Deaths of Male College Students-General Discussion #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the injuries had time to heal after he abducted them...were they looked at as part of the initial crime? He didn't give them a skull fracture, just a bump on the head and a concussion it sounds like. While some of the vics showed up right away...many took months to show up in the water.

I agree with you Serious ..... this guy is cunning and creepy and if these victims were injured "without broken bones" .... dumped in waterways to erode evidence and decomposition .... they could be associated with other victims in the area. This guy was either very daring ... or crazy ... 2 guys during the same time frame?

$ 1 million dollar bond ..... this guy needs to be questioned extensively on his where abouts over the past 12 months (at least) ..... as several young men are still missing in MN, MI, Indiana, NC, and GA.

Peace.

Here's another article from the Green Bay paper:
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080710/GPG0101/80710061/1978

WISCONSIN RAPIDS — Investigators plan an “exhaustive” investigation into the background of a man accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting two young men to see whether he is connected to other cases, the Wood County sheriff said today.

Thomas Reichert said his agency will dig into Edward Lanphear’s past and cross-reference him with other missing persons cases. Other law enforcement agencies likely will do the same, he said.

More at the link.

Absolutely ! Multi states LE need to communicate and share information.

Peace

When they detemine the COD as drowning, they have to go with accidental unless they can prove motive or have other evidence which obviously has never been found in these cases. It doesn't mean the men did not have other marks on them as many did. They determined those to have been caused by debris etc. No one ever examined them close enough to determine if a tool caused them or not, imo.

I believe the "Jenkins case" was initally ruled an accidential drowning ... until the parents persisted in further investigation to have the case re-opened and cause of death changed. The only one ( out of the 40 or so cases) so far to succeed in doing so.

Peace.

I believe we should keep an eye on this case. Who knows how long this guy has been going around Wisconsin doing this. Heck, he had abducted two guys in one weekend. Both young men disappeared just like the young men in this forum. After a night of drinking, alone, outside the bar or walking home alone, late at night or early morning hours.

JMHO
fran

CAUTION TO READER, ADULT CONTENT

http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.com/assets/pdf/U011247579.PDF

Probable Cause Affidavit.

I completely agree this needs to be watched, but unfortunately, I do not feel this perp is related to these cases in particular. There is a blatant sexual motive here, which is absent the drowning cases. That being said, absolutely worth keeping on the radar, but for me, imo, does not adress either the vic profile, motive or timeline. I do not however, discount the possibility of a peripheral connection, but do not see the connection at this point.

I believe the "Jenkins case" was initally ruled an accidential drowning ... until the parents persisted in further investigation to have the case re-opened and cause of death changed. The only one ( out of the 40 or so cases) so far to succeed in doing so.

Peace.

I personally believe that this case is related, which has an ongoing homicide investigation, like Chris's. Scott Javins

http://www.scottjavinsismissing.org/scottdetails.htmc

What makes him unique is that he was found in his car-which I believe for a few of these potential vics, is relevant:

LE needs to go through every bit of info they can find on this man's computer and see if there is some kind of network of these type of perverts they can link him to.

Well, it seems from this latest news release, they do NOT suspect this guy has done this before. However, they're still investigating him. I believe they're considering bringing dogs into investigate his property.

IF this guy hasn't done this before, then that would mean that none of our missing or drowned young men were his victims. But, what this case does bring to light, is that it is POSSIBLE there are more individuals around, lurking behind closed doors, JUST LIKE HIM! That also tells me, the theory of MANY of these cases being related is NOT far-fetched.

Maybe now that this case has been brought to light, LE will listen to the two investigators and take a second or third look at many of these cases.

FWIW, and FYI, I read that 90K men are sexually assaulted each year, but most go unreported.

This type of thing needs to be addressed by LE. Our young people need to become aware of this horrible assault statistic. Men are at risk too!

