Decorah Iowa, Bald Eagle Cam-Watch the babies hatch :)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
er, or were you talking about the mom/dad? :floorlaugh: I just noticed his/her mouth open too.

Yeah, it looks like it has a stuffed up nose or something! I thought maybe if the babies did it, they did too. LOLOL

Whoa - what was the noise? Sounded like something in the tree...?

Yeah, it looks like it has a stuffed up nose or something! I thought maybe if the babies did it, they did too. LOLOL

If I was in a cottonwood tree my nose woud be stopped up. :floorlaugh:

I think this bird wants a break - LOL!

I thought those big bird flaps were the mate-- maybe an owl?

eta: Now it's noddin' out-- didn't get its break.

I have enjoyed this thread and the eagle cam so much. I'm totally addicted!

I was reading some facts about the nest and the nest is apparently 5-6 feet across and weighs 1/2 ton. That's amazing!

I know, I'm now also addicted to it! 1/2 ton? Wow, that's amazing!

I'm signing out for the night - was up too late last night waiting for the 'birth'. I need to function better tomorrow - LOL! I actually closed the webcam window for the first time in a couple of days. Otherwise, I'd stare at it until the wee hours again...

I truly hope that there are school teachers all over that are using this and teaching this as it happens. I know I sure wish I had a classroom - it would be so neat and what the kids could learn from this!!!!

But, I will bet there are many more teachers that are too bothered or disinterested to see the "life experience" happening right in their face and the chance it gives them to TEACH our children.

Both of my twins' 2nd grade classrooms are watching.
My oldest told me that his 3rd grade class watched last year.

I know we have a small school here called a magnet school and all the kids are allowed to have it up on their Ipads during class time. A friend of mine has her daughter there :)

Both of my twins' 2nd grade classrooms are watching.
My oldest told me that his 3rd grade class watched last year.

I know we have a small school here called a magnet school and all the kids are allowed to have it up on their Ipads during class time. A friend of mine has her daughter there :)
Are they just watching or do they have "assignments" to go with it? There is so much you could do. I know I could incorporate almost every subject into this. Writing (keep a journal); math (all the facts of the nest, how much is a "ton", etc.); science (that's obivous); reading (assigned certain books about eagles), and it goes on and on.

It would be so much fun!

My oldest couldn't remember any assignments to go with when they watched last year.
My twins said the teacher has gone over eagle facts with them like how long they live etc.. but the kids haven't had any classwork so far related to them
I'll have my friend ask her daughter tomorrow if they have had any assignments related to them. She said all the kids in the school are allowed to watch So i'm going to guess no, but will check for sure.

You're right it's a perfect opportunity for soo much learning that can span every subject.
Sadly I don't think the teachers are given any leeway with their subject matter... if it's not on the tests, then it doesn't get taught :( Makes me sad :(
Pardon the off topic ;)

I truly hope that there are school teachers all over that are using this and teaching this as it happens. I know I sure wish I had a classroom - it would be so neat and what the kids could learn from this!!!!

But, I will bet there are many more teachers that are too bothered or disinterested to see the "life experience" happening right in their face and the chance it gives them to TEACH our children.

We home school our 3 children. Yesterday, we spent quite a bit of time watching the cam and looking up facts about the eagles. I've been working on ways to incorporate it into the lessons we already have scheduled. This is such a fantastic learning opportunity. I can't pass this up. :-)

My oldest couldn't remember any assignments to go with when they watched last year.
My twins said the teacher has gone over eagle facts with them like how long they live etc.. but the kids haven't had any classwork so far related to them
I'll have my friend ask her daughter tomorrow if they have had any assignments related to them. She said all the kids in the school are allowed to watch So i'm going to guess no, but will check for sure.

You're right it's a perfect opportunity for soo much learning that can span every subject.
Sadly I don't think the teachers are given any leeway with their subject matter... if it's not on the tests, then it doesn't get taught :( Makes me sad :(
Pardon the off topic ;)
I don't think this is off topic at all. I know very well about "not on the test" deal - I'm in Florida - remember? Ever heard of the FCAT or as we like to call it - the FCRAP!

The FCAT is based on objectives. As long as you can cite the objective and your lesson plan meets that objective - well then, I'll defend it to the end. It really doesn't do much good for the kids to be "allowed to watch" without any corresponding "learning" to go with it. In a child's mind, it's just the same as if they were allowed to watch Hannah Montana" in school. They think its neat and fun - but who answers the questions it would bring up in their minds? Kinda like "what's the point"? KWIM?

I never ever do anything in my classroom that isn't tied into teaching those children. Whether its in the 3 R's or just "life" - kids need the guidance.

I guess that's just me - but I like to teach the "whole child" and certainly, NOT the test. I'm just smart enough to be able to tie everything I do into the "test's objectives" so no one can really say anything.

Does that make any sense?

The assignments wouldn't have to be any big thing. Could be as simple as write a 5 sentence paragraph every day in your journal or Find out how many feathers an eagle has.

Ok - now I'm rambling. I hope you get what I'm saying.

They're talking back and forth. Is that also the mate making that "other" sound too? Kinda sounds like an owl to me.

I don't think this is off topic at all. I know very well about "not on the test" deal - I'm in Florida - remember? Ever heard of the FCAT or as we like to call it - the FCRAP!

The FCAT is based on objectives. As long as you can cite the objective and your lesson plan meets that objective - well then, I'll defend it to the end. It really doesn't do much good for the kids to be "allowed to watch" without any corresponding "learning" to go with it. In a child's mind, it's just the same as if they were allowed to watch Hannah Montana" in school. They think its neat and fun - but who answers the questions it would bring up in their minds? Kinda like "what's the point"? KWIM?

I never ever do anything in my classroom that isn't tied into teaching those children. Whether its in the 3 R's or just "life" - kids need the guidance.

I guess that's just me - but I like to teach the "whole child" and certainly, NOT the test. I'm just smart enough to be able to tie everything I do into the "test's objectives" so no one can really say anything.

Does that make any sense?

The assignments wouldn't have to be any big thing. Could be as simple as write a 5 sentence paragraph every day in your journal or Find out how many feathers an eagle has.

Ok - now I'm rambling. I hope you get what I'm saying.

You sound a wonderful teacher!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member