Discussion of the Transcriptions of the Testimony of Jodi Arias

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think the time and date stamps come from the e-discovery forensic tools (reading in the metadata into the forensic artifacts.) Melendez testified to that really early on in trial 1, I think it was day 2 or 3.

Well I don't think so because the time and date stamp co-ordinates with exactly the time that she claimed he sent it to her and from the testimony it appears that they were on the front of a picture.

I'm trying to remember technology from back in 2006, remember no smart phones, and very few people had or could afford much more than talk and text plans. Not sure data plans for email were all that popular?

MOO

Most, if not ALL cell phone pictures have a GPS tag on them. Sort of like the EXIF data from digital cameras except the cell phone pictures will contain precise gps data information embedded into the photo with the date and time stamp. I'm not sure if Verizon would've kept the picture message available on their website longer than just a few months, definitely not more than 3 years though. I don't understand why the DT didn't subpoena the phone records then in 08-09 when she was arrested. PERSONALLY, I don't think he sent her a penis pic.

I agree....but there are some who have bought into JAs version of TA. Hopefully, nobody on the jury buys it.

Well I don't think so because the time and date stamp co-ordinates with exactly the time that she claimed he sent it do her and from the testimony it appears that they were on the front of a picture.

I'm trying to remember technology from back in 2006, remember no smart phones, and very few people had or could afford much more than talk and text plans. Not sure data plans for email were all that popular?

MOO

You didn't need a data plan for email. It was part of the talk and text. Your phone just reads it like a regular text. I was working a part time job and was putting myself through college and could afford a dinky talk and text plan and was still able to send texts and pictures to emails. Nothing special required. And I definitely didn't have a smart phone.

HEY, after having her breakup talk with Darryl the Thursday after she met Travis, Jodi goes on to say "I don't cheat on my boyfriends". Hah! Yeah. She just kills them.

The very end of the second day when the judge is discussing the stay order from the COA is the best info in all of this. Poor Judge Sherry does NOT seem to understand the implications of the order. Juan attempts to clarify it for her. Nurmi chimes in with his own obviously incorrect interpretation of it. Sherry solves things in her usual manner - dismiss the jury early and tell them not to come in tomorrow - so she can go wherever she goes to get advice on the myriad of things she just does not seem to know.

Things revealed from the transcripted exchange: Judge Sherry is wishy-washy. Juan probably knows more law than the judge does here. Nurmi is a posturer. Wilmott doesn't seem to say much.

Couldn't any deleted photos on TA's phone be found as well? Not that they probably bothered to try if the penis picture testimony never made it to trial? I thought it did though during JA's 18 day marathon?

Well I don't think so because the time and date stamp co-ordinates with exactly the time that she claimed he sent it do her and from the testimony it appears that they were on the front of a picture.

MOO

I had pic messaging, email in 2006 on my razr. Also you could send pic messages from your online account if you were logged in. We knew cmja had hacked all of his info it's not far fetched she logged into tas Verizon. But I'm trying to remember if the penis picture was found on her phone or the "evidence" aunty sue turned over years after the crime along with the Pedo letters

I had pic messaging, email in 2006 on my razr. Also you could send pic messages from your online account if you were logged in. We knew cmja had hacked all of his info it's not far fetched she logged into tas Verizon. But I'm trying to remember if the penis picture was found on her phone or the "evidence" aunty sue turned over years after the crime along with the Pedo letters

I think it was found on her computer.

I thought her computer was smashed into a billion pieces and nothing could be recovered from jodis HD?

Nurmi tried to make him out to be perverted - he's a man that likes to watch. No big deal. and the not kissing her afterward? No big deal either. If Jodi didn't like the treatment at that point she could of just said no and walked away.

Or brought some facial wipes with her. ;)

MOO

I have no direct experience with the forensic tools, I'm just going by how Detective Melendez explained how the time and date stamps become part of the image that we see in the evidence images.

I personally can't see the dissimilarities of fingers and nail shapes from the photos that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere on the web that I've seen. The resolution and quality of the images I've seen are too poor for me to make any certain conclusions. I'm no Bryan Neumeister.

However, I have not been able to look closely at post-mortem photos of TA's hands because it's really upsetting. I know the photos exist and I know that other Websleuths have analyzed the dissimilarities—so I defer to the expertise of the hive mind here.

