Dominican Republic - American tourists found dead in resorts, same cause of death, 2018/2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think as tourists that no matter where in the World that we visit whereby the standards of living are generally of a lesser quality, we have to be extremely careful. It’s certainly pause for thought as to how these deaths are occurring and any patterns that may become evident... OT but I visited an area of Thailand with my husband in 1998 which was on the outskirts but still a touristy destination and we went to a bar at 7pn and ordered a bottled beer each so that we could have some control over the safety of our drinks. I hadn’t even had half of the bottle when I became semi unconscious and fell off my bar stool. I flaked out and Was woke up at 330pm the following day, some 20.5 hours later!!! I was then told that my husband had to get some other English speaking tourists to assist in carrying me back to our hotel because although only 5 ft 5 inches tall and 119lbs, I was apparently a total ‘dead unmovable weight ‘ and the local Thai Police arrived, 4 of them, and proceeded to have a ‘tug of war’ with my husband and assisting public, with my unconscious body! They were trying to take me and my husband,fearing what may happen to me whilst unconscious and in their presence , fought desperately hard to stop them and thankfully was successful. I do not and did not at the time, recall anything of this and my only memory was of being at the bar for approximately 30 minutes and then waking up over 20 hours later with no memory whatsoever of the previous evening events. A truly terrifying scenario.

Will be interesting to see if more people come forward. I feel like cases like these were brushed under the rug, so tourist keep coming. I won't be going to the DR. My mom went probably 5 years ago and didn't like the gated resort with men carrying guns around.. That feels extremely scary. I've been to Mexico and never felt unsafe but with the past few years, the amount of tourist deaths, I won't be back again. Which is really sad, to lose tourist, the majority of the people there work very hard and make very little money. I remember one of the host at our resort, work 6 days a week, would travel an hour away to get to work everyday, 9-9. Sorry to go so far off topic, if you read this. I do hope DR and Mexico can make it feel safe again. And I've been to lot of countries around the world, and never met one who hate me because I was from the US.

I agree on the pesticides issue, and would be interested to know about the health problems or deaths of any workers at the resort. I bet that absolutely nothing would be reported on that, if it occurred.

Most Americans are very fastidious about bugs, cockroaches, which are a norm in tropical climates, especially huge ones. The resort probably uses barrels of pesticides to kill off bugs, so the vacationers don't get freaked.

So glad I don't live in Florida any longer!

This link is about organophosphate poisoning

Organophosphate Poisoning

Snipped from article:
"The primary signs of organophosphate poisoning include: ‘salivation, bronchorrhea, bronchospasm, sweating, colicky abdominal pain, diarrhoea, miosis, fasciculation progressing to muscle paralysis, and bradycardia leading to asystole."

Also from the article:
"The patient can have wheezing, chest tightness, and productive cough. The bronchorrhea can be significant with frothy and/or bloody sputum and severe pulmonary oedema. Toxic myocardiopathy has been noted in some severe OP poisonings."

This link is about organophosphate poisoning

Organophosphate Poisoning

Snipped from article:
"The primary signs of organophosphate poisoning include: ‘salivation, bronchorrhea, bronchospasm, sweating, colicky abdominal pain, diarrhoea, miosis, fasciculation progressing to muscle paralysis, and bradycardia leading to asystole."

Also from the article:
"The patient can have wheezing, chest tightness, and productive cough. The bronchorrhea can be significant with frothy and/or bloody sputum and severe pulmonary oedema. Toxic myocardiopathy has been noted in some severe OP poisonings."

Dominican authorities say tourist died of heart attack | WTOP

So i’m Confused. They r only doing toxicology report on the MD couple? The PA woman is the one everyone is questioning what she ingested in the moments leading to her death. Why wouldn’t they be running toxicology reports on all 3 victims and why is there suddenly so many changes to the story? Sounds to me like they r trying to dismiss this as PA woman died from natural causes and MD couple died from accidental OD, double suicide, or murder suicide. JMO

I’d be curious to know if any other American’s were staying at the same resort during the same time frame. And if so did they take advantage of their room mini bar? Anyone see anywhere where anyone has spoken out about being there at the same time?

