DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no indication at all that LE has recovered $40k. We know about the accounting from the convoy, which I think ended up to be just over $20k in cash AND money orders AND the $1k uber ride. People can guess that LE can track where all $40k went, but they definitely have not said anything like that at all.

If he had a little more than 20k when he was found, that makes me think he was the lone or main perpetrator. If he had split the 40k with someone, wouldnt he have a lot less than 20 k left on him when he was found? He had been running and hiding out with family and friends and his girlfriend. Wouldn't he give them some for helping him? Wouldn't he stash some and spend some on food, drugs and drink and transpo?

argh. MSM strikes again! I thought DW was found with at least $10,000 cash PLUS at least $10,000 in money orders. It was also reported that he spent $1,000 on the taxi ride back to DC, plus whatever he spent in that week.

I am totally confused about whether the $10k they found in money orders includes the two $2500 money orders the women admitted to cashing. Even so, that would equal at the most accounted for (that we know of) as $10k in $100 bills + $15k in money orders + $1k in uber = $26k. We could assume or guess that JW spent the other $14k in his few days of richness. But we could also guess that he might have walked away with more money than just the $40k if SS was pulling out all the stops to save his family. Regardless, neither LE, nor the media has given indication that most of the ransom money is accounted for. That be the facts.

I think I might be forgetful too if my boss and his family were murdered and the home torched. Not that this gives him a get out of jail free card though.

He said he left the money in the red car in a manila envelope in the driver's seat. LE searched the car and didn't find the money or the envelope. They did find at least $10,000 with Wint and company. Soooo... where's the other $30,000? That's your co-conspirators.

On the flip side, you have the maid saying the money was expected... Wierd!

"According to Nelitza Gutierrez, a housekeeper working for the Savopoulos family, $40,000 in cash was to be delivered to the house on Woodland Drive on May 14, the day the bodies were found after a fire.

In an off-camera interview, Gutierrez says an assistant was scheduled to drop off the cash to be used for the opening of a martial arts center in Chantilly, Virginia. The housekeeper says she spoke with the person who was supposed to make the delivery and he confirmed he dropped it off at the house that morning."

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29114637/savopoulos-fire-deaths#

From Washington Post 5/20/15: "Gutierrez said that she knew nothing about the money that was dropped off May 14 and that she had never seen the assistant or anyone else drop off cash to the Savopoulos home in the 20 years she had worked there."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...00af9e-ff07-11e4-8b6c-0dcce21e223d_story.html

I am totally confused about whether the $10k they found in money orders includes the two $2500 money orders the women admitted to cashing. Even so, that would equal at the most accounted for (that we know of) as $10k in $100 bills + $15k in money orders + $1k in uber = $26k. We could assume or guess that JW spent the other $14k in his few days of richness. But we could also guess that he might have walked away with more money than just the $40k if SS was pulling out all the stops to save his family. Regardless, neither LE, nor the media has given indication that most of the ransom money is accounted for. That be the facts.

*** DW instead of JW...typo? *** :/ I don't wanna misunderstand.

I have no clue, but I hope LE has watched every one of her interviews because she says something different in every one and she gives A LOT of unnecessary information. I'm guessing LE believes she is not involved. Her alibi must be solid. JW's phone was tapped. I wish they had tapped her phone too.

I could be wrong, but I think LE did request her phone records. There has been much discussion about how incriminating it is to ask for phone records. From what I understand, LE can get a certain amount of info from a person based on their cooperation, but they need more documentation, just to be buttoned up if any info is introduced in trial.

I will say, I was once in a horrific situation where a family member disappeared and they were able to track the pings of his cell phone quickly, until the phone went dead. I had no knowledge of LE having to jump through hoops to get that knowledge. It seemed immediate.

But I imagine getting into what text A said and text B said would take a legal inquiry. I did see LE repeatedly showing up at the major mobile phone company that I worked with closely for nearly a decade. They had to go there for a reason.

I have no clue, but I hope LE has watched every one of her interviews because she says something different in every one and she gives A LOT of unnecessary information. I'm guessing LE believes she is not involved. Her alibi must be solid. JW's phone was tapped. I wish they had tapped her phone too.

I could be wrong, but I think LE did request her phone records. There has been much discussion about how incriminating it is to ask for phone records. From what I understand, LE can get a certain amount of info from a person based on their cooperation, but they need more documentation, just to be buttoned up if any info is introduced in trial.

I will say, I was once in a horrific situation where a family member disappeared and they were able to track the pings of his cell phone quickly, until the phone went dead. I had no knowledge of LE having to jump through hoops to get that knowledge. It seemed immediate.

But I imagine getting into what text A said and text B said would take a legal inquiry. I did see LE repeatedly showing up at the major mobile phone company that I worked with closely for nearly a decade. They had to go there for a reason.

Exactly. DW is 34. Is he a kid? I don't think so.

