Dad Refuses to Give Up Newborn Son With Down Syndrome

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You might not like it, but it doesn't change the fact that the child automatically qualifies for disability. Starting from birth.

I never said I didn't like it. Getting SS for a child is different then acting like having a child with DS is the end of the world and you need the world to fund you.

IT may qualify you for benefits but at this point it is a baby that eats sleeps and poops. It does not need intervention or education or job planning.

So getting the disability benefits for an infant is fine? Getting a lot of donations is a big no-no? People donated because they wanted to.

I never said I didn't like it. Getting SS for a child is different then acting like having a child with DS is the end of the world and you need the world to fund you.

Where do you think SS money is coming from?

Yet hundreds of thousand of mothers are left to raise their children alone, disabled or not, when the fathers bail out. Why aren't they in the news as well?

As someone who will try to conceive this year, I have given some thought to what I would do if there were something wrong with the baby. I would most definitely abort, or, if their issues are undetected until birth, put the baby up for adoption.

I think I am capable of raising a child with physical problems, but I know I would be an awful mother to a kid with mental disabilities. It would eat at me every day, and probably make me end up in a very dark place.

This case is in the news not because he chose to raise his child but because he was given almost a Sophie's choice- stay with the wife he's loved and made a life with in her country, or immediately lose her, not even a chance to say goodbye, leave the life he's had and country he made that life in, return to his home country where he has no job and no housing and raise the son he just met five minutes ago.

That's pretty intense. It's newsworthy. The choice, the different nations involved, the child's difference and the out pouring of incredible support from people worldwide who felt for the man who chose to protect an innocent baby rather than the life he'd known, that's what makes the story.

She not only abandoned the child, she divorced her husband. Imo the only one she loved in that marriage was herself. Yes bio moms are held to a much higher standard as it should be. In the animal kingdom, newborns are totally dependant on the bio mom to feed, nurture and love them.

When moms give birth , a love drug called oxytocin is released in the brain causing mama to feel a rush of pure, euphoric love for her squalling infant. Dads don't have that. You bet moms are held to a higher standard!

He is not armenian.. And It does not matter. I don't care about culture or whatever. It is his child. You raise your children. In this country in its past many parents also put their kids up for adoption when they had downs or other conditions the parents did not want people to know about.

He is being a parent.. that is it. I don't think we should praise someone for doing the job they are supposed to do.

Hes being praised for making a difficult choice -between the child he's never met who has disabilities and his wife and life. Being a parent in this case also means losing EVERYTHING he's had- his mate, his support system, his home. Everyone's life changes irrevocably when they have a child but this is sad.

And i I think most of what people are feeling is sorrow for him- that he had to make such a choice. So people are trying to make him feel good about his choice and the loss he suffered.

For all we know, their relationship was on the rocks, and he doesn't feel that bad about having to leave her. I am sure he is using the hundreds of thousands of dollars he has received to wipe away any tears.

This case is in the news not because he chose to raise his child but because he was given almost a Sophie's choice- stay with the wife he's loved and made a life with in her country, or immediately lose her, not even a chance to say goodbye, leave the life he's had and country he made that life in, return to his home country where he has no job and no housing and raise the son he just met five minutes ago.

That's pretty intense. It's newsworthy. The choice, the different nations involved, the child's difference and the out pouring of incredible support from people worldwide who felt for the man who chose to protect an innocent baby rather than the life he'd known, that's what makes the story.

When moms give birth , a love drug called oxytocin is released in the brain causing mama to feel a rush of pure, euphoric love for her squalling infant. Dads don't have that. You bet moms are held to a higher standard!

Hes being praised for making a difficult choice -between the child he's never met who has disabilities and his wife and life. Being a parent in this case also means losing EVERYTHING he's had- his mate, his support system, his home. Everyone's life changes irrevocably when they have a child but this is sad.

And i I think most of what people are feeling is sorrow for him- that he had to make such a choice. So people are trying to make him feel good about his choice and the loss he suffered.

