went missing at the age of 19 on April 24, 1967. Her husband, Leonard Polizzi, was the last person to see her after they returned to to their residence at 472 Westminster Place in Lodi, Bergen County, New Jersey. They had just gotten home from apartment shopping when Leonard Polizzi decided to go out, and Darlene Polizzi stayed behind. He came home to find her not present at their home, and he noticed some of her items were also missing. After several hours he reported her missing.

Polizzi had been wearing a polka-dotted skirt, a brown suede jacket with fur lining, and a brown and a brown shirt on the day she was last seen. It was determined that Darlene had taken several clothing items with her, but she left behind the rest of her personal belongings, including her jewelry. 1313UFCT - Unidentified Female - Jane Doe's belongings included a suitcase and clothes. There was also a Lady Clairol hair roller set. Darlene's hair was curly and styled in all pictures. She used curlers.

The weather on the day of her disappearance was rather clear, yet brisk, at about 44 degrees Fahrenheit. It surely is not the type of weather in which most people would take a leisurely stroll. All signs had pointed to her being abducted.

This missing person case has been taken very seriously by law enforcement since 1967 due to the nature of Polizzi's disappearance. A search of Polizzi took place with searching technology at the time. Due to how much time has passed since her disappearance, time is of the essence for anyone to come forward with any clues they may have.

<modsnip>

I found this about Darlene's Great Grand Parents and Grandparents:

John Heinrich Ludwig Nadler (1862 - 1914) born November 28, 1862 in Berlin, Germany.
His arrival was in 1878 at the age of 16 years old - (there is also arrival year 1866)

He married with Louisa Johanna Juliana Nadler (born Berndt) May 30, 1891 in West New York, Hudson, New Jersey, USA

Louisa Johanna Juliana Nadler (born Berndt) born January 18, 1875 in Ober-Glassersdorf, Germany.

Her arrival was in 1885 at age of 10 years old.

Her death July 12, 1949 in Fort Lee, Bergen, New Jersey, USA

Johanna Lizzie Heisler (born Nadler) was born February 28, 1903, at birth place, New Jersey, to John Heinrich Ludwig Nadler and Louisa Johanna Juliana Berndt.

She had eight siblings (6 sisters and 2 brothers)

Her living place was in 1910 in Fairview, Bergen, New Jersey, USA

She was married (April 19, 1920) with William Hogan Heisler

Her death May 30, 1957

William Hogan Heisler (1895 - 1956)

He worked in a paper mill (Federal Paper Mill) in River Rd, Bogota, New Jersey

Johanna Lizzie Heisler and Willian Hogan Heisler had two children. One of the children is apparently still alive because her data was not visible. I know, that Darlene's mother should have been dead.

They daughter Lucille Elisabeth Heisler was born September 12, 1922 in Hackensack, Bergen, New Jersey, USA.

She was married with Edward DeWolff and divorced September 21, 1971 in Broward, Florida, USA

Her death October 10, 2000 in Paramus, Bergen, New Jersey, USA

Edward Dewolff was born July 12, 1922 in Hackensack, Bergen, New Jersey, USA

His death June 27, 1979 in Fort Lauderdale, Broward, Florida, USA

Edward Dewolff born to Jannes De Wolff (1886 - 1959) and Susanna De Wolff (born Burgel)

Jannes De Wolff was born November 15, 1886 in Cadzand, the Netherlands
His death February 14, 1929 in Middelburg, the Netherlands

Susanna De Wolff was born October 9, 1963 in Schoondijke
Her death June 3, 1948 in Koudekerke, the Netherlands

Jannes De Wollf's mother was Sara De Wolff
She was born April 17, 1933 in Cadzand, the Netherlands

Lucille Elizabeth Heisler and Edward DeWolff
They had one daughter Carol Joann Weigle (born DeWolff), that was born September 25, 1942.

Her death August 13, 2011 in Lodi, Bergen, New Jersey

Carol Joann Weigle (Born DeWolff) had one child, that was born Weigle.