I'm not insinuating he's a child but people make all kinds of "thinking" errors well into their 20's........actually through life. JW is no exception. Not old enough to have certain life experiences and without truly knowing or understand what life experience he has had, I tend to believe he may be immature and with that comes behaviors that are equally immature. I'm also not excusing lying. However, that was a term LE used and I'm not sure the motivation behind it but there was one. Without being a fly on the wall during that discussion with LE and JW, i won't speculate why they used that term. JW's social media, as I've said before, was not filled with foul, vulgar comments. I don't see how he has "bad" character based on really anything. That assumption is being made based on LE's comments and again, I'm not on board with it being a "lie". Some will disagree and I'm cool with that....this is JMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think they probably got a SW for her phone records. It just hasn't been released. She was called/texted more than once from the crime scene. Whether they think she is involved or not, they would need to confirm her recollection of events. JMO

I think, to the best of the knowledge of people on this site, it was an expired reg. (But some might say there is still is some question about that?) IMO, if JW was as bright and good-willed as people are ascertaining him to be, I think he would have immediately returned the expired reg to this valuable car to his boss after having re-registering it.) I'm far from a freakishly organized person (to say the least), but I keep my old registrations. If I gave my new assistant paperwork to get my one-of-a-kind $200k-$700k vehicle registered, I would expect to get that paperwork back immediately from him after he had registered the vehicle. Maybe I'd be so busy that I would forget to ask him about it, but if he's my trusted assistant, I wouldn't have to. I certainly wouldn't expect him to keep it. And if he asked me if he could keep it, I would say no, because that would just be really weird and inappropriate. (In other words, JW is not a good assistant, or he is a thief.)

It is much faster and easier to renew the registration online. I don't see why JW would need the registration in his bag, in his car at all.

I'm not insinuating he's a child but people make all kinds of "thinking" errors well into their 20's........actually through life. JW is no exception. Not old enough to have certain life experiences and without truly knowing or understand what life experience he has had, I tend to believe he may be immature and with that comes behaviors that are equally immature. I'm also not excusing lying. However, that was a term LE used and I'm not sure the motivation behind it but there was one. Without being a fly on the wall during that discussion with LE and JW, i won't speculate why they used that term. JW's social media, as I've said before, was not filled with foul, vulgar comments. I don't see how he has "bad" character based on really anything. That assumption is being made based on LE's comments and again, I'm not on board with it being a "lie". Some will disagree and I'm cool with that....this is JMO.

Learning the life lesson that telling a lie will result in consequences has been learned by my 3-year-old grandson. Intentionally lying to police who are investigating four brutal murders is not a thinking error. Such deception is a reflection of a seriously troubled person.

Not sure why you are questioning whether LE used the correct term when they noted in the court documents that JW ADMITTED HE LIED. Social media is not a reflection on one's true character since people can and do also lie on social media.

JMO

It is much faster and easier to renew the registration online. I don't see why DW would need the registration in his bag, in his car at all.

The registration was needed if JW intended to commit identity fraud and I believe he was. He was a race car driver wannabe and had no money.

JMO

I get what you're saying but what is the damage to his reputation if he's actually a victim? This "kid" has lost a lot of ground in his life because of this nightmare. I honestly don't see anything wrong with his social media posts prior to this tragedy. He was a young guy, ambitious about what he was doing, hustling to make that happen. As an entrepreneur myself, you have to hustle and surround yourself with people who "have hustled". Nothing wrong with that.....that's what you're "supposed" to do and I don't fault him one bit for that hustle. I admire it.. He's not granted interviews, posted any social media since this tragedy and has vanished from the face of the earth by all accounts. He has disappeared. I believe it's because he's horrified, and while some may disagree....I believe he's a victim of DW but he's still breathing. This reminds me of Richard Jewell and how the media AND law enforcement can jump and I don't blame them sometimes. But G&$$@it,when LE puts out information and they were wrong.....step up and say so. That's why lawsuits happen......it's not "what" happened it's about what you as LE did once they knew they were wrong. Clear this kid publicly and move on.

Language is an odd thing. I have always interpreted the word "hustle" to mean work very hard, be quick, and think fast. Telling lies has never occurred to me to be a part of that. The other kind of "hustle", involving lies and scamming and taking advantage of others as a practice invoked by those of questionable character, I always thought of as an homonym. It had never entered my mind that the two were intermixed.

According to the charging docs, JW stated that the instructions to drop off the money in the red car in the garage came from a phone call made by JW to SS's phone 10 mins before arrival. (This may or may not have been SS talking, and it may or may not have been instructions to drop off money in the car. We are relying on information from someone who was purposefully lying until being shown info that made him have to change his story.) It wasn't a text. The text you might be thinking of was JW's at 10:26 made to SS's phone. Something to the extent of: "The package has been delivered." So the only info about the car has come from JW.

added: Or, what you might be thinking of, there was a text on Weds night from JW to SS's phone that said "I got your messages. I will let you know when I picked up the package."

