GUILTY DC - David Messerschmitt, 30, murdered in Washington hotel room, 9 Feb 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the part that gets me, charminglane. He was wealthy enough that he didn't really need to use Craigslist for a quick hook up. I am guessing he could have wooed someone at the bar during happy hour. A fellow attorney or professional of some sort. Let's face it-he was attractive enough and kept in shape. It can't be that hard for him to find a willing partner of either gender.

I just feel in this day and age how can you want sex that badly to put yourself in harms way?

He was probably shame based, considering he was married. And why do married men do this sort of thing with either sex? The secrecy, the ability to do acts that aren't accepted by their mate, the variety factor, the excitement factor, sexual addiction... the list goes on. One would hope that a person fulfills these fantasies prior to marriage, but in many cases they don't. Or, for all we know, the wife knew about it and turned a blind eye. We don't know.

He was probably shame based, considering he was married. And why do married men do this sort of thing with either sex? The secrecy, the ability to do acts that aren't accepted by their mate, the variety factor, the excitement factor, sexual addiction... the list goes on. One would hope that a person fulfills these fantasies prior to marriage, but in many cases they don't. Or, for all we know, the wife knew about it and turned a blind eye. We don't know.

I have a very good male friend who came out of the closet about 5 years ago after 15 years of marriage to a woman. It still happens.

I wonder if this could have been a gang "initiation" type deal. Go online, lure someone in for possible same sex rendezvous, and then kill them. I've heard of much stranger things happening. I wondered how the police knew where he might have been, but then thought about how his wife might have simply gone online and looked at their bank account information. Unless he had a separate account for such meetings. That would leave me asking how the police knew where to look for him so quickly. Just my thoughts.

Agreed. IMO this was exactly the case. An overachiever. The family pride and joy. Many families, still, do not accept homosexuality. Many homosexuals or bisexuals, still, do not accept themselves. The secrecy and shame can lead to tragic situations. Very sad.

Agreed. IMO this was exactly the case. An overachiever. The family pride and joy. Many families, still, do not accept homosexuality. Many homosexuals or bisexuals, still, do not accept themselves. The secrecy and shame can lead to tragic situations. Very sad.

Not that there is any reason to think this would be the case here, nor do I make any assumptions about David's activities in the hotel room before he was murdered, but part of what drives illicit sex at times, however oriented, is that it is illicit. You know, the way couples role play etc... for the same reason. LE would seem to have more information on motive than has been released that may clarify things.

Not that there is any reason to think this would be the case here, nor do I make any assumptions about David's activities in the hotel room before he was murdered, but part of what drives illicit sex at times, however oriented, is that it is illicit. You know, the way couples role play etc... for the same reason. LE would seem to have more information on motive than has been released that may clarify things.

True, and quite honestly, the only thing that suggests this could be "gay" sex is the enema. But, for all we know, it could just be heterosexual sex and the enema was for his expected female companion. Maybe it (anal sex) was something he desired with a woman and his wife wouldn't do it (personally, can't blame her). Either way, it really does not matter.....I think he was there for sex and it went wrong, either by a hit, or by someone simply taking advantage of him.

True, and quite honestly, the only thing that suggests this could be "gay" sex is the enema. But, for all we know, it could just be heterosexual sex and the enema was for his expected female companion. Maybe it (anal sex) was something he desired with a woman and his wife wouldn't do it (personally, can't blame her). Either way, it really does not matter.....I think he was there for sex and it went wrong, either by a hit, or by someone simply taking advantage of him.

The murderer had a backstabbers advantage, at least, in this case.

The autopsy and crime scene evidence would provide more information: as to whether and how he may have struggled; whether he may have been subdued somehow before being stabbed multiple times in the back; and maybe LE would know more precisely when and what he may have been up to since he checked in. Absent those details, it's difficult to know how it may have gone wrong.

Very true.
I do not mean to assume anything about DM. For all I know it was a set up to humiliate him and/or his loved ones. Regardless, a loss of a brilliant mind and a tragedy for all involved.

I wonder why the perp didn't take DM's cell phone, laptop and credit cards? If this was a set-up (the perp simply intended to rob the victim) why not take anything/everything of value?

