DC/VA - Light plane crashes after chase by jet fighters in Washington area, 4 June 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Narrative:
A Cessna 560 Citation V, N611VG, was presumably destroyed when it disappeared from radar screens and crashed near Staunton, Virginia.

ADS-B data show that the airplane conducted a course reversal about 1h15m into the flight, the airplane flew past the reported destination of Long Island MacArthur Airport (KISP), New York, and continued on a straight path for about 50m. The data shows that the airplane began a rapid descending right spiral from 34000 feet, followed by another spiral at 20000 feet, the last ADS-B return showed an average rate of -28864 ft/min

This is what one of the pilots on twitter said several hours ago - he/she heard the transmission at the time

At least one of the jet pilots saw the Cessna’s pilot “passed out,” a U.S. official told ABC News. In a statement Sunday night, U.S. Capitol Police said officials were working with federal partners to “monitor an unresponsive pilot who was flying an airplane near the National Capital Region.”

Many thanks for the minute by minute updates.

So far sounding as if plane veered from set course and went into nose dive?

Thanks for keeping us informed.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but my take is the plane was on auto-pilot and was supposed to land in NY. There was some type of medical event and the autopilot took them generally back the way they came. Even though they were really high up in restricted air space near DC, the military was concerned because the pilot was not responding to radio transmissions. So they scrambled the fighter jets and authorized super sonic speeds which is why there was a sonic boom. One of the fighter pilots was able to get eyes on the pilot who looked to be passed out. Thankfully, it crashed in an unpopulated area. Hoping it was hypoxia, because that means everyone on the plane was passed out and had no idea what was happening.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but my take is the plane was on auto-pilot and was supposed to land in NY. There was some type of medical event and the autopilot took them generally back the way they came. Even though they were really high up in restricted air space near DC, the military was concerned because the pilot was not responding to radio transmissions. So they scrambled the fighter jets and authorized super sonic speeds which is why there was a sonic boom. One of the fighter pilots was able to get eyes on the pilot who looked to be passed out. Thankfully, it crashed in an unpopulated area. Hoping it was hypoxia, because that means everyone on the plane was passed out and had no idea what was happening.
I'm somewhat surprised the cockpit window wasn't iced over, like the intercepting F-16s saw on the Payne Stewart flight. Of course that was much higher, reaching an incredible 48,900 feet (FL 489) maximum.

Mr. Rumpel, who is also a pilot, said that he had little information about the circumstances of the crash, but hoped they had not suffered. His voice breaking, he said that if the plane lost pressurization, “they all just would have gone to sleep and never woke up.”

“I don’t think they’ve found the wreckage yet,” Mr. Rumpel said. “It descended at 20,000 feet a minute, and nobody could survive a crash from that speed.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back