DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes! It's perfectly understandable, IMO, that JW would have been rattled and confused. . . suffered a shocking event and then dealing with stressful manner of harsh LE questioning by Detective Williams:
Mansion Murders: 2 witnesses testify they saw man resembling Daron Wint go into garage

UPDATED: SEP 18 2018 05:47PM EDT
[...]
In one clip, Williams, a broad man with white hair wearing a blue blazer and khaki pants, is heard saying to Wallace, “It causes me a lot of concern that you would omit this.”

Williams was talking about a message from Savvas Savopoulos that Wallace had overlooked on his phone. “I genuinely didn’t mean… sir, I’m not trying to hide anything, I’m not,” Wallace replies. “I was comfortable showing it (his phone) to you because I didn’t.”

Prosecutor Laura Bach read a transcript of another exchange with Williams, where Williams told Wallace he did not believe the story about getting the cash at the bank.

“The *advertiser censored*ing bank is not going to give you $40,000 and let you walk out and say, ‘Hey, you’re a loyal customer - here… put that s**t in your *advertiser censored*ing bag and walk out,’” Williams said.

Bach noted for the jury that Wallace, after a four-and-a-half-hour interview, did correct his assertions about the car being unlocked, the money being placed by Wallace into a manila envelope and the date he first got a message from Savvas Savopoulos about the package delivery job.

“I’m sorry,” he is heard telling the detective. “It’s been a long day.”

“Were you trying to get it wrong? Were you trying to lie to them?” asked Laura Bach.

“No,” Wallace said. He stated he was still worried about what had happened and didn’t know what was going on.

“I was scared, confused,” Wallace said. “It was a lot.”
[...]

I was going by JWs testimony about 40k not fitting in bank envelope...and if in hoodie pocket $$ could fall out if he had to really run...
Or maybe the bucket was part of his “costume” to look like a construction worker...White tshirt, dark jeans...

DW sure didn’t know how to set a fire. Thank goodness he was not a Boy Scout.
I know those ATF folks can find evidence in bad fires and explosions.

And that wallpaper guy deserves a medal. He went the extra mile.

JMO
What did I miss?? What wallpaper guy?

This is one of the news articles that can't "source" the information about the taxi driver.

I'm still trying to verify the information about this taxi ride in the other news articles I posted earlier asking about this. There has been no verified source in any of these articles.

This may all come out in court. Perhaps if/when D.W.'s girlfriend testifies?

If she doesn't tell who drove D.W. back, then I doubt the person will come forward! I don't think a taxi was involved. I think that was a rumor.
Do you have a hunch about how DW got from NYC back to DC if he didn't take a livery car?

jmo

Do you have a hunch about how DW got from NYC back to DC if he didn't take a livery car?

jmo

Yes, I figure it had to have been a close friend of his or relative of his girlfriend's. Someone they could "trust". Easy and a lot of cash just for driving.

I don't think D.W.'s girlfriend would give up the name. Maybe it was a brother, cousin or close friend of hers. We'll never know.

D.W. couldn't take the chance on a taxi or public transportation like the bus he took to N.Y. He knew law enforcement were on his trail. People could identify him.

These are my own opinions.

Last edited:
I agree! He knocked on the door to tell them about the smoke coming out and then called 911 immediately.

The carbon dioxide alarms would be going off as well as their smoke detectors. Whether there was a system hooked up to these alerts to notify outside people, I have no idea.

This too, may come out in the trial.

I think the security guy already testified the CO detectors went off with the smoke/ fire detectors.

Yes, iI figure it had to have been a close friend of his or relative of his girlfriend's. Someone they could "trust". Easy and a lot of cash for a one way drive.

I don't think D.W.'s girlfriend would give up the name. Maybe it was even a brother of hers. We'll never know.

Wint couldn't take the chance on a taxi or public transportation. He knew law enforcement were on his trial.

These are my own opinions.

