Identified! CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Excellent! Looks like the one in Somerville was in existence in 1917, as this book was published in 1916:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Jq...ern junior high school" massachusetts&f=false

And the one in Quincy was built in 1926.

North Quincy High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

crazy! my husband lived right across the street from that school in Somerville when we first started dating a few years ago! it's no longer a junior high though, now its called "winter hill community school" or something to that effect.

not sure when the change was made, but we still live nearby, so if there is any in person sleuthing we need to rule out the somerville location, I can do it!

ETA: According to Wikipedia (hopefully I can quote that source?)

In 1916, the School Committee voted unanimously to establish four junior high schools: the Northern, the Eastern, the Southern, and the Western. Eventually, due to overcrowding, two new junior high schools were built which would accommodate three of the four and a third was enlarged. They are respectively: the Northeastern, the Western, and the Southern. All three were in operation by 1924. Somerville's junior high schools were acclaimed as prototypes of progressive secondary schooling.

So it could have likely opened in 1917!

I typed in the term "1917" class Massachusetts class rings and found a book called the "Jewelers Circular" from 1917, The Robbins Company made class pins and class rings that kind of look similar to the ring we are trying to find, it's possible in 1917 you were allowed to pick your shape and style. Don't know if this will help but thought I would put this here for easy reference. There is one example of intertwined letters.

http://books.google.com/books?id=b_...ge&q=massachusetts class rings + 1917&f=false

I finally heard back from the "organized crime" historian guy and sadly, he didn't think he could help with this case.

I can't remember, but was there any articles stating that this girl might have called herself Christine?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/brosley_mary.html

They say the victim is between eighteen and thirty years old. This missing person was thirty-three when she went missing. There is not much "family" details on her. It says she lived with her family but does not state if the family is parents, or husband and children. I find it strange that she would sometimes use the middle name Christine when her name was Mary Gertrude. Missing June 12, 1970. Isn't that around the time Carmichael escaped and went on the run? The height is right the weight would be off.

Bringing this timeline forward.

Okay, here is an updated timeline of Carmichael's whereabouts from 1964-1970. There are definitely some gaps we need to fill, but perhaps this will help us zero in on when and where he met UID:

Born in Atlanta, GA

Oct 1964: WI robbery. Listed as formerly of Boston, with local address of 207 Owen Road, Monona, WI. GC's sister was in the car when he and Amabile robbed the store. Was she visiting? Did she live/go to school there? His address is not far from the University of Wisconsin in Madison. He was 19 at the time.

Oct 1964-late 1965?? Don't know how long GC was in prison in Wisconsin, but his accomplice Amabile was out and working as a magazine salesman in southern CA by January 1966 at the latest, since this is when Amabile was involved in the hit on someone's wife.

1966-July 1968: ??? (Maybe he was in prison for part of this time? Could also be when he lived in Maine.)

July 1968 (or 1967?): GC and Brown rob a furniture store in Boston.

Oct 16, 1968: GC robs bank in Brockton, MA. When arrested, he gives his address as 506 E. 7th-St., South Boston, MA

Nov 7, 1968: Hartford/Manchester CT bank robbery (with Labbe, Lucille, etc.)

December 1968: GC and Brown apprehended in Reno, NV after escaping from jail in Plymouth, MA. Said to have committed 14 robberies that netted over a million dollars after their escape. Not sure when the escape from Plymouth occurred

1969: I think he was in prison in MA until October 1970, when he escaped en route to sentencing in CT for the Manchester robbery

Oct 5, 1970: escaped during transport from Walpole, MA to Hartford, CT. An article about their escape in the Lewiston (Maine) Times notes that they were well known to authorities in Lewiston and Auburn, used to live in the area, and had made threats to locals (supposedly Brown's wife was one of those threatened) in the past. This same article suggests that they were (incorrectly) believed to be headed down I-91 to New York after the escape. Car found abandoned in Hartford

Rest of timeline respectfully copied from Skigirl's post:

* 11/17-12/17/1970 -- UID makes phone calls from location in New Jersey, works inNew York?

* 12/22/1970 -- Carmichael & DeFreitas rob NJ bank of $60,000

* 12/28/1970 -- Carmichael shows up with UID in Ledyard

* 12/28-12/29/1970 -- Carmichael and UID stay with DeFietas and Rainello in Ledyard. UID expresses fear of getting caught/having her new identity questioned to Rainello.

* 12/30/1970 -- UID as Lorraine Stahl opens bank account

* 12/30/1970 -- UID and Carmichael (as Stahls) move into rental house in Noank.

* 12/29, 12/30, or 12/31 -- Donald Brant summoned from Rhode Island to discuss killing UID. Brandt and DeFrietas decide it's too risky to kill just the UID because of Carmichael's feelings for UID.

* 12/31/1970 -- Brandt kills UID, DeFreitas kills Carmichael

* 12/31/1970 -- James Gardner summoned to help bury Carmichael & UID

Either Jane Doe met Carmichael between October (when Carmichael escaped) and December (when she showed up with him in CT), or they knew each other somehow from before Carmichael was incarcerated.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/brosley_mary.html

They say the victim is between eighteen and thirty years old. This missing person was thirty-three when she went missing. There is not much "family" details on her. It says she lived with her family but does not state if the family is parents, or husband and children. I find it strange that she would sometimes use the middle name Christine when her name was Mary Gertrude. Missing June 12, 1970. Isn't that around the time Carmichael escaped and went on the run? The height is right the weight would be off.