Presumably, Darlene's siblings have not been listed in the genealogy database because they were alive. There should have been more children than only one child Darlene. All of Darlene's surviving relatives are missing from the database. Darlene is also missing from the database, because she is a missing person after her disappearance. She might have been alive.

Police did not have Darlene's DNA until they obtained it from the last surviving sister, who passed away in 2016.

Most of Darlene's family members passed away, not knowing what happened to her. Her nieces are still continuing to look for their beloved "Aunt DeeDee".

Darlene was her mother's or father's sister, that is still continuing to look finding out Darlene's fate. She wrote: Darlene DeWolff is my Aunt, I was in my Mom’s belly when she went missing and in May I was born and 54 years later still no closure for the Family that is still left.

After reading about Darlene’s disappearance, she had a husband when she went missing. So her last name Polizzi was from her husband. Her full name was Darlene De Wolff Polizzi. Her Great Grand Parents were originally from Germany in Europe.

Her last name De Wolff has been also written Dewollf. I think the correct spelling is DeWollf. Darlene's name was written Darlene R Dewollf when she married her husband Leonard Polizzi in April 1966 in New Jersey.

I read about Darlene’s Dutch and Croatian (Serbian) ancestry somewhere in connection with her disappearance notification, but I couldn’t find it anymore by googling anywhere. She seems to have had Dutch and German roots from Europe. That's why was also looking for nursing schools in Europe like the Netherlands. However, the class ring looks like an American High School ring. There have been pictured many High School class rings here on the Websleuth website.

Now we need to find out the High School (Nursery School) of this class ring.

ALL OF YOUR HELP IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED AND WELCOME. PLEASE, GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS!

Attachments

• HIGH SCHOOL RING 2.jpg
    HIGH SCHOOL RING 2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 14
  • HIGH SCHOOL RING.jpg
    HIGH SCHOOL RING.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DARLENE 6.jpg
    DARLENE 6.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 7
  • BRITISH SCHOOL.jpg
    BRITISH SCHOOL.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 13
This is a very clear case. Darlene DeWolff Polizzi was 19 years old when she went missing on Monday, April 24, 1967. She was last seen at her home at the 400 block of Westminster Place in Lodi, Bergen County, New Jersey.

Jane Doe was still alive on December 31, 1970. Her body was found on May 30, 1974 from Stonington, New London County, Connecticut. There are mentioned in some sources, that she died on the same day she was last seen alive. On The Doe Network the is mentioned an estimated date of death is to 1974.

Darlene had been missing eight years before her body was found (the Doe's body was found in spring 1974). This is the same person Darlene Polizzi. Thus, Darlene disappeared in April 1967 and was still seen alive "as unknown Jane Doe" in late December 1970. Witnesses to the Jane Doe case did not recognize the person that she had disappeared from Darlene 3.5 years earlier.

The person who investigated this case gave me this information. "By the way, here's a tidbit on my files for Darlene: Lodi is not far from Mercersville, where the Jane Doe was staying when the bank was robbed. She was also in contact with somebody in Levittown. Also note the proximity to NYC."

I am from Finland, Europe. The distances between the places don't tell me anything on the map. All help is very welcome! The distances between the places don’t matter much, as it has taken longer between her disappearance and the discovery of Jane Doe’s body. Darlene had disappeared from her home while her husband was going out. When he returned back home, Darlene was gone. Darlene had taking several clothing with her. She was a waitress at the Hangar Restaurant in Paramus, New Jersey.

I assume she went to see an acquaintance while her husband was out. Maybe she had met someone at a restaurant while she was working there. He was not abducted because he had packed his personal belongings with her and had left home. The unknown Dane Doe had a suitcase and several clothes. Maybe Darlene called someone or she was called while she was still at home. Nowhere is it told how long her husband was away from home. Everything that happened is told by Darlene's husband. Darlene's husband reported her missing the next day, April 25.