I'm almost positive there were other Americans there only from its popularity (of course this is speculation, I don't have proof of other Americans at the resort). My fiance and I are getting married on August 17, 2019 and taking our honeymoon directly after. We are on a tight budget so did our honeymoon shopping on "cheapcaribbean.com" (after it was suggested by several people who took several vacations using that website. Please don't have any ill will toward the site, I only mention it because it is popular for booking Caribbean all inclusives). Bahia Principe (hotel in question) was our original FIRST choice for our honeymoon because they had an incredibly good deal going on and were very well advertised on that particular website. We ultimately changed our minds (prior to this) because we wanted something a little nicer for our honeymoon. Several members of various bridal facebook groups I'm a part of have just changed their plans from that resort, or the DR in general.

I say all this to only mention that this isn't a little mom and pop resort, but a very popular, highly advertised (and given fairly decent reviews, prior to this of course) resort.

I've seen a few different opinions but ultimately do you guys think it is someone deliberately poisoning American tourists or an issue with the hotel? Either now known and trying to hide, or accidental. I feel like my opinion (and perhaps others) might be biased because this information is coming out in the midst of a woman being beaten to near death in the same area. I've personally been following mostly through the eyes of brides and people freaking out about their honeymoons being ruined and thus throwing things out there like "there's a serial killer on the loose!"

Finally, I see a lot of information about pesticides- please help me understand- are airborne pesticides dangerous to some when sprayed? I know there's also discussion she may have drank them.

(All thoughts expressed in this post are MOO)

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/40601827/early-autopsy-results-are-so-far-inconclusive-for-3-americans-who-died-at-a-dominican-republic-resort
Authorities released details Thursday of the preliminary autopsy reports for the Pennsylvania woman as well as Maryland couple Nathaniel Holmes and Cynthia Day. While it remains unclear what may have caused their deaths, officials offered a glimpse into the conditions of their bodies.

The couple had internal bleeding, including in their pancreases. Holmes had an enlarged heart and cirrhosis of the liver -- both signs of significant pre-existing disease. Day also had fluid in her brain. The couple also had fluid in their lungs, Attorney General Jean Alain Rodriguez Sanchez's office said in a statement.

There are many stories about hotel staff cleaning coffee pots/glasses with industrial cleaners or furniture polish instead of soapy water; washing them with 'toilet water', literally.

If that drink was poured into a glass, it could have been cleaned with anything on their trolley.

We only drink from sealed beverages and from the beverage container. I would never use liquor from an open bottle, just too risky.

I tend to go with poisoning in this case but not necessarily intended to make them ill/kill them.

I also wonder how much 'covering up' will happen, many of these places in paradise are totally reliant on the tourist trade.

I agree with @Hell0000nurse (that the problem stems from the hotel, and not from an individual targeting people). As another poster noted, I have to wonder if they aren't using the pesticides in the rooms? I know that the presence of bugs in the rooms is a frequent complaint on TripAdvisor for many DR resorts. So maybe this property is trying to deal with that problem in an inappropriate way (like heavy spraying for pesticides in the room)? I imagine (even hope) anyone who has ever gotten sick in the DR will come forward with their experience.

Edited to add: Best wishes to you, @TedERoosevelt!

This pertains to Mexico, but who knows?
U.S. State Department warns tourists about tainted alcohol at Mexico resorts after blackouts reported
Dec 29 2017
"The updated warning comes in the wake of a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel investigation surrounding a Wisconsin woman’s death that raised questions about drinks being served in all-inclusive resorts in Mexico.

RELATED: Tourists to all-inclusive resorts in Mexico suspect they were given tainted alcohol

RELATED: A Mexican vacation, a mysterious death, and now endless questions for Wisconsin family

Following the initial report, the Journal Sentinel has received accounts from more than three dozen people reporting similar experiences after drinking limited amounts of alcohol at such resorts.

“Following these reports and in consultation with our Posts in Mexico, we updated our Country Specific Information for Mexico to provide updated safety information regarding potentially tainted alcohol,” the department official said in the email.

The blackouts have happened to men and women, young and old, to singles and to couples, according to interviews with travelers and family members whose loved ones died or were injured at the resorts, as well as hospital records, ambulance receipts, hotel correspondence and other documents.

Abbey Conner, a 20-year-old from Pewaukee, died in January after being pulled listless from a pool at the Paraiso del Mar, part of a cluster of Iberostar resorts near Playa del Carmen, Mexico. She was brain dead, and a few days later was flown to Florida, where she was taken off life support.

Her brother, 22-year-old Austin, also reported blacking out. He had a lump on his forehead and a severe concussion. The two had arrived with their mother and step-father at the resort just hours earlier and had been drinking at a swim-up bar.

