Darlie Routier asks for DNA testing

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow..I just realized that the mixtures only say that Damon, Devon, and Darin are excluded from the MAJOR component, so they are not excluded on the minor component. I think maybe Cami was trying to point that out to me earlier, I must need sleep lol

That's right Steel, that's what I was trying to say, I know I confused myself, LOL. They are not excluded from the minor component.

Thank you, Cami. I certainly find the reports confusing, but I admit that I have not done much homework cross referencing the numbers against the original.

For me, I just needed to confirm that the DNA profile in the minor component isn't necessarily blood.

I knew right away but only due to the fact that I have the original DNA tests here, I printed them from Darlie's website. As soon as I saw those numbers, I knew those two hairs were a facial hair and a pubic hair. As for the bloody shirt cuttings, those item numbers are a bit difficult so I wasn't absolutely sure.

Read the results starting at the bottom of page 3 about the blood and the major and minor contributors.

I have and I believe you have misinterpreted the results. Yes Darlie is the major contributor but it clearly states "no comparisons could be made on the minor components" so to state the Routiers are excluded and the alleged intruder had to be bleeding is quite a leap on your part.

Darlie Kee
Yes limb hair on socks were never tested. The hairs tested were facial, but not sure will have to check on that. I thought they were from utility room but not sure.

Wow..I just realized that the mixtures only say that Damon, Devon, and Darin are excluded from the MAJOR component, so they are not excluded on the minor component. I think maybe Cami was trying to point that out to me earlier, I must need sleep lol

I got a concussion, that's my excuse LOL. :loveyou:

Didn't everyone already know that the pubic and facial hair were not from darlie or darin even before this testing?

Didn't everyone already know that the pubic and facial hair were not from darlie or darin even before this testing?

Yep.

So the defense has been fighting for permission to test items for the past 5 years - even though it was already ordered - and just about all they've done so far is test two hairs that we already KNEW did not belong to the Routiers.

What is the dang hold-up? She's not getting any younger and my curiosity is growing by the year. Why the delay in testing the items that might actually belong to the murderer?

I think I know the answer, but doubt her supporters would agree with me.

The DNA was isolated and analyzed using Short Tandem Repeat (STR)
Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) analysis. The results of profiles from 24 of
4 A prior report was submitted on August 20, 2010. See Appendix E.
Case 5:05-cv-01156-FB Document 58 Filed 12/10/13 Page 3 of 7
the 26 cuttings revealed DNA profiles consistent, or partially consistent with
Routier, but excluded the two victims, Damon and Devon Routier, as well as
Darlie’s husband, Darin Routier, as contributors of the profile. One profile
numbered 01-17, was consistent with a mixture of contributors; Routier could
not be excluded a contributor of the major component, while Damon, Devon
and Darin Routier could be excluded. However, no comparisons could be
made on the minor component. Another cutting, numbered 01-19, gave no
interpretable DNA profiles.
DPS also analyzed a cutting from a sock (01-33-AA) found outside the
crime scene residence, which revealed a DNA profile consistent with a
mixture of contributors. Devon Routier was found to be the source of the
major component, but no comparisons could be made to the minor component.
Finally, a stain from the garage door (5-01-AA) was analyzed but no DNA
profiles were obtained.

According to ADA Lisa Smith, additional testing is still under way.
The State agreed to transfer several extracts from Routier’s nightshirt to
UNT for additional analysis—Routier requested a particular kind of
quantification analysis, which DPS does not perform. Once this analysis is
done, the testing ordered by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals (CCA), see
Routier v. State, 273 S.W.3d 241 (2008), will be complete.

We pretty much know that the 1st responders touched her but they wear gloves so the chances are lower that a person on scene touched her leaving behind DNA.

The fact that limb hairs came back with any results is good cause on the federal level the exempt can be overturned.

I do agree amplification is needed if they found any of the markers to match Darlie Darin or the boys they would state they could not be ruled out as contributors of the minor samples.
This sample if it turns out third party could free Darlie and is very hopeful for her family and supporters.

The DNA was isolated and analyzed using Short Tandem Repeat (STR)
Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) analysis. The results of profiles from 24 of
4 A prior report was submitted on August 20, 2010. See Appendix E.
Case 5:05-cv-01156-FB Document 58 Filed 12/10/13 Page 3 of 7
the 26 cuttings revealed DNA profiles consistent, or partially consistent with
Routier, but excluded the two victims, Damon and Devon Routier, as well as
Darlie’s husband, Darin Routier, as contributors of the profile. One profile
numbered 01-17, was consistent with a mixture of contributors; Routier could
not be excluded a contributor of the major component, while Damon, Devon
and Darin Routier could be excluded. However, no comparisons could be
made on the minor component. Another cutting, numbered 01-19, gave no
interpretable DNA profiles.
DPS also analyzed a cutting from a sock (01-33-AA) found outside the
crime scene residence, which revealed a DNA profile consistent with a
mixture of contributors. Devon Routier was found to be the source of the
major component, but no comparisons could be made to the minor component.
Finally, a stain from the garage door (5-01-AA) was analyzed but no DNA
profiles were obtained.

According to ADA Lisa Smith, additional testing is still under way.
The State agreed to transfer several extracts from Routier’s nightshirt to
UNT for additional analysis—Routier requested a particular kind of
quantification analysis, which DPS does not perform. Once this analysis is
done, the testing ordered by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals (CCA), see
Routier v. State, 273 S.W.3d 241 (2008), will be complete.

We pretty much know that the 1st responders touched her but they wear gloves so the chances are lower that a person on scene touched her leaving behind DNA.

The fact that limb hairs came back with any results is good cause on the federal level the exempt can be overturned.

I do agree amplification is needed if they found any of the markers to match Darlie Darin or the boys they would state they could not be ruled out as contributors of the minor samples.
This sample if it turns out third party could free Darlie and is very hopeful for her family and supporters.

Once again, they are not limb hairs, the two hairs are a facial hair and the pubic hair. Darlie Kee herself has confirmed the limb hairs have not been tested.

They have not compared the minor samples, it states that right in the order.

"If it turns out third party" If, if, if

This sample could also nail her coffin shut.

Yep.

So the defense has been fighting for permission to test items for the past 5 years - even though it was already ordered - and just about all they've done so far is test two hairs that we already KNEW did not belong to the Routiers.

What is the dang hold-up? She's not getting any younger and my curiosity is growing by the year. Why the delay in testing the items that might actually belong to the murderer?

I think I know the answer, but doubt her supporters would agree with me.

I think the defence delayed because they knew new legislation was coming on post conviction DNA testing.

I think the defence delayed because they knew new legislation was coming on post conviction DNA testing.

Oh I absolutely agree with you there.

It's funny though. If an intruder did this, you'd think they'd rush to test at least some of the items as soon as possible - instead of Darlie languishing in prison for another 5 years.

Instead of going ahead and testing what's already been approved, she sits on it for 5 years - with the hope that the statute will change and she'll be entitled to more testing.

I'd think she'd want to hurry up and at least test some things. This is the murderer of her kids we're talking about! You'd think she'd do whatever she could to find out who killed those sweet little boys.

But nope. She waits and waits for 5+ years so that she can test even more things - knowing full well that the more items tested, the better chance she has of an errant hair or DNA sample somewhere in the mix of all the physical evidence pointing right back to her.

Makes you wonder, don't you think?

Interesting case. I wonder if some of the belief in her guilt has been due to the fact that there are a lot of female posters here, and females tend to react more strongly to a possible scenario of a mother killing her children. (Also the Casey Anthony effect...it has caused a lot of anger and I've definitely seen that anger get played out in other cases, although I realize this case predates that one.)

I've also been one of those lurkers who assumed that with all the strident voices, she probably did it.

I have been one of the ones who have always had many nagging doubts about this case.

Imo, I think the 'silly string' birthday celebration at the grave got her convicted.

Some found it so reprehensible. I didn't see it that way. I thought it was just another way for a mother to celebrate and honor the life of a child she lost in a horrific way. Yes, it was unconventional perhaps, but I never felt it pointed toward her guilt.

Females seem to be harsher on other females in general. It gets worse when it involves a mother with murdered children, imo. Also if the parent lives through the nightmare and the children or other family members are murdered they tend to be seen as the guilty party almost immediately.

At first there were many who believed Dr. Petit was the one involved in the killing of his family simply because he survived (although attacked) and his family did not.

IMO

I have been one of the ones who have always had many nagging doubts about this case.

Imo, I think the 'silly string' birthday celebration at the grave got her convicted.

