Donald Sutherland, Star of ‘MASH,’ ‘Klute’ and ‘Hunger Games,’ Dies at 88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

sds71

Reaction score
Donald Sutherland, the tall, lean and long-faced Canadian actor who became a countercultural icon with such films as “The Dirty Dozen,” “MASH,” “Klute” and “Don’t Look Now,” and who subsequently enjoyed a prolific and wide-ranging career in films including “Ordinary People” and “Without Limits,” has died, his agency, CAA, confirmed. He was 88.

For over a half century, Sutherland memorably played villains, antiheroes, romantic leads and mentor figures. His profile had recently increased with his supporting role as the evil President Snow in “The Hunger Games” franchise.

Sutherland won a supporting actor Emmy for HBO’s “Citizen X” in 1995 and was also nominated in 2006 for the Lifetime miniseries “Human Trafficking.”

Oh no ! I always had a soft spot for Donald Sutherland.
Years ago, when my daughter had to fly LAX to Montreal as an unaccompanied minor (visitation with her father), it happened that Donald Sutherland was on the same flight, several times. (he had a home in the Eastern Townships)
This was when I was still allowed to see her off at the gate. She flew 5 times a year.

I would see him arrive at the gate from the lounge and he was always kind with people who tried to approach him.
But it was the kindness to my daughter that struck me. She told me that as she passed him sitting in first class, he would smile at her and once said "nice to see you again". My daughter was between the ages of 7 and 11 then.

Rest in peace Mr. Sutherland.

Awww, I'm so sad to read this. Quite a remarkable and facile actor with a great range and an enormous list of movies, TV and theater that he acted in.

I fondly remember him in Animal House, The Dirty Dozen, even in Space Cowboys, and Klute

But of course, the unique only and only Hawkeye Pierce in M**advertiser censored*S*H.

What a marvellous talent. You recognized him instantly but then his acting took over and he was the part he was playing.

Thank you, thank you Donald for all the fine performances and the nuance you gave each one of them.

Donald Sutherland, the influential actor who graced film and television screens across multiple decades, has died at the age of 88, his son announced Thursday.

Kiefer Sutherland posted about his father's death on social media, describing him as "one of the most important actors in the history of film."

"Never daunted by a role, good, bad or ugly," he wrote. "He loved what he did and did what he loved, and one can never ask for more than that. A life well lived."...

Attachments

• IMG_2353.jpeg
    IMG_2353.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 3
Awww, I'm so sad to read this. Quite a remarkable and facile actor with a great range and an enormous list of movies, TV and theater that he acted in.

I fondly remember him in Animal House, The Dirty Dozen, even in Space Cowboys, and Klute

But of course, the unique only and only Hawkeye Pierce in M**advertiser censored*S*H.

What a marvellous talent. You recognized him instantly but then his acting took over and he was the part he was playing.

Thank you, thank you Donald for all the fine performances and the nuance you gave each one of them.
I loved Space Cowboys and so many other films, MASH, Ordinary People, JFK, Outbreak........
Such a talent. Condolences to his family & friends.

Rest in peace, Donald !
Thank you for sharing your talent with us.

My utmost condolences to all who loved him.

He was another actor whose films I'd go to -- even if not interested in the subject matter -- just to watch his skilled performances.
Such sad news. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChriNBelusk0
Back