Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a minute. Willing to dodge the rotten apples or oranges :D

Let's give 17 the benefit of the doubt for a minute and say she wasn't a stealth juror, and by that I mean she didn't try to get on the jury just to hang it. She thought she'd walk in and see a "monster," but instead who she saw and heard was a woman she could relate to about being abused. She was predisposed to believing DV, and when it was presented to her, she believed it.

She wanted to focus on the mitigators because that's what she thought she was supposed to do. Early on, she was not alone in her vote against the DP. One by one the other dissenters swung to the DP and then she was very alone. Eleven to 1. Five jurors walked back to deliberations and immediately voted death. That's strong conviction, and it doesn't sound like they were the quiet types. The others who swung to death were persuaded by deliberations, were not coerced, had to overcome personal religious beliefs (at least some of them), and were not going to be persuaded back or allies of the 1.

17 wanted to focus on the journals because she believed the journals best reflected who JA really was and what she thought. JA speaks about suicide a lot in those journals, and I'm willing to bet those entries about depression and suicide rang some bell in 17. 17 felt sympathy for her, believed what she read about JA's pain, connected it to DV, and thought it was important for the other jurors to understand just that. They didn't.

17 attached her beliefs to mitigators. She was offended the other jurors didn't believe JA, and felt personally attacked when the jurors stated their disbelief, especially as their disbeleif became loud and felt hostile.

When asked....or, rather, when the 11 DEMANDED she tell them of a scenario in which she imagine giving the DP, she didn't answer because she thought that whatever she said would be used against her somehow. She didn't see the question as straightforward... she felt the 11 weren't interested in her opinions- they'd been rejected, but just another way to beat her down until she agreed with them. So she didn't answer.

That is one scenario, anyway. :)

Possibly.

But if so, I am still totally shocked that anyone who had truly suffered from abuse would fall for JAs claims. Its mind boggling to me and I have seen several cases where jurors were abuse survivors. In fact every time I serve on a jury I have to go into great detail about being abused by my ex-husband and I have been selected 5 times to serve. Not once did my own experience enter my verdict or deliberations. I looked at the totality of evidence searching for substantiations for any claims made.

There was a case in NC where a female murdered her husband who was divorcing her. She claimed he had abused her for 20 years. I remember there was at least one on the jury that either had suffered from abuse or had a family member who had. Not one person on that jury believed the defendant. In fact they felt she was the one who had tormented him before she wound up murdering him. Just because a juror has abuse in their past isn't a surety they are going to fall for the female defendant's pack of lies. I would say #17 is a rarity instead of the norm. Or I hope like hell she is.

But I guess there really are some people that simply believe abuse claims if they have been abused themselves. I cant wrap my mind around that though because domestic violence survivors usually have a keen sense when hearing false claims of abuse and can smell the BS a mile away.

If she was going to look at the case fairly she should have removed her own abuse history from deliberations and shouldn't have let it cloud her vision.

Even JAs claims of abuse had no ring of truth to them. When looking at them overall ...even including both claims of abuse by Travis, and her family.. they were very shallow claims, and had inconsistencies all in them.

I truly hope she is never on another jury. Many brutal murderers suffer from some type of personality disorder... yet certainly know right from wrong, and may also deserve death like JA. If we start excusing murderers with personality disorders then victims are going to continue to be shortchanged when it comes to the just and correct punishment.........just like Travis was, imo.

I still find this juror very immature. What difference does it make what JA looks like? Does #17 really believe that premeditated murderers must look like a monster? I find that ridiculous. Didn't she even realize like the others that JA was trying to manipulate the jury into believing she was one way instead of the true monster she really is? She sure played right into JAs hands.

Its interesting that out of all the people that I have talked with about this case in the past few years who are genuine survivors of abuse..........not ONE has ever believed JA suffered from abuse. They don't even believe she suffered abuse at the hands of her family.

And we all know by now when JA testifies it is in that full flat affect of hers exhibiting no emotion or genuine truthfulness. Why juror #17 didn't pick up on that is odd because when a survivor is talking about real abuse they have experienced in their lives the tone and inflection is raw with emotions. Yet #17 bought it even though she even admitted that she saw no remorse from Arias.

All I can say and I"ll go on record saying it, I will eat Tex Mex' "Mystery" - *Anything She Puts in Front of Me*.

And, also for the record, even when I *was* petite, I was never petite. :blushing:

This needs to be reposted! And MDLR used to be a Victim Advocate...even the real VA in that courtroom can't wrap their head around this. Unreal.
JMO--BBM-That is just plain scary. And sad.

Which is weird, and goes to show how far off perceptions can be. Yesterday I watched a news segment where Troy Hayden said that one of the things that struck him about her (in person), was that her hands were smaller than his 13yo (I think) daughter. How can that be when some of her features seem too big or out of proportion, judging by what we've seen in photos and on video?

That is weird because I've seen her in person and always thought her hands appeared monstrously out of proportion in the large department. :huh:

I'm sure this is a silly question...but do we know for sure that she failed to reveal she "knew" Juan prosecuted her husband? TIA

ETA: great post!

She must have or he wouldn't have let her on. No question. There's no way she revealed this information. The question of whether you know the defendant or attorneys or judge is asked in open court. And she said nothing, clearly, or it would have been in the trial notes.

