DC/VA - Light plane crashes after chase by jet fighters in Washington area, 4 June 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is another comment I saw yesterday from a pilot who was listening to ATC broadcasts at the time of the flight. It's unnerving to me that planes can fly around and seemingly ignore ATC without something happening, but then I'm not really sure what should happen

The Cessna departed from a small airport Sunday in Elizabethton, Tenn., at 1:14 p.m. and was bound for Long Island, according to flight tracking data. The two people familiar with the investigation into the crash said contact with the plane was lost about 15 minutes after its departure, as it was passing over Virginia for the first time.

I'm inclined to think it was in fact high altitude decompression then the turbulence from the F-16s getting close enough to observe the cockpit caused the autopilot to fail. If it was only a pilot medical emergency the passengers would have responded to the radio. There's no reason for such a small aircraft's cockpit to be locked.

If this was a case of the pilot having a medical emergency, but with the passengers staying awake, wouldn't they be able to at least contact someone on the ground?

Apart from the Payne Stewart incident there was also an airliner lost over Greece due to lack of pressurization (Helios Airways Flight 522).
There was also this event in September 2022.

This documentary about the Payne Stewart situation was just posted by Wondery 3 weeks ago. I haven't finished it yet, but it's good. There are dramatizations, but they intersperse those with interviews of the aviation people who were involved.

Last edited:
Was it determined why the jet carrying Payne Stewart lost pressurization?
That could not be determined conclusively. However, the NTSB discovered that repairs had been made to the pressurization system in the past, and while the repairs themselves were well-documented in company maintenance logs, the aircrew's "trouble log" which prompted the repairs was not.
1999 South Dakota Learjet crash - Wikipedia (described under section Investigation)
https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/AAB0001.pdf

This documentary about the Payne Stewart situation was just posted by Wondery 3 weeks ago. I haven't finished it yet, but it's good. There are dramatizations, but they intersperse those with interviews of the aviation people who were involved.

Wow. So the checklist when the cockpit pressure warning light/signal comes on doesn't say to put on your oxygen masks until AFTER the other actions need to be taken. By then it is too late, according to experts. You only have about 15 seconds without oxygen before hypoxia sets in.

Thanks for posting this. An amazing documentary.

But now I can't help but wonder about this case, and the plane that crashed in Virginia with the Rumbel daughter, grandchild and others on board. If they had an emergency with lack of pressure in the cockpit and cabin, why didn't they put on oxygen masks and then safely land the plane?

Edited some typos

Last edited:

In addition to Azarian and her daughter, the plane’s pilot, married dad of three Jeff Hefner, and their nanny, Evadnie Smith, were aboard the doomed flight.

In addition to Azarian and her daughter, the plane’s pilot, married dad of three Jeff Hefner, and their nanny, Evadnie Smith, were aboard the doomed flight.

Pilot's Linkedin. Southwest Airlines pilot for 30 years

Was it determined why the jet carrying Payne Stewart lost pressurization? I just remember reading cabin pressure alarms could be heard in the recovered recording.
According to the documentary posted above, the NTSB never found a key piece of the pressurization system, even though they scoured the site for this missing piece. The crater that the Lear Jet plane made as it crashed to the ground from that high altitude and speed sent the parts of the plane deep into the ground.

But through other analysis, the NTSB determined that de-pressurization was the cause as they looked at all the information (frost on the plane windows as seen by the F-16 pilot who was dispatched to track the plane, etc.).

I always find the Air Safety Institute "early analysis" reports very reliable and informative. Especially informative in this case regarding cabin pressure, timing, pilot settings, etc.

So are sonic booms rare in that area? I grew up and still live in an area near a major airforce base and sonic booms are very common here. They were much more common in the 1960's thru the 90's but we still hear them.
Aircraft are not allowed to fly faster than sound over the US except in certain rare circumstances or in certain areas, training ranges.

According to the documentary posted above, the NTSB never found a key piece of the pressurization system, even though they scoured the site for this missing piece. The crater that the Lear Jet plane made as it crashed to the ground from that high altitude and speed sent the parts of the plane deep into the ground.

But through other analysis, the NTSB determined that de-pressurization was the cause as they looked at all the information (frost on the plane windows as seen by the F-16 pilot who was dispatched to track the plane, etc.).

Thank you for the info.

Even though there have been many reports that this (Virginia) crash involved cabin de-pressurization (and I posted a video about that possibility)... I've also heard/seen others that suggest maybe not. Interesting and sad... whatever the outcome here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024
Back