Numerous others told the Journal Sentinel of similar experiences, with several couples reporting blacking out at the same time. A woman from Neenah reported being sexually assaulted, while her husband woke with a broken hand.

Blackout incidents have happened at Iberostar’s property in Cancun and at the company's cluster of resorts 30 miles to the south in Playa del Carmen. Incidents were also reported at other all-inclusive resorts in the region."

(Posting this here:
Mexico Travel Advisory - 22 Aug, 2018 )

I’m behind here but just wanted to say I saw this in HLN yesterday morning and at that time there was discussion of this been investigated as a flu?

Also, O/T, an American couple just died in Fiji from a “Super Flu”?

I agree with @Hell0000nurse (that the problem stems from the hotel, and not from an individual targeting people). As another poster noted, I have to wonder if they aren't using the pesticides in the rooms? I know that the presence of bugs in the rooms is a frequent complaint on TripAdvisor for many DR resorts. So maybe this property is trying to deal with that problem in an inappropriate way (like heavy spraying for pesticides in the room)? I imagine (even hope) anyone who has ever gotten sick in the DR will come forward with their experience.

Edited to add: Best wishes to you, @TedERoosevelt!

We talked a lot about pesticides in regards to these two and the woman who died 5 days prior in the thread Found Deceased - Dominican Republic - Orlando Moore & Portia Ravenelle, from NY on vacation, April 2019

Atleast twice when I stayed in the Dominican I got a notice under the door saying they were spraying for pests and to stay out of the room during a certain period. Plus with the death/effects the family in St. John it could be a likely cause:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2015/09/10/us...ny-on-vacation-april-2019.436050/page-36&rm=1

A flu killing that quickly
I’m behind here but just wanted to say I saw this in HLN yesterday morning and at that time there was discussion of this been investigated as a flu?

Also, O/T, an American couple just died in Fiji from a “Super F

With this couple and the woman 5 days before them- A flu killing that quickly and causing hemorrhage, enlarged heart, and pulmonary edema? Unlikely. But if it was some sort of virus that is extremely scary and likely a lot more people would be ill.

There are many stories about hotel staff cleaning coffee pots/glasses with industrial cleaners or furniture polish instead of soapy water; washing them with 'toilet water', literally.

If that drink was poured into a glass, it could have been cleaned with anything on their trolley.

We only drink from sealed beverages and from the beverage container. I would never use liquor from an open bottle, just too risky.

I tend to go with poisoning in this case but not necessarily intended to make them ill/kill them.

I also wonder how much 'covering up' will happen, many of these places in paradise are totally reliant on the tourist trade.

And no one will be the wiser next year. It will all be forgotten.

Look at how many people are missing or have weird experiences on cruise ships. That does not seem to stop people

https://www.healthandenvironment.org/docs/ToxipediaPesticideUseinDevelopingNationsArchive.pdf

ngerous and outdated pesticides, most of which have been banned in the US and EU, still pose an immense threat to the health and environment of many developing nations. Many of these pesticides are highly toxic, environmentally persistent chemicals. Developing nations purchase outdated pesticides because they are cheaper. Aid organizations or industrialized nations may offer excess pesticides as donations to developing nations, which lack the means and the funds to dispose of old pesticides. Poor legislative abilities and lack of research also contribute to the problem. Illiteracy and lack of information puts workers at risk, who often fail to protect themselves. These pesticides are also stored in substandard conditions, where they leak, contaminating soil and water. (sources: FAO, PAN-UK, Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, Africa Recovery)
"Most developing countries are left with large stocks of obsolete pesticides. Generally, these are excess pesticides that can no longer be used because they have deteriorated as a result of prolonged storage, or because their use has been banned while they were still kept in store. They are now regarded as hazardous waste. Due to lack of environmentally sound disposal facilities in developing countries, the total volume of such stocks is gradually increasing. Most of the stocks are kept in sub-standard stores and are in a deplorable state. Drums are stored in the open, exposed to direct sunlight and rain. As time goes by, containers deteriorate and start leaking. This process is

often accelerated by unfavourable climatic conditions. These obsolete stocks invariably pose a severe threat to human health and the environment, particularly if they are located in urban areas or near water bodies, which unfortunately is often the case. Ground water, irrigation water and drinking water are at risk. Direct exposure of human beings, livestock or food is another danger. Disasters caused by obsolete pesticides can be expected if adequate action is not taken to address the present situation."
(source: Pesticide Action Network UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member