Dunkin' Donuts yanks Rachel Ray Ad

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh geez peeps it's just a scarf. They are fashionable now just like they were fashionable back in the 70's. I remember I had to have the matching scarf and engineers hat like my big sis. If we start seeing symbols in everything we are going to be in big trouble people. Someone somewhere could be offended by the style of glasses you wear or how you wear your hair. Be very very careful with jumping on the 'sensitivity' bandwagon, it might just run your *advertiser censored* over one day.

Lesson is: research what you wear!

No, the lesson is: Don't be so sensitive.

People have already posted how different signs, symbols, clothing and colors mean different things to different people.

The lesson is: Don't jump to conclusions.

Maybe Rachel Ray wore that scarf because an arabic friend gave it to her. Maybe she just liked the scarf. Don't immediately assume she's clueless, insensitive or making a statement. Of course, someone could have asked her about it, but it's much easier to just jump on that conclusion and start screaming.

The lesson is: Grow up.

And considering that the people in many of these countries will burn american flags at the drop of a hat, maybe they should take a lesson in sensitivity themselves.

People have already posted how different signs, symbols, clothing and colors mean different things to different people.

The lesson is: Don't jump to conclusions.

Maybe Rachel Ray wore that scarf because an arabic friend gave it to her. Maybe she just liked the scarf. Don't immediately assume she's clueless, insensitive or making a statement. Of course, someone could have asked her about it, but it's much easier to just jump on that conclusion and start screaming.

The lesson is: Grow up.

And considering that the people in many of these countries will burn american flags at the drop of a hat, maybe they should take a lesson in sensitivity themselves.

Actually, I assumed she wore it because they are in style, but yeah.

It's a commercial, not a random appearance. Hours go into deciding what an actor/personality will wear in commercial. Racheal Ray did not dress herself. Someone really slipped up.

All of us here could look in our closet and find something that offends someone. Certain colours might affend someone. Suppose you are walking down the street one day with a pair of black pants on a nice little red top and a jaunty little scarf that is primarily yellow and you just put it together because you like the colours. What are ya gonna do if a little old lady walks up to you and says I am a holocaust survivor and I am offended that you are wearing the colours of the german flag? Heck your hairstyle might offend someone. What if one day a supervisor calls you into their office and says you have the same hairstyle and hair colour as Jan's stepmother who use to beat her and lock her in a closet and it causes her trauma to look at your hair so we are going to have to ask that you cut your hair and change the colour? How sensitive would you be then? I said it before and I'll say it again, be careful about jumping on the sensitivity bandwagon....it might just run your *advertiser censored* over one day.

All of us here could look in our closet and find something that offends someone. Certain colours might affend someone. Suppose you are walking down the street one day with a pair of black pants on a nice little red top and a jaunty little scarf that is primarily yellow and you just put it together because you like the colours. What are ya gonna do if a little old lady walks up to you and says I am a holocaust survivor and I am offended that you are wearing the colours of the german flag? Heck your hairstyle might offend someone. What if one day a supervisor calls you into their office and says you have the same hairstyle and hair colour as Jan's stepmother who use to beat her and lock her in a closet and it causes her trauma to look at your hair so we are going to have to ask that you cut your hair and change the colour? How sensitive would you be then? I said it before and I'll say it again, be careful about jumping on the sensitivity bandwagon....it might just run your *advertiser censored* over one day.

I don't care if you shave a swastika into your pubes and walk down the street butt nekkid. But people do care what public personalities wear.

Actually, I assumed she wore it because they are in style, but yeah.

It's a commercial, not a random appearance. Hours go into deciding what an actor/personality will wear in commercial. Racheal Ray did not dress herself. Someone really slipped up.
I think you just pointed out why being overly sensitive is the problem and not the scarf. How in tarnation was a wardrobe person, corp. head or film director to know it would offend? It clearly did not have that effect on all who were involved with the production.

I think you just pointed out why being overly sensitive is the problem and not the scarf. How in tarnation was a wardrobe person, corp. head or film director to know it would offend? It clearly did not have that effect on all who were involved with the production.

I know, I find it really surprising.

Bottom line is, Dunkin' Donuts is a company. Obviously, they thought that there was something about the commercial that would cause them to lose money. That's why they pulled it.