Interesting possibility. I have always thought our UID was closer to her early 20s, but I can't remember if I read that somewhere or it's just my interpretation. The metal plate in Mary's hip gives me pause, though.

Yes I always thought of her in her twenties because Carmichael was. Another thing that throws me off is that they describe her as medium build but she was 100-110 at five four. That would seem like someone is is built small not medium. I really wish they could have done a cast of her skull instead of just relying on people's opinion of what she looked like. This Mary had the tip of her pinkie finger cut off as well as the plate in her hip. But after four years of being buried I'm not sure how they would be able to tell if there was a plate in her hip and the skin not being on her hand they wouldn't be able to tell if part of her pinky was missing.

Yeah, I don't think they would be able to tell about her finger. With the plate, I guess it depends on the state of her remains. She was found in a swampy area, IIRC. It drives me crazy that we only have a very vague sketch to go by. Thanks for bumping up this case. I did a quick search and couldn't find much on Mary, but I think she's worth a closer look.

What makes it hard is that there is a town call Broseley, her name is spelled Brosley, so you get a lot about this town. There is a Ruth Brosley in the LDS site, wondering if maybe that would be her mother. I also left a message asking them if they can rule her out or not. There is also a thread on here for Mary but not much information.

Quote: FiveFelines - "Oct 16, 1968: GC robs bank in Brockton, MA. When arrested, he gives his address as 506 E. 7th-St., South Boston, MA"

This address is only 5.3 miles from where I think Mary lived in 1970, I think her mother's name was Ruth.

Quote: FiveFelines - "Oct 16, 1968: GC robs bank in Brockton, MA. When arrested, he gives his address as 506 E. 7th-St., South Boston, MA"

This address is only 5.3 miles from where I think Mary lived in 1970, I think her mother's name was Ruth.

Whoa.

a few thoughts:

1. a lot fits with mary, but i am leaning toward it not being her because of the metal plate in her hip. the NamUs listing says they recovered a complete or near complete skeleton, and that the UID was wrapped in a blanket before she was dumped, which makes me think most of her body would remain in tact, or at least contained. it seems like the plate would have been recovered, or the absence of it notable?

2. the geography is interesting though! maybe there is something to this line of thought. though i live in boston now, i am not old enough to know much about boston in the 60s/70s. my uncle who is in his mid-50s, however, likes to talk about how he spent his teen years hanging out in the city. the area where the playboy club sat was apparently not the greatest part of town. what we now call the theater district, he still refers to as "the combat zone" and i think that club and bus terminal were right on the perimeter of that area. from his descriptions, it seems like a place that carmichael might frequent, when not in jail, and where a young woman could vanish without many people noticing.

3. i still think of the phone bill from their hotel room and wonder what kind of clues that may have given if they had modern technology back then. i recall there being calls to pennsylvania and i think delaware, which makes me wonder if this girl had roots in one of those places as well as NYC or wherever they first met.

rambling done :)

I thought the combat zone was the Kenmore Square area? Even in the 80's when we moved here, it was a somewhat dicey area and if you went to a baseball game at Fenway Park, you wanted to be careful which direction you went when you left. There used to be a string of clubs all down Landsdowne Street to Boylston.

The theater district wasn't very good either. Boston as a whole has changed drastically. Now we think nothing of going all over town at all hours looking for a restaurant or a cute shop.

Beacon Street is near Fenway Park, right? Still working on trying to find out if Mary was related to a Ruth Brosley who lived on Beacon street, all though Mary went missing from Palmer Mass. She visited relatives there often, wonder who those relatives were. I don't think Palmer is near where Carmichael lived though.

crazy! my husband lived right across the street from that school in Somerville when we first started dating a few years ago! it's no longer a junior high though, now its called "winter hill community school" or something to that effect.

not sure when the change was made, but we still live nearby, so if there is any in person sleuthing we need to rule out the somerville location, I can do it!

ETA: According to Wikipedia (hopefully I can quote that source?)

So it could have likely opened in 1917!

This is THE Winter Hill, the heart of Boston gangland activity for many, many years. Whitey Bulger and all those guys. This article isn't very good but it names a lot of the names: Winter Hill Gang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It would not be at all surprising that a girl from that area would wind up working in professional crime.

Are Carmichael and his friends associated with any of the gangs? It sounds like they're more freelancers.

I thought the combat zone was the Kenmore Square area? Even in the 80's when we moved here, it was a somewhat dicey area and if you went to a baseball game at Fenway Park, you wanted to be careful which direction you went when you left. There used to be a string of clubs all down Landsdowne Street to Boylston.

The theater district wasn't very good either. Boston as a whole has changed drastically. Now we think nothing of going all over town at all hours looking for a restaurant or a cute shop.

The Combat Zone was the theater district/Chinatown.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viki Cowan
Back