CLIFF NOTES- jury deliberations (Jen-Foremen interview)

Going back to deliberate: “the stress was beyond belief. “

The deliberation room was crowded: “To give you an idea we had part of Travis’s bathroom sink in the room with us….. The room was just crowded as we all took a seat around the very long table”..

Discussed mitigators first.

1. Age: 11 - NO. 1 YES (17).

THIS BUGS ME NO END. How is her age of 28 a mitigating factor of any kind?

If juror 17 was so set in her belief system, why didn't she try and sway everybody else in the room into imposing a life sentence ?

She didn't even make an attempt to show ONE person in that room why a life sentence would be more appropriate.

It's called deliberating. She didn't, she wouldn't.

Stealth juror with a pre-set agenda......just like the foreman suspected.

I'm watching the opening statements now and it occurs to me that, knowing Nurmi was the 'social media watchdog' during the retrial, part of his zest to get so many jurors dismissed (aside from jury attrition/mistrial purposes) was to make sure J17 remained on the jury. IMO he likely sleuthed them all and knew she'd be one of the most friendly to the DT even if he didn't know about JM's previous prosecution (was it her ex or current hub at the time? I'm still a little behind on fine details).

Maybe HE'S "Pandora" :giggle:

She must have or he wouldn't have let her on. No question. There's no way she revealed this information. The question of whether you know the defendant or attorneys or judge is asked in open court. And she said nothing, clearly, or it would have been in the trial notes.

She may not have known.

Personally I don't see how she could not have, or could have forgotten if she had known, but it's possible and without proof that's just my personal opinion, and could be totally wrong.

One obvious conclusion: juror 17 DELIBERATED. The foreperson should not have sent a second note without taking a vote, IMO. Why did he?

Maybe 17 saw that he had written that no-vote vote and wrote her own because of it. I understand that jurors were frustrated with her, but I'm beginning to see why she shut down.

J17 never should have been on the jury. Had she been honest in either voir dire or in the written questionnaire, she would have revealed that she knew or had prior contact with a party in the case--Mr. Martinez.

What she did or didn't do in the deliberations room is irrelevant because she never should have made it that far. The evidence points to her having an agenda and the other jurors became aware of that even without knowledge of that evidence.

J17 has retained an attorney to defend herself and remains under police protection.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news.../jodi-arias-juror17-bill-montgomery/70221732/

All I get from all three of the "news"/editorials is that azcentral is most definitely anti-DP.

Not a single one of the three mentioned that the pro-JA sites had posted all of the other jurors names(including middle initials and some webpages), and what did they post for #17, why just a bolded "JUROR THAT SAVED JODI'S LIFE".... as for how juror 17's name got out there, that's the crux of the matter imo.

As for people angry about the millions literally wasted over a trial that got hung, let alone that it was also the victim's family that wanted a different outcome, because of one person that is seen to have "slipped under the radar", what did they expect, of course people are going to vent.

As to whether she was stealth or not, a proper review of what was asked and answered should reveal that(I don't see any harm in people here speculating as to how or why, it's not like we have any clout or this case would have been finished as quickly as the majority of murders with not only pretty hard circumstantial evidence but also a confession, that means weeks and not years).

Finally, if it is found that this juror subverted justice for her own ends, then in the name of Justice, she should face some consequences. Subverting justice is not the way to change law, all that does is make it even more irrelevant to those who already have a disregard for it and encourages people to take the law into their own hands, something that the system is supposed to prevent.:moo:

I'm watching the opening statements now and it occurs to me that, knowing Nurmi was the 'social media watchdog' during the retrial, part of his zest to get so many jurors dismissed (aside from jury attrition/mistrial purposes) was to make sure J17 remained on the jury. IMO he likely sleuthed them all and knew she'd be one of the most friendly to the DT even if he didn't know about JM's previous prosecution (was it her ex or current hub at the time? I'm still a little behind on fine details).

Where are you watching OS?

BREAKING NEWS~!!! Air Force One just landed in Phoenix (10 min from my house) and Barack Obama just deplaned. I wonder if JA is assuming he rushed here to set Arpaio straight about the restrictions just placed on her. How many JA supporters are there hoping to follow his motorcade to the jail (only to land at the VA hospital)?

:salute:
...or award him the Presidential Medal of Honor...

She was aksed if she knew any of the players from this trial. And she said nothing. She is a liar. If I did what she did I would expect to be called a liar too.

We can try and play semantics. We can try and pass the blame around. But it is a straight forward question that seems pretty easy to understand for most people.

She cant play the i didn't know card either. She had enough knowledge to marry him the day before sentencing to get wife privilege/immunities. That screams to me she was aware of his case

She may not have known.

Personally I don't see how she could not have, or could have forgotten if she had known, but it's possible and without proof that's just my personal opinion, and could be totally wrong.

I could be wrong too. But how could she not have known? It makes no sense. If your husband is on trial you know who the prosecutor is especially one so distinct.

I could be wrong too. But how could she not have known? It makes no sense. If your husband is on trial you know who the prosecutor is especially one so distinct.

My first question would be: Did you attend your ex-husbands trial?

I'd also be pulling the transcripts and everything else available, especially for verdict day and sentencing .. see what can be dug up, and see if she messes up any of her answers. If there were media articles on the case I'd have a look at those too, because sometimes the family of the accused is mentioned, interviewed or photographed.

If she lies about that .. then the rest is probably lies too.

Actually, in regards to that case, maybe we could pull articles ourselves right? I'm actually headed out the door, but a quick look into media for that trial could be revealing KWIM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member