If you're wearing crips colors and your boss is a blood, yeah, that'd be a problem. However for the most , your argument is moot.

We're not talking about any random hat or color. We're talking about symbols that are widely held in contempt.

So, you put a sheet over your head and walk through any neighborhood in Detroit. Then talk to me about being overly sensitive.

No, she really is clueless and stupid. Have you ever watched her show? Sammys? But that's beside the point. I'm blaming her stylist at this point, because I don't think she'd be smart enough to make any kind of connection.

Nobody is screaming.

I know, I find it really surprising.

Bottom line is, Dunkin' Donuts is a company. Obviously, they thought that there was something about the commercial that would cause them to lose money. That's why they pulled it.
Right-o. I just wish she was losing them money and they would dump her.

Right-o. I just wish she was losing them money and they would dump her.

Well, I certainly wouldn't patronize a company that used her as a spokesperson. Not that we have Dunkin' Donuts round these here parts anyways.

ooookaaay. I thought most people here were openminded, but I find more and more that is not the case. If someone is so offended by a damn scarf on a 30 -45 second spot on the internet then tough cookies. This is getting ridiculous.

To those of you who agree with this stupidity...Next time someone on WS tells you they are offended by your opinion/comments/signature line or avatar will YOU take them off WS or defend them? If you say you would not take them down then you are a hypocrite.

If you're wearing crips colors and your boss is a blood, yeah, that'd be a problem. However for the most , your argument is moot.

We're not talking about any random hat or color. We're talking about symbols that are widely held in contempt.

I have to say I did not realize it was anything other than a scarf until it was brought to my attention by an article someone forwarded to me that was written by someone who obviously has some issues (nothing to do with the scarf) and waaaayyy too much time on their hands.

I have to say I did not realize it was anything other than a scarf until it was brought to my attention by an article someone forwarded to me that was written by someone who obviously has some issues (nothing to do with the scarf) and waaaayyy too much time on their hands.

I'm sure you'll join me in telling these Muslim women to "toughen up" and wear the uniform their company provides? (where does your "tolerance" end?)

Click!

I'm also wondering what you think of the "scarf" now that you know what it stands for?

it is a free country. she has the right to wear what ever she wants. people have the right to refuse to spend their money in a store that runs a ad they find offensive. dunkin has the right to keep the ad up and risk a loss of profit or remove it because they are in the business of making money. freedom works both ways. she can wear what she wants but people are free to comment on it. when a court steps in to control what is worn or said it is a freedom issue. until then wear what you want and if someone wears something you find offensive speak up.

I'm sure you'll join me in telling these Muslim women to "toughen up" and wear the uniform their company provides? (where does your "tolerance" end?)

Click!

I'm also wondering what you think of the "scarf" now that you know what it stands for?

I think it is quite lovely and I might just go out and try to find one just like it. And I will probably get lots and lots of compliments on it. My friends are quite bright and have fulfilling lives so they have better things to do with their time than look for the evil meaning in everything.

But for those of you out there with nothing better to do....I suggest you remove anything red or black from your wardrobe as in some cultures those are considered 'evil' colours. And if you 'sign' don't use the sign for "I Love You" there is a video out there showing how it is actually the sign for the devil. So many things to have to worry about not wearing or doing. I guess if you have nothing better to do......

ooookaaay. I thought most people here were openminded, but I find more and more that is not the case. If someone is so offended by a damn scarf on a 30 -45 second spot on the internet then tough cookies. This is getting ridiculous.

To those of you who agree with this stupidity...Next time someone on WS tells you they are offended by your opinion/comments/signature line or avatar will YOU take them off WS or defend them? If you say you would not take them down then you are a hypocrite.

Where is your "openminded-ness" concerning those who don't like what the "damn scarf" stands for?

Nobody forced you to post on this thread. Nobody is forcing you to continue to do so. Obviously you're not through saying what you want to say, so say it.

it is a free country. she has the right to wear what ever she wants. people have the right to refuse to spend their money in a store that runs a ad they find offensive. dunkin has the right to keep the ad up and risk a loss of profit or remove it because they are in the business of making money. freedom works both ways. she can wear what she wants but people are free to comment on it. when a court steps in to control what is worn or said it is a freedom issue. until then wear what you want and if someone wears something you find offensive speak up.

This! :clap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yoohoo27
Back