'Dr Laura' uses the 'N-word on air

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Probably don't need two links but anyway here's another with some commentary:

http://www.rightcelebrity.com/?p=9794

The part about this whole thing that really bothers me is how she dragged the President into the discussion. Also her comment that she thought once we had a black president this would and should all go away- astoundingly naive.

I'd bet the woman who called could be on every talk show she wanted to- has she come forward?

OMG I totally agree with Nova! I think she was making a salient point about being offended by the word when it seems acceptable enough coming out of the mouths of only certain people with a certain color of skin which I'm sure Dr. L finds confusing and I also find confusing. People do need to grow up a bit; somehow this word now holds such power you can lose your job for saying it, but only if you are a certain skin color??? In my parents generation only the F word was considered the unthinkable thing to say. I get that it's disparaging but there are other horrible names to call ethnic people if you really want to be hurtful. Once it was said her handlers could foresee the s**t storm that was headed their way and decided to just try and get in front of it...hence apology etc.

That term has historically been used by white people to denigrate black people. Knowing this, it is hard to see why people could be confused as to why it is wrong for a white person to use this term. Black people don't use it in a pejorative way. It's not that hard of a concept.

I learned very early on the expression:
Sticks and stones will break my bones
but names will never hurt me

I grew up in the 50's and 60's in South Jersey. I never heard most of the disgusting words until I moved to Florida in '69. I simply chalked it up to people being uneducated and I still do.
Go to a mall on a Friday night there are the little tiny boppers on their own using the "F" word over and over. Its ugly, but again its just a word. We have freedom of speech, this is one of the downsides of that. So if I don't like it, I can leave, thats all there is to it.
To battle over the use of a word makes absolutely no sense to me. If you put yourself in a position where you allow words to be used as a weapon against you, you truly need to do some serious work on your priorities. There s alot more evil things going on in the world than worrying about someone calling you a "dirty word".
Call me the "b" word I will laugh in your face because you just crawled in the gutter and I think your a joke. LOL

I love this young man, and you all should hear what he says. Brilliant.

Gibby - thank you so much for this video! Brought tears to my eyes! Good for him, good for his dad and mom for teaching him! What a wonderful young man! May his message spread like wildfire!

Salem

I grew up in the 50's and 60's in South Jersey. I never heard most of the disgusting words until I moved to Florida in '69. I simply chalked it up to people being uneducated and I still do.
Go to a mall on a Friday night there are the little tiny boppers on their own using the "F" word over and over. Its ugly, but again its just a word. We have freedom of speech, this is one of the downsides of that. So if I don't like it, I can leave, thats all there is to it.
To battle over the use of a word makes absolutely no sense to me. If you put yourself in a position where you allow words to be used as a weapon against you, you truly need to do some serious work on your priorities. There s alot more evil things going on in the world than worrying about someone calling you a "dirty word".
Call me the "b" word I will laugh in your face because you just crawled in the gutter and I think your a joke. LOL

Unfortunately, historically, Black people did not "put" themselves in a position to have the N word used as a weapon against them, they were put in that position by those who used it against them. There's a big difference.

But from your post, I take it that wasn't the dirty word you were referring to.

This is not a valid argument in the least. There are many words (N**, Sh**, *advertiser censored*, C**, etc. etc) that are flaunted by a minority of people and yet are considered inappropriate, insulting, offensive and worse by the majority. There are women out there who like to refer to other women as C***s and B******s. So, am I "hyper-sensitive" if I am offended by the use of those words in reference to people of my gender. It should not be confusing to anybody who is sensitive to sexist language and behavior. Whether or not to use the N-word should not be confusing to anyone who is sensitive to racial issues.

I believe Ziggy was responding to a comment of mine and I disagree that the argument is invalid.

I was relying on third-hand accounts of what was said and may have misunderstood. But euphemisms are silly, whether it's "water closet" for lavatory or toilet, "hoo haw" for vagina, or the "N word." What's the point and where is the courtesy in using a stand-in which immediately creates the offensive word in the listener's head.

I think the N word (an expression I'm using here only because I'm a guest and typing the actual term seems to be frowned upon at WS) is indeed the most hateful word in American English. If should never be used with reference to a person or people, nor would it cross my mind to do so.

