Found Deceased Dominican Republic - Orlando Moore & Portia Ravenelle, from NY on vacation, April 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The building across the street from the crash site in the video is a home goods store called Janam Muebles.

Here it is shown on a map and a few Google Earth images of the sea across the street.

On the map, it shows the store is located West of Highway 7.

Address:
Janam Muebles
Marginal Las America’s
Oeste 4
Santo Domingo Este
Are those light poles I faintly see or just electric poles? I’m wondering if that area of the autopista was dark or not at 1:30 am? One would think they would have lights the closer you get to the airport. Can you tell how far they actually were from the airport when the accident occurred?

The eight days is unimaginable.

In one of the articles linked above ( I think it was the one with the headline about alcohol, speeding etc. being a factor in the accident) her friend of 25 years was in DR searching for her while she was alive in the hospital.

She actually found out she had been located on her way back to the airport to go home (days after after Portia had died. ) She mentions that she could have been holding her hand...
So terribly sad.
Edited to link up article.
Drinking and speeding may have contributed to couple's fatal car crash in the Dominican Republic | Daily Mail Online

I think I remember hearing that. So she was actively searching and again, the dots were never connected. She could have been there as could her entire family have been with her. Yep, eight whole days... I guess here we just assume it is standard when looking for missing people to call hospitals and see if there are any Jane Does... Not to mention someone in that condition had something happen to her and LE would be involved in determining what...

I can't help it, it just does not fit with any standard logic whatsoever... The way it stands now anyhow.

Are those light poles I faintly see or just electric poles? I’m wondering if that area of the autopista was dark or not at 1:30 am? One would think they would have lights the closer you get to the airport. Can you tell how far they actually were from the airport when the accident occurred?
I have tried unsuccessfully to find this out. Way back several pages ago...I had mentioned I thought it was around 45 minutes to the airport just from looking at a map. I think I was way off. I think they were sadly much closer to the airport.

I think I remember hearing that. So she was actively searching and again, the dots were never connected. She could have been there as could her entire family have been with her. Yep, eight whole days... I guess here we just assume it is standard when looking for missing people to call hospitals and see if there are any Jane Does... Not to mention someone in that condition had something happen to her and LE would be involved in determining what...

I can't help it, it just does not fit with any standard logic whatsoever... The way it stands now anyhow.

Agree 100%

About 4 or 5 miles

Has this been discussed? They were already running very late? Anyone know where the toll was?

An image from a toll plaza near Las Américas International Airport in Santo Domingo apparently shows the car the couple was using the night of the accident and it was photographed after they were supposed to board their flight.

New York couple vacationing in Dominican Republic presumed dead, police say

Authorities had confirmed that Mr Moore and Ms Ravenelle passed a toll booth on the way to Santo Domingo at 01:41 on 27 March.

New York holidaymakers presumed dead

They do appear to be light poles on the highway but if I zoom in any further, it gets too blurry to make them out..

From the home goods store across from the crash site to the airport it’s only about 11 minutes (8.2 km) away.
Map below.

Attachments

• 2522A4C4-AF9E-4ABB-A993-A297846B5182.jpeg
    2522A4C4-AF9E-4ABB-A993-A297846B5182.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 4EDA608A-1EE7-4690-BDC2-7ACC950356FE.jpeg
    4EDA608A-1EE7-4690-BDC2-7ACC950356FE.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 11
  • 6D928DD5-9B36-4114-956A-2831E0C9753D.jpeg
    6D928DD5-9B36-4114-956A-2831E0C9753D.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 11
I am going to post a map link again that is a really good one for putting to satellite and zooming quite a ways in for detail. Now that we have some other alleged location information.

To come off of 7 and end up in the ocean where it says does not make much sense when you look at this, the car would have to travel over lanes of traffic, a median, more lanes of traffic, etc. and then all of the way down to the ocean. You would be reacting long before that point.

If they were traveling on the right toward the airport they had to be coming from the wrong direction and somewhere they never should have been. They have said they think they had gotten mixed up and turned around, well, how do they know that? Of course to make sense of it, that or something has to be explained. Again, video? I doubt that somehow. Let's see it.