This makes more sense to me than DW's story.

jmo

I believe this is true for many reasons. She may have been led to believe from D.W. that he stole cash somewhere but he is innocent of the murders. Or maybe she knew. I don't think we will ever know.

"The sources said the girlfriend cooperated with investigators -- not fully, but "close enough."

Video Shows Feds, NYPD Raid Home of Mansion Murder Suspect's Girlfriend

That video posted earlier tonight of the 2015 raid on GF house - looks like a security camera on the little White House- maybe it shows who picked DW up...

And the guy in the video where they show only his pants and shoes- I think he said lots of folks coming and going in that area...hmmm.

JMO and thoughts.

Was there proof he actually made it to NYC?? Sorry, maybe dumb question... but, I'm reading old reports and saw this:

US marshals and the NYPD scoured Brooklyn for the alleged killer after his paramour was questioned Thursday at the 69th Precinct station house in Canarsie and said he had come to town by bus to see her.

However, sources said authorities doubted the credibility of the girlfriend — and weren’t sure he ever made it to the Big Apple.

“We have reason to believe he is not in New York and it’s unclear if he was in New York in the last couple of days,” one source said.

https://nypost.com/2015/05/21/police-arrest-suspect-wanted-in-dc-slaughter/

Also, here's surveillance of suspect running with bucket:

Video: Surveillance Footage May Provide Lead in DC Mansion Fire Case

I don't recall any previous mention about JW "running an ebay account" for SS.
Perhaps there was a nefarious contact regarding an ebay transaction. Not at all insinuating that JW did anything wrong; just that an unknown person could have been disgruntled about an ebay purchase. Speculation only.

Assistant who dropped off $40K in cash testifies in trial of man charged with killing DC family | WTOP
September 17, 2018 7:22 pm
Wallace was hired by Savvas Savopoulos in March 2015 to run errands, drive members of the family to appointments and carry out other odd jobs, such as running an eBay account.

Yes ... was intrigued by the ebay account, as well!! Had not every heard mention of it ... and curious as to what kind of merchandise it had to offer.

@OTPTarheel2018

Great catch on the security camera! Hopefully the l.e. got something from it.

Yes I heard him say that as well, "lots of folks coming and going in that area".

Last edited:
Maybe it was a one way rental.

A couple of times I left rentals with Georgia plates at Virginia airport and flew home. And I rented a car in Pittsburgh with a Texas plate.

JMO

That's because the taxes in those states are way lower than CT. Most rental car companies in NY or CT will have NJ plates because the business taxes are so much cheaper. It's unusual for a large car rental company to bother registering their vehicle in NY or CT rather than NJ, because of the significantly higher taxes.

IMO Daron Wint must have traveled to CT to get that rental car. It is highly unlikely a rental car company in NY would have cars registered in CT.

Was there proof he actually made it to NYC?? Sorry, maybe dumb question... but, I'm reading old reports and saw this:

US marshals and the NYPD scoured Brooklyn for the alleged killer after his paramour was questioned Thursday at the 69th Precinct station house in Canarsie and said he had come to town by bus to see her.

However, sources said authorities doubted the credibility of the girlfriend — and weren’t sure he ever made it to the Big Apple.

“We have reason to believe he is not in New York and it’s unclear if he was in New York in the last couple of days,” one source said.

I believe DW phone was in the GF apt.

That video posted earlier tonight of the 2015 raid on GF house - looks like a security camera on the little White House- maybe it shows who picked DW up...

And the guy in the video where they show only his pants and shoes- I think he said lots of folks coming and going in that area...hmmm.

JMO and thoughts.

obviously, he was in NYC... somehow

In the video below, at 0:46 the police officer tells the reporters "we do believe the person was in Brooklyn at some point."

Suspect in D.C. Quadruple Slaying in Custody

Thanks for posting the running man with bucket video!
Is this guy-I am assuming it’s DW- wearing the same hoodie in the arrest video??

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member