Some found it so reprehensible. I didn't see it that way. I thought it was just another way for a mother to celebrate and honor the life of a child she lost in a horrific way. Yes, it was unconventional perhaps, but I never felt it pointed toward her guilt.

Females seem to be harsher on other females in general. It gets worse when it involves a mother with murdered children, imo. Also if the parent lives through the nightmare and the children or other family members are murdered they tend to be seen as the guilty party almost immediately.

At first there were many who believed Dr. Petit was the one involved in the killing of his family simply because he survived (although attacked) and his family did not.

IMO

I don't give the "silly string" incident much weight in proving Darlie's guilt. I'm not sure that the jury did either. The jury was made up of seven women and five men so it wasn't just women deciding this case.

What I do give weight is that her account of what happened doesn't seem to make much sense to me. In other words, I can't understand how she suffered all of the injuries but didn't wake up.

Why did she sleep through this violent attack only to awake from the weak touch and calling out to her by Damon? I don't get it.

Maybe these new tests will help prove Darlie's innocence but I have my doubts.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/women/routier/16.html

I don't give the "silly string" incident much weight in proving Darlie's guilt. I'm not sure that the jury did either. The jury was made up of seven women and five men so it wasn't just women deciding this case.

What I do give weight is that her account of what happened doesn't seem to make much sense to me. In other words, I can't understand how she suffered all of the injuries but didn't wake up.

Why did she sleep through this violent attack only to awake from the weak touch and calling out to her by Damon? I don't get it.

Maybe these new tests will help prove Darlie's innocence but I have my doubts.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/women/routier/16.html

If there were any real evidence that someone other than a Routier was in the house around the time the kids were killed, the technology in the late 90’s was sophisticated enough that the CS experts would have found some. Instead, they found NONE.

The silly string tape was used to impeach her contention she was afraid and that she was grieving. Quite legal and yes it doesn't carry much weight in the face of the evidence used to convict her. Just because Darlie claims she was convicted because of that tape doesn't mean it's true, it means nothing.

The blood spatter evidence is unassailable. Too much of it points to her hands wielding the knife, tipping over the vacuum cleaner, etc.

The vast majority of the forensic evidence supports only one possibility of a killer: Darlie. So much so that 12 jurors saw no reasonable doubt that any one of 5 billion other people on the planet could have entered the house and done what Darlie says happened. What that means is that they all agreed it was impossible for it to have happened any way other than the jury saw it.

Her story is in conflict with the facts in every single detail. Even an Appellate Court agreed with this.

Not only did the jury decide she did it, they also recognized that she lied about enough of the evidence that she couldn’t be believed about anything. She was, and always will be, her own worst enemy.

Hi Vicky! They should, those tests were done a while ago. In fact, I learned about those tests from Lauren Schmidt, one of Darlie's lawyers, in an email over a year ago.

Oh I absolutely agree with you there.

It's funny though. If an intruder did this, you'd think they'd rush to test at least some of the items as soon as possible - instead of Darlie languishing in prison for another 5 years.

Instead of going ahead and testing what's already been approved, she sits on it for 5 years - with the hope that the statute will change and she'll be entitled to more testing.

I'd think she'd want to hurry up and at least test some things. This is the murderer of her kids we're talking about! You'd think she'd do whatever she could to find out who killed those sweet little boys.

But nope. She waits and waits for 5+ years so that she can test even more things - knowing full well that the more items tested, the better chance she has of an errant hair or DNA sample somewhere in the mix of all the physical evidence pointing right back to her.

Makes you wonder, don't you think?

Jeff MacDonald did the same thing and the inevitable happened. The hair turned out to be his, clutched in his dead's wife hand, forcibly removed. Funny how those two cases parallel. To be fair they did stop all testing to test DNA from 9/11 victims for a while, but his were delayed for over seven years I think.

I believe some of the delay was in first of all fighting over what lab to use and fighting to have Elizabeth Johnston, who's name is mud in Texas, observe those tests. But we know how crafty defence attorneys are, they probably knew what was in the wind on the post conviction testing. It just leads me to believe how desperate they are because they were granted permission in 2008 and like you said, what's the wait, why keep her waiting on DR?

Soooo, what criminal mastermind do you see pulling off this horrible tragedy? What criminal mastermind sneaks in, horribly murders two little boys but only assaults the adult in the room?

Some one smart enough to leave and someone who may have known that bleeding at A SCENE IS REASON ENOUGH TO LEAVE.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amber81
Back