I thought her computer was smashed into a billion pieces and nothing could be recovered from jodis HD?

Apparently they found a number of pictures. And two of them happened to be of a penis. She attributed both of them to TA as they were both time stamped around the same time one right after the other. No idea what the rest of the pics were of?

I'm not having any luck finding how these photos were recovered! I'm going to listen to Lonnie Dworkin again. I'm developing a geek crush on him, but I still can't really understand 87.6% of what he's saying about how he found what he found.

ETA I really think they came from JA's Helio phone so that's the testimony I'm searching... it's either this or some testimony about JA going into Gus Searcy's RV to snap, UGH PEPTO BISMOL I should have stocked up yesterday

Apparently they found a number of pictures. And two of them happened to be of a penis. She attributed both of them to TA as they were both time stamped around the same time one right after the other. No idea what the rest of the pics were of?

IIRC, there were a bunch of pictures of women's *advertiser censored* (oh the irony). She said she took them because of her boob job. But I bet if you saw them they wouldn't look worthy of a doctor's photo book if you catch my drift.

I'm not having any luck finding how these photos were recovered! I'm going to listen to Lonnie Dworkin again. I'm developing a geek crush on him, but I still can't really understand 87.6% of what he's saying about how he found what he found.

lol the beginning of his testimony was gibberish to me.

Following a lengthy afternoon recess, Lonnie Dworkin, a computer forensic examiner, was called to the stand. He highlighted YouTube activity that occurred on a computer recovered from Alexander's home and was asked to view two photos of a penis, taken from another laptop that was found to be damaged. It remains unclear where the defense was going with the penis photos as court was recessed directly thereafter until Monday morning.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/31/jodi-arias-sex-affair_n_2594497.html

This was from Jan 31, 2013

Following a lengthy afternoon recess, Lonnie Dworkin, a computer forensic examiner, was called to the stand. He highlighted YouTube activity that occurred on a computer recovered from Alexander's home and was asked to view two photos of a penis, taken from another laptop that was found to be damaged. It remains unclear where the defense was going with the penis photos as court was recessed directly thereafter until Monday morning.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/31/jodi-arias-sex-affair_n_2594497.html

This was from Jan 31, 2013

BBM Good job!

BBM - From testimony recorded here on WS, exhibits #393, 394 are the penis pics:

"February 4(2013) Morning testimony

Exhibits #393 & 394 (photos). The objection by Martinez to the photos is sustained.
Edit: I stand corrected, apparently they were admitted on Feb 6, 2013 as per:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?195462-*graphic-and-adult-content*-Jodi-Arias-Trial-media-timeline-thread-**no-discussion**&p=8816456#post8816456

"Objection - no date stated

It was november 11th 2006 . . . .

#393 & 394 are admitted . . . ."

Lonnie Dworkin is on the stand. Wilmott is refreshing his memory about where the photos came from.
--photos were taken from a hard drive.
--hard drive belonged to Jodi Arias.
--Two photos were copied from the mirror image
--Heliophone was looked at by Dworkin, the phone is a predeceasor of today's smart phones. The phone has some multimedia features such as take photos and record audio.
--Dworkin received the phone (Exhibit #424) on June 30, 2010.
--Once received Dworkin processed the phone to extract information. He generated several reports that each had a different perspective and scope.
--Dworkin had some "challenges" pulling information off the phone.
--Used to have to use screen captures or commercial software to extract information. With this particular type of phone there is no forensic software available to extract information. Dworkin captured the audio by playing it and capturing it. The text messages...he had to take photos of them.
--Phone belonged to Jodi Arias.
--As soon as the phone was powered on there was a photo of Jodi and another young lady.
--re: audio on phone. Dworkin obtained a copy of the user manual to make sure he wouldn't change anything on the phone. He noted that the phone has the ability to record audio.
--Dworkin was able to listen to 7-8 recordings. The phone had a small headphone jack on the side of the phone. He played the audio over the wire plugged into the jack and recorded it on his computer. The phone was directly connected to Dworkin's computer.
--Dworkin did screen captures to capture call logs and messages.
--Information was displayed on the phone and Dworkin took photos of each screen and this is what he did with this phone.
--Dworkin also looked at a Canon camera. Dworkin can't find his notes stating when he did this. Wilmott goes back to asking about the screen captures.
--Dworkin is asked about the photographs taken of the info. on the phone. They are photos of messages on the phone.
--Dworkin looked at his calender of his activities. He received the camera from the defence team. When doing so he did not have any paperwork/chain of custody forms at the time so he is checking his iPhone for the date of when he took custody of the camera. Dworkin checked it into his evidence locker on January 15, 2013.
--Dworkin has a standard protocal when checking cameras. He obtains the user manual and then looks at the memory and the ability to take remote photos, what kind of memory cards and how many, inspect the contents of the camera case. Takes photos of the camera and the memory cards. He notes information displayed on the screen when it is turned on.
--Often times the battery is dead and if the camera doesn't have internal memory. In this case this Canon DSLR does not have internal memory. The battery was dead. He checked the memory card, 4 gigabyte compact flash card. He forensically copied it.
--Dworkin preserved the forensic copy. Dworkin ensures that the forensic copy and the original are compared bit for bit to make sure they are the same.
--Dworkin was asked to look for images on the camera in allocated and unallocated space. Unallocated space photos are for the purpose of this discussion deleted photos.
--Wilmott asks Dworkin about when he picked up the camera it had been seized by Mesa PD, Martinez objects due to hearsay and Wilmott says not for an expert. Counsel approach the bench.