In the interview, JW told LE that he first got the message that very morning (Thurs) from SS to pick up a package, but when LE showed JW that he had actually sent a text the night before indicating that he knew he was supposed to pick up a package, JW said he had just forgotten that it actually came the night before the deaths, not that same morning on which he showed up before 9 AM to pick up the money. (Forgetful guy that JW!)

1. If flurry of phone calls to get the money happened Thursday morning. How would SS be confident and able to tell JW a specific time and place and task? Did he deliver anything else to the home for DW? Is this why he said he found out Thursday but when LE saw text he rather they assume text about package was the money?

2. Are the messages from SS on JW's phone? We're messages ever left? Did another phone number leave JW messages like from a throw away phone DW had?

3. The past tense is interesting. "when I picked up the package" rather than "when I have picked up the package".

No pass! Especially because of the deaths. If police thought he was bumbling due to stress, they would have let him clarify without being so suspicious that they outed him to public media. This is not a throw-away event. They did not do this casually. He deceived them on purpose. He was not being a "bonehead". He was acting nefariously.

I know, NG's accounts are a little muddled. I have no feelings about that. I was suspicious early on. But when I realized that both she and JW stated they went to the house once learning about the fire, they would connect on when they last talked to and saw family, etc. (Regardless if neither, one, or both parties were involved.)

Honestly I feel like there'd be a natural adrenaline response and JW would be able to think more clearly knowing how critical any information he had would be and he would want to be thorough in describing every detail.

No doubt in my mind JW will be prosecuted. He lied, obstructed the investigation and he also had the victim's vehicle registration. The $40,000 ransom has not been recovered and he photographed some of the money in his possession. Where's the rest of the money?

JMO

They are absolutely, positively not going to charge JW for anything......nada, zero. IMO, of course. [emoji16] First of all.....there's the "debate" here about lying and I don't want to go into what the definition is......we can and have agreed to disagree. I find it hard to believe prosecutors would spend one second of energy charging JW with anything when they have a family and friend so horrifically murdered. That's what they are focused on. They are busy building that case and the REAL murderers.......not JW. IMO, they have moved on from JW along time ago. The remainder of the $40,000 was probably spent.....by DW livin' large....shoes, food, weed. The photos? They're photos a guy took of $40,000 grand.......MOST people will never see that kind of cash at one time in bundles! Ever. He took a picture....that's it. The registration? He admired it.....it was expired he kept it I guess. Who knows. But DW was a walking felon since the day he came to this country and that's the real tragedy and crime. Look at his rap sheet....it's horrible and violent. What was he even doing here????? It baffles me that there's so much outrage about poor decisions on JW's part. What about the poor decisions and actions by our own government for allowing DW to remain here in the first place?

JW's whereabouts. So, what are we thinking are the scenarios?

I'd wager that with a dad in LE, this firestorm broke and dad had a talk with him. Advice likely was to cooperate with LE, fully, and tell them anything and everything that you might have said or done to contribute to this mess, and in fact, tell them everything you've ever done in your life in violation of the law. I'd expect JW was warned that DW has mixed with violent, organized gangs and that JW's life was likely in jeopardy, or at the very least he was at risk for being intimidated by gang members. I would suspect that his dad told him nothing good could come from any media involvement, including social media, and that's what is driving the radio silence. Dad knows how much criminal wrongdoing is revealed on SM in particular.

I would be shocked if JW is not in protective custody. The custodian could be his dad though, and I wouldn't be surprised. This would perhaps be the case if he wasn't criminally involved in any way with the bloodbath.

Otherwise, if he was even tangentially criminally involved with the situation, my money would be that LE has him somewhere for safekeeping.

Complex investigations take a long time. Think about all of the gangs LE knows about, and how the gangs continue to operate, and kill. DW and his hardcore counterparts almost certainly answer "I don't know" and "I don't remember" to every single question they are asked by LE. They won't slip up, because they won't talk. They certainly won't snitch. Perhaps there's a soft one in the group, a woman perhaps. But even this person can only share what they know. This investigation could take years, I fear.

I expect JW to stay in hiding.

My opinion is this: If JW is cleared, we will know when he does a paid TV interview. If he isn't cleared, he won't be allowed to profit from his story. I think that's how we will ultimately know the truth about him. With media training behind him, if he's innocent, we will hear from him; I bet.

Honestly I feel like there'd be a natural adrenaline response and JW would be able to think more clearly knowing how critical any information he had would be and he would want to be thorough in describing every detail.
Don't we actually have a neuroscientist participating on this thread? She's either Polish or into winter sports in my mind: skigirl. Perhaps she can chime in in this.

It is much faster and easier to renew the registration online. I don't see why DW would need the registration in his bag, in his car at all.

You mean JW.......not DW, right? JW had the registration not DW. [emoji16]

Don't we actually have a neuroscientist participating on this thread? She's either Polish or into winter sports in my mind: skigirl. Perhaps she can chime in in this.

Skigirl is on vacation this week, so she only planned to check in occasionally. I think she's back next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcbell