Drew Peterson's Trial *FOURTH WEEK*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG! Did I miss something? You mean now the hit testimony is out?? I have been away from the computer a couple of times and may have missed it.

If the hit man testimony is out, then I give up.

yep, last week he was barred.

OMG! Did I miss something? You mean now the hit testimony is out?? I have been away from the computer a couple of times and may have missed it.

If the hit man testimony is out, then I give up.

Hate to quote myself, but can anyone tell me if the hit man testimony is out? Please?

In Session The jurors are now back in the courtroom, and the judge admonishes them that “the nature of what Dr. Case reviewed, you’re to ignore that.” Prosecutor Glasgow resumes his direct examination of Dr. Mary Case. She says that she reviewed the case file and looked at photographs of the death scene “to find out everything that I possibly could.” She identifies a photograph showing “the deceased in the bathtub, as she was found . . .there’s a lot of detail there. She’s lying on her left side . . . there’s evidence there’s been water in the blood . . . you can see certain post-mortem changes about her body.” Another photograph shows “again the deceased at the scene, in the tub . . . the shelving around the tub has a large number of bath and other related items, including towels . . . none of those items are knocked down.” A third photograph shows “a purple color along the right breast; that’s a change we see after death . . . you can see there’s some bloody material that has drained; that’s actually coming from a wound at the back of hear head.”
In Session The witness was able to examine Dr. Bryan Mitchell’s autopsy protocol. “She was in a good state of health at the time that she died . . . she had a number of injuries about her body . .. a laceration at the back of the head, behind the ear and not all the way at the back of the head. It measured one inch, and was horizontal . . . there was no disease in her organs . . .I would classify [Dr. Mitchell’s results] as normal.”

I thought that was Stacy's friend that was out. I thought the judge ruled only this morning that the hitman could testify!

oh right, I'm sorry, I got mixed up.
Please excuse me, I need more coffee.

My apologies.

oh right, I'm sorry, I got mixed up.
Please excuse me, I need more coffee.

My apologies.

No problem, but I am an old woman and it sent my blood pressure up! Not good.

(I get mixed up also!)

THank GOD that the judge is going to let this highly credentialed doctor speak.....The bumps in this road are too high...it shouldn't be this hard:rollercoaster:
It is going to be a VERY LONG DAY unless of course the judge sends the jury home for some reason again.
This witness should be powerful and damaging. The defense will be tough on her. :grouphug:
In Session Judge Burmila returns to the bench. “During the break, I asked the parties to find for me the case … it’s an Illinois Supreme Court case from 1981. And in the decision, it was the first instance where the Illinois Supreme Court started to direct trial courts to leave behind the old methodology of proposing hypotheticals to expert witnesses . . . in this instance, when Mr. Glasgow told the doctor to go on [and give names], that was unnecessary . . . some of the people whose names she mentioned, their testimony was banned in this case, and that worries me . . . so when the jury comes back, I’m going to tell the jury to ignore the names of the people she said she relied on.” Attorney Goldberg: “We discussed Dr. Mitchell’s grand jury testimony . . . I want to make sure that the doctor [Case] is not going to rely upon uncross-examined testimony from Dr. Mitchell.” Judge: “She’s an expert, and if she says she saw something in his testimony, and she took it into account, she can do that. And you can cross-examine her about that.” Attorney Greenberg responds: “We have such a unique circumstance here, with what happened with Dr. Mitchell . . . they should not be able to have an expert testifying as to Dr. Mitchell; the jurors should never be allowed to hear that . . . there’s no reason for this witness to have to say what Dr. Mitchell said.” Prosecutor Kathy Patton then jumps in, and disputes Greenberg’s interpretation of the case law in question. Glasgow: “She is not going to say that she relied upon Dr. Mitchell’s grand jury testimony to form her opinion.” Judge: “We’re good to go, then.”

In Session The judge sends for the witness and the jury.

In Session The witness says she saw in Dr. Mitchell’s protocol some “mild thickening” in one of the valves of Savio’s heart. She says that is not uncommon for a woman of Savio’s age. “The lungs weighed about 900 grams . . . filled with a large amount of pulmonary edema fluid, which is an abnormal finding. But that’s part of the death process, the reason for her being dead . . . the appearance of the brain was normal. The only abnormal thing was cerebral edema; there was swelling of the brain . . . this is a change happening at the very end of her life. Other than that, her brain was normal . . . this is a woman who has died as a result of drowning . . . she has no other outstanding reason to be dead.”