I also received this website link from this same guy. He has investigated the case of Jane Doe.

State v. DeFreitas

Sorry, I did a mistake. THERE IS A MISPRINT IN MY PREVIOUS MESSAGE. Instead of wrong year 2020 the right year should have been 1920.

Johanna Lizzie Nadler married William Hogan Heisler on April 19, 1920.

So Johanna was 17 years old when she got married.

There it is mentioned height: 5'2" on the Doe Network - 1313UFCT - Unidentified Female. Her estimated age was 18-30 years old.

There it was also mentioned in this article, Daily News magazine:

The unidentified victim, a 25-30 year old female was 5'4" or 5'5" tall, weighed 100 to 110 pounds, was an medium build, and had brownish red hair. She was last known to be working in New York City and is believed to have relatives living in Tennessee, West Virginia, or the Carolinas.

Darlene has reddish-brown hair and brown eyes, 5’3”, and weighing only 100 pounds. Darlene was born November 7, 1947. She was 19 years old when she went missing on Monday, April 24, 1967. The Doe with Gustavous Lee Carmichael were murdered December 31, 1970. Darlene would have been 23 years old at that time.

The mystery of the redhead’s identity has endured for nearly 50 years. (FBI)

She was wrapped in a blanket, dressed in the clothes she died in: a tan leather “wet look” vest; a gold sweater, brown tweed skirt, knee-high brown granny boots and a yellow raincoat."

Investigators believe she was from the south, maybe Tennessee, West Virginia or the Carolinas".

When Darlene went missing, she was wearing a brown blouse and a skirt with polka dots, along with a brown suede coat with a fur collar.

I wish, pictures of the Doe's clothes were color pictures. Then they would see their colors and patterns in them better. Darlene had reddish brown hairs and brown eyes. I assume one of Darlene’s favorite colors was brown and that she wore a lot of brown clothes.

I assumed Doe's suitcase would have been her own, Darlene, when she left home, she had taken several clothing items with her. There is mentioned on the Doe's case, that suitcase in the photo was "case used in robbery". However, it may have been with Darlene when she disappeared from home. The caption can be viewed on The Doe Network website as you hover your mouse over the image.

Another thing that bothers me is why the Investigators believe she was from the south, maybe Tennessee, West Virginia or the Carolinas". Did she have any relatives there? Or did she speak a certain dialect? Or did they draw their conclusions from her phone bill? I was also wondering if Doe had really worked in New York or was it just her dream? Based on the phone bill numbers, she would have been in contact with talent agency offices.

A brief summary of the class ring we are looking for

The investigators really made a real mistake. The letters are interlaced and they are clearly JN HS in the drawing. Sketch of ring done by Balfour Jewelers.

Papijoe 2002 wrote:

Easy to see under magnification, there is a shadow that creates an illusion of a break between the letters. Believe it or not the letters are actually........."BNS". The "J" is just the left side of the fancy "B". I haven't found the exact font (please help if you can) but there are several Olde English/Gothic Fonts that have a vertical line going through the "S". The "S: ends up looking similar to a $ sign B$N are the letters.

So, please forget the letters JHNS or JNHS. The investigators really made a real mistake. The letters are not interlaced on the ring like in the drawing. The BSN letters appear to be evenly smooth, not interlaced on the front (top) of the ring.

Correct initials are B.S.N. and letters inside the ring are J. L. N. (Johanna Lizzie Nadler), that was Darlene's grandma.

BSN is a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing. Often referred to by the three letters.

Johanna Lizzie Nadler was domiciled in Fairview, Bergen, New Jersey in 1910

She is buried in Fairview Cemetery, Fairview, New Jersey

Her parents John Heinrich Ludwig Nadler and Louisa Johanna Juliana Nadler (born Berndt) also lived in the same place Fairview, Bergen, New Jersey in 1910.

