Drew Peterson's Trial *FIFTH WEEK* part one

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
COME ON! Anyone would know that the minors couldn't inherit and the surviving spouse would get the money! Are these guys this ignorant? Seriously?

In Session The defense calls its next witness: Joseph Basile (questioned by attorney Joe Lopez). He is employed as an FBI special agent, assigned to the Chicago office. “Did you become involved in regard to a death investigation involving Mr. Peterson?” “It was actually the death of Kathleen Savio . . . I conducted several interviews, mostly of police officers of the Bolingbrook Police Department.” According to the witness, he is allowed to testify only with regard to “the 302” report that he has prepared in this case. “You can tell us that you were so assigned on April 10, 2008?” “I’d have to look at the 302.” The witness is then shown the 302 report. “The interview was conducted on April 10, 2008 . . . I was assigned by two others.” He names the two others who were with him at the time (both with the Illinois State Police). “Was your assignment to interview a certain Bolingbrook police officer?” “Yes.” “Did you interview that witness?” “Yes.” “Do you remember the name of the witness you testified that day?” “James Coughlin . . . [employed by] the Bolingbrook Police Department.”

I think what they were TRYING to show, was that the insurance policy would not have paid out in cases of MURDER, but since they did pay out, then it was not murder...?

Or that DP didn't murder her for the $$$?

IDK, I do know someone that got 1 million in a wrongful death lawsuit against a hospital. Was supposed to be for the 5 children. It is all gone in less than 10 years due to dad's "habits". So, IDK what the point in that testimony was.

In Session Judge: “You certainly wouldn’t be able to impeach Anna [Doman’s] testimony with something Susan said to the insurance agent. Or vice versa . . . I don’t see the support in my minutes or in the transcript that would identify this as testimony impeaching her so that it would be admissible . . . how would the fact that one person said that to the insurance agent indicate that the other person was being untruthful? . . . I don’t see how this impeaches that testimony . . . the witness is not going to be able to testify to either of those, because they don’t impeach anything

<snipped by me>

BBM
So Judge Jeannine Pirro was correct on her show Saturday when she asked Lopez if their 'impeachment witnesses' weren't collateral.

A million dollars brought in vs. monthly child support payments = lots of toys during mid life...oh my

my opinion...

In Session &#8220;Did you have occasion to ask him what he observed in the Will County Courthouse, in regard to Mr. Drew Peterson?&#8221; &#8216;Yes.&#8221; The witness is shown his report, to refresh his recollection. &#8220;Did Ofc. Coughlin tell you who he was with that day?&#8221; &#8220;Yes, Ofc. Trece (?).&#8221; &#8220;Did he tell you he saw Drew Peterson there?&#8217; &#8220;Yes.&#8221; &#8220;Did he tell you Drew Peterson was attending a hearing regarding his divorce from Ms. Savio?&#8221; &#8220;I don&#8217;t recall.&#8221; Once again, the witness is shown his report. &#8220;I was told by Mr. Coughlin that he saw and talked to Mr. Peterson, who was attending a hearing regarding his divorce from Ms. Savio . . . he originally saw him in a courtroom, where the matter was being heard.&#8221; &#8220;Did he tell you he peeked into a courtroom where the matter was being heard?&#8221; &#8220;Yes.&#8221; &#8220;Did he tell you the attorneys were laughing hysterically?&#8221; &#8220;Yes.&#8221; &#8220;Was he able to give you a time frame when that occurred? . . . in Feb. of 2004?&#8221; &#8220;Yes.&#8221; &#8220;And Mr. Coughlin looked into the courtroom and made an observation?&#8221; &#8220;Yes.&#8221; &#8220;You didn&#8217;t get it wrong in your statement, did you?&#8221; &#8220;No.&#8221; Objection/Overruled.&#8221; &#8220;Did he eve mention he saw Mr. Peterson by an elevator?&#8221; &#8220;I&#8217;d have to review the report again . . .not within this paragraph, although this report is six pages long.&#8221; There is a pause, as the witness reads the entire report to himself. &#8220;Did you use the word &#8216;elevator&#8217; anywhere in there?&#8221; &#8220;No.&#8221; That concludes the direct examination of this witness.