I base the above on the fact it looks like you cannot access that side of the highway from 7 until going through an underpass a ways to the east so they could not be on that side of the highway heading towards the airport unless they were NOT coming off of 7 but coming from the wrong direction on the highway.

They also seem to think he was driving and I see no way they would know this. At least nothing to document it that has been provided.

I would add that it was made quite clear she made sure their phones were charged and GPS working. So I guess GPS screwed up if it told them to hang a right off of 7 instead of a left.

imo.

They do appear to be light poles on the highway but if I zoom in any further, it gets too blurry to make them out..

From the home goods store across from the crash site to the airport it’s only about 11 minutes (8.2 km) away.
Map below.

They look like light posts to me. Great info.

Has this been discussed? They were already running very late? Anyone know where the toll was?

An image from a toll plaza near Las Américas International Airport in Santo Domingo apparently shows the car the couple was using the night of the accident and it was photographed after they were supposed to board their flight.

New York couple vacationing in Dominican Republic presumed dead, police say

Authorities had confirmed that Mr Moore and Ms Ravenelle passed a toll booth on the way to Santo Domingo at 01:41 on 27 March.

New York holidaymakers presumed dead

The toll booth is just up 7 from the intersection with the highway. This map if you put it on sattelite and zoom in, you can see it go over the full width of the road.
Las Americas International Airport to Samaná - 3 ways to travel via , and bus

They also said the picture at the toll booth showed the back of the car and who is in it, who is driving, etc. cannot be seen.

At minimum:

This is a tourism country--they make many $$ from tourism.

PR matters and an incident of foreigners missing is never a good thing.

Both the airline and most likely the rental car company would have notified authorities when the flight was missed and the car not returned. You basically have a stolen vehicle and a missing American couple at this point. This is a BIG deal.

Now, since we have a rental car and the flight was out of this airport, LE knows this couple would have traveled to the airport as well as have known the route once checking which hotel they stayed at as well as a time frame.

Right on this highway on the correct day, a woman was found, a car was seen in the ocean and a crash was heard allegedly ON the road.

The rental car is seen at the toll booth and now one has a minimum area from the toll booth to the airport. In that area a woman was found, a car was seen in the ocean and a crash heard on the highway, on the correct date.

Yet family is told no accidents, no one in hospitals, etc.

Of course it seems like this all occurred and LE was never notified of a missed flight, a rental car missing, a woman on the road, an unidentified woman in the hospital from the very area one would look... Not told of "fishermen" hearing a crash, seeing a car in the ocean... Wow.

Days later though there are fishermen who they now talk to... After EIGHT days the woman dies. During that time they had family already inquiring...

Show me an article about the unidentified woman in the hospital, found on the roadway, etc. and show me one about the body washed up on shore on the 31st? From when they discovered them, where and about the fishermen finding a woman, seeing a car in the ocean, hearing a crash on Los Americos Highway, etc. A Dominican article from the dates of these discoveries.

I doubt there are any. It seems like pretty big news to me... Imo it is because they knew it was these American tourists and their car. It may not even be a cover up in the sense of something else happened but they are not going to publish that happened there if they do not have to--at minimum.

I am waiting for video of checkout and confirmation of check out time. I am also waiting for them to get their locations straight because thus far they are not. And much more. If this is not a criminal investigation, then there is no reason the facts cannot be shared.

What was the sound of the crash? What was hit? Who hit them?

I am sure it is even worse for the families and they deserve the questions answered.

All jmo.

My friend goes to Punta Cana every year with her very very wealthy bf. I have never been to DR but he gets the best.

A couple of years ago there were dead bodies washing up on shore close to the resort.

I don’t remember how she found out, but they were the bodies of people trying to get away from Haiti.

I doubt if this was advertised anywhere.

I live in a Third World tourism country. About three years ago, over the space of a few months, three tourists drowned. Finally the cruise ship lines told them about safe swimming.

Tourists drown all the time in Hawaii. Is that advertised?

People miss planes all of the time. I doubt if anyone is looking for them.

My friend here works for a rental car place and there was a big scam here with rental cars. One was missing for several days but no one got very excited about it as they are rented with credit cards and the costs are automatic.No one is getting away with a car rental place, $$$$$$

I am not saying there was foul play but let's say there was. If there was, there is not one shred of anything then showing when this car went into the ocean or when she was either left on or reached the road. Not a single solitary shred. Or of when he went in. Unless they have better toll pictures than they claim, there is no evidence who was in the car even at that point.