Like we know Johanna Lizzie Nadler was Darlene's grandmother. Darlene DeWolff Polizzi was 19 years old when she went missing on Monday, April 24, 1967. She was last seen at her home at the 400 block of Westminster Place in Lodi, Bergen County, New Jersey.

Now we need to know the school where Darlene's grandmother studied. Darlene's grandma was born in New Jersey on February 28,1903. She graduated from school in 1917. She has been about 14 years old at the time.

I am wondering if there has been a nursing school in New Jersey at the beginning of the last century. The school may also have been located in the vicinity of New Jersey.

Bridgeport had one in the late 1800 to early 1900's at their hospital in Connecticut. Not too far from New Jersey.

I share before the website of West Virginia University - West Virginia and Regional History Center

Bridgeport High School (Bridgeport, W. Va.)

After googling I saw, that New Jersey is a state located in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern regions of the United States of America, whereas West Virginia is a state in the Appalachian, Mid-Atlantic and Southeastern regions of the United States. So this Bridgeport High School cannot be the right school, that we are looking for.

Could Bridgeport High School be the school had been located near New Jersey? One nurse advised me about old nursing schools. She was just trying to give me an idea. She has a long line of nurses in her family, so this is how she even came up with the ideas.

Back in the day nursing schools were known by the town, instead of University. Example Bridgeport School of Nursing. I wonder if she was a Nurse and it could have been a class ring from nursing school.

Back then some graduated really young, due to one room schools. Some kids were way ahead of their age bracket. Back then age requirements were not regulated like now.

Distance between Newark (New Jersey) and Bridgeport (Connecticut)

How far is Bridgeport (Connecticut) from Newark (New Jersey)? Here's the quick answer if you drive this relatively short distance without making any stops? Nonstop drive: 70 miles or 113 km. Driving time: 1 hour, 27 minutes.

That nurse gave me a tip. Also some were called school of Nursing before they were part of Universities. This nursing school must be now University of Bridgeport. There is currently BSN Nursing Program.

Then I looked at the history of this university. It cannot be this University of Bridgeport. It Founded as Junior College of Connecticut in 1927. This class ring is from year 1917.

Barringer High School in Newark, NJ is one of the oldest high schools in the United States.

The year, 1838, Nathan Hedges opened the doors to a drafty, old building so that a motley group of boys would receive an education beyond primary school. By conducting the first high school program in the state, and the third to be established in the United States, Mr. Hedges unwittingly became a part of New Jersey history. Originally labeled Newark High, the school’s name was later changed to Barringer High School.

The original high school house was actually the first story of a building on Bank Street. Then in 1852, the Board of Education authorized the acquisition of a lot (90 feet front) on the corner of Washington and Linden Streets. On January 7, 1853, although still incomplete, this new building was opened. The building was three stories high, and had a student population of 498 boys and girls. The second floor was used exclusively by the girls, and the third floor only by the boys. The boys and girls were separated into two distinct departments; they were not allowed to mingle at any time.

In 1907, the Name of Newark High was officially changed to Barringer High, in honor of Dr. Barringer. July 1907 was the year the first class graduated from Barringer High School.

I just got an idea the letters of the ring could be Barringer School Newark. Initials are BSN.

Barringer High School Alumni Association

THE HISTORY OF BARRINGER HIGH SCHOOL

I am trying to find more history of this Barringer High School and graduates in 1917.

Newark Schools Collection (N.J.)

On the right there is a menu where you can choose different topics with years and time periods.

Essex County of Hospital School, 1913

This website looks like very interesting.

Newark Schools Collection (N.J), 1809 - 2003

The artifacts consist of three cross-country championship medals, won by Robert Hanlon of Central High School (1934-1935); two Central High School class rings (1929, 1936); a souvenir saucer from a 25th reunion of Central High School (1961); and one Sunday School medal presented to Emma G. Laiser by the Church of the Redeemer (1895-1897).