In Session Prosecutor Patton asks for a sidebar.

A bit of haggling btwen state & defense over whether the words "easier if she were dead" were an actual quote Coughlin said or paraphrase....

FBI agent says #DrewPeterson witness James Coughlin told him Drew complained his life would be "easier" if Kathy Savio were dead.

Basile says it was "something to that effect" .. "to the best of my recollection."

No further questions for Basile.

Okay....and the purpose of this witness for the defense was....? :floorlaugh:

This could/should be emotional testimony and testimony that could sway the jury. :twocents:

It could be emotional but I don't believe it would sway me one way or the other if I was on the jury simply because the children are caught in the middle between the loss of one parent and the remaining one telling them whatever they want to say every day after the spouse was killed. The children don't want to turn against their remaining parent and, depending on their age/maturity level at the time, they are probably easily (even unconsciously) swayed to side with the only parent they have left.

So unless they witnessed something relevant to the murder, imo it's only presented for the emotional impact on the jury.

[Lots of opinions floating around the twitterverse that the DT is having an EPIC FAIL on their first day presenting their case....:dance:]

Basile steps down, counsel calls Bolingbrook officer Bob Sud to the stand...

In Session The sidebar ends. Patton: &#8220;Didn&#8217;t he also tell you that the defendants said the laughter was the result of Savio getting all his money?&#8221; &#8220;Yes.&#8221; &#8220;Didn&#8217;t he also tell you that the defendant said, &#8216;My life would be much easier if she were dead?&#8221; &#8220;Yes.&#8221;

Another good one for the prosecution.

The Herald-News &#8207;@Joliet_HN
Greenberg: Kind of off-topic: if you had to wear a jersey today, what jersey would you be wearing? #DrewPeterson

The Herald-News &#8207;@Joliet_HN
Pontarelli: Sox. Greenberg: Instant credibility! #DrewPeterson

OMG!! :what:

Ok, this is kind of ot too. For all of you who follow cases and ask WHY something does not make the news in Chicago. This kind of joking is probably a good example of why. If it is not sports or politics related (or Tom Skilling's fantastic weather reports!) it is rarely media worthy.

Just saying. And I am actually a little surprised no one showed up in a Cardinals jersey. ;)

Katy IIRC they later found Drew did not habe any court appearances that month, therefore this could not of happened IMHO is where this is going.

In Session The sidebar ends. Patton: to FBI agent: &#8220;Didn&#8217;t he also tell you that the defendants said the laughter was the result of Savio getting all his money?&#8221; &#8220;Yes.&#8221; &#8220;Didn&#8217;t he also tell you that the defendant said, &#8216;My life would be much easier if she were dead?&#8221; &#8220;Yes.&#8221;

In Session The cross is now finished, and Lopez begins his redirect. The witness concedes that the report might not reflect the exact words that Peterson told Ofc. Coughlin. &#8220;These are words that were conveyed to me by Mr. Coughlin.&#8221; &#8220;They may not be verbatim of Mr. Coughlin?&#8221; &#8220;Correct.&#8221;

In Session On recross, the witness acknowledges that his report has quotation marks in it. He says that, to the best of his ability, he wrote verbatim what Couglin told him. The parties then go to a sidebar.

In Session The defense asks for a sidebar.

#drewpeterson. Bolingbrook cop Rob Sud on stand for defense, went to Savio home on night of death, describes scene..

Sud was called to the Savio home the night she was found. Says when paramedics found no vitals, he and another officer secured scene.

Sud: doesn't remember seeing a blue towel near Savio's tub

Sud says he doesn't recall if a blue towel was on the tub or not.

Sud says #DrewPeterson was "visibly upset." [ Big freakin deal..]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member