There is a missing chunk of time from the bits known of this route of travel.

There is no time of accident, no time of death, no nothing. If she was truly found 12 hours after, then that is really the only timeline and that too is undocumented as is the time they left the hotel.

In fact, nothing is documented at all in this case that we are aware of. Not publicly.

Until that comes, I remain undecided.

jmo lol.

The toll booth is just up 7 from the intersection with the highway. This map if you put it on sattelite and zoom in, you can see it go over the full width of the road.
Las Americas International Airport to Samaná - 3 ways to travel via , and bus

They also said the picture at the toll booth showed the back of the car and who is in it, who is driving, etc. cannot be seen.

Thanks, I see it. Do we know they definitely came down 7 and through that toll?

EDIT Ignore that, I was looking at the wrong Bahia Principe, doh! Of course 7 is the obvious route. So... it took them much longer than it should have to get to that toll, should have been about 2 hours yet was more like 3.5 hours (10ish - 1:41). Have I got that right?

EDITED AGAIN. OK, so if they came down 7 they shouldn't have been anywhere near where they crashed (I know, I know, someone already said this I'm sure I read it earlier) so had they taken a wrong turn at the bottom of 7, already running late, and were booting it back towards the airport?

Last edited:
My friend goes to Punta Cana every year with her very very wealthy bf. I have never been to DR but he gets the best.

A couple of years ago there were dead bodies washing up on shore close to the resort.

I don’t remember how she found out, but they were the bodies of people trying to get away from Haiti.

I doubt if this was advertised anywhere.

I live in a Third World tourism country. About three years ago, over the space of a few months, three tourists drowned. Finally the cruise ship lines told them about safe swimming.

Tourists drown all the time in Hawaii. Is that advertised?

People miss planes all of the time. I doubt if anyone is looking for them.

My friend here works for a rental car place and there was a big scam here with rental cars. One was missing for several days but no one got very excited about it as they are rented with credit cards and the costs are automatic.No one is getting away with a car rental place, $$$$$$

Hi Human,

I appreciate your insight and know that you speak from experience.

I too have friends who love Punta Cana. I met them in Mexico and we traveled with them afterwards when they went back to Mexico but never went to the DR/Punta Cana with them.

I agree with most of what you said, that these areas do not "advertise" the bad and it is often covered up or kept quite because of tourism. It is actually my point, that it is done.

I would expect however to hear it in my area newspaper if I lived there, etc. but that may not be the case either. I do not mean you tell the world, but one would think the locals would know there was an accident on a major highway, a Jane Doe, etc. If not, then the very same reason is likely the reason for it.

I do think someone missing their flight is noted in most countries like this. I have seen it quite honestly. I am not saying the conclusion is jumped to that anything dire is wrong, it could simply be missing the flight. I actually knew a couple one year that thought their flight was a day after it was, boy did they have a mess when they showed up a day late as well as a very expensive long trip home to book something. So yes, it does happen. They found out though because they were being looked for, the flight was missed, LE called, the hotel was called and they were there so it was as far as it went.

The couple in this case also had an employee at the rental car agency who knew they were (1) traveling and returning the car and intending to that night; and (2) who called them and expressed concern and asked for advice about the drive that very day. In the number of days that followed, I am sure that would have come up.

I do not disagree with most of your statements at all, in fact I agree with them.

Hope all is well with you.

Edited to clarify

Last edited:
Do lights on the highway work?

DR is a poor country and only the resort areas are super nice.

I imagine there have to be well to do people but I am sure they live behind walled grounds.

Thanks, I see it. Do we know they definitely came down 7 and through that toll?

EDIT Ignore that, I was looking at the wrong Bahia Principe, doh! Of course 7 is the obvious route. So... it took them much longer than it should have to get to that toll, should have been about 2 hours yet was more like 3.5 hours (10ish - 1:41). Have I got that right?
I think your right.

First, we need it confirmed for sure what time they checked out of the hotel.

I wish we had a VI in this case. We could cut to the chase and get to the facts.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Looneybinmadness
Back