I understand the hotel was gay-friendly and seemingly a hip place for hookups. Also, I know it's possible DM had done this before and was familiar with the hotel. However, I am surprised he chose to meet-up at the Donovan - primarily because DM was intelligent and surely was aware of the well-publicized prostitution stings/arrests involving this and other Logan/Thomas Circle hotels over the last few months/weeks. I'm surprised because I feel he would have exercised a higher level of discretion.

I wonder why the perp didn't take DM's cell phone, laptop and credit cards? If this was a set-up (the perp simply intended to rob the victim) why not take anything/everything of value?

I don't (or at least try not to) think like a killer, but those could all be traced back to DM.

And from what I've learned through personal experience, don't let someone's education, their standing in society, religion/politics or anything like that make you think someone wouldn't use such a way (Grind'r, Growl'r, Craigslist, Rentboy, etc) to "hook up" with someone you wouldn't think they'd be "hooking up" with.

There are many of just that type of person that CAN, WILL and probably HAVE done something like that. Especially in a mostly "anonymous" forum.

I don't (or at least try not to) think like a killer, but those could all be traced back to DM.

And from what I've learned through personal experience, don't let someone's education, their standing in society, religion/politics or anything like that make you think someone wouldn't use such a way (Grind'r, Growl'r, Craigslist, Rentboy, etc) to "hook up" with someone you wouldn't think they'd be "hooking up" with.

There are many of just that type of person that CAN, WILL and probably HAVE done something like that. Especially in a mostly "anonymous" forum.

Even if still traceable back to DM, I still believe there's a market for the items.

No. I didn't consider any of those things (education/job/social standing) would eliminate him from a gay hookup... but they might influence him to be a bit more discreet.

Very true.
I do not mean to assume anything about DM. For all I know it was a set up to humiliate him and/or his loved ones. Regardless, a loss of a brilliant mind and a tragedy for all involved.

Whenever I hear that valuables were left behind, my first thought is that it's personal.
MOO

And, why not just whack the victim on the head (render him unconscious) and take his cash? Was the victim killed to prevent him identifying the perp??

IF the perp knew the victim was married (on the dl with his gay hookup activities) then the perp knew it was unlikely the assault/robbery would be reported and thus unlikely for the victim to file charges... so why kill DM?

'Just sharing things I'm wondering about ;)

Whenever I hear that valuables were left behind, my first thought is that it's personal.
MOO

Unless there were bigger valuables like cash taken we don't know about. Then they left things there that could be traced back like cell phone and laptop (by "findme apps") and credit cards with his name on them.

Very well said.
I know many (too many) people who are not "the type". Not the drug addict type. Not the cheating type, and so on. So many who suppress emotions and urges until they are faced with a situation where they finally act upon those urges. Luckily, none have had tragic results.

And I'm not saying this is the case with DM.

And, why not just whack the victim on the head (render him unconscious) and take his cash? Was the victim killed to prevent him identifying the perp??

IF the perp knew the victim was married (on the dl with his gay hookup activities) then the perp knew it was unlikely the assault/robbery would be reported and thus unlikely for the victim to file charges... so why kill DM?

I hate to use the word overkill...but that is exactly what this looks like.
The credit cards strewn. Multiple stabbings in the back. Someone just trying SO hard to make it
Appear a certain way.
This does not seem like a robbery to me.

It seems somebody had some ill intention toward David. It just doesn't seem like a hook up gone awry, to me, or a simple hookup robbery. The proximity of the text home, it's content something like 'home in an hour, compared to the timing of the POI video all seem to point to something more. Why would a perp text that David would be home in an hour if that would raise alarms sooner, if David didn't text it? If David did send the text, why does it roughly coincide with about the time the POI came up the stairs? That may mean that when David sent the text, he'd already been there since 5:30 pm, when he was reported in MSM to have checked in, then POI may have been an accomplice to whomever had been there with David. They may have texted their accomplice, the POI, while David texted home or after leaving David's hotel room. If that's true, it may mean the POI was hovering not too far away prior to entering the hotel, alerted by a text or a call or something.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, f&e

Bingo.
Not a robbery, but a premeditated murder, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member