In Session “The toxicology was negative.” “Did he [Dr. Mitchell] posit a cause of death?” “Yes, he did… drowning . . . by breathing water in . . . the statement that he made was that the laceration might have been related to a fall that led to her death.” “Was there any finding of manner of death in Dr. Mitchell’s protocol?” Objection/Sustained. The prosecutor asks for a sidebar.

In Session The sidebar ends. The judge excuses the jury from the courtroom.

***groan***

Thanks so much, Shelby1, for the great job you are doing!

In Session The jurors are now back in the courtroom, and the judge admonishes them that “the nature of what Dr. Case reviewed, you’re to ignore that.” Prosecutor Glasgow resumes his direct examination of Dr. Mary Case. She says that she reviewed the case file and looked at photographs of the death scene “to find out everything that I possibly could.” She identifies a photograph showing “the deceased in the bathtub, as she was found . . .there’s a lot of detail there. She’s lying on her left side . . . there’s evidence there’s been water in the blood . . . you can see certain post-mortem changes about her body.” Another photograph shows “again the deceased at the scene, in the tub . . . the shelving around the tub has a large number of bath and other related items, including towels . . . none of those items are knocked down.” A third photograph shows “a purple color along the right breast; that’s a change we see after death . . . you can see there’s some bloody material that has drained; that’s actually coming from a wound at the back of hear head.”
In Session The witness was able to examine Dr. Bryan Mitchell’s autopsy protocol. “She was in a good state of health at the time that she died . . . she had a number of injuries about her body . .. a laceration at the back of the head, behind the ear and not all the way at the back of the head. It measured one inch, and was horizontal . . . there was no disease in her organs . . .I would classify [Dr. Mitchell’s results] as normal.”

BCBM, IIRC this is the first I have seen testimony that there is evidence there's been water in the blood. Hopefully there will be some further explanation of such.

The jury is probably so bored and confused that they had to come up with something to focus their minds on - so the color thing... They never get to hear testimony flowing - it is either interrupted by the DT or the judge. Maybe that is the plan - confuse and conquer. Even if they have good notes, it will be difficult to get their trains of thoughts organized - if they ever get to fulfill their job as a jury.

With the way they are pop tarting the jury, I think the court should be obligated to hire some type of entertainment to occupy the jury when they are sent back to the jury room. Maybe a comedian or a magician or something.

Oh, fiddle fob, this is crazy!!!

yep, everytime, they get 10 minutes into it and a sidebar happens and they excuse the witness and the jury.

never seen anything like this before.

In Session The jurors and the witness are now gone. Attorney Goldberg is objecting, argues that the prosecution is asking the witness to speculate about what a specific portion of Dr. Mitchell’s autopsy protocol may mean. Prosecutor Glasgow responds, argues that Dr. Mitchell’s statement is “unfortunate.” Goldberg: “The only reason it’s unfortunate is because he doesn’t like it!” Judge: “If the State wants to ask this witness if Dr. Mitchell listed a manner of death, they can ask that. But to ask this witness what Dr. Mitchell meant when he included this sentence, I don’t know how she can do that . . . she cannot give her opinion of what Dr. Mitchell meant when he wrote that down in the report. He said ‘fall’ . . . what that means to the jury is beyond out ability to predict . . . you will not be allowed to ask her to speculate as to what Dr. Mitchell meant; she’s not in a position to give that opinion.”

In Session The judge sends for the witness and the jury.

In Session The jurors and the witness are back in the courtroom. Prosecutor Glasgow resumes his direct examination. “Did Dr. Mitchell give an opinion as to the manner of death in his autopsy protocol?” “No, he didn’t.” Objection/Sustained. “What are the five manners of death?” “We have natural, accident, suicide, homicide, and unexplained.” “Were any of those mentioned in Dr. Bryan Mitchell’s autopsy protocol?” Objection/Overruled. “No.” The defense asks for a sidebar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Renayz23