I also found this Family Tree site

Newark, Barringer High School, Essex Co, New Jersey, Northeast USA

List of libraries - With their years and location of service - Barringer High School, Newark, Essex Co, NJ

This search has librarians from 1910 to 1925. The family tree has a teacher with dates from 1876 to 1951.

There is also likely to be some sort of database of school students. Would it be found in either of these databases?

The search could be done by Johanna Lizzie Nadler in 1918 according to her graduation year.

When I was googling it gave me this: Manuscript Group 1082 Jack C. Richer Papers, 1917 - 1919

Sketch: Jack Richer was born in Newark in 1893, attended Barringer High School, graduated from Rutgers College in 1913, and New Jersey Law School in 1916.

The New Jersey Historical Society

I also found this site from year 1917

1917 EOHS - East Orange Public Library

There are listed Class Officers with their pictures in 1917

I also found this annual from year 1923

The 1923 Kem Lek Mek: The Annual of the Students, College of Engineering, Newark Technical School

Graduation class rings are an American tradition at the turn of the last century. They did not come to Europe, such as Finland, until the 1950s. The 1917 class ring is worth looking for in schools located in the New Jersey area.

A lot of historical material has been documented. I assume the school yearbook for students who graduated that year 1917 could also be found by searching online or asking directly from the school or museums in the New Jersey area.

We have found very similar class rings made of gold, but this is the only silver class ring. Were platinum rings still made during that time? This silver ring could be more easily traced if they were made less than golden rings.

I have also tried to find right old type of fonts for this ring, that could resemble the right fonts. They look like to be old type of Gothic fonts like B.

Today, the fonts of the letters have been stylized. The traditional letters of that time have looked much simpler. I was also looking for Olde English fonts, but I couldn't find exactly the same letters in them either. Do the traditional original fonts of that time no longer exist as they were then known? The ring can also be an interpretation made by a jewelry artist.

Attachments

• HIGH SCHOOL RING 2.jpg
    HIGH SCHOOL RING 2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 3
  • HIGH SCHOOL RING.jpg
    HIGH SCHOOL RING.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 2
  • RING 2.jpg
    RING 2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1
  • BARRINGER HIGH SCHOOL 3.jpg
    BARRINGER HIGH SCHOOL 3.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 3
Here's Darlene Polizzi's thread.

Here's Darlene Polizzi's thread.

Thanks for your help. Yes, I have added all Darlene's to both thread Darlene's and the Doe's.

You can find the details of Darlene from many places. Please, look at my messages. I have tried to find everything about Darlene. You can also find the notification of her dissappearance also from Facebook. You can also find her from NamUs and Charley Project in addition to The Doe Nework. I can contact NamUS. There are contact details of The Regional Program Specialist.

I have been in contact with NamUS and the Bergen County Prosecutor's Office (cold cases) about Darlene DeWollf Polizzi. Obviously Darlene's case handler has changed because the Bergen County Office's email server did not recognize the case handler's Lt. Carmen Martino's email address.

The Doe Network and The Charley Project websites should be updated with information of NamUS and the Bergen County Prosecutor's Office. So updates of them would happen automatically without any contacts.

I have also provided information on the case of Jane Doe from the Doe Net Work website and the NamUS website. I also provided links to the Websleuths thread in both cases.

Criminal investigators surely read this site. I follow the Finnish Crime Forum, which is very similar to this site, where home and armchair detectives try to solve criminal cases, such as disappearances and crimes against life.

Let's hope this case of Doe will finally be resolved and that all of your hard work will be rewarded. We have done everything; our best to solve out this case. All the pieces of the puzzle will snap into place! Then we can see the whole picture of these two cases.

It would be time to resolve this Doe case, as the DNA of both Doe and Darlene should be available. Police didn't have Darlene's DNA until they obtained it from the last surviving sister, who passed away in 2016.

<modsnip>

However the main thing in this case, however, is for Darlene's relatives to know her fate. Special thanks to all of you for your all help in advance. :) :) :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ula