If that is even true. Do you know how many women have children and their husbands bolt? I just think the whole thing is ridiculous.

You are completely over-thinking this. People are getting divorces every day. Nothing said he loved his wife too much, or that he was heartbroken over their separation. He moved from a poor country to Australia, and went for state benefits at once, not to mention endless amounts of public support. Like I said, don't see why this is newsworthy - a family split and one parent raises the child.

You are completely over-thinking this. People are getting divorces every day. Nothing said he loved his wife too much, or that he was heartbroken over their separation. He moved from a poor country to Australia, and went for state benefits at once, not to mention endless amounts of public support. Like I said, don't see why this is newsworthy - a family split and one parent raises the child.

Parents don't abandon their disabled newborns every day, which is why this story is newsworthy. An Australian couple abandoned one of their twins born with DS and contributions came from around the world. Any parent who would abandon their child so that strangers will have to care for them are incredibly selfish cowards, imo.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wins-abandoned-Downs-Syndrome-baby-Gammy.html

Children with Down syndrome often have health problems. So that isn't accurate to say that he won't need anything different than a healthy child.

" Children with Down syndrome can have a variety of complications, some of which become more prominent as they get older, such as:
Heart defects. About half the children with Down syndrome are born with some type of heart defect. These heart problems can be life-threatening and may require surgery in early infancy.
•Leukemia. Young children with Down syndrome have an increased risk of leukemia.
•Infectious diseases. Because of abnormalities in their immune systems, those with Down syndrome are much more at risk of infectious diseases, such as pneumonia."

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/down-syndrome/basics/complications/con-20020948

Not to mention, every child with downs needs intensive early intervention to ensure he or she will be as functioning as possible. Kids with downs have muscle tone issues, speech issues, cognition challenges, etc. It's no cakewalk.

So basically it'd be better for him to be struggling than getting a nice chunk of change through donations? He doesn't seem to think so.

Yeah, I don't get this. I also don't think people realize how costly it is to relocate from one country to another. And if he wanted to maximize his son's potential how could he do so as a single, divorced dad in an underdeveloped nation with zero support system and no services for kids with special needs? Should he beg on the street for pennies?

BBM.

Well, I don't think this is a particularly good or accurate comparison. In the "animal kingdom", there are very few "Finding Nemo" stories, and the norm is more "Circle of Life." Overwhelmingly, mammals kill or abandon weak, sick, deformed, and "disabled" offspring. Survival of the fittest, and all that.

"Finding Nemo" is anthropomorphism-- most animals in the wild don't have the capacity for responsibility and compassion. They operate on instinct.

Yes and.no. No to animals in the wild lack the capacity for compassion or resnponibility. Totally false. Elephants, crows, dogs, sea mammals, primates- story after story of grieving, refusing to leave the dying or dead, working in concert to rescue another, raising the abandoned, returning to the site of a death every year for years, etc.

They are not much different from us. Leo's mom just happened to be the type that eats her young.

If this was a woman who did not have any money or means to raise a child, can you imagine the names she would be called? There would be no fund for her.

Our society doesn't call such women names- we give them welfare. I think many are failing to understand the extraordinary costs of relocating from one country to another.

I note a tone of jealousy perhaps because so many of us struggled without assistance.

Im not jealous. I'm ecstatic for this man and his son. And I think it send a powerful message to people from cultures who discard any child with a difference or disability. I hope the woman sees how much he is raising and feels awe and shame. No pass from me, btw, due to culture and resources there. She didn't even blink. Her ultimatum was immediate, ruthless and cruel.

How much you want to bet, though, that she starts seeing the amount as suddenly has a "change" of heart?

The child does not have a disability. He is an infant that needs to be fed and changed and loved. That is all. Just like the rest of the babies in the world. Get an apt. Do what you have to. Many women do it alone without fund me's.
He needs a job and a plan.

I don't even know what to say to this. I think the sky's the limit for kids with Down syndrome but to say they aren't challenged wth a disability that requires serious intervention is incredibly ignorant, IMO.