But if we're discussing the word in terms of its meaning and impact, then let's just say the word. That's not the same as using it as an racial slur.

As I'm getting more info, it now appears Dr. L was saying she uses the word in private and with joking reference to an employee of hers. That is inexcusable!

And, no, I don't think you are oversensitive to object to the use of sexist epithets. I object to them just as much as you do. But if we're discussing the words, then let's use the actual words, not some cutesy substitute.

That term has historically been used by white people to denigrate black people. Knowing this, it is hard to see why people could be confused as to why it is wrong for a white person to use this term. Black people don't use it in a pejorative way. It's not that hard of a concept.

I couldn't agree more. Words take their meaning in large part from context. There is a world of difference between white people using that word and African-Americans using it.

Dr. L is a loud, holier than thou, rude, brash "person" who constantly judges while thumping her bible. Sorry to beat around the bush and all, but I don't like peeps like that.

Dr. L is a loud, holier than thou, rude, brash "person" who constantly judges while thumping her bible. Sorry to beat around the bush and all, but I don't like peeps like that.

My son downloaded the clip of the call and annotated it- when you see her actual words along with the audio it becomes more horrific every time you listen to it. I think she has no understanding of her own prejudices, nor of history.
I admit to enjoying listening to her- I am retired and work PT in my home so just have the radio on most days, admire how she tells people to stand up for themselves in abusive situations, etc. My son is 14 and when home he gets a kick out of the calls, mostly I'm afraid becuase he thinks the callers are funny. I won't say I will never listen to her again but I think I will try to find something else for awhile, I just can't get past this.
IMO, she may be off the air in the next year. She has been increasingly snarky with callers for the past few months and I think she needs to hang it up and do something else.

Oh ya Florida is bad I actually saw the KKK march down the street in the 70's. It was in a little town called Davie.

I never saw anything like that and would have probably left the area if I had. Those are some scary people.

Oh ya Florida is bad I actually saw the KKK march down the street in the 70's. It was in a little town called Davie.

Hi Legalmania:

Saw the KKK march in GA way back like 20 years ago in the center of a town in an area that was called a square around a park. We marched on the other side to show we were not in support of what they were doing and their beliefs. Freedom of speech is still allowable so we did what we could. I agree they are some scary people. For years, I belonged to an organization that monitored KKK and Nazi activities. It was known as The Center for Democratic Renewal.

I have been to Davie FL too.

Goz

I'm a Nova High grad myself (and hence, my hat). I lived in Plantation (home of the "Plantation Colonels"--how offensive is that?!) but spent six years in junior and senior high in Davie.

Not such a little town anymore...

And BTW, I hate it that because I'm from Florida, people (usually Yankees) like to insist I don't know anything about Southern prejudice and the civil rights struggle. Most of Florida wasn't Miami Beach in those days and I remember segregation all too well.

Wow two people who know where Davie is, the thing I found puzzling is, if they were so brave why did they cover their face? If I were in charge of giving the permit for the march, I would have said fine you can march down the street but you have to show your face. I bet nobody would have went. They want to be tough, but are afraid to show who they are. I was so tempted to rip off one of their hoods, but I was young and probably would have ended up in juvenile hall.

Wow two people who know where Davie is, the thing I found puzzling is, if they were so brave why did they cover their face? If I were in charge of giving the permit for the march, I would have said fine you can march down the street but you have to show your face. I bet nobody would have went. They want to be tough, but are afraid to show who they are. I was so tempted to rip off one of their hoods, but I was young and probably would have ended up in juvenile hall.

Based on my admittedly limited experience of seeing the bare faces of Klansmen, I think it's just as well they stay covered up. Not a pretty crowd.

I saw the KKK once at a Gun Show of all places. They were recruiting. Police were all around them in case trouble broke out... I don't understand people like that, never will.

I have to share a story I heard from a black woman I worked with. She and her husband were visiting family in Alabama and were on a state highway. They noticed one of those signs about trash collection- you know, about how some civic association or other was policing and picking up the highway for the next mile. In this case it was the local KKK chapter! Sure enough they rounded a curve and there they were, 5-6 guys in white robes and with trash bags cleaning the parking. a couple of them waved at them.
That had to have been a surreal experience.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnelson
Back