Defense Witness List

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Please don't tell me CM is going to try and say Casey isn't getting a fair trial because she's indigent.

I think that is exactly where this is going....JMO

Well he has in a roundabout way...he and Jose have been whining of late how much more money the State has to prepare and try this case...

Well I say tough cookies. JB had $250,000 to work with in the beginning. That's more than most criminal defendants have access to, and it wasn't due to selling off pictures of the victim. Poor money management isn't the state of FL's problem it's JB's. So stuff it and quit whining JB. You made your bed, now lay in it!

I'll second your mmmmmmmmm somehow, someway, the defense is going to appeal based on the defense not being able to properly investigate and defend Casey due to restrictions of the JAC.....in nearly every hearing CM or JB or both bring up a financial limitation......how the State is not constricted re: finances....but they are....I can feel it in my bones. And I will venture to say we should be prepared to hear a lot more whining about it.

bbm
Every time the Defense has asked for additional funds JBP has approved it..
Sometimes granting the Defense partial hours or funding and other times granting them what they asked for..

Please don't tell me CM is going to try and say Casey isn't getting a fair trial because she's indigent.

She became indigent because her attorney blew through $275,000. If she were innocent surely $275,000 would have uncovered something. jmo

From Today's news (thank you kindly Nums)

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/2011/february/208264/Casey-Anthony%E2%80%99s-lawyers-file-request-for-additional-witnesses?cid=rss

Anthony’s lawyer Jose Baez said the TV reporter has relevant information to the case, and he plans to file a response Wednesday explaining to the court why he's adding these late witnesses.

As a listed witness, the reporter or anyone else on the list, typically isn’t allowed to sit in court during trial proceedings.

Judge previously ordered all witnesses to be listed by August 2010, according to the article. Methinks Mr Baez is a tad bit late. :)

Heads up if ya'll didn't know...we have a separate thread on the Kathie Belich topic....:)

If Ms belich is a defense witness, then perhaps she wouldn't be allowed in the courtroom until she testifies. If she were last on the defense's list of witnesses called or was cancelled at the end of the defense case, it would be very difficult for her to do news reports on Mr Baez's daily antics. Perhaps the defense doesen't want Kathi B sitting in court watching them work?

:Crown: BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(didn't see there was a Kathi B thread. Move or delete if necessary, but kudos to Paintr for fast observation!)

Found this article mentioning the NYC lawyer

http://law.marquette.edu/facultyblog/2010/10/12/problems-aplenty-with-forensic-science/

Marvin Schecter, who has shaken the trees in New York (and pretty much any where he goes), previewed unsettling new research, soon to be published, that will likely tarnish DNA’s luster as a gold standard. Put differently, DNA may not be all its cracked up to be.

Wow, so they are going to say it's not Caylee and she could be alive. Why else ask this guy to testify? I think they added him too late, though. HHJP is surely not going to add a new expert at this point (and he'd have to be an expert to say DNA is a crock of bs).

:Crown: BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing this is about Maya Derkovic and the interview Kathi did on her a while back in two parts we all watched. The state has had her and the other prisoner on their witness for months but the Defense hasn't bothered to add them on their witness until this recent motion.

Well he has in a roundabout way...he and Jose have been whining of late how much more money the State has to prepare and try this case...

JB needs $2M+ to 'buy' a Defense for ICA.

The Hollywood script and supporting cast of experts do not come cheap!!

Money can buy 'almost' anything but ... in this case the Defense went with a seemingly counter-intuitive AL strategy of indigency. Poor ICA. Sympathy vote.

http://www.wesh.com/r/26875712/detail.html
Casey Prosecutor: New Defense Witness List Missed Deadline

The defense's witness list in question includes so-called jailhouse snitches Robyn Adams and Maya Derkovic.

Also among the seven names listed, WFTV reporter Kathi Belich and Marvin Schecter, a lawyer from New York City.

In a new filing, Assistant State Attorney Linda Drane Burdick writes that the deadline has already passed in the case for a new witness to be listed unless a good reason is provided. The filing asks for the judge to either require the defense to explain its reasons for the new witnesses or not allow any of them."

----------------------------------

And here I thought the Defense was going to list new EXPERT witnesses....
Breakdown of the new additions

4 are on the State's Witness list
1 is from the Defense's Penalty Phase Witness List
2 NEW ones are WFTV Reporter Kathi Belich and New York Criminal Attorney Marvin Schecter

I just watched WESH and they briefly showed what I think was the Supplemental Defense Witness list
WESH spoke of Adams and Derkovic and the I saw the name of Kenneth Drupiewksi on the list..I guess he is the one added from their Penalty Phase List

Interesting that the Defense is adding a witness that was not, as far as we know, part of Caylee's life and had not been hanging out with Casey for many years...
Why bring in a Witness with No apparent current connection, other than they "dated" in High School?

