Dad Refuses to Give Up Newborn Son With Down Syndrome

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here is what gets me. Do you know how many people raise kids on their own? Children with disabilities or diseases? This guy has gall IMO.

You are so happy you have your son then raise him like the rest of the world does.

Gah.

Money does not buy happiness! This woman made her true feelings known after the diagnosis of her son. Raising children is a full time job and one has to be willing to be on call basically for the next 18 years. It is doubtful that she has what it takes to raise her child with special needs. The money will not buy luxury items or trips as we all know. She is in for a shocking surprise if she thinks the money will pay for a full time caretaker.

Her hubby and Leo will be much happier if they continue forward without her. He sounds like a very loving and caring father.

My opinions only!

Why does the same guy has two children with Down syndrome? I thought mother's age was mostly to blame for the condition?
He was ex-communicated from the church, preventing contact with his family and his parents.
No wonder he had no relatives to help him to even get a ticket back to New Zealand.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11400088

My guess would be that the dad may have some kind of balanced translocation that explains why two of his children have trisomy 21. Perhaps he even knew that from undergoing genetic counseling after the birth of his daughter.

Here is some information on the religious group father was a member of until he was ex-communicated. Sounds like he would have been cut off from all the members of his family and his other relatives. No wonder he had no support available from New Zealand.

"Addressing the frequently asked question, "Do the Brethren break up families?" on their website, the Brethren reply: "The Brethren as a group hate the break up of families. However adherence to the doctrine of separation prevents normal relations between family members when one of them leaves the fellowship. Where family breakdown occurs this is always tragic, however this usually occurs when sin brings in irreconcilable difference.""

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/subdivisions/exclusivebrethren_1.shtml

My guess would be that the dad may have some kind of balanced translocation that explains why two of his children have trisomy 21. Perhaps he even knew that from undergoing genetic counseling after the birth of his daughter.

Somehow I doubt he was getting genetic counseling. This doesn't like a very progressive religion to me.

"Growing up in the Exclusive Brethren meant missing out on a lot of things other children took for granted. It meant no TV, radio or recorded music, no pets, parties, school outings, plays or sports, no cinema, novels, magazines, no make-up or haircuts, and strict clothing rules. I was used to living a life different from those of my friends."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/jun/02/familyandrelationships.features

I wonder if he shared with his Armenian wife that he had other children from a previous marriage, and that one of them has Down Syndrome.

I wonder if he shared with his Armenian wife that he had other children from a previous marriage, and that one of them has Down Syndrome.

Whether he did or didn't , I don't see how he could have known it was going to happen again. Most cases are not inherited. And abnormality usually occurs in egg cells (meaning it comes from the mother). Pretty rate for it to be coming from the father.

"Most cases of Down syndrome are not inherited. When the condition is caused by trisomy 21, the chromosomal abnormality occurs as a random event during the formation of reproductive cells in a parent. The abnormality usually occurs in egg cells, but it occasionally occurs in sperm cells. An error in cell division called nondisjunction results in a reproductive cell with an abnormal number of chromosomes. For example, an egg or sperm cell may gain an extra copy of chromosome 21. If one of these atypical reproductive cells contributes to the genetic makeup of a child, the child will have an extra chromosome 21 in each of the body's cells."

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/down-syndrome

Whether he did or didn't , I don't see how he could have known it was going to happen again. Most cases are not inherited. And abnormality usually occurs in egg cells (meaning it comes from the mother). Pretty rate for it to be coming from the father.

"Most cases of Down syndrome are not inherited. When the condition is caused by trisomy 21, the chromosomal abnormality occurs as a random event during the formation of reproductive cells in a parent. The abnormality usually occurs in egg cells, but it occasionally occurs in sperm cells. An error in cell division called nondisjunction results in a reproductive cell with an abnormal number of chromosomes. For example, an egg or sperm cell may gain an extra copy of chromosome 21. If one of these atypical reproductive cells contributes to the genetic makeup of a child, the child will have an extra chromosome 21 in each of the body's cells."

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/down-syndrome

Yes, I'm aware of that. I just wonder how much of his history he shared with his new bride. Because from BOTH of their stories, it sure doesn't sound like she knew much about his previous religion and their shunning practices, his excommunication, his previous wife and kids, etc.

The more that comes out about this story, the more I think there is a lot more that is significant and relevant that hasn't been told. The story is not a simple as it was initially presented. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the birth mom truly knew she was carrying a DS child. There are layers to this story that we won't ever peel back, IMO.

I fail to see how you could possibly know what he did or didn't tell his wife. They somehow met even though she is in Armenia and he is from New Zealand. I would image she at the very least asked why he ended up in Armenia. Has it even been reported anywhere as to what religion she is?
As for her knowing she was carrying DS child, it certainly doesn't appear she had any clue.
It sounds like the first time she found out was in the hospital. However, I have no idea what that has to do with anything.
What exactly is relevant to the fact that he has a child with Down syndrome to raise? Mother admits she didn't want to keep the child.

I fail to see how you could possibly know what he did or didn't tell his wife.

BBM and snipped for relevance.

I don't know what he did or didn't tell his second wife. My posts clearly say "I wonder...." My "I'm aware" comment is related to the medical info in your post.

Her alleged comments indicate that she was told by him that they were going back to NZ with Leo because that's where it was best for Leo. I don't disagree with that, if that statement is true that the bio-dad told bio-mom that. Bio-mom now says she wanted to stay in Armenia, even with all of the social and economic problems. So I have to speculate and wonder what bio-mom knew about bio-dad's family in NZ, and his first wife and kids. Maybe she knew all of it, but maybe not. If that article is true, he wouldn't be returning to the open arms and welcoming support of his previous family. He'd be starting all over again.

But no question that NZ is a much better situation for Leo than Armenia, purely from the perspective of options, medical care, therapies, and social welfare benefits.

Her statement doesn't mention anything about his family waiting to help him. By the look of it, he isn't going to get support from his previous family or his parents, so no wonder he felt donations were his only option. Even if she knew that his previous child had Down syndrome, seems the idea that his genes were possibly at fault wouldn't occur to either of them. Down syndrome is usually not inherited, it occurs due to a random event, and egg (comes from the mother) is usually responsible.

She's talking out of both sides of her mouth- "oh, I couldn't raise my child with special needs but Samuel never asked me to leave with him."

Yeah, if you give your husband an ultimatum and tell him he can't come back to the family home and that you will file for divorce if he keeps the child, and then you actually file for divorce a week later, as promised, isn't it to be expected that he would take the child back to his home country and that you wouldn't be a part of it?

I just want to point out that some of us predicted that would happen BEFORE she ever said it.

I don't see any real reason to believe the initial story about the arrival and subsequent verbal exchange between the parents was EVER legit. The fact it made its way into the MSM (when one would expect that sort of harrowing personal family issue would remain private) makes it VERY suspect.

My guess is that angelic Samuel may decide it would be best for the baby to have "both parents" (and if he does that may NOT make the MSM).

I don't understand as to what you are trying to say here. From what he says, he believed from the start baby was best with both parents. But mother didn't want to keep the child because of Down syndrome.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back