You might not like it, but it doesn't change the fact that the child automatically qualifies for disability. Starting from birth.

Right. And they often qualify for services from birth on due to the disability:

What is early intervention?

Early intervention is a systematic program of therapy, exercises, and activities designed to address developmental delays that children with Down syndrome or other disabilities encounter. These services are mandated by a A federal law called the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires that states provide early intervention services for all children who qualify, with the goal of enhancing the development of infants and toddlers and helping families understand and meet the needs of their children. The most common early intervention services for babies with Down syndrome are physical therapy, speech and language therapy, and occupational therapy.

When should early intervention start?

Early intervention should begin shortly after birth, and usually continues until the child reaches age three. An amendment to IDEA in 2004 allows states to have early intervention programs that continue until the child enters, or is eligible to enter, kindergarten. The sooner early intervention begins, the better, but it's never too late to start.

http://www.parents.com/health/down-syndrome/early-intervention-for-down-syndrome/

I bet every with with a disabled child knows though that what the government provides is never enough. And the more intervention a child receives, the farther he will go.

I'm over thinking this? It should be assumed that a person is heartbroken when their spouse suddenly announces a divorce. Especially over something like a decision to keep a child with disabilities. Are you kidding me?

What part of filing for divorce immediately, and not allowing him back in the family home with Leo, is hard to understand? That's horrible and heartbreaking. I'm shocked at how little marriage and family seem to mean to some. And I'm a DIVORCE attorney saying this. Geesh.

I just see this as a story where the world comes together to demonize a woman.

A woman gives birth to a baby with down syndrome---and the father decides he doesn't want to be part of their lives anymore. I wonder how much support she would get?

Badalyan wrote that she spent several hours after her son's birth trying to decide on his "best destiny." She said that Forrest accepted that their son's interest should be first and that "only his move to another country could remedy the situation."

Calls to Badalyan and Forrest have not yet been returned.

While Forrest said that his wife gave him an ultimatum after learning their son had Down syndrome, Badalyan said her husband did not support her while she weighed the decision.

"In the hardest moment of my life when my husband should be next to me and support and help to take the right decision, I could not find any support from his side," she wrote. "After that incident, he left the hospital notifying me hours later that he was taking the kid with him, that he is going to leave the country for New Zealand and I do not have anything to do with the situation. Without giving me any option and trying to find with me any solution in this hardest situation, he started to circulate the story on every possible platform without even trying to give me a voice accusing that I put him an ultimatum marriage or the baby, which is absolutely not true. I tried several times to communicate but he never tried to listen me and to find common solutions. The only response was the accusation from his part.

Forrest, who plans to take Leo to his native New Zealand, said Badalyan filed for divorce one week after Leo's birth.

"Sam has never suggested joining him and bringing up the child together in his country," wrote Badalyan. "Neither did he tell me anything on the day we filed for divorce. The only thing he kept saying was that he didn't want us to separate, whereas my question what we should do always remained unanswered."

"As a mother who has faced this severe situation, being in the hospital under stress and depression, experiencing enormous pressure from every side, not finding any support from my husband’s part on any possibilities of giving a child decent life in Armenia, I faced two options: to take care of the child on my own in Armenia, or to abandon my maternal instincts and extend the baby an opportunity to enjoy a decent life with his father in New Zealand. I went for the second option," she continued.

https://gma.yahoo.com/woman-defends...ve-newborn-191921642--abc-news-parenting.html

A woman gives birth to a baby with down syndrome---and the father decides he doesn't want to be part of their lives anymore. I wonder how much support she would get?

None, cause apparently she got the bonding hormone when she gave birth, so it's not her credit at all.

How much support would the father get in that situation? Would people be saying that we should understand him? Somehow I doubt it.

I just see this as a story where the world comes together to demonize a woman.

I see it as a story where the world comes together to support a father and son.

Probably a lot. $100,000.00 was raised for the SURROGATE who chose to keep the child she carried who has down syndrome, after his parents abandoned him: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...o-thai-surrogate/story-fnet08ck-1227009760126

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back