--Dworkin received the camera from Mesa, PD and it was in a shopping bag that has special markings on it. It is a paper evidence bag. Exhibit #364.
---------------------------------------
February 4, 2013 morning testimony part 2

Part 2

--Dworkin goes over the paper evidence bag and all the notes on it. The camera and camera bag were given to Dworkin in this evidence bag. There are signatures and dates on it. Whenever an evidence bag is opened by police they sign their name and the date when the evidence is accessed. There are numerous markings on this bag.
--The camera was originally impounded, placed in the evidence locker, on July 21, 2008.
--Dworkin's understanding is that this Canon camera belongs to Jodi. Exhibit #364 (Jodi's camera)
--The memory card from the camera, that contained unallocated (deleted) and allocated photos.
Exhibits #413, #414,#415, #417 were pulled from the camera. Martinez asks that the witness to hold the photos down so that they are not seen.
--Dworkin explains how the camera imbeds information into a digital photo. Such as date and time, possibly information about camera settings such as aperature.
--File system data has to do with managing the information. The photos in question had file system information.

--Exhibits #413, #414, #415, and #417 all have file system information on them. #417 also has ?exif?? information. These photos were taken from the memory card from the Canon camera. Wilmott askes to have the photos entered into evidence. Martinez asks to see the exhibits. Martinez objects to the relevance and objects to #417 in particular and says that one is hearsay. Counsel approach and the jury is excused and told they will be brought back shortly.
-------------------------------------------
February 4, 2013 Afternoon testimony
Witness Lonnie Dworkin still on the stand

REDIRECT--re: #419, records of the internet history from Travis' computer. These entries were from between 0400 and 0435 in the morning of June 4, 2008. Other than that particular time frame there was approximately 100,000 total entries...99,000+ entries. Dworkin was never asked to look at any of the UTube videos.
--re: broken hard drive of Jodi's. Dworkin saw the broken hard drive and saw the mirror image of it. The forensic copy is in a forensic format and you need a viewer to look at it. You need the forensic tool to view it. Dworkin had to use the software to look at it. Dworkin doesn't know how many pictures were on the hard drive. He checks his records. He is unable to do that at this time.
--When Dworkin used Endcase on the mirror image there was thousands of images and files that were recovered. He had to run recovery scripts for "quite some time", for days.

JURY QUESTIONS

1) are date and time stamps on photos taken by digital cameras, can they be manually manipulated?
Answer: the photo of the file would have to exist first and then go and change the time/date.
It applies to "exsif" information as well.

Dworkin did not attempt to turn on the camera as it had been stored for a long time and there was no reason to do it at the time. Dworkin did not see any evidence of time stamp manipulation.

Martinez asks about #413, is it possible that the photo of Jodi and her sister, could it have been taken in 2007 and then uploaded or downloaded in 2008? Witness answer : "anything is possible".

Martinez asks that Dworkin is subject to recall.
"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back