Identified! CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Beacon Street is near Fenway Park, right? Still working on trying to find out if Mary was related to a Ruth Brosley who lived on Beacon street, all thought Mary went missing from Palmer Mass. She visited relatives there often, wonder who those relatives were. I don't think Palmer is near where Carmichael lived though.

Depends what part of Beacon Street. Do you know what street # it was?

Re Palmer: It's nowhere near where Carmichael lived, but it IS somewhat en route to Hartford if you're coming from Eastern MA.

Beacon Street is near Fenway Park, right? Still working on trying to find out if Mary was related to a Ruth Brosley who lived on Beacon street, all thought Mary went missing from Palmer Mass. She visited relatives there often, wonder who those relatives were. I don't think Palmer is near where Carmichael lived though.

Yes, real close: https://goo.gl/maps/Rar2C

It runs clear through town, though, so some parts are farther than others.

Thanks. I guess the guy who owns the bar at Kenmore didn't know what he was talking about.

Well, to be fair, Kenmore Sq area/Fenway wasn't exactly safe back then either. Here's the definition of the Combat Zone. I went to Emerson in the early '90s, and it was a HUGE deal when they moved the dorms over there. The Naked I, the sex shops, etc. were still around then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Zone,_Boston

Depends what part of Beacon Street. Do you know what street # it was?

Re Palmer: It's nowhere near where Carmichael lived, but it IS somewhat en route to Hartford if you're coming from Eastern MA.

220 Beacon Street, Ruth M. Brosley passed away in 2004, looks like Ruth had a sister named Rebecca M. Brosley and I also found a Joseph Brosley from Fairfield CT but do not know if he was related to the above people. There is a DNA sample for Mary, so some relative must have submitted a sample. We don't have any DNA on the victim though, so not sure how that would help anyway.

I know the thing that throws me off is the fact that when they dug up the remains no plate was mentioned in the findings, and of course something like that would be visible since it would be in the blanket. I do know that law enforcement keeps some things to themselves, I would think they would have stated if they had found a plate, but who knows. Part of having a positive ID would be having someone come to them with information that has not been known to the public. I left a message with Namus but no one returned my call. If anything, if it does get checked out at least they will be able to do a "rule out" for Mary.

220 Beacon Street, Ruth M. Brosley passed away in 2004, looks like Ruth had a sister named Rebecca M. Brosley and I also found a Joseph Brosley from Fairfield CT but do not know if he was related to the above people. There is a DNA sample for Mary, so some relative must have submitted a sample. We don't have any DNA on the victim though, so not sure how that would help anyway.

I know the thing that throws me off is the fact that when they dug up the remains no plate was mentioned in the findings, and of course something like that would be visible since it would be in the blanket. I do know that law enforcement keeps some things to themselves, I would think they would have stated if they had found a plate, but who knows. Part of having a positive ID would be having someone come to them with information that has not been known to the public. I left a message with Namus but no one returned my call. If anything, if it does get checked out at least they will be able to do a "rule out" for Mary.

That address is a little farther towards downtown, in a much better part of town, but still fairly close: https://goo.gl/maps/v1qpq
https://goo.gl/maps/v1qpq

That address is in Back Bay. Much better area.

ETA: actually closer to the Combat Zone, though.

This is THE Winter Hill, the heart of Boston gangland activity for many, many years. Whitey Bulger and all those guys. This article isn't very good but it names a lot of the names: Winter Hill Gang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It would not be at all surprising that a girl from that area would wind up working in professional crime.

Are Carmichael and his friends associated with any of the gangs? It sounds like they're more freelancers.

Initially, I thought they were just a little gang on their own, but after reading about the trial and all the news reports posted on this thread... I definitely believe Carmichael and his pals were connected to bigger fishies in the mob pool. Who and how... :dunno:

So far I have called five different numbers in the Boston area, trying to find an incident report on Mary. I'm trying to find out who it was that actually reported her missing. I have to give a thumbs up to the people from Boston that I have talked to, they actually return your calls, very friendly and helpful.

Probably on the wrong track with this Mary thing, searching on ancestry, found out she was married to a man by the name of John so most likely she is not connected to Carmichael, figured it was worth a shot though.

Searching for people's identities is mostly red herrings and dead ends. It was a good idea and a good search. Nice work.

Thanks carbuff :) She does have a thread on WS so I put the information I found out about her on her thread.

thanks for doing all that legwork! one more rule-out means one step closer to a name for her, and hopefully to Mary's family getting closure too!

A friend of mine who grew up in the area suggests that possibly the reason this woman can't be matched up with a missing report is that her family knew where she was and who she was with, and is well aware she died. But there's an ethic in that part of the culture that says you don't talk to police, partly because that's not how it's done and partly because even filing a missing persons report could be dangerous.

Received an e-mail reply from Namus, they are in the process of cross checking our victim with Mary, she said it may take a while.

Received an e-mail back from NamUs, "they are unable to conclusively compare these two cases at this time". I am now wondering, with Mary's case, if they can't find her original records. She lived in Boston, but went missing in Palmer.

As for our Carmichael victim, I'm wondering if there may be missing information from her file as well. I think if they had all the information on her they would be able to at least check to see if a metal hip plate was found in the blanket to eliminate Mary. But then again could the blanket have deteriorated before they were exhumed. The cloths looked in pretty good shape though for being buried for four years. My guess is that there is missing facts from her case.

i thought the clothes that are pictured in NamUs were not the ones she was buried with but were found in the possession of Defreitas' girlfriend and were determined to have belonged to the UiD. am i remembering that wrong? i am 8 months pregnant, so remembering anything is an accomplishment these days!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xhononibb
Back