Cyndy Short Press Conference~31 October 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Whether or not they are guilty, they need a lawyer of Tacopina's abilities under these circumstances. This is a very strange case which is why I am very interested in it, having been involved in very complicated international parental kidnapping cases in the past.
Tacopina is acting as a victim's lawyer to bridge the gap between the clients and law enforcement and to keep them informed about the process and as a defense lawyer to protect them from over-zealous LE.
I don't know all of the details of what he is doing, but he states he is working closely with the FBI (the FBI is not complaining), he is rescheduling the children's interviews that had been cancelled by CS, he has his clients' confidence as they decided to continue with him and he is curtailing the media involvement in this case. He has counseled his clients to cooperate as legally advisable.
These are all good things. Neither of his clients have been described as "suspects" or "persons of interest." There is a missing infant, there are several witnesses to a baby having been seen with a man that night and no ransom has been demanded that we know of. This could be a very delicate situation to bring someone forward. I go with a tough, highly experienced lawyer with a strong relationship with the FBI.

Exactly! And he has a track record of being a victims advocate as well as criminal defense attorney, He represented Annie Le's family and Imette St. Guillen's (both high profile murders) as such when the perps were caught.

My opinion of the whole "pot and kettle" thing.

Yes, CS was calling the media *advertiser censored* out... on TV in a press conference. But she was on local TV not national media time. She was talking to the community that actually has more than just a passing interest in this investigation. These are the people who will be calling in tips. Donating community funds to this family. Sitting on the jury when this all comes to trial. She was actively trying to bridge the gulf between this community, LE and this family. Local media is the only way to do this. She was not on the Today Show or Good Morning America.

I see the difference between the two lawyers. If I were choosing I suppose it would depend on what my real concern is....

Question: YOUR BABY HAS JUST BEEN KIDNAPPED! You seek assistance and are presented with two different options:
1. A local attorney who has a high degree of care for you and your rights. She shows a great deal of compassion for your predicament, and is very concerned about your baby and wants to do everything possible to use the media and find her. Her legal reputation is stellar, she is easy to talk to, friendly, and has compiled a staff of seventeen just for this case. She has even offerred to do all of this for free. Above all else, she feels you are INNOCENT and wants to help you find your baby.
2. An out-of-state attorney has offered his services as well. He is considered the most hated lawyer in New York. He has a 40 foot yacht, a Mazerati, 5,000 dollar suits and has gotten killers off like Joran Vandersloot, to name just one example. He is a <modsnip>. He has spent the majority of time in Rome since on the case to search for your baby, and given numerous interviews to national media and appears to be after as much face time as he can get. He from all appearances appears to be handling your case as if your were GUILTY, and preparing for your defense to get you off murder charges.
Which do you choose?

ITA with everything you say with just one clarification.

He didn't get JVDS off. He represented JVDS in the civil case here that NH's family brought against him. BUT that case wasn't really a win, it never went to trial, it was dismissed simply because of jurisdiction. Other than that JT gave interviews telling everyone how wonderful JVDS really was.

MOO CS is a woman "scorned" who had to get the last word in. She did so, while trying to paint herself in a good light.

She could have gone on to look for Baby Lisa, discreetly. She is a very smart woman, and defense attorney's that have had high profile cases, like CS and JT, have huge egos. MOO

a very good and perhaps very telling post! ETA .. but both of these attorneys fully seem to expect this case to land in a courtroom, with one of their clients being the charged party...

Right! Two very different attorneys see the same thing.

Things that make you go Hummm!

I just listened to the video gliving posted and I think one main point of this conference was to make amends and to endear herself (and the family?) to the local community. She mentioned the community often enough to make it clear that this aspect was really important to her and it was probably one of the points of contention.

MOO CS is a woman "scorned" who had to get the last word in. She did so, while trying to paint herself in a good light.

She could have gone on to look for Baby Lisa, discreetly. She is a very smart woman, and defense attorney's that have had high profile cases, like CS and JT, have huge egos. MOO

BBM: HUGE EGOS : IMO ... THAT is what this 'presser' was all about today ...

:waitasec: Baby who ? omg ... I just wanted to :banghead: :banghead: every time she said "STOLEN" and "little girl" ...

:( It is just so sad that Baby Lisa has gotten totally "lost" in all the attorney spin for DB and JI -- and now their OWN EGOS ... and BS ...

MOO ...

I just listened to the video gliving posted and I think one main point of this conference was to make amends and to endear herself (and the family?) to the local community. She mentioned the community often enough to make it clear that this aspect was really important to her and it was probably one of the points of contention.

Sadly, CS made very little mention of "Lisa" other than that "the baby was stolen". I was practically shouting at the live-stream: The "stolen" baby has a name. Her name is LISA. jmo

Since I cannot see or hear the presser video, nor the live version, was there a big poster of Lisa at this presser so everyone could see it?

Since I cannot see or hear the presser video, nor the live version, was there a big poster of Lisa at this presser so everyone could see it?

NOPE ... NADA ... NOTHING ... FOR BABY LISA ! NO PICTURES OF THIS BABY !

hmmm ... very TELLING IMO !

:banghead::maddening::banghead:

MOO..

BBM. I'd say that train has left the station. I spent a couple hours reading through comments to the local news stories and it isn't pretty. Getting uglier as each day of perceived hiding passes.

Having a press conference to bash the lead counsel is pretty juvenile and unprofessional IMO. JT may be aggressive and at times obnoxious, but if you were in a heap of trouble, you would want him. He is a superb litigator and strategist and, like all great litigators, a control freak.

Where was the bashing? She explained why she and JT parted ways and she said it very gently......she saw the writing on the wall.....she was going to have all the work ( example...while he was in Rome) and he was going to have all of the media glory and call the shots from behind the scene........bet she is glad it turned out this way for her..she is a very respectable, professional woman IMO! :)

Cyndy Short had a legitimate reason for this press conference. Her reputation!

There is no doubt in my mind that JT represented her work with him on this case in a manner that was acceptable to her or she would never have joined the case. JT knew what and how to get her interested while he had no plans for her to really get involved. Dishonest, yes but not unusual for a defense lawyer! He also needed a hands-on attorney while he was out of the country.

Once Cyndy Short got involved, she realized the depth of local damage that had to be cleared. Local support is a necessity - bringing big wig anybodies in does not set well in a community. She came into the case when it seemed daily new happenings were occurring, so she has been on a non-stop path working with DB & JI. They knew she was on their side. She spoke to them in language they understood, not at them where they did not know exactly what JT was telling them, imo.

Deborah is google eyed over JT, big time lawyer from NY to represent her :)
Jeremy is intimidated by JT, and loves Cyndi Short as she is calm and he trusts her. Each person has their own opinon.

Do you know what it feels like to be fired? For Cyndi Short to be let go, fired,
from a national case is a big slap in the face!! I can gurantee you that
what went on behind the scenes between her & JT was ugly. She was used and abused in the legal field by JT and she spoke up in a respectable manner!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue210
Back