Well I say tough cookies. JB had $250,000 to work with in the beginning. That's more than most criminal defendants have access to, and it wasn't due to selling off pictures of the victim. Poor money management isn't the state of FL's problem it's JB's. So stuff it and quit whining JB. You made your bed, now lay in it!

Yes, this case doesn't come to the standard of the usual indigent case - a little something about $250,000.00 is the elephant standing on that little theory.

I'm guessing this is about Maya Derkovic and the interview Kathi did on her a while back in two parts we all watched. The state has had her and the other prisoner on their witness for months but the Defense hasn't bothered to add them on their witness until this recent motion.

I agree ......... in part! LOL That is possibly their excuse to list her. My gut says paintr hit the nail on the head as to their true intention.

Now, one thing that might be interesting is - have they subpoenaed the full uncut version of the report? Have the taken her depo?
Adding: Or is this a school yard move just to take KB depo? A chance to ask her anything he wants as payback for her shining the light of truth?

It is always interesting..........and ya just can't make this stuff up!

If she is on the witness list I guess she can't be in the court harassing JB/CM, of course it's payback too, I'm sure they are snickering like two badly behaved schoolboys at their latest brilliant stroke of genius. HHJP won't allow it, the time has passed for adding new witnesses.:great:[/Q
------------
Time has passed.Thank God.:great:

If she is on the witness list I guess she can't be in the court harassing JB/CM, of course it's payback too, I'm sure they are snickering like two badly behaved schoolboys at their latest brilliant stroke of genius. HHJP won't allow it, the time has passed for adding new witnesses.:great:[/Q
------------
Time has passed.Thank God.:great:

Yes it is too late, but KB may also protected by Journalist's Privilege, R. Hornsby wrote about it today: http://blog.richardhornsby.com/2011/02/the-rule-of-sequestration/

I agree ......... in part! LOL That is possibly their excuse to list her. My gut says paintr hit the nail on the head as to their true intention.

Now, one thing that might be interesting is - have they subpoenaed the full uncut version of the report? Have the taken her depo?
Adding: Or is this a school yard move just to take KB depo? A chance to ask her anything he wants as payback for her shining the light of truth?

It is always interesting..........and ya just can't make this stuff up!

I have NEVER questioned their true intention - just petty enough to be it. I was hunting for any possible justification or excuse that Baez will be using.

I have NEVER questioned their true intention - just petty enough to be it. I was hunting for any possible justification or excuse that Baez will be using.

Oh, I know -- I was just thinking aloud with ya! Ultimately, like Nums pointed out (per RH) the journalist protection will thwart him anyway!
But it is (interesting) to ponder what makes JB tick and why CM is playing too.

I am sure KB and her editor and the station attorney are at dinner having a good chuckle at this new addition to their list!

JMHO, etc.

It seems like the defense has no plans on going to trial to actually defend Casey Anthony against the First Degree Murder charges. It looks more like they are preparing a trial against JAC, the media, the Sunshine Laws, etc. This is just obscene... and this lawyer they want on the witness list now? Sounds like they want him to testify to things that would fall under "expert witness." They can't ask a regular witness to testify to things that are for expert witnesses... can they?

http://www.wesh.com/r/26875712/detail.html
Casey Prosecutor: New Defense Witness List Missed Deadline

The defense's witness list in question includes so-called jailhouse snitches Robyn Adams and Maya Derkovic.

Also among the seven names listed, WFTV reporter Kathi Belich and Marvin Schecter, a lawyer from New York City.

In a new filing, Assistant State Attorney Linda Drane Burdick writes that the deadline has already passed in the case for a new witness to be listed unless a good reason is provided. The filing asks for the judge to either require the defense to explain its reasons for the new witnesses or not allow any of them."

----------------------------------

And here I thought the Defense was going to list new EXPERT witnesses....
Breakdown of the new additions

4 are on the State's Witness list
1 is from the Defense's Penalty Phase Witness List
2 NEW ones are WFTV Reporter Kathi Belich and New York Criminal Attorney Marvin Schecter

Is it Marvin Schecter or is it really Marvin Schechter, Esq New York, NY who is on the defense witness list?

Marvin Schechter, Esq, served on a panel with Linda Kenny Baden and Larry Koblinsky discussing "The Implications of the Report of the National Academy of Sciences and Related Studies for Future Criminal Litigation."
(pg 2)

http://www.nysba.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&CONTENTID=34712&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm

FINDING AND INTERPRETING THE SCIENCE IN FORENSIC EVIDENCE
http://www.law.suffolk.edu/academic/als/coursedetail.cfm?cid=669

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karmalicious478