JMHO
fran

http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/24450269.html

NEW INFO: Authorities Release More Details of Alleged Abduction/Torture Case

Posted: 10:08 AM Jul 11, 2008
Last Updated: 10:08 AM Jul 11, 2008
Reporter: WSAW Staff

Wood County Sheriff Tom Reichert says it appears 46-year-old Edward Lanphear of rural Wisconsin Rapids had his abductions planned well in advance, based on how elaborate the restraints he used on his victims were.

While Blink and I normally agree, this man fits the profile in my head of the type of person I think of as being involved in these homicides/drownings. I believe there are more of them, too.

We don't know if there were sexual assaults in the other cases. The forensics could not determine anything if those wounds (bruises, redness, swelling etc.) were healed or if no damage was done internally. Or if the ME and LE simply did NOT LOOK! We do suspect mental torture and this certainly sounds like that is part of what this creep did to both men.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2371714#post2371714 <Looks like this could be another one that got away. We will have to watch for the details to emerge tho. They found him "swimming in the river with bruises".

SS

I've been watching this case. From what I gather, the guy has a medical condition, I believe it's a form of epilepsy. I also read that the prior week or so he'd been acting strange. So I'm thinking, (course I could be wrong), that there may be a 'medical' reason why he disappeared, etc.

I know it sounds crazy, but seizures appear in many forms. If he has a short circuit causing seizures, it could be causing something else as well. It's scary when they have these seizures, they don't even know it and remember absolutely nothing. Sometimes when they first come to, they don't even know what day of the week it is or even their name.

JMHO
fran

While Blink and I normally agree, this man fits the profile in my head of the type of person I think of as being involved in these homicides/drownings. I believe there are more of them, too.

We don't know if there were sexual assaults in the other cases. The forensics could not determine anything if those wounds (bruises, redness, swelling etc.) were healed or if no damage was done internally. Or if the ME and LE simply did NOT LOOK! We do suspect mental torture and this certainly sounds like that is part of what this creep did to both men.

I agree with you.

Although they feel this guy hasn't done this before, they're still investigating him as far back as they can. They even confiscated his computer. IF he is in any way, shape or form, connected to any other cases, either personally or from acquaintance, (ie MySpace, etc), LE will find out.

JMHO
fran

I think they are wrong to believe this man just like an RSO caught at 47 years old hasn't done it before. I can rap off ten names of people like him who they found did horrendous things long before they were caught. Gacy comes to the head of the list. Look at Garry Hilton. When LE spews stuff out like this it just makes me angry when they really have NO clue!

AMen sis, we normally do- not saying this isnt a possibility for a vic or 2, but I do not find him remotely organized, cunning, or connected enough for the big picture here. However, I completely agree that there is more to come in this guys closet, or garage, as it were. He seems to be 100% sexually motivated, which is not what I believe the drownings motives are.

Is it me- or when these creeps are caught- isnt his face screaming depraved sex predator??

I think they are wrong to believe this man just like an RSO caught at 47 years old hasn't done it before. I can rap off ten names of people like him who they found did horrendous things long before they were caught. Gacy comes to the head of the list. Look at Garry Hilton. When LE spews stuff out like this it just makes me angry when they really have NO clue!

Absolutely SS and Fran- they will find it, next I'm guessing a PC full O'*advertiser censored* and/or underground explicit snuff videos as well. I hope they are talking to EVERYBODY this guy came in contact with

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080712/WDH0101/80712012

Abductions: Property search finds no evidence of other victims

SARATOGA — Authorities have finished searching the town of Saratoga home of a man officials say kidnapped and assaulted two men in a span of less than a week.
A search of the almost 11-acre property at 10730 52nd St. S., owned by Edward J. Lanphear, was concluded Friday after an excavating crew and cadaver dogs uncovered no additional evidence.

<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>

What's interesting here is the 'comments section.'

I wish LE would come out and tell the people in the area to leave the suspects family alone. The first person is correct, it's not his family's fault he is accused of this crime. They are as much a victim as everyone else. imho

I also hope the second poster contacts LE and tells them about the basement. They may not be aware it's been recently remodeled. He's right, it would be a shame to stop searching and there's evidence just behind those walls.:eek:

JMHO
fran

http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080711/WRT0101/80711127

thinkoffamily wrote:

I'm in shock at what I'm hearing has happened to the accused's family. People need to think before they are cruel to the innocent involved here. Cruel calls are being made to family members of the accused and they have been yelled at in the street. I'd like to think that the community would remember that they are in pain as well and dont deserve to be treated this way. He is not home so you do not need to yell out obsenities at his family members who are trying to cope with the shock at what has happened. You know who you are because it was witnessed, You dont need to abuse them. They are innocent as well. Just like anyone living in the community, this was a shock to them.They have much to deal with, wrapping their minds around the fact that someone they loved has done something like this, and they never would've thought could do something this terrible. Leave them alone. They did not do this and it is hurtful and cruel. Think before you act/speak. What if you were in their shoes?
7/11/2008 10:01:42 PM

WoodCountyRes wrote:
I couldn’t believe it when I heard the news tonight, they finished the search of the house and turned it over to the family. It was reported that a remodel of the basement has been done. Were new walls torn out in the basement/torture chamber? Is there DNA behind the new walls? No one can believe Lanphear put this all together over months and then managed to abduct two young men in a few days without doing this before. Over 100 pieces of evidence for the current crime and no proof of other victims. Please tell me they brought experts and not just 75 combined years of small town police work and politics to this investigation. These people need to get this done right. Unlike Heuer when Deidre went missing, Lewendowski was willing to alarm the community. I had hoped his pro active approach would remain. I don’t know what they have searched but I do want to know they searched everything. We don’t need the leaders stopping the investigators just shy of finding the evidence again.

7/11/2008 7:41:25 PM

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080712/WDH0101/80712012

Abductions: Property search finds no evidence of other victims

SARATOGA — Authorities have finished searching the town of Saratoga home of a man officials say kidnapped and assaulted two men in a span of less than a week.
A search of the almost 11-acre property at 10730 52nd St. S., owned by Edward J. Lanphear, was concluded Friday after an excavating crew and cadaver dogs uncovered no additional evidence.

<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>

His old address is
3120 12th Street South
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494-6448 Perhaps they can check that out- I agree with every poster that feels this guy did not just start his life of crime in a week!

We are here to discuss these cases. Though your opinion is sincerely appreciated, IMHO what has been asked by KR2 has not been addressed in your response. We need to stay on topic if we're ever going to make headway. This is the "quiet time" and the best time to put all our heads together and try to answer the questions posed.

You're right; it's the quiet time; which means it's also the best time to take a step back and consider the obvious; which is that with the exception of maybe just a couple of cases these are all just accidents. Hypothermia not only causes the body temperature to drop fast but it also causes loss of muscle control very quickly and disorientation. So even an experienced swimmer can die quickly if alone and without help. And thrashing about and swimming only make hypothermia worse and lead to faster dropping of the body temperature. Remember also that an athletic kid will have their body temps drop fast because of low body fat. And the knockout punch is the alcohol; which also does not mix well with hypothermia. Alcohol negatively affects coordination, but even worse; it lowers the body's resistance to cold water. The unexpected blast of cold water usually leads to a natural reflex for oxygen; and it's this natural gasp reflex which often leads to a person reflexively gulping a bunch of water when they go in. Unfortuately they often never resurface

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2371714#post2371714 <Looks like this could be another one that got away. We will have to watch for the details to emerge tho. They found him "swimming in the river with bruises".
Thanks for posting this here, SS. I hadn't heard about it. FYI...Carmel is a pretty long way upstate from Washington Heights (no river...but a reservoir-still trying to figure out exactly where) which BTW is a pretty colorful neighborhood. I have a close friend who's lived there for years. I imagine it would be a pretty complicated train ride to get up to Carmel (Putnam County) from there. Hard to imagine he'd be able to navigate that in a disoriented state. Someone on the way would definitely take notice.

His old address is
3120 12th Street South
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494-6448 Perhaps they can check that out- I agree with every poster that feels this guy did not just start his life of crime in a week!

hmmmm...........that's interesting Blink. I hope LE has gone to that address and looked around. Maybe even a little luminol?:eek:

fran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member